Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cmarie

"Amazing Grace":

Would someone please tell Bono that "Amazing Grace" was written some 260-odd years ago by a British slave trader who was calling himself a wretch for his line of work?  He was trying, at the time, to appease his own guilt.  Read your history!! Find another song. The slave trader was a minister, no less!

You should read a little more about the HYMN Amazing Grace, before you make a statement about it.  

And I don't think Bono needs to be told to find another song.  I am sure, as the brilliant and well-learned person that he is, is very aware of the meaing of the song, and is using it as a prayer.   Just FYI.wink.gif

why hit on bono for singing this song? as many black people have sung it before him , i dont think they show approval to slavery either when singin it..

i saw the film Amazing grace,  correct me when i'm fals informed, but i thought it's a prayer by a man who felt remorse for all he had seen  and done on the slave-ships ...

Would someone please tell Bono that "Amazing Grace" was written some 260-odd years ago by a British slave trader who was calling himself a wretch for his line of work?  He was trying, at the time, to appease his own guilt.  Read your history!! Find another song. The slave trader was a minister, no less!
Amazing Grace into Streets is a wonderful moment of worship in the show and I wouldn't want him to change it for ANYTHING!!!!

this is a religious song and  that is how Bono would like us to hear this song.  I am catholic and we sing amazing grace many times during mass. i dont think anyone else knows about this being a slave song. very strange.

There is always that one person.....that one person who gets all mad and bothered over something they don't know the full facts about.

Oh brother, Amazing Grace has been sungs as a hymnal for ages! Almost any funeral you go to you'll hear it. Artists of all kinds down the ages have recorded it. Joan Baez even sang it at Woodstock.

[quote name=cmarie]Would someone please tell Bono that "Amazing Grace" was written some 260-odd years ago by a British slave trader who was calling himself a wretch for his line of work?  He was trying, at the time, to appease his own guilt.  Read your history!! Find another song. The slave trader was a minister, no less!Not a great way to meet friends here in the zoo. You best know what you are talking about before you post something like that around here. I don't know the history of the song, but have always loved it, so I vote Bono can sing it anytime he damn well wants too!

Oh ya, who would that someone be,(telling him to find another song) may I ask..........you maybe?

some people think they actually *own* u2 and the band members... and can demand, whine like spoiled little bratshits.

"I will not tolerate this and that!!!" shit, some have literally said that... like about bono's singing, and i forgot what the other one was... that lead into a massive flock of coronaries on here.

i mean, wtf? ive seen bratty ass fans of bands before, but nothing like the shit that goes on in here...