Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paigecat

I do not appreciate Bono's comments in the New York Times

Well there was one good justice done today. A man, along with hisbrother, committed an atrocious crime against humanity in my city. In2007 they carjacked a car that a young couple were driving and tookthis couple back to their house killed the young man and kept the youngwoman for two days in a room locked up raped her in every way possible,put a glass bottle up in her and stomped on her stomach until itshattered in her. Then he and his brother put her alive in a trash canwhere she suffocated to death and then after she was dead he continuedto mutilate her body and today Tennessee gave him the death penaltywhich is nothing compared to what he did to this young woman and man.The young man was shot and this girl went through all of this torturebefore she died she was an innocent victim and so was her boyfriend.They were driving home from spending time with some friends and wherethey carjacked them wasn't even near where they lived the murderers.Could you imagine if that were your child that goes through that andhow you would feel sometimes I wonder what has this world become itbrings tears to my eyes. How someone can be so dead inside and feelnothing at snuffing out a human life, no parent thinks or wants to outlive their child because loving parents love their child more than thechild loves them, that's what my mother tells me. The younger brothergot life in prison because he went along with the older brother thatinstigated these acts. I know these things go on all over. It's sad.There is good in this world it's unfortunate that the bad is printedthe most cause sensationalism sells. Well, anyway, have a good one.

Paige 

I have no idea whatsoever what that has to do with the debate here. The debate is about HEALTH CARE. Or at least thats what I thought. You then talk about DEATHPANELS? Oh good grief. Get it into your head that deathpanels would be an improvement for some people - they don't even get that opportunity in life because of circumstances beyond their control. You know the 10 year old kids...

If you are going to construct an arguement about why obamacare is so bad, please construct an arguement that makes sense, doesn't bleet on about your christian values or some terrible act that bears no relevance whatsoever to the topic at hand. Otherwise you just look like a raving right wing looney.

[quote name='Bob L wrote:

barbara1 wrote:

Bob L']If you think healthcare reform is about healthcare reform you might want to wake up out of the dead sleep your in. Bottom line it's about our government taking over our healthcare system and destroying the private sector to gain full control over every aspect of your life. They are controlling the media and portraying our healthcare system as the worst in the world. They are lying about our healthcare system and also teaching young children to lie about it also in propaganda commercials. Yes our system has flaws and and cost needs to be controlled but if you think that 1200 page pile of shit they are about to shove down our throats is a good plan your a loon. Socailized healthcare will be this countrys biggest mistake. But you progressives already know that. You want our country to go bankrupt so you can completely change our system.

why do you think it would be bad? so many countries  (like mine) have a healthcaresystem controlled by the goverment..maybe you' re the one that's informed wrong? you make it sound like a conspiracy to take away your money?

Well, there are 4 great examples: Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and Welfare. All run by the government. All are broke. They all need massive amounts of money to continue and Medicare has been found to refuse more healthcare to more people than any other health plan.

A conspiracy to take away my money? Not necessarily my money but yes it is all about the redistribution of wealth. 

if this is the case in the 'great' USA, i feel sorry for all americans! I'm so thankfull to live in this country where the government seems to care for citizens. Our healthcare isn't about making profit; everybody who works, pays taxes and part of that amount is used for healthcare.. i'm no economic, but a system like this should be possible to work in most countries.. so why isn't it? 

somewhere at the beginning of this thread, i dared to mention Mr Moore and SICKO, ; people accused me for being short-minded (or something like that) for believing a word he said . with all the comments you, living in America, are giving here, i put more believe in his film and i wonder if all those judging him did even see this film? maybe you all should... maybe he's not so far from the truth...frown.gif

beeing a european , i dont know how it is to live in Usa and i dont wish to experience.. i just hope living-conditions will get better all over the world and people will get proper healthcare, nomatter where they live!! And this is not a 'Miss-world-speech', i really mean it! good evening to all of you, be nice to eachother...wink.gif

Can someone please explain what a "death panel" is? Keep it simple, please :)

Simple...hmmmm...OK, here goes:  Somewhere in the big public health proposal that's being debated, there was a provision for some sort of required end-of-life decision-making process to be put in place. This sort of thing is actually already quite common in medical care, and, frankly, not having something like this come under consideration would be a major blunder in health care. Having worked a desk job some years ago at a chemotherapy center, believe me, plenty of patients and their families have to deal with things like living trusts, power of attorney, estate planning, wills, and the pros and cons of do-not-resucitate orders.   Oh, and endless fights with the insurance plans (both public and private) over what the plans would or would not cover - even if the doctors insisted that their course of treatment would be the only chance to keep the patient from dying. 

But the provision for end-of-life planning in the new federal proposal(s) was seized upon by GOP ideologues and dubbed "death panels" - as in, a bunch of faceless bureaucrats who were there to kill Grandma once she catches a cold!  (Cue horror movie music!)  In other words, they tried to claim that any universal health care plan would be endorsing government-mandated euthenasia.  

Oh yeah, there's more, but you wanted things to be simplified.  Just remember, this isn't about the legislation itself, so much as the fact that it comes from an administration lead by a Democratic President. 

Sidebar 1:  Funny how when Bono spent all those years trailing around with the Bush administration, few (if any?) right-wingers gave much squawk about how dare that damn foreign/non-American tell us what to do with our money! Now that Bono has to work with a bunch of Democrats, suddenly he's supposed to shut up?  How does that work? 

Sidebar 2:  Scoop!  Bono's next NY Times op-ed will be titled:  "Just Buy the F*&!ing T-Shirt, Already!" 

Sidebar 3:  "Death Panel" is a most excellent name for a thrash/doom/death metal band.  If someone out there hasn't already given their thrash/doom/death metal band this name, there's no hope for the nation.

-- eaplatt

*feeds off the prejudice and hate contained in this thread*

Liberal prejudice and hate tastes the best.

Like candy!

[quote name=Clur]

Well there was one good justice done today. A man, along with his brother, committed an atrocious crime against humanity in my city. In 2007 they carjacked a car that a young couple were driving and took this couple back to their house killed the young man and kept the young woman for two days in a room locked up raped her in every way possible, put a glass bottle up in her and stomped on her stomach until it shattered in her. Then he and his brother put her alive in a trash can where she suffocated to death and then after she was dead he continued to mutilate her body and today Tennessee gave him the death penalty which is nothing compared to what he did to this young woman and man. The young man was shot and this girl went through all of this torture before she died she was an innocent victim and so was her boyfriend. They were driving home from spending time with some friends and where they carjacked them wasn't even near where they lived the murderers. Could you imagine if that were your child that goes through that and how you would feel sometimes I wonder what has this world become it brings tears to my eyes. How someone can be so dead inside and feel nothing at snuffing out a human life, no parent thinks or wants to out live their child because loving parents love their child more than the child loves them, that's what my mother tells me. The younger brother got life in prison because he went along with the older brother that instigated these acts. I know these things go on all over. It's sad. There is good in this world it's unfortunate that the bad is printed the most cause sensationalism sells. Well, anyway, have a good one.

Paige 

I have no idea whatsoever what that has to do with the debate here. The debate is about HEALTH CARE. Or at least thats what I thought. You then talk about DEATHPANELS? Oh good grief. Get it into your head that deathpanels would be an improvement for some people - they don't even get that opportunity in life because of circumstances beyond their control. You know the 10 year old kids...

If you are going to construct an arguement about why obamacare is so bad, please construct an arguement that makes sense, doesn't bleet on about your christian values or some terrible act that bears no relevance whatsoever to the topic at hand. Otherwise you just look like a raving right wing looney.

Death panels are in this health care bill and we are on this subject of this upcoming health care bill. They don't call them death panels. You must be young and healthy with zero problems for this not to concern you at all. Why should the government come between you and your doctor? Why should there be panels to decide what to do with you when you are too old and trying to prevent giving you adequate health care. The panel the government is wanting to be part of the health care bill has upset and offended our elderly society, don't you read this, it is common news knowledge. The elderly need the health care the most because they have more problems that's what happens when you grow old. When a person is 20 years old majority of the time they are healthy with no problems, rarely get sick, and they feel immortal. There are more 20 year old like this than 20 year olds with major health problems or diseases. It happens to young people but the majority it does not happen to. When I was 20, I was healthy as a horse. Now, not so much, I have prescriptions I take that are valid for my health. Anyone young out there, I'm 38, working my way toward middle age, lol, and let me tell you youth is fleeting and time flies by so fast, enjoy being young while you have it, it is a precious gift that is a short time of our lives. All your parents and grandparents were young too and really our minds and hearts are still that young person. All stages of life have wonderful times but being that young hopeful person is the best. It sounds to me like you think that the elderly should be put to sleep like an old dog or cat. You'll think differently when YOU ARE THE SENIOR CITIZEN and staying in a nursing home with nurses changing your diapers. You are going to be old one day too. We all are going to be old and we all will breath our last one day. Not trying to be morbid but you need to have empathy for the elderly.

Paige 

[quote name='newsman wrote:

paigecat
']Got that right, I have stuck around! I'm not going to let liberals on a forum scare me off by cyber bullying. I find that funny if you don't agree with someone about an issue then you are prejudiced. If that's the case we all are prejudiced. I just know it kills liberals to hear of opinions that are opposite of them. Majority of the media is liberal biased and yet they still aren't satisfied and wants everyone to think like drones. If your not politically correct then you are slapped with all kinds of slander and prejudices. It is ok to be diversified unless you are a Christian conservative then you are labeled a hater of everything. If anyone knows anything about Christianity it is about love and kindness. The Lord says never to hate anyone that it is a sin and I do not hate anybody. You can dislike an opinion or idea but to claim hate is wrong and is a sin. Christ tells us to love. I have a gay cousin, I do not agree with her choice of lifestyle but I do not ostracize her and hate her. I love her and will always love her. I care for her deeply and I've been over to her house . So, don't judge me, and think I'm a bad person, none of you know me nor do you know what I've been through in life.

Paige

I'm a Christian. Devote. I voted for Obama.

Is it cyber-bullying to point out your hypocricy and half-truths? Sorry, you seem very arrogant and misinformed -- and quick to play the victim. Unless I missed the posts where you came on this forum and railed against GW Bush lying us into war without a way to pay for it. That's is where $1 trillion of that debt came from before Obama even walked into the Oval Office. Fact. Bush never got up at 3 a.m. to meet the returning soldiers  as he contemplated war decsions. Obama did this week. Fact. If I missed those posts, I apologize.

Your use of the "death panels" argument, which has been abandoned by everyone on the right except you as false propaganda (yes, even Sarah Palin it was silly talk), demonstrates your inability to come to terms with reality.

Well, isn't it cyber bullying when people tell you that you come from slave owning/opium addicts and that your not welcome on this site that you need to quit bitching and go to twitter? And oh yeah, I"m also a troll, haha. I've been called lots of things on this site because of people who don't agree with me, I don't care if they don't agree with me or if you don't agree with me but to put out statements about my character and who I am, that's ridiculous. I feel that people who try to mudsling can't carry on a healthy debate about such things like this. These panels, which were dubbed by republicans as death panels, have been put back into the health care bill package so it is something that does concern me. Come to terms with reality? Just because you heard everyone has abandoned talk on these panels, you need to come to terms with reality and keep up with reading on a news website of  your choice about this being put back into the health care bill. I read and seen it on TV and yes for all you Fox News haters, that's where I get my news. I don't know why any of you care about what fox's conservative reporting, all you liberals have majority of the news in your pocket and majority of news reported out there has a liberal bias like Newsweek, CNN, MNBC, and all the 3 major networks. I don't think any liberals want anything that is against their way of thinking it's a one way street with y'all. Kindof sounds like liberals don't like real freedom of speech if it goes against their own ideas and agendas. Someone out of touch with reality doesn't read the news daily and digs their head in the sand, I keep up with the news on a daily basis. I like to read it online. I'm sure you or someone else will say something snarky about that as well. Not that I care. You are allowed your opinions on things but guess what so am I. You know, I bet everyone here hates Bill O'Reilly but hey that's ok, I really enjoy watching him. I've seen him tear Democrats and republicans to shreds. That's one man you don't want to come onto his show without doing your homework, you have to back up what your saying with real data or he will bring ya down. He gets hate mail all the time and mail that people really like him and he takes it all with a grain of salt with an obnoxious smirk on his face. I know he had his scandal a couple of years ago, they jerked a knot in his tail, he is obnoxious but I guess that's what makes him fun to watch. Oh, yeah, y'all really think George W. has a southern accent, I don't think so, he isn't a true Texan, both of his parents are from the northeast. His wife has an accent though. Maybe he picked up some from her but I don't really think he sounds like he has one. You know the founder of Fedex was a C student in college. George W. was a C student in college but it didn't stop him from being successful in business. I do know he got his money on oil. I will agree on one thing he was a huge mistake and the Iraq war was a mistake. Someone on here said that I voted for McCain, that's true, even though I'm not too crazy about him either but Obama goes against alot of what I stand for with bigger government and McCain wasn't far behind him but I had to vote for somebody, too bad there wasn't a nice Independent that was running. It's our privilege as Americans to vote. If anyone out here doesn't vote and can, go out and register to vote, it's our duty as Americans.

Paige

Paige