Sign in to follow this  
bandcompletely

Current Discussion: If No Butts

ewww bono bum biting that's just gross

hehaha

Let me give it a bite and will let you know! happy.gif

whats with this board?? attracts all kinds of weird people...vampyres, ghosts and now cannibals too?!

whats with this board?? attracts all kinds of weird people...vampyres, ghosts and now cannibals too?!

oops, just wondering, are ghosts still considered 'people' are is there another word for them.... creatures, maybe?

Hey, it's the Zoo - full of strange animals! And we were having a normal chat in here and quite serious and suddenly back to bums!!!! Very odd, and bc has disappeared again!!! I answered his questions well i think!

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:

barbara1']whats with this board?? attracts all kinds of weird people...vampyres, ghosts and now cannibals too?!

oops, just wondering, are ghosts still considered 'people' are is there another word for them.... creatures, maybe?Well you have the alive, the dead and the undead so maybe they are unpeople!?

and bc is the ghost of the zoo...always disapearing like that..brrrrrrrrr...shivres.....

and bc is the ghost of the zoo...always disapearing like that..brrrrrrrrr...shivres.....

\it's all those multiple personailties he has - he gets mixed up. Maybe BC should stand for bloody confused!!!

[quote name='Zhivvy wrote:

bandcompletely wrote:

Zhivvy']Sounds good, we do that with some year nine kids. the ones you are about 10 points away from their target levels. We have 2 hours a week with them and do study skills etc... all on one to one really helps them.

What do you mean by 10 points away from their target levels?

The kids are all set target levels to meet at the end of each key stage. So when they leave primary school at 11 they have their key stage two tests and are leveled in the core subjects - English, maths and science. They should come in on about a level 4 to be average. Each level is a,b and c - A-top of the level. Through years seven eight and nine they should prgress upwards through the levels as they learn more. And at the end of year nine (end of key stage three) they should have reached their target level. Each step in the level is worth 2 points. So if their target level is a 6B and they are currently working at a 5C they are 6 points away from their level. Hope that makes sense. Not completely in agreement with this as we assess the kids too much in my opinion.

In my old place we used to do most lessons one to one - it was great. It was a centre for excluded kids so we did an alternative curriculum and didn't really have to follow the syllabus. So we could plan lessons but they would go off on tangents etc... not much academic stuff going on but we really helped the kids to have some repsect for teachers and adults and helped them to trust again

I think going off on tangents can be very helpful.  It allows one to relate what they learn to what they already comprehend.  That's invaluable.  As a kid, I used to read a lot of religious stuff.  The only way I could understand it was create analogies to help myself and others understand the complicated with that which we related to.  I still do it all the time in a work environment.  I need to.  I work on complicated stuff that a lot of people don't know or want to know.

With these kids schools had failed them and they had failed school for whatever reason. So sitting in a formal situation in a class is pointless - they need to learn in different ways. For example in English we had to study The Tempest so we mixed it with art and created Prospero's island in clay and papier machee. Then we made models of the characters and made a series of still photos to plot the play - the kids loved it and really learned a lot. We had so much fun there. When I had to leave as contracted ended and the unit shut i cried for days - never loved teaching so much. I'm looking for similar kind of work but there aren't many units like that

I think I'm in agreement with you ... about the assessing.  Too much assessing is too much analyzing.  And you know what too much analyzing does - causes depression.  So if over analyzing ourselves causes negative reactions, then over-analyzing kids can not be too good either.

the whole papier mache and photo thing sounds like it was an excellent idea.  It's a pity the unit shut - why is it always the best stuff only lasts for a short period?

barbara1']and bc is the ghost of the zoo...always disapearing like that..brrrrrrrrr...shivres.....

\it's all those multiple personailties he has - he gets mixed up. Maybe BC should stand for bloody confused!!!I have multiple personalities?

- Yes you do.  Remember me?

I told you to go back into the closet.  I'm not ready for you to come out yet.

- You're lucky I know you because that last statement sounded like you were gay.

Maybe I was stating you were gay.

- Good one! hahahaha - I can't contain my sarcasm.

You can't contain your chat either.  Will you please shut up and go back in the closet?

- Okay I'm going.  I know when I'm not wanted! eyes.gif

I think I'm in agreement with you ... about the assessing.  Too much assessing is too much analyzing.  And you know what too much analyzing does - causes depression.  So if over analyzing ourselves causes negative reactions, then over-analyzing kids can not be too good either.

the whole papier mache and photo thing sounds like it was an excellent idea.  It's a pity the unit shut - why is it always the best stuff only lasts for a short period?

Because of the money - the director of the lea can earn 100 000 plus a year but they won't pay for the most needy kids around! These kids wouldn't have got the grades so don't count in a positive way in the stats so let them drift is their attitude! They'll drop out of view of society as they follow the patterns they see around them - pregnant by 16, on drugs (most of the ones we had at 14 drink and take drugs), and in prison by about 20. We were trying to get them to see that they had other choices - but then it stopped - hate the education authority for doing that

[quote name='bandcompletely wrote:

Zhivvy']Like it, is that one of yours?

Yep, it's mine.  Thought it up in just 5 minutes.  I just need a thought... and I'm off. ;-)

I'm in a poetic and descriptive mood tonight.

Give me a thought and I'll create something for you...

"The old fire"

Claire T']ewww bono bum biting that's just gross

hehaha

Let me give it a bite and will let you know! happy.gif

pfff no comment  and you know who i think has the best butt in u2 anyway devil.giflaugh.gif

[quote name='Claire T wrote:

Zhivvy wrote:

hehaha

Let me give it a bite and will let you know!
happy.gif

pfff no comment  and you know who i think has the best butt in u2 anyway devil.giflaugh.gif

The one with the purple bass by any chance?

phuw, you did scare me BC ...reappearing like that!!!

but you are right, you know..there's too much pressure on kids, today. every generation must do better, get higher grades... one of our friends teaches basicschool , 4&5 class (9-10 year olds) and he claims he's teaching them things they only had to learn in first class of highschool a couple of years ago...

so: less time to play, draw and read (for pleasure i mean , not for an assignment)..i see that with our kids, things we (in our time) practiced in class, now they have to practice at home, cause when they get to class next day, teacher will be on to the next level....it's sad.

Zhivvy wrote:

barbara1']and bc is the ghost of the zoo...always disapearing like that..brrrrrrrrr...shivres.....

\it's all those multiple personailties he has - he gets mixed up. Maybe BC should stand for bloody confused!!!
I have multiple personalities?

- You're lucky I know you because that last statement sounded like you were gay.

You can't contain your chat either.  Will you please shut up and go back in the closet?

C'mon we like you here really !!! happy.gif

Hi Naz how's it going?

Because of the money - the director of the lea can earn 100 000 plus a year but they won't pay for the most needy kids around! These kids wouldn't have got the grades so don't count in a positive way in the stats so let them drift is their attitude! They'll drop out of view of society as they follow the patterns they see around them - pregnant by 16, on drugs (most of the ones we had at 14 drink and take drugs), and in prison by about 20. We were trying to get them to see that they had other choices - but then it stopped - hate the education authority for doing that

It's important to keep a small minority of people on a high wage.  It's not important to improve the quality of the majority of people's lives.  A sad fact of a corrupt world.

Zhivvy wrote:

I have multiple personalities?

i hope it wasnt the nice one, that got send away.... are we stucked with the jekyll..or the hyde... we'll find out soon...

Hi chicas !!!! and Hi BC !!!!!

I'm much better, and I didn't smoke today ! Fingers cross, maybe I definitly quit ....

Would see....

Zhivvy']

It's important to keep a small minority of people on a high wage.  It's not important to improve the quality of the majority of people's lives.  A sad fact of a corrupt world.

I know but breaks my heart to see these young people wasting away in life and they have so much to offer.

And barbara you are right - there is so much pressure on kids these days - i never had pressure and things to learn like that. I remember last year when Eleanor was in year one (ages 5-6) she had her spelling to learn for homework. I was asking her which phoneme sound they were learning to spell that week. She told me (can't remember which one now - one made with vowels i think) and then proceded to tell me all the ways to do it and then went into great detail explaining to me what a split diagraph was and how they work!!! I was impressed, and luckily she is very bright and can cope with these big words etc... but surely it is unnecessary for a five year old to know these words! Let them play, read for fun and learn about making friends and being a good person before we start to fill their heads with complicated words and concepts

About the title: Unfortunatly I have a mate in my acting classes, this title seems her description.

About the title: Unfortunatly I have a mate in my acting classes, this title seems her description.

Well done on no smoking today - one day i will give up. But i do only smoke about 2 or three a day!!

Your friend sounds interesting ...happy.gif

Claire T wrote:

Zhivvy wrote:

hehaha

happy.gif

pfff no comment  and you know who i think has the best butt in u2 anyway
devil.giflaugh.gif

you mean the purple sparkly one that HE HAS TO use in Vienna!

[quote name='Claire T wrote:

Zhivvy wrote:

Claire T wrote:

Zhivvy wrote:

hehaha

happy.gif

pfff no comment  and you know who i think has the best butt in u2 anyway
devil.giflaugh.gif

you mean the purple sparkly one that HE HAS TO use in Vienna!

I'm sure he'll be polishingit right now just for you in August! tongue.gif

nazhira']About the title: Unfortunatly I have a mate in my acting classes, this title seems her description.

Well done on no smoking today - one day i will give up. But i do only smoke about 2 or three a day!!

Your friend sounds interesting ...happy.gif

Thank you Zhiv ! My ideal is to smoke 2 or 3 but it's impossible with me. Like in others matters with me is all or nothing.

My friend, I will try to meet her better this year, she is an enigma to me, she is really like not being there at all. It seems I'm the only who notice her.