Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

graysobe

Boo to Rescheduled Show in NYC!(Merged)

To all those whinging about flights - that's what travel insurance is for. Many people flying in will have seen shows already so its not like those peoplewill be missing out on seeing the 360 tour.

Jewish holidays are well known way in advance so this isn't U2's fault its the stadium / Jets organisation fault. Yom Kippur is the most imporant dateof the jewish calendar. It doesn't compare to either Shabbat or Sunday Church. Mostly because you don't eat or drink for 25 hours which can get prettyhard going. All jewish holidays start and finish at sunset.

U2 could have not bothered rescheduling at all so despite people's disappointment a little thank you should be given somewhere.

latkin wrote:

To all those whinging about flights - that's what travel insurance is for. Many people flying in will have seen shows already so its not like those people will be missing out on seeing the 360 tour.

Jewish holidays are well known way in advance so this isn't U2's fault its the stadium / Jets organisation fault. Yom Kippur is the most imporant date of the jewish calendar. It doesn't compare to either Shabbat or Sunday Church. Mostly because you don't eat or drink for 25 hours which can get pretty hard going. All jewish holidays start and finish at sunset.

U2 could have not bothered rescheduling at all so despite people's disappointment a little thank you should be given somewhere.

your gonna get grief for that!

latkin wrote:

To all those whinging about flights - that's what travel insurance is for. Many people flying in will have seen shows already so its not like those people will be missing out on seeing the 360 tour.

Jewish holidays are well known way in advance so this isn't U2's fault its the stadium / Jets organisation fault. Yom Kippur is the most imporant date of the jewish calendar. It doesn't compare to either Shabbat or Sunday Church. Mostly because you don't eat or drink for 25 hours which can get pretty hard going. All jewish holidays start and finish at sunset.

I doubt travel insurance will be any use here I'm afraid, unless you got specific event insurance. From an insurance company point of view achange to what you planned to do once you get to NY doesn't stop you travelling so if you cancel or look to change flights and hotel bookings that is avoluntary choice by you.

Would have been better off if they had delayed the concert rather than brought it forward as then you could always have tried to claim you were delayed on theway to the airport and missed your flight.

Please make it go away!!! It was my dream to see U2 live once in America. I was soooooooo happy for a few weeks to have tickets for NY. And now??? Guyscan't you just hire a few extra workers just to compensate 3! hours??? I will have a fab time in NY anyway but with U2 it would have been "HEAVEN ONEARTH"...

if people already live in NY and cant go on friday, why cant they go to the wednesday show instead? its not really A BIG DEAL is it? cant they go to thewednesday show instead. if it were the cardiff gig and was moved forward to the thursday instead instead of the saturday it really isnt life or death.

its the people that have to travel miles, on planes etc etc, thats the people who are really in the shit. you cant get plane ticket money and hotel rooms moneyback.........................

and its the JETS who should have moved the games date and not u2, so i dont think having a pop at the band or the management or the mods is fair. im afraid inall sadness, you just have to get on with it it eh? (for fans living in NY)

I think actually you have to have a pop at the band and their management - if the time of the game was changed back in April they had an obligation to let fansknow as soon as possible to avoid the situation we now have with people landed with flights and hotel bookings that don't tie in with the concert dates.

On this tour in particular the band have cut back on the number of cities they are playing so fans are having to travel further to get to shows. Effectivelythey have already shifted part of the travel costs of the tour from the band to the fans. So they must know that people will have more complex travelarrangements and are more likely to be having to use hotels etc as well.

Now I don't believe the band and their management would have done this lightly, and I suspect that there is more to it than has been stated so far. Inwhich case I certainly think the least they owe fans who might have spent hundreds if not thousands of pounds/dollars/euros on their trips which might now nothappen is a full explanation. Because, frankly, to blame what is virtually a last minute announcement on something that was known four or five months ago justdoesn't stand up.

andy scotson wrote:

I think actually you have to have a pop at the band and their management - if the time of the game was changed back in April they had an obligation to let fans know as soon as possible to avoid the situation we now have with people landed with flights and hotel bookings that don't tie in with the concert dates.

On this tour in particular the band have cut back on the number of cities they are playing so fans are having to travel further to get to shows. Effectively they have already shifted part of the travel costs of the tour from the band to the fans. So they must know that people will have more complex travel arrangements and are more likely to be having to use hotels etc as well.

Now I don't believe the band and their management would have done this lightly, and I suspect that there is more to it than has been stated so far. In which case I certainly think the least they owe fans who might have spent hundreds if not thousands of pounds/dollars/euros on their trips which might now not happen is a full explanation. Because, frankly, to blame what is virtually a last minute announcement on something that was known four or five months ago just doesn't stand up.

I completely agree. I just spoke with the airline company and there is no way they can change my 24th Sept ticket to a 22nd Sept one. Everythingis full.

Very disappointed by this whole mess...

drbushinger wrote:

New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority Public Affairs Office 50 State Route 120 East Rutherford, N.J. 07073 To Whom It May Concern: I was notified that the U2 concert at Giants Stadium, scheduled for Friday 9/25/09, has been rescheduled to Wednesday 9/23/09 due to a scheduling conflict with the NY Jets. In order to accommodate for the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur, which begins at sundown on Sunday September 27, a decision was made to move the Jets' game time from 4:30pm to 1pm. As I understand it, the staging for the U2 show requires 2 days for disassembly. This 3 hour shift apparently interfered with what I can only assume is a very tight schedule for the U2 staging crew. Therefore, in order to eliminate conflicting usage of Giants Stadium, U2 management decided or agreed to reschedule the U2 concert to Wednesday. This scheduling conflict and subsequent rescheduling is inexcusable. First of all, I am not entirely sure why the NY Jets feel compelled to move a football game because of a religious holiday. It sets a misguided precedent. If sports teams throughout the country were to adopt this type of scheduling policy, there would be no sports on Friday nights after sundown and no sports of any kind on Saturdays. To be thoroughly respectful of Christian faith, no sports games should be scheduled for Sundays at all. In fact, one could argue that moving the Jets game to 1pm is inconsiderate to Catholic Jets fans who wish to attend High Mass at noon. While it is certainly gracious of the Jets to accommodate their schedule for their Jewish fans that wish to celebrate Yom Kippur, it is unnecessary. One's religion should take priority over sports; if it doesn't, then I suppose those fans that choose sports over their religion would buy tickets to a Jets game regardless of when it's scheduled. Furthermore, if the Jets and the NJSEA choose to change their game schedules for one religion, they should do so for all religions equally and in the same manner. Furthermore, the Jets and the NJSEA had 4 months to make this change - Yom Kippur has been on the calendar for quite some time. You chose to make your change and notify ticket holders within a month of the concert. U2 fans that have made travel and scheduling arrangements are now out of luck because of your poor judgment and scheduling incompetence. I expect a detailed explanation of your decision regarding this matter in timely manner. Thank you.

I made some changes so that it would be more appropriate to send to the AttorneyGeneral's office in New Jersey.

copy and paste, enter your name

http://www.nj.gov/lps/formmail.htm

------------------

To Whom It May Concern: I was notified that the U2 concert at Giants Stadium, scheduled for Friday 9/25/09, has been rescheduled to Wednesday 9/23/09 due to ascheduling conflict with the NY Jets. In order to accommodate for the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur, which begins at sundown on Sunday September 27, a decisionwas made to move the Jets' game time from 4:30pm to 1pm. As I understand it, the staging for the U2 show requires 2 days for disassembly. This 3 hour shiftapparently interfered with what I can only assume is a very tight schedule for the U2 staging crew. Therefore, in order to eliminate conflicting usage ofGiants Stadium, U2 management decided or agreed to reschedule the U2 concert to Wednesday.

This scheduling conflict and subsequent rescheduling is inexcusable.Many of the attendees are not from the New York/New Jersey area, and have made costly lodging and transportation plans in which many of them arenon-refundable. The U2 event was the impetus behind a visit to the New Jersey/New York region, and its rescheduling mayresult in cancelled visit and forfeiture of services paid for. This impact on the on the visitors could result in alasting negative memory of the region, and will certainly result in a loss of spending in the area.

If these chain of events have shown anything, it is that Live Nationhas been extremely irresponsible in resolving the time conflict in a much more timely manner, and therefore inconsiderate of their customers who are U2fans. We urge you to investigate the matter further to and possibly seek retribution for damages inflicted as a resultof the event's rescheduling. This billion dollar company clearly believes that it is immune from legalramifications of violating the rights of the average individual, and we sincerely hope that the Attorney General's office of New Jersey does notagree.

Respectively Yours,

XXXXXXX, A U2 Fan

Nice form letter. Everyone who is upset..instead of ranting, take the time to send this letter to the Attorney General. You will be made whole if enough peoplereport their consumer rights being violated.....

For those who cannot read it properly and keep saying that the band had no other options:

"The spectacular staging installation for the U2 360° tour requires up to 2 days to disassemble. The original 4:15 PM game time scheduled by the NY Jetsprovided enough time for the band to load out the set. The change to 1 PM was logistically impossible for U2. In order to accommodate the New York Jets, theNFL and the state of New Jersey, which owns the stadium, and out of respect for U2 and Jets' fans of Jewish faith, U2 agreed to move their show rather thanpursue other options."

Again: U2 AGREED TO MOVE THEIR SHOW RATHER THAN PURSUE OTHER OPTIONS!!!

I still don't understand how the three hours makes that much of a difference. Seems like it was pretty irresponsible planning in the first place cuttingthe time so close. There had to have been a way to work around this and not change tens of thousands of peoples plans. As Marques pointed out seems like theyjust took the easy road (for them) and changed the date.

It strikes me that with the statement that has been published on U2.com, coupled with the other evidence that the game time was shifted back in April, the bandor promoters might have left themselves open to legal action.

I know there will be get out clauses about not being liable for any subsequent losses caused by rescheduling or cancellation, but I would have thought there isa strong arguement for saying that if it was known in April that the concert date would not be honoured then the promoters and/or band have been negligent innot passing this information on to people who had purchased tickets when they must have recongised that people would be entering into other contracts, forflights, hotels etc, consequent on the concert.

It might not apply for people who sorted their travel and accommodation prior to the change in the time of the game being agreed, but those who entered intoflight and hotel bookings in good faith after that time may well be able to construct a case on the basis that the promoters have not taken reasonable steps tonotify them of the change in arrangements and that they have suffered a consequent loss.

This is going to cost me a whole lot of money to change my airline reservations & hotel room that I just can't figure out what to do!!!!!!

When you purchase a ticket and make detailed travel plans to attend a concert, you should be prepared to deal with all of the potential roadblocks whichmight prevent you from carrying out such plans. Delayed flights, inclement weather, band illness, power outages...etc, etc,. While I would be tremendouslydisappointed should any of these arise, I would not be angry. But when you purchase a ticket, you also assume that those variables over which the responsibleparties should have control, actually do. You have entered a contractual agreement in which you simply expect that reasonable planning in the face of millionsof dollars transacted includes every possible contigent plan before setting a date. And when that does not happen, you have every right to be angry. As forwhom to direct that anger towards, it seems hard to discern. But it all comes down to professionalism. This entire scenario reeks of amateurism and, as aresult, is an insult to those of us who expected it not to be.

I sent a letter of complaint to LiveNation, received response below. Talk about taking no responsibility whatsoever !!

<<Dear John,

Thank you for contacting Live Nation Customer Care with your inquiry.

Live Nation is proud to promote and produce this event, but we are not selling tickets for the event. Please contact the venue box office, or review theartist's web site for more information on where to file your complaint.

The only part Live Nation had in this event, was providing the funds for U2 to hold the event at that stadium.

Sincerely,

Julian

Live Nation Customer Care>>

nobodyl wrote:

I sent a letter of complaint to LiveNation, received response below. Talk about taking no responsibility whatsoever !!

<<Dear John,

Live Nation is proud to promote and produce this event, but we are not selling tickets for the event. Please contact the venue box office, or review the artist's web site for more information on where to file your complaint.

The only part Live Nation had in this event, was providing the funds for U2 to hold the event at that stadium.

Sincerely,

Julian

Don't waste your time with contacting LN, go direct to the person who can get answers to our questions and get things rectified: AttorneyGeneral of New Jersey.

This is an outrage...professionals that didn't know better than to look at the calendar for significant events only a few months out should be fired. All ticketholders should request refund to offest loss on airfare and hotel reservations and leave stadium empty. Typical situation where the loyalfans take the hit...it's just not right! Religious reason is nothing more than a lame excuse for someone who didn't do their job!

nobodyl wrote:

<<Dear John,

Live Nation is proud to promote and produce this event, but we are not selling tickets for the event. Please contact the venue box office, or review the artist's web site for more information on where to file your complaint.

Sincerely,

Julian

Well, let's see....Ticketmaster is the person who sold me my ticket.....but wait, who owns ticketmaster?

Oh, they merged with Live Nation?!!! Wow, now who do I go to?

andy scotson wrote:

It strikes me that with the statement that has been published on U2.com, coupled with the other evidence that the game time was shifted back in April, the band or promoters might have left themselves open to legal action.

That would really depend on what the promoters had actually done in the intervening months when they were aware that there was a problem. The timecould have been spent trying to persuade the venue/authorities it wouldn't be an issue or even trying to prevent the event from being canceled completelyand trying to come to some sort of settlement with a revised date. If they can prove they have been trying to work in the best interests of the fans duringthat time period then I think they probably would have a legitimate defense in arguing why there was such a delay in the announcement, if there was courtaction brought. The whole idea of a court case is crazy from someone the other side of the Atlantic though. It just wouldn't happen outside the US or evenbe considered. It would very much be a case of lumping it.

On the flip side, why on earth boycott the show if you are able to still go though? I don't get what people are actually trying to prove here. Get a refundif you want, but the show is great and if you really wanted to see u2 that much in the first place that you spent the $ to do it, just go and enjoy the show!Of course its a little different if you have lost money in reservations and now can't afford to go, which I totally appreciate and have sympathy for, butboycotting the show as a protest? Don't get it.

Perhaps I am alone in this sentiment - I view going to gigs as a life experience rather than a consumer right - and the bumps along the way, as part of anexperience of being a fan as well as the euphoric highs. I guess I'm odd though!

P.S. Spare a thought for the 80,000 Michael Jackson fans who originally bought tickets from all over the world and to go to the first of the 02 dates, which hehad already rescheduled once 'due to technical difficulties' before his death. Unless they went though a tour operator, they got no refund for otherexpenses. That's potentially a lot of fans who would have bought flights, booked hotels etc twice...

Clur wrote:

andy scotson wrote:

It strikes me that with the statement that has been published on U2.com, coupled with the other evidence that the game time was shifted back in April, the band or promoters might have left themselves open to legal action.

That would really depend on what the promoters had actually done in the intervening months when they were aware that there was a problem. The time could have been spent trying to persuade the venue/authorities it wouldn't be an issue or even trying to prevent the event from being canceled completely and trying to come to some sort of settlement with a revised date. If they can prove they have been trying to work in the best interests of the fans during that time period then I think they probably would have a legitimate defense in arguing why there was such a delay in the announcement, if there was court action brought. The whole idea of a court case is crazy from someone the other side of the Atlantic though. It just wouldn't happen outside the US or even be considered. It would very much be a case of lumping it.

On the flip side, why on earth boycott the show if you are able to still go though? I don't get what people are actually trying to prove here. Get a refund if you want, but the show is great and if you really wanted to see u2 that much in the first place that you spent the $ to do it, just go and enjoy the show! Of course its a little different if you have lost money in reservations and now can't afford to go, which I totally appreciate and have sympathy for, but boycotting the show as a protest? Don't get it.

Perhaps I am alone in this sentiment - I view going to gigs as a life experience rather than a consumer right - and the bumps along the way, as part of an experience of being a fan as well as the euphoric highs. I guess I'm odd though!

P.S. Spare a thought for the 80,000 Michael Jackson fans who originally bought tickets from all over the world and to go to the first of the 02 dates, which he had already rescheduled once 'due to technical difficulties' before his death. Unless they went though a tour operator, they got no refund for other expenses. That's potentially a lot of fans who would have bought flights, booked hotels etc
twice

I gotta kick this excuse to the curb....

A death, accident, weather, etc. are all unforseen events.....THIS ONE WAS KNOWN FOR ALMOST HALF A YEAR! If any one of the band members dies within the month,I'm sure I'll be a lot more understanding....unless that happens though, you can be sure I'm going to express my displeasure through anyoutlet.

Clur

What people are trying to prove here is that we deserve respect. It's great for you to tell us that there are situations in life that goes beyond ourcontrol...and this is the problem here!! No acceptable excuses, no respect for fans that just like you invested for a "life experience". Boycott orlegal action are legitimate moves for those who think they deserve more respect from the band that didn't pursue further options.

graysobe wrote:

...and to add to that last post, Live Nation (who I still feel is the real culprit) should have adamantly opposed any change in the date.....

I'm assume that they already had a contract in place with the New York-New Jersey Sports Authority concerning the date, and they certainly had a contract with the fans!

Live Nation the real culprit? Are you kidding? And just how do you think that Live Nation would have the jurisdiction to adamntly oppose or refuse any changein an event date? They're only a ticket broker. They have no say in matters of when an event takes place or the rescheduling of any such event.

I can totally understand people being upset about this going down and the issues it's causing in regards to hotel stays, airfares and the like. But someof you are really out of control, off base and ridiculously infantile with some of the comments being made.

Obviously the Jets game had to be rescheduled for whatever reasons thus affecting the already scheduled U2 concert. RESCHEDULED. By the very definition itmeans to change and schedule again. IE; Change of plans. Meaning when this concert was scheduled, it was an approved go ahead for U2 to utilize the stadiumfor a concert event. This is all outside of even U2's control. It sucks... it's a raw deal for U2 and their fans and I totally feel for those who areput out by this.

graysobe wrote:

...and to add to that last post, Live Nation (who I still feel is the real culprit) should have adamantly opposed any change in the date.....

I'm assume that they already had a contract in place with the New York-New Jersey Sports Authority concerning the date, and they certainly had a contract with the fans!

Live Nation the real culprit? Are you kidding? And just how do you think that Live Nation would have the jurisdiction to adamntly oppose or refuse any changein an event date? They're only a ticket broker. They have no say in matters of when an event takes place or the rescheduling of any such event.

I can totally understand people being upset about this going down and the issues it's causing in regards to hotel stays, airfares and the like. But someof you are really out of control, off base and ridiculously infantile with some of the comments being made.

Obviously the Jets game had to be rescheduled for whatever reasons thus affecting the already scheduled U2 concert. RESCHEDULED. By the very definition itmeans to change and schedule again. IE; Change of plans. Meaning when this concert was scheduled, it was an approved go ahead for U2 to utilize the stadiumfor a concert event. This is all outside of even U2's control. It sucks... it's a raw deal for U2 and their fans and I totally feel for those who areput out by this.

gibbo1968 wrote:

I'm in the same boat as the last two reply's.

Flyin to NY from the UK on thursday so fucked.

No doubt we'll get a statement from bono on how sorry he is about the mix up but that's not good enough.

very pissed off with the band at this moment.

Really sorry about your sitch, Gibbo. But you know none of this is the band's fault. U2 has to ask permission to use the stadiums and obvioulsy they hadpermission originally. This is a rescheduling thing that made the concert get bumped. Blame the Jets organization.

gibbo1968 wrote:

I'm in the same boat as the last two reply's.

Flyin to NY from the UK on thursday so fucked.

No doubt we'll get a statement from bono on how sorry he is about the mix up but that's not good enough.

very pissed off with the band at this moment.

Really sorry about your sitch, Gibbo. But you know none of this is the band's fault. U2 has to ask permission to use the stadiums and obvioulsy they hadpermission originally. This is a rescheduling thing that made the concert get bumped. Blame the Jets organization.