Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

graysobe

Boo to Rescheduled Show in NYC!(Merged)

Here is another option, contact the NY/NJ local consumer reporters..they love to get involved in stuff like this. Once the TV reporters get involved and startasking embarrassing questions.....things start to happen....

Arnold Diaz at Fox channel 5 "Shame on You" segment

http://community2.myfoxny.com/service/displayKickPlace.kickAction?u=7033613&as=6475

Tappy Philips WABC Channel 7 "7 on your side" program...

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/bio?section=resources/inside_station/newsteam&id=5771962

oktobergirl wrote:

My thought is that band mgmt knew about the time change, and thought they would play it out, use the Euro tour as a test to see if they could get the load out time down to accommodate the show and the Jet's game time. When that didn't happen, had to reschedule the show.

Poor planning/judgement on (probably) several people's parts. I only hope my flight gets in on time or I will miss the Wednesday show. I can't afford to pay the change fee on the airline.

--- obviously they won't change the date or the venue at this point and I doubt we will hear anything further on the subject from anyone inthe band (I think if they were in our position they would have reacted similarly) but I have this feeling that is growing by the minute that tells me thisWednesday show will be the one to see - U2 will want to make it up to their fans for sure! So I hope you make it, even if you are a bit late!

I got a letter back from the NJSEA which stated that the NFL has final say on all scheduling. Looking back through the news headlines, posts on this forumare absolutely correct that the Jet's game was changed back in April. We as fans should have found out much earlier if they couldn't have this concerton Friday. This is absurd, particularly since the
NFL schedules games on Christmas! This is a bad precedent.

Here are the contact details of the people I have written. I will post the letters I have sent to these people after this post. Please use these astemplates to also let these people know the extent of our plights and to use the tools we have to get this changed!!!

NJSEA. publicaffairs@NJSEA.com - I got a response from John Samerjan, but I would suggest addressing your mail toDennis Robinson, President and CEO or Thad Sheely, Executive Vice President - Stadium Development and Finance of the New York Jets .

NY Attorney General - http://www.oag.state.ny.us/online_forms/email_ag.jsp This is aweb form.

NJ Attorney General - http://www.nj.gov/lps/formmail.htm This is a web form.

Congressman Anthony Weiner - I read that the Congressman Anthony Weiner (D-NY 9th) had written a letter back in April to the NFL to get the game changed tothe earlier time. I suggest writing him as well with your displeasure. http://weiner.house.gov/email_anthony.aspx

NFL - Howard Katz - The man responsible for actually changing the Jet's schedule is the NFL's master planner, Howard Katz - SVP Media Operations. katzh@nfl.com (I am taking a guess at the email, but got the format from following document. http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/images/random/resource2006_B-120.pdf

U2 North American Publicity - Lori Earl - codebluemediapr@gmail.com

Live Nation PR - johnvlautin@livenation.com

Sample letters to be posted shortly.

U2 you have to return my flight tickets hotel nights money this is wrong it sucks you have to think first theres no chance to fix things if i not Live in usa20 years of my 25 year old life loyal to the group and i receive this from you what were you thinking of when taking this decision

ok here's the deal: 1. start the friday show an hour early(6:00) 2.No opener(sorry muse) 3. Begin promptly. we'd be outta there 9pm at the latest.problem solved. this wednesday things lacks all logic.

Dear Representative Weiner,
I was notified yesterday that the U2 concert at Giants Stadium, scheduled for Friday 9/25/09, has been rescheduled to Wednesday 9/23/09 due to a scheduling conflict with the NY Jets to accommodate for the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur, which begins at sundown on Sunday September 27. As a result, the Jets' game time was changed from 4:30pm to 1pm and because of these 3 hours, the stage crews for the U2 show would not be able to tear down the stage in time for the new game time. I have subsequently received a response from the NJSEA and was told that the NFL has final say on all scheduling. I also found out through press releases that you had personally written a letter in April to the NFL requesting this change. I now ask you to consider those U2 fans who are impacted by this change and please do what you can to urge the NFL to move to the originally scheduled time.
I have a number of grievances with this schedule change and in particular, the reasons cited in the announcement. Firstly, the religious aspect cited for the NY Jets to move a football game is absolutely absurd as it sets a misguided precedent. For example, in moving this schedule for Yom Kippur, it gives the appearance of favoritism for the Jewish faith. After all, the NFL does schedule games on Christmas Day. If sports teams throughout the country were to adopt this type of scheduling policy, there would be no sports on Friday nights after sundown and Sunday football should cease to exist to respect of the Christian faith. While it is certainly gracious of the Jets to accommodate their schedule for their Jewish fans that wish to celebrate Yom Kippur, it is unnecessary. One's religion should take priority over sports; if it doesn't, then I suppose those fans that choose sports over their religion would buy tickets to a Jets game regardless of when it's scheduled. I have seen many comments from the Jewish community that state they would have watched the game anyway, regardless of the time.
Secondly, I am one of a very large group of individuals who are from out of town and who purchased U2 tickets for this specific show so we could stay the weekend in the New York area. You can imagine that since New York is a very popular destination for concert goers and given the original Friday date, a large amount of people were coming from out of town. As with so many others, I bought plane tickets, arranged accommodation and importantly, didn't have to take time off work to see the show. With this change, a large percentage of people will be significantly out of pocket for their arrangements and will likely not be able to attend the Wednesday concert without change fees or having to arrange time off in the middle of the week. Many will just not be able to attend at all. The arrangement as it now stands will be the net detractor for the district's revenues.
Thirdly, as I understand it, the Jet's game change to 1pm was actually done in April, so it is unacceptable that the notification of the concert move is coming now and not back in April when so many people from out of town could have made alternative arrangement. This last minute notification impacts those travelling because of very poor judgment and scheduling incompetence. Whereas, NY Jets fans can easily reschedule their timing since most of the fans would be local. Plus, Yom Kippur has been on the calendar for sometime, it's not like this was a surprise, but now the NFL, New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority and concert promoters are passing the buck onto the consumer, when this is absolutely their responsibility.
Finally, how does a three hour time change necessitate moving the concert up two days? The tour has been going on for sometime now and once would expect that the time to tear down the stage has improved significantly. Even in the case where that is not possible, the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, NY Jets, U2 and concert promoters should put together a plan that provides additional manpower or extra shifts in order to make up the 3 hour difference instead of putting people out. Alternatively, they should work out a scenario that removes the opening act or even more the concert up only 3 hours. I am sure most of the people attending would be more than likely to leave work a little early to catch the concert.
The way this stiuation has been explained to fans as well as the timing of the announcement, particularly given all the variables known by the various organizations well in advance of this announcement, are totally unacceptable!!! I, along with a very large amount of other people, will lose a lot of money and be inconvenienced and this is is extremely unprofessional and unthoughtful.
Please consider the plight of so many people impacted and do what you can to urge the NFL to reconsider the schedule.
Thank you.
Sincerely,

Dear Representative Weiner,
I was notified yesterday that the U2 concert at Giants Stadium, scheduled for Friday 9/25/09, has been rescheduled to Wednesday 9/23/09 due to a scheduling conflict with the NY Jets to accommodate for the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur, which begins at sundown on Sunday September 27. As a result, the Jets' game time was changed from 4:30pm to 1pm and because of these 3 hours, the stage crews for the U2 show would not be able to tear down the stage in time for the new game time. I have subsequently received a response from the NJSEA and was told that the NFL has final say on all scheduling. I also found out through press releases that you had personally written a letter in April to the NFL requesting this change. I now ask you to consider those U2 fans who are impacted by this change and please do what you can to urge the NFL to move to the originally scheduled time.
I have a number of grievances with this schedule change and in particular, the reasons cited in the announcement. Firstly, the religious aspect cited for the NY Jets to move a football game is absolutely absurd as it sets a misguided precedent. For example, in moving this schedule for Yom Kippur, it gives the appearance of favoritism for the Jewish faith. After all, the NFL does schedule games on Christmas Day. If sports teams throughout the country were to adopt this type of scheduling policy, there would be no sports on Friday nights after sundown and Sunday football should cease to exist to respect of the Christian faith. While it is certainly gracious of the Jets to accommodate their schedule for their Jewish fans that wish to celebrate Yom Kippur, it is unnecessary. One's religion should take priority over sports; if it doesn't, then I suppose those fans that choose sports over their religion would buy tickets to a Jets game regardless of when it's scheduled. I have seen many comments from the Jewish community that state they would have watched the game anyway, regardless of the time.
Secondly, I am one of a very large group of individuals who are from out of town and who purchased U2 tickets for this specific show so we could stay the weekend in the New York area. You can imagine that since New York is a very popular destination for concert goers and given the original Friday date, a large amount of people were coming from out of town. As with so many others, I bought plane tickets, arranged accommodation and importantly, didn't have to take time off work to see the show. With this change, a large percentage of people will be significantly out of pocket for their arrangements and will likely not be able to attend the Wednesday concert without change fees or having to arrange time off in the middle of the week. Many will just not be able to attend at all. The arrangement as it now stands will be the net detractor for the district's revenues.
Thirdly, as I understand it, the Jet's game change to 1pm was actually done in April, so it is unacceptable that the notification of the concert move is coming now and not back in April when so many people from out of town could have made alternative arrangement. This last minute notification impacts those travelling because of very poor judgment and scheduling incompetence. Whereas, NY Jets fans can easily reschedule their timing since most of the fans would be local. Plus, Yom Kippur has been on the calendar for sometime, it's not like this was a surprise, but now the NFL, New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority and concert promoters are passing the buck onto the consumer, when this is absolutely their responsibility.
Finally, how does a three hour time change necessitate moving the concert up two days? The tour has been going on for sometime now and once would expect that the time to tear down the stage has improved significantly. Even in the case where that is not possible, the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, NY Jets, U2 and concert promoters should put together a plan that provides additional manpower or extra shifts in order to make up the 3 hour difference instead of putting people out. Alternatively, they should work out a scenario that removes the opening act or even more the concert up only 3 hours. I am sure most of the people attending would be more than likely to leave work a little early to catch the concert.
The way this stiuation has been explained to fans as well as the timing of the announcement, particularly given all the variables known by the various organizations well in advance of this announcement, are totally unacceptable!!! I, along with a very large amount of other people, will lose a lot of money and be inconvenienced and this is is extremely unprofessional and unthoughtful.
Please consider the plight of so many people impacted and do what you can to urge the NFL to reconsider the schedule.
Thank you.
Sincerely,

for quite some time now i have been a firm believer that the two worst things in the world are organized religion and professional sports, respectively.i'll just add this to the ever growing list of things that prove my theory correct. relax. i'm only like 89% serious. :)

Here was the full reply from the NJSEA.

Dear XXX:

We deeply understand your frustration. I have included the ticket refund information and the statement from the NJSEA and the New York Jets that was inthe Live Nation announcement below followed by their full announcement. Unfortunately there were only two alternatives; to cancel the concert or move it toanother evening as the National Football League has the final word on the times of their games and all otherevents by contract must be scheduled around them. Moving the concert allowed at least the majority of the fans to still attend.

"We regret any disruptions this may cause U2 fans." said Dennis Robinson, President and CEO of the New Jersey Sports & Exposition Authorityand Thad Sheely, Executive Vice President - Stadium Development and Finance of the New York Jets. "Out of respect for the religious holiday it wascritical that the game time was changed. The NJSEA, along with the Jets, want to thank U2, their management staff, their fans and Live Nation for theirimmediate response in helping us remedy this situation."

Again we truly regret any inconvenience this has caused. If you need information regarding a refund you can call our box office at 201-935-3900.

John Samerjan

NJSEA

Original tickets for Friday, September 25 will be honored for the new date Wednesday, September 23.

If required, U2 fans who purchased tickets through Ticketmaster may obtain a refund by following the instructions below for your applicable deliverymethod.

If you have paperless tickets, ticketFast delivery, or your tickets were being held at the box office Will Call Window, you may obtain a refund bycontacting Ticketmaster Customer Service no later than September 22, 2009 by 3:00PM ES/DT @ http://www.ticketmaster.com/h/asktm.html

Please provide your order number, name, and the last 4 digits of the credit card used to purchase your tickets

If your tickets were mailed via UPS or regular mail, you may mail your tickets to:

Ticketmaster

Attention Customer Service

U2 360 Tour (NY1) Refund

1000 Corporate Landing

Charleston, WV 25311

Please make a copy of the tickets for your own records before returning the physical tickets in the mail. Include the name & address on the account,your Ticketmaster order number, and a daytime telephone number in case we need to reach you. Your tickets must be received in our office no later thanSeptember 15, 2009 by 3:00PM ES/DT. Ticketmaster is not responsible for tickets that are lost, stolen, or never received in our office. Please note, the $4.00per order processing fee, any ticketFast, or UPS delivery charges and in-store pick up charges are non-refundable. If you have any questions, please contact usonline at:

If you have any questions, please contact us online at:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/h/asktm.html

If you purchased tickets at the IZOD Center Box Office refunds are available Monday-Friday 11am-6pm no later than September 22, 2009 by 6:00PMES/DT.

Tickets NOT purchased through our official ticketing company, Ticketmaster, or through the venue must obtain refunds from the third party (example:StubHub, Craigslist, Ebay or other source) where the tickets were purchased.

U2 360° TOUR

SCHEDULING CHANGE ANNOUNCED FOR GIANTS STADIUM PERFORMANCE

DATE - Thursday, August 27th - 9am - For Immediate Release:

The U2 concert previously scheduled for FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 25th, 2009 at Giants Stadium in New Jersey has been moved to WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 23RD, 2009.The performance on Thursday, September 24th will proceed as scheduled. The change was necessitated by the rescheduling of the New York Jets football game onSunday September 27, 2009 from 4:15pm to 1pm out of respect for the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur, which starts that evening. Yom Kippur is the holiest day ofthe Jewish year.

The spectacular staging installation for the U2 360° tour requires two full days to disassemble. The original 4:15 PM game time scheduled by the NY Jetsprovided enough time for the band to load out the set. The change to 1 PM was logistically impossible for U2. In order to accommodate the New York Jets, theNFL and the state of New Jersey, which owns the stadium, and out of respect for U2 and Jets' fans of Jewish faith, U2 agreed to move their show rather thanpursue other options.

"We regret any disruptions this may cause U2 fans." said Dennis Robinson, President and CEO of the New Jersey Sports & Exposition Authorityand Thad Sheely, Executive Vice President - Stadium Development and Finance of the New York Jets. "Out of respect for the religious holiday it wascritical that the game time was changed. The NJSEA, along with the Jets, want to thank U2, their management staff, their fans and Live Nation for theirimmediate response in helping us remedy this situation."

"The show is incredible, but physically it takes time to load in and out" said Arthur Fogel, U2 360° Tour Promoter and CEO Global Touring andChairman - Global Music Live Nation. "We tried everything we could to rearrange our production logistics to ensure we were out of the stadium for theearlier game time but unfortunately, it was impossible. We want to thank our incredible fans for their never-ending support."

Tickets for the Friday, September 25th performance will be honored at the newly announced show date of Wednesday, September 23rd. Refunds, if necessary,will be available starting Friday, August 27th (through September 22nd) at point of purchase for U2 ticket holders of the September 25, 2009 show who cannotmake the September 23rd date.

The U2 360° Tour scheduled for Thursday, September 24th is not affected and will proceed as scheduled.

For complete tour and ticket information, visit: www.U2.com

Live Nation Communications:

John Vlautin - 310-867-7127

johnvlautin@livenation.com

U2 North American publicity:

Lori Earl

Code Blue

codebluemediapr@gmail.com

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE email the powers that be and voice your displeasure. cut & paste the letter hans posted if you don't share his gift for syntax.lord knows i don't. for the the record this has nothing to do with yom kipour, it has to do with the extreme measures taken in order solve quite a simpleproblem. ummm, i'll stop posting now.

after all this rescheduling change dates etc, aer lingus announce loss of revenue job losses redundency profits down moving air line out of ireland strikesbeing talked about..........my flight to ny is 10.30 23rd and you know what as only aer lingus know best strike!! Im thinking ahead plan b.......go on the beerin dublin ,theres no one dead so ny maybe next time,after all what can i do? I mean no one held a gun to my head..................pimp.gif

Since we are charged convenient charges when buying tickets ($45 per ticket). I wonder if we can charge inconvenient charges to return the tickets. Hhhmmmm?Seems fair.

They ought to commit to playing 10 extra songs for the fans on Wednesday night as a peace offering or whatever!

I have sent letters to NJ Attorney General, Live Nation and Congressman Anthony Weiner. I encourage others to do the same. They need to hear of this situationand the more people they hear from the better.

You know it's kinda funny...U2 have always been activists. Support Tutu, support AFW, support Aung San Suu Kyi. Who is there now to support the fans inthis endeavor?

Sounds like it's time for a letter by Larry. Hope it doesn't end like the last one did.

nyny wrote:

in fact I don't know of any show they postponed or rescheduled ever, has there been one yet?

Only the last dozen or so shows of Vertigo, which were postponed for a mere 8 months. But as it was mostly "Rest Of World" fans and notUS/"real" fans getting jerked around, it went by unnoticed by anyone unaffected.

We deserve an explanation from the band. The longer they wait, the more disingenuous and fabricated the response will appear. Tell the truth. I can'tbelieve I don't believe the explanation. It looks like U2 or LiveNation made a promise that they would be out of Giants Stadium in time for the Jets' game. After weeks of assembling and disassembling the claw, theyrealized they can't do it. The time change of the Jets' game is irrelevant. If the game was still at 4:15, the concert still would have been moved.

Grande

They postponed those concerts due to illness with family member. That's why everybody understood and supported the decision.

But now is completely different...

JIMED14 wrote:

We deserve an explanation from the band. The longer they wait, the more disingenuous and fabricated the response will appear. Tell the truth. I can't be
lie
ve I don't be
lie
ve the explanation. It looks like U2 or Live Nation made a promise that they would be out of Giants Stadium in time for the Jets' game. After weeks of assembling and disassembling the claw, they realized they can't do it.
The time change of the Jets' game is irrelevant. If the game was still at 4:15, the concert still would have been moved.

This seems to be the most likely situation. There is no way the Jets/NFL would have been comfortable with the deconstruction of the stage cuttingit that close to game time (even if the game were still at 4). It was irresponsible of U2, their management, Live Nation (whoever) to schedule the concert forthe Friday night if they were going to be cutting it so close. Everything says it takes 2 days to take down the claw. Well by my count that means itwouldn't have been disassembled till Sunday night. They realized it was logistically impossible and now passed the buck onto all the fans. A compromisewasn't possible because there was just no way they could have removed the stage and prepared the field for play. The thing that angers me is that a lotmore people are affected (in a negative way) due to the Jets time change than were helped (i.e. Jets fans of Jewish faith that are now able to attend thegame). Taking into account floor seats, there will probably be just as many people present for the U2 concert, if not more than for the Jets game. And noteveryone at the Jets game is of the Jewish faith. Ok rant over.

I get what a lot of people are saying how the Jets are the ones who changed their game time, and yes life sucks, things happen we gotta move on, but thatdoesn't mean that U2 couldnt step up and say Hey we got a show to do on Friday, if we can get that stage down by 1pm instead of 4pm we'll hire morestaff that day, we'll get it down. Or No we re not changing our Friday show, a simple calendar from Staples would show when Yom Kippur is and a googlesearch of the Jets schedule have been available for months.

How is it normal for them to move a show less than a month away with a silly 3 hr change in a football game excuse? I'd totally understand if a band memberwas hurt, or sick and two days before something like that out of anyones control meant theyd have to postpone the show. But this is downright silly when youreally look at it.

How can they think less than a month before its cool to change the date to a Wed no less, the dumbest day of the week to have a concert in a football stadiumwith practically no access to public transportation where people got work and school the next day and then not even apologize themselves, just have somespokesman dude with a phony lame explanation.

As a college kid who spent alot of money (250 to be exact on those seats thats not including those crazy fees of course) and finally got to join the fan club(wasted a presale code) to avoid the long lines on concert day in hope of a ticket and the desparation of inflated scalper prices, I'm really disappointedin how this whole thing went down.

And Ticketmaster, the Jets nor U2 seemed to think about the logistics of 80 000 people adjusting their days off from work, amtrak or airline tickets, hotelaccomodations, missed classes and a whole host of other things that people plan when they got their heart set on going to an awesome concert that may involvemore than a hr drive on the NJ turnpike.

I love U2 and their music and I can't think of anything that beats a live show, but yup, they "left a bad taste in my mouth." lame pun intendedhaha

Grande 3 16 wrote:

nyny wrote:

in fact I don't know of any show they postponed or rescheduled ever, has there been one yet?

Only the last dozen or so shows of Vertigo, which were postponed for a mere 8 months. But as it was mostly "Rest Of World" fans and not US/"real" fans getting jerked around, it went by unnoticed by anyone unaffected.

What exactly does that mean? Why the immature, cynical remark aimed at US fans? For your information no one was "jerked around" whenthe Vertigo shows were postponed, this was due to an unavoidable personal situation that occured in Edge's life. Sure it led to plans going badly awry,but no one was jerking anyone around. And I believe everyone in the Zoo noticed it then but there wasn't an outcry due to the situation.

marques wrote:

Grande

They postponed those concerts due to illness with family member. That's why everybody understood and supported the decision.

He said that they had never postponed shows before, I was pointing out they had. Also during the Lovetown tour too.

"RedHill wrote:

What exactly does that mean? Why the immature, cynical remark aimed at US fans? For your information no one was "jerked around" when the Vertigoshows were postponed, this was due to an unavoidable personal situation that occured in Edge's life. Sure it led to plans going badly awry, but no one wasjerking anyone around. And I believe everyone in the Zoo noticed it then but there wasn't an outcry due to the situation. "

They were "jerked around" in that travel plans, flights, hotel bookings had to be changed, a lot like this situation, and some airlines used it as anopportunity to do a bit of profiteering. And anyone who got upset about it was "not a true fan". Didn't mean they weren't sympathetic to theillness though. (And you're not supposed to speculate on who that was either).

And there were some US fans that were stuffed around by this too.

Grande 3 16 wrote:

marques wrote:

Grande

He said that they had never postponed shows before, I was pointing out they had. Also during the Lovetown tour too.

"RedHill wrote:

What exactly does that mean? Why the immature, cynical remark aimed at US fans? For your information no one was "jerked around" when the Vertigo shows were postponed, this was due to an unavoidable personal situation that occured in Edge's life. Sure it led to plans going badly awry, but no one was jerking anyone around. And I believe everyone in the Zoo noticed it then but there wasn't an outcry due to the situation. "

They were "jerked around" in that travel plans, flights, hotel bookings had to be changed, a lot like this situation, and some airlines used it as an opportunity to do a bit of profiteering. And anyone who got upset about it was "not a true fan". Didn't mean they weren't sympathetic to the illness though. (And you're not supposed to speculate on who that was either).

And there were some US fans that were stuffed around by this too.

8 posts in....not making a bit of sense.

jenny55 wrote:

Cant they perform without The Claw??? just a suggestion.

Seriously, all they need is a red guitar, three chords and the truth. Ok, and I guess a set of drums, a bass, and some mics and light would be helpful.