Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bajagirl

Artificial Horizon Triple Vinyl!!!!!!!

Id like to know how limited this is going to be..........as it sounds like they are pressing it to order. So will it be strictly pressed to the number of pre-orders or will they do a standard run and then the excess turns up in the shop?
Probably the latter G....it'll be an order basis only to see how popular it is then probably appear in the shop for general sale a couple of months later.....wouldn't surprise me if it ends up getting a general release anyways.

pft and yet they can't get any of the Europen stuff from the first leg into the shop

[quote name='basher1 wrote:

aussiegirl']Id like to know how limited this is going to be..........as it sounds like they are pressing it to order. So will it be strictly pressed to the number of pre-orders or will they do a standard run and then the excess turns up in the shop?

Probably the latter G....it'll be an order basis only to see how popular it is then probably appear in the shop for general sale a couple of months later.....wouldn't surprise me if it ends up getting a general release anyways.

And the pricing sucks.

it pretty much costs $50 to get the standard CD version, which most are still waiting for,

but you can get the super-duper purple triple vinyl deluxe version for $30, with a bonus track.

Why don't subsribers get the bonus download too?

(I'n my best Jerry Seinfeld voice)  What is the deal with that?

this is getting beyond a joke the cd was to be a subs gift yeah......but non-subbers can pay a bit extra to get the viynal.....not exzactly "exclusive" is it.

u2 are fast becoming the one thing i'd never thought i would see....all about the cash it is just pure greed now and its getting out of hand no wonder Bono keeps saying "thanks for giving us a great life" well if they keep putting out 2 million different formats of albums cd's singles of course yer gonna have a great life and now its remix this and remix that i have heard the remix stuff and it is total crap.....u2 have sadly become just another corporate c**k s*****r the lure of more and more money fleeced from fans is too much to resist now.

Sad.. but it seems to be true.. frown.gif

This pisses me off. Artificial Horizon was supposed to be a subscriber's gift. Now they're allowing the release, albeit on vinyl, to the general public, and I'm supposed to be excited. I'm not! My subscription has no value. U2, this is as bad as the ticket SNAFU for the Vertigo Tour. You have insulted everyone who is a U2.com member. Subscribers deserve an apology and something that makes the annual subscription fee truly worthwhile.

I'm rather irritated with this too. It's always something else. Pay for this, get that and only you get that. Then it's released in a different format; for however many dollars more. arrggghhh Prince gave out a free copy of his latest CD the last time I saw him. (great show, he's still got it) Coldplay gave out a free digital download of both Violet Hill and Viva La Vida to anyone who wanted it...all you had to do was go to Coldplay.com. (the two first singles off their then newly released CD. They also gave out a free download of the video to Viva La Vida when it first came out. They also gave out a free copy of a live CD from the tour, called: Left Right, Left Right Left. It costs nothing to belong to their fan club and they also have (or have had) free presales on Coldplay.com. I got great seats twice. They charged $95.00 vs $250.00 for the 360 tour.

I don't like saying this because I love U2, their music and what they stand for. I've been a subscriber since Propoganda existed. I've been treated great here on U2.com. I don't mind paying for a subscription but don't peddle me something and then turn around and up the anty. I don't quite know what to think about all of this but I'm really disappointed and somewhat angry. This all adds up and people who don't have a lot of money lose out. Just my opinion but I feel cheated.

I'm rather irritated with this too. It's always something else. Pay for this, get that and only you get that. Then it's released in a different format; for however many dollars more. arrggghhh Prince gave out a free copy of his latest CD the last time I saw him. (great show, he's still got it) Coldplay gave out a free digital download of both Violet Hill and Viva La Vida to anyone who wanted it...all you had to do was go to Coldplay.com. (the two first singles off their then newly released CD. They also gave out a free download of the video to Viva La Vida when it first came out. They also gave out a free copy of a live CD from the tour, called: Left Right, Left Right Left. It costs nothing to belong to their fan club and they also have (or have had) free presales on Coldplay.com. I got great seats twice. They charged $95.00 vs $250.00 for the 360 tour.

I don't like saying this because I love U2, their music and what they stand for. I've been a subscriber since Propoganda existed. I've been treated great here on U2.com. I don't mind paying for a subscription but don't peddle me something and then turn around and up the anty. I don't quite know what to think about all of this but I'm really disappointed and somewhat angry. This all adds up and people who don't have a lot of money lose out. Just my opinion but I feel cheated.

I agree with everything you've said here.

Many big bands have free fan clubs with better content, and they also offer presales.

But it's only more upsetting when it's your favourite band taking liberties.

I also feel cheated.

Meh, I'm just happy that I can add another unique U2 Vinyl to my collection.

This will go nicely with my Discotheques vinyl set that I picked up at a dj shop many years ago!

Would have been nice to have the MOFO mix on Artificial Horizon but oh well.

As for them selling this to the general public, who cares? The more the merrier, MUCH of this content is available through singles and b-sides anyways.

I'm not a fan of any form of exclusivity. I'm happy to know that the vinyl is open to both the paying member and the non-paying member, and even the general public.

A reason why they have gone this route with the vinyl release may be because they are not getting the same numbers of people re-subscribing to the site as they have in previous years, so for them to generate the revenue expected, they need to sell outside of the paid site. If the paid side of the forum is a "ghost town" as has been mentioned numerously, this is quite a plausible scenario.

I'm not a fan of any form of exclusivity. I'm happy to know that the vinyl is open to both the paying member and the non-paying member, and even the general public.

A reason why they have gone this route with the vinyl release may be because they are not getting the same numbers of people re-subscribing to the site as they have in previous years, so for them to generate the revenue expected, they need to sell outside of the paid site. If the paid side of the forum is a "ghost town" as has been mentioned numerously, this is quite a plausible scenario.

But why give out the cd's as "exclusive" gifts but then bring out the same stuff on Lp's for all and sundry to get their hands on?????

mummy']I'm not a fan of any form of exclusivity. I'm happy to know that the vinyl is open to both the paying member and the non-paying member, and even the general public.

But why give out the cd's as "exclusive" gifts but then bring out the same stuff on Lp's for all and sundry to get their hands on?????

I've no idea bash.  I guess it strengthens my argument that paying to go on a website is total waste of money?  $50 would get me a few nice pints down my local! tongue.gif

[quote name='mummy wrote:

basher1 wrote:

mummy']I'm not a fan of any form of exclusivity. I'm happy to know that the vinyl is open to both the paying member and the non-paying member, and even the general public.

I've no idea bash.  I guess it strengthens my argument that paying to go on a website is total waste of money?  $50 would get me a few nice pints down my local! tongue.gif

A severe amount of pints......now yer talkin'.......

Meh, I'm just happy that I can add another unique U2 Vinyl to my collection.

This will go nicely with my Discotheques vinyl set that I picked up at a dj shop many years ago!

Would have been nice to have the MOFO mix on Artificial Horizon but oh well.

As for them selling this to the general public, who cares? The more the merrier, MUCH of this content is available through singles and b-sides anyways.

It's not about the content for me.  It's about it being originally offered and given to paid subscribers as exclusive content.  That goes on to it being worth something more. It means that we have something which is only being given to us as partons of U2.com  When it's offered to others which haven't paid to be on U2.com, then it loses a good portion of the magic I felt in being given the cd for being a paid member. It's like paying for a holiday package and some of the vouchers for tours, which were part of the package, aren't any good. Yes you paid and you should get something.  I just don't think it should be at paid U2.com members' expense. Yes I have the music. Yet  you said it yourself, the music's out there in any event.  That makes me think, well; I have the original issue.  It's out there but I've how it was originally produced and packaged.  Now it's being produced again in a different format and much "prettier" packaging.  Which is going to be worth more?  The original cd in a carboard sleeve or a three disc purple vinyl package? Our cds were promoted to us strongly as being something that only U2.com members would have.  Now  it seems as if you can buy it for less than we can, essentially, because we can't even use our 25% off coupons on this vinyl set.  The 25% off coupon was a part of what we paid for with being members.  It is used to promote U2.com as being part of what paid members are offered vs. what unpaid members are offered. That's another thing. 

More power to all fans.  I don't care whether you have paid or not.  However, I chose to pay and expect what I was told I would get for my buck or euro or any other currency. I'm not mentining (until now) that the email hardly ever works but most do get to my Yahoo account so I overlook it.  The email was part of the package too but I don't care.  However I do care about finally being able to use my coupon as I'm poor by default with health challenges.  I love the lithos but can't afford them. I've already got a bunch of U2 tshirts, etc.  I guess I'm willing to even overlook giving up the 'only you paid members have this' part of the deal although it still bugs me.  I should get my 25% off at the least. 

I'm not intending to single you out, discotheques1.  I'm just trying to explain to paid and unpaid members, both, why as a paid member, I'm a tad sore about the vinyl release.  I'm glad you're a fan, it'll make for louder roars at future concerts. If you weren't, we'd have less. 

The economies suck everwhere right now.  Money is hard earned for most.  We are all facing less money these days.  If the band needs money to keep up touring like they do, then I'll gladly somehow pay the full price and urge more packages with the same content to be sold.  I don't know for sure so my opinions above are presumed on the band having sufficient monies as seats for many are $250.00 this tour and were $180 last tour, etc.  After paying for membership and tix and what it costs to get to and from the show, the 25% makes a difference although if they are only being printed through May I can't afford one even with the 25% off.  If I had that discount, I MIGHT be able to squeeze here and there to get the vinyl package, although it would literally be food off my table right now.  That's not U2'd doing but it's my reality If I don't get the vinyl package, I feel I'm losing as an very enthusiastic and loving fan.   That's why I paid to be a member, to get that extra content. That's why I'm a bit sore.

Geez this got long and I still have stuff to do.  Just wanted to explain why I said what I did as others have spoken from what I originally said.  I'm not whining about being sick, that's my cross to carry.  I'm happy. I'm not whining about being poor.  I'm loved.  I love U2.  I just wish I could get the vinyl.  This tour's incredible and the vinyl is a great reminder of that.  (which tour isn't incredible, hey?) if you'ver read this far, thank you.  bye.

I had always thought vinyl records were desirable simply because (if of a coveted album), they are bits of history b/c they're in the original format of the era in which the record was released.  Now there's this fad of making new records in vinyl as collectibles.  Isn't that a bit like if a factory started producing Ford Model T's again for collectors?  I mean, sure they'd be worth something, and would be a collector's novelty, but it's not like an original model T.  It's a bit odd I think.  To each his own I guess, but I wonder if many folks are into this type of thing.

I had always thought vinyl records were desirable simply because (if of a coveted album), they are bits of history b/c they're in the original format of the era in which the record was released.  Now there's this fad of making new records in vinyl as collectibles.  Isn't that a bit like if a factory started producing Ford Model T's again for collectors?  I mean, sure they'd be worth something, and would be a collector's novelty, but it's not like an original model T.  It's a bit odd I think.  To each his own I guess, but I wonder if many folks are into this type of thing.
I love the analogy zooc... got me thinking! happy.gif

mummy wrote:

basher1 wrote:

I've no idea bash.  I guess it strengthens my argument that paying to go on a website is total waste of money?  $50 would get me a few nice pints down my local!
tongue.gif

Now bash, you know very well, that there is no point going down the pub unless you are going to go all out! wink.gif

vinyl is for DJ it seems (and i don't consider all the fans who are ready to ruin themselves for anything coming from the band [and i think we all had been a bit like that at one moment in our fan career] and all different kind of collector of course)

artificial horizon is re-mix album

so if there must be one album in vinyl support it must be this one

[quote name='mummy wrote:

basher1 wrote:

mummy wrote:

basher1 wrote:

I've no idea bash.  I guess it strengthens my argument that paying to go on a website is total waste of money?  $50 would get me a few nice pints down my local!
tongue.gif

Now bash, you know very well, that there is no point going down the pub unless you are going to go all out! wink.gif

well i ain't been all out for a long time but if yer offering........tongue.gif

I have no interest in Vinyl, though I would love to hear the Snow Patrol remix. But I have to pay another $30 to get it? Seriously? Doesn't the band have enough money already? They should be rewarding their big fans, not dangling extra tracks out there over our heads, trying to take even more of our money.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Artificial Horizon CD. But this greedy maneuver leaves me sour.

i love artificial horizon but never i need this vinyl edition

so why not keeping your useless comments , and leave it to those who really want it

there s no more actu/news from the band from quite a long time and make the guys very bored

they need to do something la

they need a new game or something ? where are the girls ??

great news this !!!

I play records, and do own many of the officially releases remixes .... made a mix with them too ...

its called crazylemon mix .... guaranteed to make you dance ! free to listen or download ....

http://soundcloud.com/toysfornoise/crazylemon-mix

cant wait to make a new mix with the artificial horizon releases .....

enjoy

mummy wrote:

basher1 wrote:

mummy wrote:

basher1 wrote:

tongue.gif

Now bash, you know very well, that there is no point going down the pub unless you are going to go all out!
wink.gif

well i ain't been all out for a long time but if yer offering........tongue.gif

Aint been for a long time?  I feel for you!  I'll be going to a fashion show tomorrow night.  I know yer thinking.. a fashion show!?  But 1, it's for charity, 2, there is always a boobslip, and 3, there will be free booze.  So come on down! roll.gif

Free shipping though!, thats worth the 25% discount... for me in the UK anyway.
agree 100%, bought it, $30 for shipping outside of EU is too much, buy one t-shirt, shippment is another one.

quite simply it stinks, the selling of the Exclusive Subscribers cd, now on vinyl to all and sundry should not have been authorized .

and for the length of time that fecking cd has been in the process of been compiled ,manufactured and Finally posted to Subscribers.

for the delays with the cd and the shameful redesign of the site and how badly it was handled Just before the Tour started,then the vinyl edition should have been sent free as an apology to Subscribers.