Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Janette B

The Mick Jones Appreciation Thread

she performed this amazing song on last years eurovision-song-contest....

thought you'd know it? or not... yes-yes....i'll stop!

Hi y'all.

just got home (6am) from a harrowing work weekend.

I trust you're all well and hope you had a lovely weekend.

Must sleep, but I'll catch up with all you lovely mates when I wake up tomorrow.

Mick xx

sleep tide, mick! sweet dreams... (enjoy it while you still can.......w152h182_huilende_baby.gif)wink.gif

LOL!!!

Wifey has just gotten up as I'm getting in, and baby just kicked my hand!

See you tomorrow Babs

xx

[quote name='mick james wrote:

Janette B']I've actually listened a little on YouTube today, but thanks for that, Mack�
thumbsup.gif
�I've�definitely heard of the band,�but never any of their songs.� I�think the only reason that I've heard their name is that they opened for U2, lol. They are not�on the radio in these parts at all.�I think it is�extremely difficult for bands to break in the US because�most of the radio stations�are�owned by Clear Channel and�we get�highly specialized programming depending upon where you live, ie: Top 40, country/western, R and B, etc. I think the demise of MTV and VH1 have�made it even harder since there's no uniformity across the country . . . we don't hear what is heard in the southern states, for example, like in the hey-day of MTV when EVERYONE heard U2, REM, THE POLICE . . . I don't think there's an outlet like that anymore.�

��

I noticed the very standard radio when I was in the States last year. 

I think in The UK and Oz, much more respect is given to alternative music, especially on the radio and TV - eg BBC and Aussies JJJ radio station, very often feature and push bands that would never ever get played on American radio.

Don't get me wrong, we still get Ga-Ga'd, but the whole slick R and B hip-hop thing just doesn't seem to translate into the massive success those acts get in the US.

In fact as a great example - the band I mentioned above "the Pixes" play at the same venue as Lady Gaga does in Sydney this week.  The Pixies sold out 3 shows to her 1 show -  an underground band from 20 years ago outselling the biggest popstar of the minute 3 to 1! Cool!!

Or the recent Faith No More reunion tour - sold out world wide and they headlined every major festival in Europe and Australia - considered rock Gods.  Now they're on the way to the States where they're considered 1 hit wonders, and are playing only 5 small shows - and that's they're home country!

I was looking for this, but I got sick before I could respond, then forgot about it . . . . anyway . . . . yeah, it's probably much easier to break in Australia where urban areas are relatively small and close together and although I've never been there, don't bands have a tradition of traveling up and down the east coast and out to mining camps where they get experience playing live before some fairly tough audiences, true? It would seem like bands would get seasoned fairly quickly and word of mouth would spread from city to city,  or am I totally wrong? I've never been to Australia, but just considering the geography, this makes sense to me. If you are in Sydney, would you be able to listen to radio stations in Melborne or Brisbane, for instance . . . if yes, that would help spread new music too, wouldn't it?  I'm thinking of America and how much harder it would be since it's so spread out. Now we do have alternative stations in urban centers and college radio, but of course they don't reach very far. 

Btw, Lady Gaga is more of a novelty rolleyes.gif than someone taken very seriously, at least where I live. I think she may appear more popular than she really is . . . I bet much of her sales are from curiousity more than appeal. Of course, I could be totally wrong with this too.

Sorry for my rambling. . .  in a hurry, but would be really interested in your thoughts, if you don't mind cute.gif

[quote name='Janette B wrote:

mick james wrote:

Janette B']I've actually listened a little on YouTube today, but thanks for that, Mack�
thumbsup.gif
�I've�definitely heard of the band,�but never any of their songs.� I�think the only reason that I've heard their name is that they opened for U2, lol. They are not�on the radio in these parts at all.�I think it is�extremely difficult for bands to break in the US because�most of the radio stations�are�owned by Clear Channel and�we get�highly specialized programming depending upon where you live, ie: Top 40, country/western, R and B, etc. I think the demise of MTV and VH1 have�made it even harder since there's no uniformity across the country . . . we don't hear what is heard in the southern states, for example, like in the hey-day of MTV when EVERYONE heard U2, REM, THE POLICE . . . I don't think there's an outlet like that anymore.�

��

I noticed the very standard radio when I was in the States last year. 

I think in The UK and Oz, much more respect is given to alternative music, especially on the radio and TV - eg BBC and Aussies JJJ radio station, very often feature and push bands that would never ever get played on American radio.

Don't get me wrong, we still get Ga-Ga'd, but the whole slick R and B hip-hop thing just doesn't seem to translate into the massive success those acts get in the US.

In fact as a great example - the band I mentioned above "the Pixes" play at the same venue as Lady Gaga does in Sydney this week.  The Pixies sold out 3 shows to her 1 show -  an underground band from 20 years ago outselling the biggest popstar of the minute 3 to 1! Cool!!

Or the recent Faith No More reunion tour - sold out world wide and they headlined every major festival in Europe and Australia - considered rock Gods.  Now they're on the way to the States where they're considered 1 hit wonders, and are playing only 5 small shows - and that's they're home country!

I was looking for this, but I got sick before I could respond, then forgot about it . . . . anyway . . . . yeah, it's probably much easier to break in Australia where urban areas are relatively small and close together and although I've never been there, don't bands have a tradition of traveling up and down the east coast and out to mining camps where they get experience playing live before some fairly tough audiences, true? It would seem like bands would get seasoned fairly quickly and word of mouth would spread from city to city,  or am I totally wrong? I've never been to Australia, but just considering the geography, this makes sense to me. If you are in Sydney, would you be able to listen to radio stations in Melborne or Brisbane, for instance . . . if yes, that would help spread new music too, wouldn't it?  I'm thinking of America and how much harder it would be since it's so spread out. Now we do have alternative stations in urban centers and college radio, but of course they don't reach very far. 

Btw, Lady Gaga is more of a novelty rolleyes.gif than someone taken very seriously, at least where I live. I think she may appear more popular than she really is . . . I bet much of her sales are from curiousity more than appeal. Of course, I could be totally wrong with this too.

Sorry for my rambling. . .  in a hurry, but would be really interested in your thoughts, if you don't mind cute.gif

Hi mate.

We do have a national youth station JJJ that plays all sorts of great music and unlike the big US stations, they actually do play new bands and alternative, dance, metal etc etc.  It's pretty handy to have the government funding such a station, and it's certainly a rite of passage in your teenage years.

I used to do a radio show for about 6 years on the Syndey alternative station would you believe? lol

But Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane big cities.  In fact Sydney is as big or bigger than nearly every US city not counting your big 3 - NY, LA and Chicago.  5 million, and Melbournes not much smaller.

But Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane are actually separated by 1000s of kilometers

Another thing that's probably different here, is we have major music festivals nearly every other week.

And for the most part they're all multi-genre. I think it's due to the nice weather.

I know festivals are big in the US and UK, but they just keep going all year here due to the complete lack of snow/ rain.

And our tastes being a hybrid of local music and equal parts European music/American music leads to some great line-ups.

Coupled with the fact that every band in the northern hemisphere escapes the northern winter for the souther summer, means we get some great gigs.

Did you know that Australians spend the most money in the world per head on concert tickets?

Interestingly enough more people saw U2 in Sydney on the Vertigo tour than they did in NYC on the same tour!

Nearly 260000 peeps in 3 shows.

That's 1 in 16 people in Sydney going to see U2!  Same for ACDC a few weeks ago (they outsold U2s record by 900 tickets the bastards!)

It's a good place to be a live music fan (unless you want to see U2360 of course!)

Cheryl, same to you!! I hope u are enjoying some taste of Spring over there!!!

Mick, I sent you 2 messages with Jaime Rod's recording from Atlanta of MUSE...listen to Marianne scream...the quality is not great of the sound except for her screaming....and I love to hear Jaime singing too! I guess my screaming just blends in with everyone else. Hopefully, the videos come through for you...I sent it to your u2.com email...

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Too funny!

Marianne was a weeee bit excited yeah????

And mate, thanks sooo much for all the great Muse News and photos etc over the last while.

It's awesome your sharing your passion for music and concerts with another brilliant band.

And even better I love that you and Marianne have a band that you both love - that's just awesome

I'll be sure to let you know when Arcade Fire starts back up in a few months - -and I really hope you get a chance to see them!

Anyway my girl, you've got my email, and I've got yours, so be sure to keep in touch.

Love ya mate!

and found this amazing song on it... you should translate the lyrics, so heartbreaking...

thumbsup.gifgood vioce!....aye could listen to her.In English.......smile.gif

she performed this amazing song on last years eurovision-song-contest....

thought you'd know it? or not... yes-yes....i'll stop!

re this!.I actuallu like the Eurovision!tongue.gif

Mick !.......(((hugs))))).hows the wean?.Kicking non stop now?........tongue.gifhave you decided on any names yet?......

was gonnae do my windows today but its pissing down...........ohwell.gif

LOL!!!

See you tomorrow Babs

xx

So sweet when you can feel them - Brings it home that there is a real other life growing inside of you. Shows how amazing life really is.

The best is near to the end of pregnancy when baby is huge and then it gets the hiccups! One of the funniest things to watch. As the carrier of the hiccuping baby it does make you feel a little sick (and needing a pee!!!) but source of great amusement to those around - especially a class full of kids! 

LOL!!!

See you tomorrow Babs

xx

So sweet when you can feel them - Brings it home that there is a real other life growing inside of you. Shows how amazing life really is.

The best is near to the end of pregnancy when baby is huge and then it gets the hiccups! One of the funniest things to watch. As the carrier of the hiccuping baby it does make you feel a little sick (and needing a pee!!!) but source of great amusement to those around - especially a class full of kids! 

Heya Zhiv! El just went off to bed, and it's hillarious - baby has just worked out that's the perfect time to wake up!

I think we have a cheeky one on our handslaugh.gif

Mick !.......(((hugs))))).hows the wean?.Kicking non stop now?........tongue.gifhave you decided on any names yet?......

was gonnae do my windows today but its pissing down...........ohwell.gif

Heya Mary!!

Yeah mate with have a boys and a girls name picked out. They were names that were special to my Mum, and we told her the names before she passed, so I'd better stick to those!

It's nice though, that way she could be involved in her grandchilds life in a way. She was pretty happy that we did that for her.

Cannae tell ya yet, but they're good Irish names!happy.gif

And Mary my girl, we have Simple Minds turning up on Friday. I'll see them Saturday, so I'll let you know!

awe Mick thats lovely!........happy.gifhappy.gifAlways remember Mick yer Ma is up there watching and looking after you and yours!thumbsup.gif

yes youve got to see SM Mick!.honestly there brill this tour.and hope they do the same there as here...you get the concert at end of show on a usb stick ......thumbsup.gif..just wish U2 would do that as well eh!.......and I have to say Jim and co can still dance,move entertain even though thier getting old now!.lol!........Charlie is ma darlin'!........thumbsup.gif

LOL!!!

See you tomorrow Babs

xx

laugh.gif

had some wide- awake nites..eek.gif..mine always seemed to get hickups when i wannet to go to sleep...tired.gifeek.gif

[quote name='mick james wrote:

badgirl56']Mick !.......(((hugs))))).hows the wean?.Kicking non stop now?........
tongue.gif
have you decided on any names yet?......

was gonnae do my windows today but its pissing down...........
ohwell.gif

Heya Mary!!

Yeah mate with have a boys and a girls name picked out. They were names that were special to my Mum, and we told her the names before she passed, so I'd better stick to those!

It's nice though, that way she could be involved in her grandchilds life in a way. She was pretty happy that we did that for her.

Cannae tell ya yet, but they're good Irish names!happy.gif

And Mary my girl, we have Simple Minds turning up on Friday. I'll see them Saturday, so I'll let you know!

that was so sweet of you both, mick, doing that for your mom...

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:

mick james wrote:

badgirl56']Mick !.......(((hugs))))).hows the wean?.Kicking non stop now?........
tongue.gif
have you decided on any names yet?......

was gonnae do my windows today but its pissing down...........
ohwell.gif

Heya Mary!!

Cannae tell ya yet, but they're good Irish names!
happy.gif

that was so sweet of you both, mick, doing that for your mom...

That is lovely that you could tell your mum the names. I'm sure that they are beautiful names too.

And enjoy simple minds!