Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

graysobe

Boo to Rescheduled Show in NYC!(Merged)

sectionbgirl92 wrote:

petermullen wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

Grande
3 16 wrote:

u2dave110862
wrote:

I'm not trying to blame anyone, it says no where in my reply about blaming anyone, I am only stating the facts and the fact is that when you decide to attend a show you do so at your own risk, you are the one who decides to make that long trip, the band does not decide this for you. Touring is a business and U2 management made a business decission. They are not going to pay for your change of flight fee's or your hotel reservation it just doesn't work that way. I am sure that the band will do something at the September 23rd show for the fans. so please stop the "they made a mistake, now give me something" attitude.

Especially since technically it should just be folks in NY going.

Just folks in NY, huh? Odd considering the stadium is actually in New Jersey. People are not seeming to understand this little fact about Giants Stadium. If you are travelling to Giants Stadium... you are not going to be in NY... you are going to be in East Rutherford, NJ. Btw... I really hope those who have hotel accommodations didn't get them in NYC.
It's only 12 miles from NYC.......

Yes, but 12 miles can possibly be about and hour an a half in traffic in this part of the world. I'm not sure where you are. Sometimes, there can be a half hour wait or more at the tunnels. We are about 90 miles from the stadium and it will probably take us 2/3 hrs to get there at least, with all the traffic up near the stadium.I'm sure taking public transportaiton from NYC, is a better option.

Just leave plenty of time where ever you are coming from, as traffic near the stadium and in this part of the world in general, is insane.

no i live 350 miles away, but will probably be stating on the island the night before and driving in wednesday afternoon. definitely a good point regarding thetraffic. Public trnasportation is definitely the way to go if you are staying in a hotel. unfortunately the trains don't go there.....at least not thati'm aware.

There is a new train that goes there. From NY Penn Station take the train to Secaucus Junction and transfer to the train directly to Giants Stadium.

Fyi...if anyone booked a hotel room through hotels.com or at the Sheraton Meadowlands....their change policy states you will be charged for one full night(such a crock). They tried to stick me with paying for the Friday night stay, but if you bitch enough they will let it slide. Although, I am now payingalmost $100 more (Wednesdays cost much more than Fridays - dammit), I didn't let them take advantage of me for the Friday night.

This whole change is extremely disheartening. I originally was going with my sister and best friend and now neither can go due to this crap. So, I amtraveling to see U2 BY MYSELF with much added expense, oh and having now to take 2 days off of work (which I cannot really afford!).

So utterly frustrated and upset!

nobodyl wrote:

gaffano wrote:

Check this out. Sunday during Yom Kippur the Yankees v Red Sox at Yankee Stadium game was scheduled for 1PM. These games are one of the highest rated sports broadcasts. ESPN has the option to switch any Sunday game to their 8PM Sunday Night Baseball show.

Even though they know it is a religious holiday and that there was a controversy from Jets scheduling, which game do you think they decided to move to 8PM, this week, 3 weeks from game day?? ESPN is not going to let a 10 share TV NATIONAL viewing rating (very high) slip by for any reason.

Anyway..apparently the Attorney General of NJ is investigating the U2 concert rescheduling. If you feel that your consumer rights are being taken for granted...you should contact their office, trust me. Complaining here will not solve your issue. Complain to people who can help you.

I read this today about moving the game to 8pm!!! Its all about the money, no principles involved by anyone.

I contacted NJ AG office, glad to hear they are investigating this. We cant let the powers that be trample all over us.

I am really conflicted here, love the band and the music all these years, but I will never tolerate being abused as a customer. Unfortunately it is impossible to know how culpable the band is, since they have been silent on this.

It is not about blaming U2 directly. I am sure they fellas are not happy either. However, if you let whoever dropped the ball get away with this poorlyhandled situation with a phony excuse (and push the penalty onto the fans)....it will set a precedent for it to happen again. Fans deserve better treatment,especially during these hard economic times.... when a show can be a someone's only leisure expense for the year. Whether you live next door to thestadium or are traveling from other side of the world, really does not matter.....if your plans have to be changed and you are out $$$ or not able to witness agreat show.....because of someone else avoidable negligence....

petermullen wrote:

sectionbgirl92 wrote:

petermullen wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

Grande
3 16 wrote:

u2dave110862
wrote:

I'm not trying to blame anyone, it says no where in my reply about blaming anyone, I am only stating the facts and the fact is that when you decide to attend a show you do so at your own risk, you are the one who decides to make that long trip, the band does not decide this for you. Touring is a business and U2 management made a business decission. They are not going to pay for your change of flight fee's or your hotel reservation it just doesn't work that way. I am sure that the band will do something at the September 23rd show for the fans. so please stop the "they made a mistake, now give me something" attitude.

Just folks in NY, huh? Odd considering the stadium is actually in New Jersey. People are not seeming to understand this little fact about Giants Stadium. If you are travelling to Giants Stadium... you are not going to be in NY... you are going to be in East Rutherford, NJ. Btw... I really hope those who have hotel accommodations didn't get them in NYC.

Yes, but 12 miles can possibly be about and hour an a half in traffic in this part of the world. I'm not sure where you are. Sometimes, there can be a half hour wait or more at the tunnels. We are about 90 miles from the stadium and it will probably take us 2/3 hrs to get there at least, with all the traffic up near the stadium.I'm sure taking public transportaiton from NYC, is a better option.

Just leave plenty of time where ever you are coming from, as traffic near the stadium and in this part of the world in general, is insane.

no i live 350 miles away, but will probably be stating on the island the night before and driving in wednesday afternoon. definitely a good point regarding the traffic. Public trnasportation is definitely the way to go if you are staying in a hotel. unfortunately the trains don't go there.....at least not that i'm aware.

I think down in the fan gathering section, some fans who are from the New York area, have posted some good travel info regarding trains that go to the stadiumor near it.

petermullen
wrote:

ceallach67
wrote:

Grande
3 16 wrote:

u2dave110862
wrote:

Yes, I am well aware of that. However, my point about hotel accommodations in NYC wasn't about distance, it was about cost. A hotel in NYC is far moreexpensive than one that would be say... down the road from the stadium. A nice hotel in the area is the Meadowlands Hilton. Very nice room and far lessexpensive than a comparable room in NYC. And as mentioned; traffic in and out of NYC is horrendous. Then again, if that construction is still going on up bythe stadium, traffic is horrendous there too.

Regardless, my main point is that Giants Stadium is not in New York, but New Jersey.

petermullen
wrote:

ceallach67
wrote:

Grande
3 16 wrote:

u2dave110862
wrote:

Yes, I am well aware of that. However, my point about hotel accommodations in NYC wasn't about distance, it was about cost. A hotel in NYC is far moreexpensive than one that would be say... down the road from the stadium. A nice hotel in the area is the Meadowlands Hilton. Very nice room and far lessexpensive than a comparable room in NYC. And as mentioned; traffic in and out of NYC is horrendous. Then again, if that construction is still going on up bythe stadium, traffic is horrendous there too.

Regardless, my main point is that Giants Stadium is not in New York, but New Jersey.

Just wanted to keep all informed of any communication received. As everyone expected, really no chance of the concert changing back. Don't expect this ishigh on the priority list of the people emailed... although I'm not sure why the NFL was. ;-) The letter below from LiveNation outlines the sequence ofevents so at least people can know what actually happened.

Dear flittig,

I have been forwarded your mail as I oversee the marketing for the U2 360° World tour on behalf of Live Nation Global touring.

As you must be aware, the decision to move the performance at Giants Stadium was not taken lightly and unfortunately for out of town fans must be consideredfinal. However, in response to the main query raised in your mail, the following was the sequence of events.

The original Giants Stadium performance (September 24th) was put on sale on March 30th. When this sold out, the decision was made to move forward with a 2ndperformance in that venue on September 25th. At that time, the tour was aware that there was a Jets game scheduled for September 27th and although the timingwould have been tight for a 4pm game (we were already shortening the load-out from 7pm), we were prepared to make this happen. When the Jets game changed to a1pm event, the tour was no longer able to meet the shortened time frame required to depart the venue and for the venue to prepare the field for an NFL game.

As you correctly have noted, the change to the timing of the Jet's game was made public in April. However, at that time, the U2 360° Tour had not yetstarted. The tour began in Barcelona on June 30th and took several weeks for the production load-in and load-out timing to gel. As such, by about the 3rd weekin July it was apparent that the tour could not further shorten the time needed to load out of Giants Stadium and a decision had to be made.

As stated in our release and in the notification you received, U2 agreed to move their show rather than pursue other options.

I'm certainly aware that this is not the response that you would have wished to receive, but I did want to provide you with an accurate run-down of events.

Ticketmaster is refunding tickets where required or as you know, your tickets are valid for the rescheduled event on September 23rd.

Best regards,

Susan

I understand that they wanted to see if they could shorten the time to get out of the stadium. However, this email says they were aware of this in the 3rdweek of July. My next question now is why did they wait till the end of August to let the fans know. The time line of this still does not add up, in fact itactually seems worse to me now because they admitted they were aware of the problem in July and still waited a month to announce the date change.

larzke wrote:

I understand that they wanted to see if they could shorten the time to get out of the stadium. However, this email says they were aware of this in the 3rd week of July. My next question now is why did they wait till the end of August to let the fans know. The time line of this still does not add up, in fact it actually seems worse to me now because they admitted they were aware of the problem in July and still waited a month to announce the date change.

Agreed. Not pointing the finger...but this should have been a red letter topic on the top of someone's bulletin board. There is a 1 month gap stillmissing. Needs filled in.

Kudos to Hans for getting that response and posting it!