Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

graysobe

Boo to Rescheduled Show in NYC!(Merged)

gaffano wrote:

I can't emphasis it more..the best way to a solution is to contact the Attorney General of New Jersey. Her name is Anne Milgram. She took on the cause of Bruce Springsteen fans who felt mis-treated a few months ago, and won. I am not sure who is at fault, but with many people losing $$ with an inadequate explanation, this warrants attention.....contact her office and tell her your story.

Great advice, Gaffano.

I hope many of you reach out with your complaints. Your complaints should be heard and this would be the right avenue to take. Not blaming the band.

And it's good to see someone recognizes the fact that this event is taking place in NJ and not NYC.

gaffano wrote:

I can't emphasis it more..the best way to a solution is to contact the Attorney General of New Jersey. Her name is Anne Milgram. She took on the cause of Bruce Springsteen fans who felt mis-treated a few months ago, and won. I am not sure who is at fault, but with many people losing $$ with an inadequate explanation, this warrants attention.....contact her office and tell her your story.

Great advice, Gaffano.

I hope many of you reach out with your complaints. Your complaints should be heard and this would be the right avenue to take. Not blaming the band.

And it's good to see someone recognizes the fact that this event is taking place in NJ and not NYC.

ceallach67 wrote:

gaffano wrote:

Great advice, Gaffano.

Yep..blaming U2, LN, Jets, etc with limited info at this point is unproductive. I personally think U2 would not intentionally inconvenience fansin this way. However, there is no doubt that many people out there were mis-treated as consumers and given an insufficient explanation. Let the properauthorities investigate and more than likely you will be made happy in the end..but you have to contact them, they are only going to get involved if theyreceive many complaints....

If U2 comes back next year will we get another shot at Fan Club tickets if we use refund?

This is total horsesh*t. I am do not celebrate Yom Kippur, nor am I a Jets fan. I purchased tickets specifically to enjoy the show on a Friday night, with myhusband (who has never seen the band live) and a bunch of friends. I did not want have to worry about rushing back for work the next day. I am hugelydisappointing in the band and management. I agree, "way to treat you fans!"

ceallach67 wrote:
graysobe wrote:

...and to add to that last post, Live Nation (who I still feel is the real culprit) should have adamantly opposed any change in the date.....

I'm assume that they already had a contract in place with the New York-New Jersey Sports Authority concerning the date, and they certainly had a contract with the fans!mad.gif

-----

Pulled directly from their annual report:

ITEM 1.BUSINESS

Our Company

We are the largest producer of live music concerts inthe world. In 2008, we connected over 52 million live

music fans with their favorite performers atapproximately 22,000 events in 33 countries around the world and

drove over 72 million unique visitorsto

livenation.com. Globally, we own,operate, have booking rights for and/

or have an equity interest in 159 venues,including

House ofBlues® music venues and prestigious locations such

as

The Fillmore in San Francisco, the Hollywood Palladium, the Heineken Music Hall in Amsterdam and theO2

Dublin.

NFL Changes Time of Jets Game on Yom Kippur
NFL changes time of Jets game vs. Titans on Yom Kippur from 4:15 to 1 p.m.
By DENNIS WASZAK Jr. AP Sports Writer
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. April 17, 2009 (AP)
The Associated Press

The NFL has moved up the start time of the New York Jets' game against the Tennessee Titans on September 27 after the team complained to the leagueabout having to play home games on consecutive Jewish holidays.

The league made the change Friday, rescheduling the 4:15 start to 1 p.m. a day after Jets owner Woody Johnson sent a letter to commissioner Roger Goodellsuggesting the switch to allow fans to arrive home before sundown on Yom Kippur, the Jewish day of atonement.

The Jets' home opener against New England is 1 p.m. on Sept. 20, which falls during Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year.

"By changing the time of the Tennessee game from 4:15 p.m. to 1 p.m., the NFL has provided the best compromise to resolve our schedulingconflict," Johnson said in a statement issued by the team. The Jets owner also thanked Goodell and Howard Katz, the league's senior vice president ofbroadcasting and media operations, for their prompt response.

Jets officials called the league offices first on Wednesday to express their concern, and Johnson followed with a formal letter Thursday.

In the letter to Goodell, Johnson wrote: "There has long been an understanding that neither the Jets nor the Giants fans should have to bear completelythe brunt of this issue since we are in the largest Jewish market in the country."

Rep. Anthony Weiner, a U.S. congressman who represents parts of Brooklyn and Queens, also sent a letter to Goodell on Friday urging the league toaccommodate the Jets' Jewish fans.

"This commonsense solution is a win for everyone involved," Weiner said, praising the league's decision. "The NFL can maximize thegreatest audience while Jewish New York Jets fans can support their team and respect their religion."

As a result of the schedule change, the Titans-Jets and Giants-Buccaneers games will be televised head-to-head on different networks. The Giants are on theroad for both Jewish holidays, with a game at Dallas at 8:20 p.m. in Week 2, and the game at Tampa, Fla., the following Sunday.

I feel for everyone affected. I understand the frustration and anger. If in fact this was known as an issue for 5-6 months, there should be at a minimum aplausible expanation as to why, a month before the show this change has occurred. Buying a concert ticket last March/April is one thing...but in the subsequentmonths most folks would have made arrangements to travel distances to the show. I don't know where the blame lies but someone should give a much betterexplanation based on the circumstances as they are being bantied around.

My sympathy for all the ruined vacations.

How could U2 management not have known this ? If they did, why did they wait so long ???

NFL Changes Time of Jets Game on Yom Kippur
NFL changes time of Jets game vs. Titans on Yom Kippur from 4:15 to 1 p.m.
By DENNIS WASZAK Jr. AP Sports Writer
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. April 17, 2009 (AP)
The Associated Press
Post a Comment
Font Size
Print
RSS
Share this story with friends
Facebook
Reddit
Twitter
StumbleUpon
More

The NFL has moved up the start time of the New York Jets' game against the Tennessee Titans on September 27 after the team complained to the leagueabout having to play home games on consecutive Jewish holidays.

The league made the change Friday, rescheduling the 4:15 start to 1 p.m. a day after Jets owner Woody Johnson sent a letter to commissioner Roger Goodellsuggesting the switch to allow fans to arrive home before sundown on Yom Kippur, the Jewish day of atonement.

The Jets' home opener against New England is 1 p.m. on Sept. 20, which falls during Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year.

"By changing the time of the Tennessee game from 4:15 p.m. to 1 p.m., the NFL has provided the best compromise to resolve our schedulingconflict," Johnson said in a statement issued by the team. The Jets owner also thanked Goodell and Howard Katz, the league's senior vice president ofbroadcasting and media operations, for their prompt response.

Jets officials called the league offices first on Wednesday to express their concern, and Johnson followed with a formal letter Thursday.

In the letter to Goodell, Johnson wrote: "There has long been an understanding that neither the Jets nor the Giants fans should have to bear completelythe brunt of this issue since we are in the largest Jewish market in the country."

Rep. Anthony Weiner, a U.S. congressman who represents parts of Brooklyn and Queens, also sent a letter to Goodell on Friday urging the league toaccommodate the Jets' Jewish fans.

"This commonsense solution is a win for everyone involved," Weiner said, praising the league's decision. "The NFL can maximize thegreatest audience while Jewish New York Jets fans can support their team and respect their religion."

As a result of the schedule change, the Titans-Jets and Giants-Buccaneers games will be televised head-to-head on different networks. The Giants are on theroad for both Jewish holidays, with a game at Dallas at 8:20 p.m. in Week 2, and the game at Tampa, Fla., the following Sunday.

Another thing to note, bands sell tickets so far in advance now, U2 sold these tickets 5 months ahead of time. For 5 months all the money they collected inticket sales is basically an interest free loan from the fans. Another abuse of the fans by the powers that be.

Imagine offering a service and requiring people to pay 5 1/2 months in advance before they even get the service !!!

graysobe wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

graysobe wrote:

...and to add to that last post, Live Nation (who I still feel is the real culprit) should have adamantly opposed any change in the date.....

I'm assume that they already had a contract in place with the New York-New Jersey Sports Authority concerning the date, and they certainly had a contract with the fans!

Live Nation the real culprit? Are you kidding? And just how do you think that Live Nation would have the jurisdiction to adamntly oppose or refuse any change in an event date? They're only a ticket broker. They have no say in matters of when an event takes place or the rescheduling of any such event.

I can totally understand people being upset about this going down and the issues it's causing in regards to hotel stays, airfares and the like. But some of you are really out of control, off base and ridiculously infantile with some of the comments being made.

Obviously the Jets game had to be rescheduled for whatever reasons thus affecting the already scheduled U2 concert. RESCHEDULED. By the very definition it means to change and schedule again. IE; Change of plans. Meaning when this concert was scheduled, it was an approved go ahead for U2 to utilize the stadium for a concert event. This is all outside of even U2's control. It sucks... it's a raw deal for U2 and their fans and I totally feel for those who are put out by this.

It appears that many people don't understand what Live Nation does as a business model, so I will spell it out for you:

Live Nation is a producer of events! What does this include????? SETTING THE DATE OF EVENT!

You think they just pull pieces of paper out of a hat with the date of the concert? Absolutely ridiculous! Negotiations between the venue management and the producer (read: Live Nation) hammer out details that plainly state the fees that go to the venue, as well as the schedule of the event.

Why does Live Nation fail here? They got a date promised to them from the management of Giants Stadium. They should have stood their ground with only month to go because I'm sure they had a contractual agreement.

What could have been the other option? TELL US BACK IN APRIL THAT THERE WAS A PROBLEM!

For those of you who want to exculpate Live Nation from any fault, you are delusional!

-----

ITEM 1. BUSINESS

Our Company

We are the largest producer of live music concerts in the world. In 2008, we connected over 52 million live

music fans with their favorite performers at approximately 22,000 events in 33 countries around the world and

drove over 72 million unique visitors to
livenation.com
. Globally, we own, operate, have booking rights for and/

or have an equity interest in 159 venues, including
House of Blues
®
music venues and prestigious locations such

as
The Fillmore
in San Francisco, the Hollywood Palladium, the Heineken Music Hall in Amsterdam and the O

Dublin.

Thanks for that info; I didn't realize that Live Nation acted as the scheduler of events; just the promoter. It was my understanding that U2'smanagement would inform of the dates they wanted and have Live Nation promote and sell tickets for said dates for the venues that they promote events for.

Anyhow, regardless, Live Nation still would not have the right to tell a franchise team what they could do with their own stadium. This was a rescheduledevent. I would imagine any contract contained verbage that protected the stadiums' team franchises the option for schedule changes in the event of asituation such as this. Live Nation doesn't own the stadiums or the arenas for which they promote events. Bottom line.

graysobe wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

graysobe wrote:

I'm assume that they already had a contract in place with the New York-New Jersey Sports Authority concerning the date, and they certainly had a contract with the fans!

Live Nation the real culprit? Are you kidding? And just how do you think that Live Nation would have the jurisdiction to adamntly oppose or refuse any change in an event date? They're only a ticket broker. They have no say in matters of when an event takes place or the rescheduling of any such event.

I can totally understand people being upset about this going down and the issues it's causing in regards to hotel stays, airfares and the like. But some of you are really out of control, off base and ridiculously infantile with some of the comments being made.

Obviously the Jets game had to be rescheduled for whatever reasons thus affecting the already scheduled U2 concert. RESCHEDULED. By the very definition it means to change and schedule again. IE; Change of plans. Meaning when this concert was scheduled, it was an approved go ahead for U2 to utilize the stadium for a concert event. This is all outside of even U2's control. It sucks... it's a raw deal for U2 and their fans and I totally feel for those who are put out by this.

It appears that many people don't understand what Live Nation does as a business model, so I will spell it out for you:

Live Nation is a producer of events! What does this include????? SETTING THE DATE OF EVENT!

You think they just pull pieces of paper out of a hat with the date of the concert? Absolutely ridiculous! Negotiations between the venue management and the producer (read: Live Nation) hammer out details that plainly state the fees that go to the venue, as well as the schedule of the event.

Why does Live Nation fail here? They got a date promised to them from the management of Giants Stadium. They should have stood their ground with only month to go because I'm sure they had a contractual agreement.

What could have been the other option? TELL US BACK IN APRIL THAT THERE WAS A PROBLEM!

For those of you who want to exculpate Live Nation from any fault, you are delusional!

-----

ITEM 1. BUSINESS

Our Company

We are the largest producer of live music concerts in the world. In 2008, we connected over 52 million live

music fans with their favorite performers at approximately 22,000 events in 33 countries around the world and

drove over 72 million unique visitors to
livenation.com
. Globally, we own, operate, have booking rights for and/

or have an equity interest in 159 venues, including
House of Blues
®
music venues and prestigious locations such

as
The Fillmore
in San Francisco, the Hollywood Palladium, the Heineken Music Hall in Amsterdam and the O

Dublin.

Thanks for that info; I didn't realize that Live Nation acted as the scheduler of events; just the promoter. It was my understanding that U2'smanagement would inform of the dates they wanted and have Live Nation promote and sell tickets for said dates for the venues that they promote events for.

Anyhow, regardless, Live Nation still would not have the right to tell a franchise team what they could do with their own stadium. This was a rescheduledevent. I would imagine any contract contained verbage that protected the stadiums' team franchises the option for schedule changes in the event of asituation such as this. Live Nation doesn't own the stadiums or the arenas for which they promote events. Bottom line.

It seems like these two guys actually made the decision to change the event date. Send them letters and emails of complaint if you can:

Dennis Robinson, President and CEO of the New Jersey Sports & Exposition Authority and Thad Sheely, Executive Vice President - Stadium Development andFinance of the New York Jets

Here's the link to the article:

http://meadowlands.com/uploadedFiles/Events/U2.pdf?n=386

Yom Kippur doesn't start until sun down on Sunday night, so this is really a effort to accommodate Jets fans. They have a whole season of games to watchlive at the stadium, but we only have two nights to enjoy the band. Clearly, the stadium is more worried about how much money they will make off of theirbeloved Jets fans. I hope U2 considers a different venue, that cares a little more about their fans, in the future.

This was so very unnecessary and completely avoidable!

I hope the discussion does not end with this forum. The letters that have been suggested to the Attorney General and to Principal Management are really good -I hope everyone seconds them.

It is unbelievable to throw in the religious towel - there are people from all over the world in America. Have the Jets requested schedule changes in respectof all major religious holidays?

I keep hoping that a better solution can be achieved before everyone refunds their tickets and counts their losses - but with all the announcements out there,it doesn't seem likely, which is truly disheartening.

And for all those people who think the rest of us are infantile, you are truly missing the point!

Anyway, the Mets are not home from the 23rd on (if I read their schedule correctly) and the new CitiField I hear is lovely. So how about Queens? U2 could evenadd a Saturday show to make up for all of this and still have plenty of time to dismantle the claw and move it to Washington.

gaffano wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

gaffano wrote:

Great advice, Gaffano.

Yep..blaming U2, LN, Jets, etc with limited info at this point is unproductive. I personally think U2 would not intentionally inconvenience fans in this way. However, there is no doubt that many people out there were mis-treated as consumers and given an insufficient explanation. Let the proper authorities investigate and more than likely you will be made happy in the end..but you have to contact them, they are only going to get involved if they receive many complaints....

Right. What the hell would U2 have to gain by intenionally incoveniencing fans? Or have their own tour schedule affected for that matter. These tickets werebought back in March. If the dates were rescheduled in April or whatever time people are saying they read, U2 would haven't known when the added thesecond show after the sold out Thursday show. It probably would have been a much better idea to have planned the shows for the 23rd and the 24th to begin withconsidering the shows are scheduled in football season and they are using a football stadium for their concerts.

People seem to be forgetting that this is all happening within the football season and Giants stadium is the home stadium for two franchise teams. This isprobably one of the reasons why U2 has avoided US stadium tours with the last couple tours.

gaffano wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

gaffano wrote:

Great advice, Gaffano.

Yep..blaming U2, LN, Jets, etc with limited info at this point is unproductive. I personally think U2 would not intentionally inconvenience fans in this way. However, there is no doubt that many people out there were mis-treated as consumers and given an insufficient explanation. Let the proper authorities investigate and more than likely you will be made happy in the end..but you have to contact them, they are only going to get involved if they receive many complaints....

Right. What the hell would U2 have to gain by intenionally incoveniencing fans? Or have their own tour schedule affected for that matter. These tickets werebought back in March. If the dates were rescheduled in April or whatever time people are saying they read, U2 would haven't known when the added thesecond show after the sold out Thursday show. It probably would have been a much better idea to have planned the shows for the 23rd and the 24th to begin withconsidering the shows are scheduled in football season and they are using a football stadium for their concerts.

People seem to be forgetting that this is all happening within the football season and Giants stadium is the home stadium for two franchise teams. This isprobably one of the reasons why U2 has avoided US stadium tours with the last couple tours.

nyny wrote:

I hope the discussion does not end with this forum. The letters that have been suggested to the Attorney General and to Principal Management are really good - I hope everyone seconds them.

It is unbelievable to throw in the religious towel - there are people from all over the world in America. Have the Jets requested schedule changes in respect of all major religious holidays?

I keep hoping that a better solution can be achieved before everyone refunds their tickets and counts their losses - but with all the announcements out there, it doesn't seem likely, which is truly disheartening.

And for all those people who think the rest of us are infantile, you are truly missing the point!

Anyway, the Mets are not home from the 23rd on (if I read their schedule correctly) and the new CitiField I hear is lovely. So how about Queens? U2 could even add a Saturday show to make up for all of this and still have plenty of time to dismantle the claw and move it to Washington.

While I feel for those who are having to deal with this mess of a situation and I truly hope that you all do make your complaints heard to the correct parties,in fact I encourage everyone to do just that, I just thought SOME of the complaints made and blaming come off as a bit infantile. But then I can totallyunderstand why everyone is feeling as they are so I apologize for making that comment. And no, I'm not missing the point. Just trying to provide a littleclear and rational perspective. This is a shitty situation for U2 fans... all the way around. And like I said, I feel for everyone who is affected by this crapand really hope that it works out for everyone. .

Good suggestion for Mets' field, though I believe that it was said that U2 specifically needed a football stadium.

nyny wrote:

I hope the discussion does not end with this forum. The letters that have been suggested to the Attorney General and to Principal Management are really good - I hope everyone seconds them.

It is unbelievable to throw in the religious towel - there are people from all over the world in America. Have the Jets requested schedule changes in respect of all major religious holidays?

I keep hoping that a better solution can be achieved before everyone refunds their tickets and counts their losses - but with all the announcements out there, it doesn't seem likely, which is truly disheartening.

Anyway, the Mets are not home from the 23rd on (if I read their schedule correctly) and the new CitiField I hear is lovely. So how about Queens? U2 could even add a Saturday show to make up for all of this and still have plenty of time to dismantle the claw and move it to Washington.

While I feel for those who are having to deal with this mess of a situation and I truly hope that you all do make your complaints heard to the correct parties,in fact I encourage everyone to do just that, I just thought SOME of the complaints made and blaming come off as a bit infantile. But then I can totallyunderstand why everyone is feeling as they are so I apologize for making that comment. And no, I'm not missing the point. Just trying to provide a littleclear and rational perspective. This is a shitty situation for U2 fans... all the way around. And like I said, I feel for everyone who is affected by this crapand really hope that it works out for everyone. .

Good suggestion for Mets' field, though I believe that it was said that U2 specifically needed a football stadium.

AGAIN:

"The spectacular staging installation for the U2 360° tour requires up to 2 days to disassemble. The original 4:15 PM game time scheduled by the NY Jetsprovided enough time for the band to load out the set. The change to 1 PM was logistically impossible for U2. In order to accommodate the New York Jets, theNFL and the state of New Jersey, which owns the stadium, and out of respect for U2 and Jets' fans of Jewish faith, U2 agreed to move their show rather thanpursue other options."

U2 AGREED TO MOVE THEIR SHOW RATHER THAN PURSUE OTHER OPTIONS...

So what´s the point of suggestions like Met´s field if the band doesn´t care about it...

I'm irate, not because of added expenses this introduces to so many other fans (I'm sorry for you!) who need to change plane tickets, but simplyabout the fact that I've been planning on the show for months and now I simply cannot go. To drive 300 miles during the middle of the work week for a rockshow is simply not an option when I have a meeting until 7pm on Weds (showtime). Ticketmaster mentioned nothing about Yom Kippur in their email, and by the waythe NFL has a game scheduled at Tennessee for Christmas Day! And if the Jewish holiday were the truly reason, why didn't somebody notice it earlier?Moreover, changing a show by two days to accommodate a 3 hour NFL schedule change? C'mon! Something is fishy. Shame on U2 forletting this happen. Great music and insights for years, but you guys really screwed your most devoted fans on this event. What the heck were you thinkingthree weeks before the show!

marques wrote:

AGAIN:

"The spectacular staging installation for the U2 360° tour requires up to 2 days to disassemble. The original 4:15 PM game time scheduled by the NY Jets provided enough time for the band to load out the set. The change to 1 PM was logistically impossible for U2. In order to accommodate the New York Jets, the NFL and the state of New Jersey, which owns the stadium, and out of respect for U2 and Jets' fans of Jewish faith, U2 agreed to move their show rather than pursue other options."

U2 AGREED TO MOVE THEIR SHOW RATHER THAN PURSUE OTHER OPTIONS...

So what´s the point of suggestions like Met´s field if the band doesn´t care about it...

---I guess I would rather not believe that the band doesn't care about it, you know?

I can think of at least 2 major shows they should have canceled but they didn't - in fact I don't know of any show they postponed or rescheduled ever,has there been one yet?

Well, blame their press for writing that...I am suposed to believe in an official statement from the band

My thought is that band mgmt knew about the time change, and thought they would play it out, use the Euro tour as a test to see if they could get the load outtime down to accommodate the show and the Jet's game time. When that didn't happen, had to reschedule the show.

Poor planning/judgement on (probably) several people's parts. I only hope my flight gets in on time or I will miss the Wednesday show. I can't affordto pay the change fee on the airline.