Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

neilz

Fans Who Had Obstructed View 360 Tour Tickets - Gather Here!!!!

A topic for fans that paid up to $250 per ticket only to be seated under an overhang with a terrible view and low quality sound. Gather here to discuss andvent your frustrations. Hopefully, we can prevent future 360 Tour concertgoers from having a similar horrific and expensive experience. There is a similarSoldier Field topic in the paid member forum.

If you get to your show and have an obstructed view. GO FIND SOMEONE AND ASK TO BE RELOCATED. I didn't know to do that and I had the worst concertexperience ever. $1000 for 4 tickets later, I wish I had been helped like some other people at the show. This will probably happen at many of the footballstadium venues on the NA tour.

If you get to your show and have an obstructed view. GO FIND SOMEONE AND ASK TO BE RELOCATED. I didn't know to do that and I had the worst concertexperience ever. $1000 for 4 tickets later, I wish I had been helped like some other people at the show. This will probably happen at many of the footballstadium venues on the NA tour.

neilz wrote:

If you get to your show and have an obstructed view. GO FIND SOMEONE AND ASK TO BE RELOCATED. I didn't know to do that and I had the worst concert experience ever. $1000 for 4 tickets later, I wish I had been helped like some other people at the show. This will probably happen at many of the football stadium venues on the NA tour.

I had the same problem.

I wrote about it on my website insideSTL.com. Little did I know that we weren't the only ones at the time.

Really disappointing.

I've posted several photos in my profile from our seats at the 09.12 show. I think they tell the story quite well.

I didn't see them at all. They didn't come to my city.

I'd rather have an obstructed view than no view at all.

Opeth wrote:

I didn't see them at all. They didn't come to my city.

I'd rather have an obstructed view than no view at all.

Whatever, this is different, these were terrible seats at $250 level. They were relocating people because they were so bad. We didn't getrelocated.

johnintn wrote:

I've posted several photos in my profile from our seats at the 09.12 show. I think they tell the story quite well.

I checked out your photos, I think I'm missing something because I couldn't tell how your seats had an obstructed view. I could see the stage justfine in your photos. Nice photos, btw.

johnintn wrote:

I checked out your photos, I think I'm missing something because I couldn't tell how your seats had an obstructed view. I could see the stage justfine in your photos. Nice photos, btw.

ceallach67 wrote:

johnintn wrote:

I checked out your photos, I think I'm missing something because I couldn't tell how your seats had an obstructed view. I could see the stage just fine in your photos. Nice photos, btw.

Thanks. Yes, we could see the stage very well, but that's only a portion of the show. Notice how many of the photos posted by U2 on this site show the clawand how it relates to the stage. That's what we were missing. I've been to several U2 shows over the last 25 years and seeing the whole stageset ispart of the spectacle. Also, I'm an architect, and really wanted to get to see this amazing structure! We could barely see the first "buttons" onthe tensile structure.

ceallach67 wrote:

johnintn wrote:

I checked out your photos, I think I'm missing something because I couldn't tell how your seats had an obstructed view. I could see the stage just fine in your photos. Nice photos, btw.

Gotta agree with Kelly on this one...

I guess what it really comes down to is expectations. I went in with the assumption that the highest priced ticket would provide the best overall experience,and in my opinion (and I know what assumptions and opinions are worth) these seats did not provide the best value for the dollars spent.

Yes, it was a good show, but certainly not the best I've ever seen because of the upper deck cutting off the top of the claw. I appreciate everyone'scomments but I still think these seats should have been labeled as obstructed view. I've got Red Zone tickets for Atlanta, and I'm extremely excited tosee the show again from a completely different vantage point.

In my row when I stood up (which I had to do because everyone in front of me was standing) I could not see any of the screen. Also, you could barely hear Bonoand could not hear any of Edge's guitar. I love Larry and Adam, but come on, I didn't pay $1000 for four tickets to listen to the U2 Rhythm Section.Hey guys sorry Bono and the Edge couldn't make it tonight! $30 bucks yes, even $50 or $60 yes, but no way $250. Worst seats in the house, theyshouldn't have been sold or at least labeled Obstructed View. Not premium $250 fanclub presale tickets. Not even close.

so I went both nites to make up for any obstruction, plus I also moved to other seats that were open, and I ended up having the best experience of my entirelife-this even was better for me than the Olympic games in LA

xtraspicy62 wrote:

so I went both nites to make up for any obstruction, plus I also moved to other seats that were open, and I ended up having the best experience of my entire life-this even was better for me than the Olympic games in LA

Nice work!

From insidestl.com:

The Debacle That Was Our Tickets At The U2 Show Saturday Night At Soldier Field: We Weren't Alone

In Monday's column, I detailed the disappointment that was the U2 Concert Saturday night at Soldier Field. I noted that I wasn't sure if the concertwas not up to snuff...or if it was the fact that our seats were pretty crappy because of being blocked by an overhang.

Nonetheless, considering all the build up for the show, we left wondering what happened...considering U2 has put on some of the best concerts I'veattended.

Well, it turns out that Anna-Marie and I weren't the only ones to experience this disaster at Soldier Field. Here are some of the emails I received aboutthe issue:

Tim,

I was at 9/12 U2 show. Section 110, row 16, the experience was terrible and we were ripped off at $250 per ticket. I bought four for my wife, friends, andmyself. What a joke. I am trying to organize the hundreds of people that got screwed at the 9/12 and 9/13 show. I am from Indy and was at the St. Louis showDecember 2005 in the inner circle. Amazing. We did not get the same experience as those who paid the same price at lower rows. I will keep you posted.

Neil

Tim,

I must have been sitting next to you! I was in Section 105 (even with the stage, on Adam's side) in row 17, and the seats were so bad that I actually leftto go find someone to complain to. It took me a while, but I finally met up with Soldier Field/U2 supervisors, and they exchanged my terrible tickets for oneson the other side of the stage.

I walked out from the vendor corridor into section 141, and I was totally blown away. The lights, the sound, the whole vibe was there--as good as in 2005 andfresh. I didn't get to stand with my husband, and we missed about 40% of U2, but the difference was laughable. The new tickets got me into a CONCERT. Theexperience under the overhang was like sitting in someone's living room with the lights on, while someone played a DVD of a U2 concert--in another room.

The band worked hard, the tour was excellent--the east side of Soldier Field should probably be dropped into Lake Michigan. I too bought my tickets through theU2.com pre-sale, and the band is not getting credit for their hard work and outstanding concert, due to the screw-up that is Chicago.

I'd be interested to hear if there is anything you are able to do to salvage that experience.

Regards,

Amy Adams

And, then there is this blog...in which a lady is furious about what took place:

http://mistressofallevil.blogspot.com/

Apparently, this was such a big deal that all you have to do is type "Chicago + U2 + overhang" in google, and you'll get plenty of stories aboutit.

In one sense, I'm glad that this now explains why we thought the show was so average. However, in another sense, I'm really disappointed that nearlyevery review I've read about the show is beyond complimentary...and we didn't get nearly the same experience.

It'd be one thing if we could get to another show, but their tour wraps up at the end of October, and hopefully, there'll be a baseball team playingall month that will make a trip to Las Vegas on October 23rd, for example, something I'm not interested in doing. But, even if the Cardinals aren'tstill playing at that point, Missouri plays Texas for homecoming on the 24th. And, other than Norman, Oklahoma in mid-August, there really aren't anyrealistic chances to go see them play...and that really sucks, because the set list was phenomenal, and the actual stage and set-up for the whole event wasunlike anything I'd ever seen---albeit on YouTube.

So it goes...

johnintn wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

johnintn wrote:

Thanks. Yes, we could see the stage very well, but that's only a portion of the show. Notice how many of the photos posted by U2 on this site show the claw and how it relates to the stage. That's what we were missing. I've been to several U2 shows over the last 25 years and seeing the whole stageset is part of the spectacle. Also, I'm an architect, and really wanted to get to see this amazing structure! We could barely see the first "buttons" on the tensile structure.

... I see what you're saying, Johnintn. I wasn't thinking along the lines of seeing the entire stage/structure in the bigger picture sort of way. TheClaw is so large I would guess unless you had seats further back and center that you wouldn't be able to see the entire structure and stage.

I'm wondering now how my view will be from my seats at Giants Stadium. Although my main concerns are the worry that my view of the stage will beobstructed by the Claw.

johnintn wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

johnintn wrote:

Thanks. Yes, we could see the stage very well, but that's only a portion of the show. Notice how many of the photos posted by U2 on this site show the claw and how it relates to the stage. That's what we were missing. I've been to several U2 shows over the last 25 years and seeing the whole stageset is part of the spectacle. Also, I'm an architect, and really wanted to get to see this amazing structure! We could barely see the first "buttons" on the tensile structure.

... I see what you're saying, Johnintn. I wasn't thinking along the lines of seeing the entire stage/structure in the bigger picture sort of way. TheClaw is so large I would guess unless you had seats further back and center that you wouldn't be able to see the entire structure and stage.

I'm wondering now how my view will be from my seats at Giants Stadium. Although my main concerns are the worry that my view of the stage will beobstructed by the Claw.

My view was originally obstructed by the claw, so being really excited I just kept looking around for opportunities for empty seats. chicago was supposed to besold out, but I found some empty seats that gave me a full view. I moved, then. I also tried walking around in the balcony where the view was stupendous! Lotsof fans were standing there too, maybe they were from the overhang area.

A friend of mine even wondered into a clubhouse room and was just accepted there without any questions. I think if there are any problems, just try and come upwith any possible solution you can.

I do feel bad for any one who could not see, as what is the point if you cant see them. I once went to see Rush, and was seated right in front of a huge cementpillar and I actually couldnt even see the stage, because the pillar was so large.

My then boyfriend and I went to the box office, politely explained, and because I have a really bad badk problem, they problem solved by comin up withavailable, unused seats on the disabled platform. We were totaqlly shocked they would do this, but they were open, and I was in some serious pain. They sat usthere and it was great.

Just try to be polite, creative, and have supportive friends with you. I think there are solutions out there. You never know.

please explain how this is U2's FAULT?

Solider Field SUCKS. ever since they doubled it in size by adding the "Mother Ship" to it, it has SUCKED. there didnt used to BE an overhang. that is new in the last 6 or 7 years. Blame Mayor Daley if youre gonna blame anyone, as it was him that kamikaze'd in there to "renovate" Soldier. forced the Bears to play in Champaign for a year while it was done too!

its not like they went and toured every venue to check for obstructions. they probably just knew that PopMart fit there very nicely and went back to a place they knew could fit this tour.

this is NOT U2's fault!

yes, i had GAs for both nights and yes, i complained about how deangerously crowded the Inner Circle was. but each time i see them might be the last time, so i decided to just deal.

if people keep bitching like this they will never play here in Chicago again! and i wouldnt blame them!!

Not U2's fault. Although their crew could have easily anticipated this problem once they were at SF, but they didn't and tix were sold already anyhow. $250 fan club presale tickets guarantee you NOTHING. These were the worst seats in the stadium.

Next time I will go GA for sure....

Bitching about terribly overpriced seats will not keep U2 from playing Chicago. They profited handsomely and Chicago loves them! They will profit more from my terrible experience because now I will be attending another show on this leg, something I had not planned to do....

me too... I want more and more and more and more of u2 and from all angles, sides, elevations, floors, up, down, sideways,.....whatever!!!

U2, Soldiers Field and Live Nation should have marketed our tickets (Section 105 Row 18 Seats 15 & 16) as "obstructed view" seats. It is not Chicago's fault. It's U2's. You don't get to be the greatest rock band in the world by being mediocre in any phase of your operation. If Bono can spend 15 minutes of concert time and countless more hours outside of it extolling the virtues of Aung San Suu Kyi and Desmond Tutu, he can spend an equal amount of time to ensure that each concertgoer has the prime experience for which he, Edge, Adam and Larry are being paid handsomely.

The band has said many times that they tolerate Bono's forays into politics and crusades as long as it doesn't detract from the music. Memo to Edge, Larry and Adam: Rein in Mephisto. His actions are hurting the band and destroying that which gives him the platform he so zealously covets.

When I'm paying half a grand to see U2 perform, I don't expect a concrete overhang from Section 200 above us to obstruct the highly touted $40 million "Claw" staging, video and sound system. We were hemmed in like rats in a subway. The effect was like watching U2 through that same subway tunnel with the sound quality to match. It was a huge disappointment. The seats weren't worth $5.

If U2 had staged this tour in 1985, these miscalculations and lack of preparation, it would have killed their career. Bono and the Edge would be middle aged Paul and Dave working in Dublin. Moreover the echo created by the concrete tunnel effect made the concert all but unintelligible.

When one pays $550 for two tickets as a "Horizon" (1st in line to purchase as a U2 Fan Club) member, one expects truth in advertising, better seats and a fulfilling concert experience. We received none of the above and were greatly disappointed and will not be returning to Soldiers Field or to a U2 concert again. The seats were a total waste of our money and time spent there, due to the horrible sound and obscured staging. We are seeking a full refund of $544.45.

Ok, enough about the whining....I do concert production for a living....and people will always have high expectations regardless. Everyone is different...so there's some that wanna be upclose, and others that wanna see the stage as a whole, but in reality you can't have both. Plus, when you buy tix, there's a map of the venue w/seating chart, so you should know what you're in for. Knowing U2, you'd be lucky, just to even get a ticket...especially in the big cities.

Best place for sound: close to FOH....that's where the sound guy's at. Negative: won't be able to see the band up close.

Best place to see the Claw (in its entirety): close to FOH, that's where the LD (Willie Williams) is at. Negative: read above.

Best place to see the band (upclose): GA, close to the stage. Negative: sound quality won't be as good (especially stage volume), and you won't be able to see the full lighting FX of the Claw....and if you're short....good luck!

Best place to drink and smoke pot while watching: in the stands. Negative: sound quality (depends where you're at) and view...but then again, if you're stoned off your ass, it's all about the colors!