Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Janette B

The Mick Jones Appreciation Thread

Mick, you went stalking Bono in NY??? Or was it the wife put you up to it . . . she still has that gleam in her eye!!! Nice photo of the two of you, btw! Aren't you going to do any work today . . .

Lol! No Janette mate, we're definately not the stalking types (well anymore anywaylaugh.gif). New York is way to exciting a place to waste time chasing Yer Man around!

Mind, I have been down to Windmill Lane to leave a message, but nothing more stalkery than that!

And, yes, I'll get a nasty email from the IT dept if they keep seeing U2.com popping up!

See you later matehappy.gif

237.jpgthese are some of what i got a couple of weeks ago in Dublin:The gates to his house

235.jpg

And me adding to the grafitti on the street sign - at the time writing barbara1's name on there for her birthday!

Was it tempting to play a game of knock and run???laugh.gif

Was it tempting to play a game of knock and run???
laugh.gif

No!!! i was so scared that those gates were going to open and well ..... I don't know what i would have done .And i didn't look suspicious at all lurking around the street sign with a marker pen and a camera on a saturday morning!!!

OMG mick!! you're quite foxy too! embarassed.gif oops, i have to be carefull, hubbie is lookin over shoulder!!

but it is nice to see an 'old' zootop who plays with us, newbies! and great pics too! i can see why your wife is smiling! having a pic taken by the edge while standin next to b-man, and gettin a kiss too? if that would happen to me, my love would turn green!

oh hi, zhiv, didnt see you all green on your sofa there! LOL! but you have some very fine pics too! so i'm the one who's turning green now! my only consulation; my name is up there too, thanx for that zhiv!

thumbsup.gifZhivy the Gates Of Heaven......thumbsup.gif.......Lassies.dont you think Mick looks like a young Micheal Stipes?(REM).......tongue.gif

Mick you must tell them your proposal story......tongue.gifthumbsup.gif...Ellies pic just proves U2 love the Aussies!thumbsup.gif..so BMan or any of you who are reading this!.get yer erses over!thumbsup.gif

thumbsup.gifZhivy the Gates Of Heaven......thumbsup.gif.......Lassies.dont you think Mick looks like a young Micheal Stipes?(REM).......tongue.gif

Mick you must tell them your proposal story......tongue.gifthumbsup.gif...Ellies pic just proves U2 love the Aussies!thumbsup.gif..so BMan or any of you who are reading this!.get yer erses over!thumbsup.gif

Want to hear the proposal story - i'm sure it will be amazing - i'm a sucker for a bit of romance - tell us please!!!!!!

And yes, he does have the Michael Stipe eyes!

Mick seems like a nice guy....

but I want to take this opportunity also to than the Mick Jones pictured earlier for the many hours and days of happiness he brought me writing, playing and recording for the Clash and Big Audio Dynamite.

Mary, first thinks for letting me know about my first Zootop friend's Appreciation Thread...I don't come in near as often as I did the Old Zoo...but for Mick, I will :-)....And I have had the pleasure of meeting Mick...was actually a highlight for me in New York meeting Mick and his lovely wife.  Mick, I don't need to post all the great things about you cuz u know how I feel anyway and I don't want to make u blush anymore than necessary ;-).  (((((Mick & Ellie)))))

Here we are....:

NewYorkU2206.jpg

smile.gifYes this is a really good thread , the zoo has many a time made me laugh hard , smile and moved me in ways that I dont know how anybody for just technical issues has left  .....

Long live the zoo.....

Great thread mick :o)

Mary, first thinks for letting me know about my first Zootop friend's Appreciation Thread...I don't come in near as often as I did the Old Zoo...but for Mick, I will :-)....And I have had the pleasure of meeting Mick...was actually a highlight for me in New York meeting Mick and his lovely wife.  Mick, I don't need to post all the great things about you cuz u know how I feel anyway and I don't want to make u blush anymore than necessary ;-).  (((((Mick & Ellie)))))

Here we are....:

thumbsup.gif

Nice photo of you too, Tracy ") I just can't go (((THUD))) over womenyay.gif

So, we will wait patiently for the proposal story . . . .

[quote name=Janette B wrote:

tracy c.]

Here we are....:

thumbsup.gif

Nice photo of you too, Tracy ") I just can't go (((THUD))) over womenyay.gif

Janette, first of all Mick is a sweetheart...at one time he was one of our mail pin ups from the old zoo...remember, Mick?  U, Bash, Brian, Jaime, etc.  Secondly, I am not THUD worthy...just sitting next to Mick made me beam :-)

And as much as I love R.E.M., Michael Stipes is no MICK!!! 

[quote name='tracy c. wrote:

Janette B wrote:

tracy c.']

Here we are....:

thumbsup.gif

Nice photo of you too, Tracy ") I just can't go (((THUD))) over women
yay.gif

Janette, first of all Mick is a sweetheart...at one time he was one of our mail pin ups from the old zoo...remember, Mick?  U, Bash, Brian, Jaime, etc.  Secondly, I am not THUD worthy...just sitting next to Mick made me beam :-)

And as much as I love R.E.M., Michael Stipes is no MICK!!! 

embarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gif

Ah you girls, I couldn't be feeling more coy right now if I wanted too. ha ha

And Tracy mate, meeting you the day after seeing the boys was perfect!!

Here's a El took of me excitedly jumping over chairs at Giants in a rush down to the front to see you in person for the first time

IMG_9092.jpg?t=1268095196

And girls, you'll be pleased to know we took Tracy over to Bono's doorstep in the Upper West Side to try her luck!

Tracy, I'm hoping to see you in the Zoo more often - time for the nice old folk, and the lovely new folk to team up an turn this place into something special again!  Tracy, Mary, Barb, Janette, Zhiv whatd'ya say??  I see Jaime popping in, and I'm sure some foxy ladies could woo Basher, Brain,  and the rest of the boys back here.....

Alright, proposal story huh?

Well when I was about 21 I got a great shock to find my lovely girlfriend Ellie was packing up and moving to the UK for a couple of years (this is actually very common for young Aussies - move to the UK or trek around the world for a couple of years. We live veeeery far away I guess).

Mind, this did not really factor into my plansfrown.giflaugh.gif

So with a lot of tears etc I watched her get on that plane, and got home and thought, now what??

About a month later, tickets for Elevation were going on sale (they weren't coming to Oz).

So I thought, I'll try and get tickets to London!  After watching 3 shows to Earls Court sell out instantly, I gave up on my 56k modem on the wrong side of the world.  It hit refresh once more for good measure, and a 4th show got added - and with amazing luck, I scored 2 GA tickets!!!

The following week Slane went on sale, and I scored 2 more.

Time to surprise my girl!

So next was to buy plane tics and get to the UK.so 6 months later there we were reunited (sorry about the shmaltz!).

On the morning of the London show, we heard Bono's dad had died, and thought the show would be called off..... but they went ahead with it.

With limited time together in London, we decided to forsake the early morning GA line-up and go see the royal deer in the park, and we ended up joining the queue at about 3pm. 

They handed out the wrist bands for the inside of the heart at about 4, and I'll never forget how they stopped about 3 people before us!! Nooooo!!!

So they let those 300 peeps in, and all of a sudden we found ourselves at the front of the next lot of people - in we rushed and scored the rail at the very tip of the heart! Woo hoo!

So the boys came on,  and rocked out with the house lights on for Elevation.  Beautiful Day next, and Bono made his way round the ramp, and we thought "he's coming right for us!"  Now here's the cool bit - he grabbed my hand, and pretty much jumped out on us. I had his hand, and El and I both had a knee!! And he sang the "see the world in green and blue part" while we held him there. He was crying too. Amazing.

It really stands out to me too - as eveyone knew Bono's dad had just passed, no-one was going too crazy - people were just patting him on the back gently, I was really something special.

Now some might call such a thing luck - I always thought that moment for us, was meant to be!

We flew to Dublin 2 days later for the first Slane show.  Now you all know about that one, and yes, it was awesome.

We were staying in Howth (a lovely sea-side town where the boys played some of their very first gigs) the next day. So off for a nice dinner a few pints of black.

As we strolled (stumbled rather) back up the hill to the hotel, we passed this beautiful church, and I thought " just do it Mick!'

So I dropped to my knee right then and there and popped the question!

So there you go, I went to the other side of the world to get my girl back, and it worked!

Now nearly 7 years later, we go to see the boys in NYC and come back with a surprise souveneer - due 20th June 2010.laugh.gif

Mick seems like a nice guy....

but I want to take this opportunity also to than the Mick Jones pictured earlier for the many hours and days of happiness he brought me writing, playing and recording for the Clash and Big Audio Dynamite.

Pete, my big brother took me to Zoo Tv in sydney when I was 14, and we were lucky enough to get Mick Jones and Big Audio Dynamite as the support act!  "Siiiituation No Win!" Good times.

I never got to see the Clash, but in 2000 I saw one of Joe Strummers very last gigs, before he passed away.

it was at a festival, and Joe also came out and played with Primal Scream (one of my favs) for most of their set. Now that was pretty damn cool!

beautiful story, mick!! must be quite an experience, standing there, touching bono while he sang that!

and i should tell you my love got almost as jealouse at you as he is on the B-man, when he caught me callin you foxy this morning!LOL!

he's just a jealouse guy...

beautiful story, mick!! must be quite an experience, standing there, touching bono while he sang that!

and i should tell you my love got almost as jealouse at you as he is on the B-man, when he caught me callin you foxy this morning!LOL!

My wifey stopped caring about the foxy Zoo girls years ago!laugh.gif

[quote name='mick james wrote:

barbara1']beautiful story, mick!! must be quite an experience, standing there, touching bono while he sang that!

My wifey stopped caring about the foxy Zoo girls years ago!laugh.gif

smart girl!!wink.gif

tongue.gif

R.E.M-mans-sexuality-revealed-5945092.jpg

Mick!!!! I have met u and trust me, u do not look like that!!!

And y'all will never know if I got lucky at the steps of Bono's penthouse in NY.....;-)

Now nearly 7 years later, we go to see the boys in NYC and come back with a surprise souveneer - due 20th June 2010.laugh.gif

Congratulations Mick!!! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

[quote name='jbarnych wrote:

mick james']

Now nearly 7 years later, we go to see the boys in NYC and come back with a surprise souveneer - due 20th June 2010.
laugh.gif

Congratulations Mick!!! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Thankyou very much mate!!1roll.gif

I was saying to Tracy C,  we'll know if it's going to be a Zootop if it comes four days earliar on "16th of June, 9.05" if you know what I mean!  I guess the first important bit of being alive is to "Breath" after all!laugh.gif

[quote name='tracy c. wrote:

mick james']
tongue.gif

R.E.M-mans-sexuality-revealed-5945092.jpg

Mick!!!! I have met u and trust me, u do not look like that!!!

And y'all will never know if I got lucky at the steps of Bono's penthouse in NY.....;-)

michael-stipe_l.jpg

I'm hoping Mary means this one, and not the blue-headed late era Stipe!laugh.gif

As for getting lucky Tracy, didn't I see a photo of one of the Zoo Foxes, cuddling up to the Silver Haired Fox????laugh.gif

[quote name='mick james wrote:

jbarnych wrote:

mick james']

Now nearly 7 years later, we go to see the boys in NYC and come back with a surprise souveneer - due 20th June 2010.
laugh.gif

Congratulations Mick!!!
smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Thankyou very much mate!!1roll.gif

I was saying to Tracy C,  we'll know if it's going to be a Zootop if it comes four days earliar on "16th of June, 9.05" if you know what I mean!  I guess the first important bit of being alive is to "Breath" after all!laugh.gif

That's great!! laugh.gif I'm sure you'll turn the little one into a great fan! I did with mine. She has been known to frequently post U2 lyrics as her status, and she sings the songs in the shower. roll.gif

[quote name='jbarnych wrote:

mick james wrote:

jbarnych wrote:

mick james']

laugh.gif

Congratulations Mick!!!
smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Thankyou very much mate!!1
roll.gif

I was saying to Tracy C,  we'll know if it's going to be a Zootop if it comes four days earliar on "16th of June, 9.05" if you know what I mean!  I guess the first important bit of being alive is to "Breath" after all!
laugh.gif

That's great!! laugh.gif I'm sure you'll turn the little one into a great fan! I did with mine. She has been known to frequently post U2 lyrics as her status, and she sings the songs in the shower. roll.gif

I don't know my friend, it can go one of two ways.....  they'll either love U2 like your awesome little one, or they'll rebel against mum and da,  and hate them with a passion! laugh.gif

I'm going to play it safe and keep the U2 nerd-dom to a minimum, and just hope for the bestlaugh.gif