Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

basher1

Totally Disgraceful......

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

petermullen']as I said before...i've not got alot of experience with other corporate fan websites...but the other one I belonged too...which cost more...same exact arguments. Other fan run sites had more information quicker, etc...and they were free. They dangle the same carrots. It's really all about the presale codes Without that they couldn't charge a cent.

I think if you join a corportate website...that's what you get, a corporate website. Some people get more out of it than others. Honestly I think this is jsut another check in the mail for the band....and maybe a bit more for the management and promoters

and spicy....if those was paparazzi that took that picture, bono looks pretty happy to see them! No sean penn moments there!

and what about those years where u2 DONT tour and there are no presale codes. pre-sale codes should not justify if you should become a member or not, its just by chance that u2 are touring we get presale codes. what if u2 were never going to tour again.

I guess that's where they get the money to pay retainer salaries to their crew. Other major acts like Bruce Springsteen and Metallica do this. It prevents crew members, like Joe O' Herlihy going on tour with other bands. Basically supporting his family, and like 40 others, when they're not touring. My buddy, who's on Springsteen's crew gets about $6,000/mon when not touring...and he's high on the production ladder. Part of it is coming up with new ways/working with new technology for the next tour....where are those Audiolights that U2 was working on before?

[quote name='bflorendo wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

petermullen']as I said before...i've not got alot of experience with other corporate fan websites...but the other one I belonged too...which cost more...same exact arguments. Other fan run sites had more information quicker, etc...and they were free. They dangle the same carrots. It's really all about the presale codes Without that they couldn't charge a cent.

I think if you join a corportate website...that's what you get, a corporate website. Some people get more out of it than others. Honestly I think this is jsut another check in the mail for the band....and maybe a bit more for the management and promoters

and spicy....if those was paparazzi that took that picture, bono looks pretty happy to see them! No sean penn moments there!

and what about those years where u2 DONT tour and there are no presale codes. pre-sale codes should not justify if you should become a member or not, its just by chance that u2 are touring we get presale codes. what if u2 were never going to tour again.

I guess that's where they get the money to pay retainer salaries to their crew. Other major acts like Bruce Springsteen and Metallica do this. It prevents crew members, like Joe O' Herlihy going on tour with other bands. Basically supporting his family, and like 40 others, when they're not touring. My buddy, who's on Springsteen's crew gets about $6,000/mon when not touring...and he's high on the production ladder. Part of it is coming up with new ways/working with new technology for the next tour....where are those Audiolights that U2 was working on before?

I highly doubt Fanfire are paying for U2s production crews retainer.

And if that is where our fanclub money is going (which it's not) that only would serve to heighten the bullshit factor of this place.

And U2 don't have dibs on the Audio Spotlight, it's been around for ages now.

Here's the website if you're interested

http://www.holosonics.com/

And I've seen other material on lighting designers combining moving head lights with this speaker technology.

Would be cool to see/hear.

[quote name='petermullen wrote:

MacFoley']heya! yeah interesting points have been brought up!

maybe bash, it might be interesting to see what the mods can say on the issue. is there any way the mods can solve certain problems. sometimes its hard to speak to the right people, but i think when people say this site has nothing to do with the band, i think thats wrong. it is the site adam posted his videos. so some band member does like to give the fans something exciting to talk about, even it is a few seconds of home made vids. adam didnt post them anywhere else apart from here, or got someone to post them on here for him.

i supose on evidence of the band really caring about the fans is that they put £30 tickets for the tour. quite cheap if you ask me bash! but where were those seats? nosebleed jobs? i dont know. yeah he says thanks to us for given them a great life and its good to hear, but they are all multi-millionares now and simpy can live great lives without making another penny.

and no offence to anyone, but people say they like to come here and chat, well what is wrong with chatting with your real friends which doesnt cost anything in the first place?

the way i feel is i pay by sub, waiting for a gift, only to find the main news page lags, read threads about bono's hair, and once in a while see a vid, which normally is a load of bollocks.

wow....i certainly have taken alot of sh*t for the Bono's hair thread! Just to let you all know...my tongue was planted firmly in cheek. 

Regarding the subscription. I've only resubbed yearly...ever since I was screwed out of tickets for the vertigo tour after I let my propaganda membership lapse. I wouldn't resub more than once in a year no matter what they were giving away. I've also not paid more tha $35...so not sure about the $50 bit right now.

As far as is it worth it? To me it is because I got $55 GA tickets, and seats right behind the stage for $55 that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. I don't pay $250 for tickts. Nobody is worth that......

I love the zoo tour cd's, the go home t-shirt, and the slane cd's.

I've only joined one other fan club...Rolling stones .com for $100...and it was such an utter ripoff that this one seems like an absolute bargain.

AS far as the band being greedy...of course they are. But it's not just them..it's the whole corporate machine. There aren't many Kurt Cobains around...and that might be a good thing.......

And as far as Bono's pontificating. I think he means well..........but did he really think we wanted to see that Desmond TuTu clip???

peter, i never saw u2 before this past summer. In fact i hadnt heard of them until last year! I was told by the people I know who are big fans of live music, that the tickets are really hard to get. worse, i heard that  they sold out in minutes.

I was told to check out this website to see if i could get some pre sale codes, so i did, decided to join and got the codes.

Seeing a band like U2 and hearing about their legendary concerts, was gonna be the most exciting thing i had ever done in my life.

Terrified i would never get to see them at least once in my life, I sat in front of the computer for 6 hours before they went on sale.

I kept checking and rechecking to make sure i had the CST correct and that my presale code was correct and memorized.

when the time approached i started to log in early just to see how it all worked.

when i finally got in, my hands were shaking and my heart pounding...

when I got a single ticket, I had a migraine from all the stress...

when i got to chicago and after i passed through the turnstyle....I SCREAMED FOR ABSOLUTE TOTAL JOY!!!!!

LOL!  ((((Bash)))) ((((Mick)))) ((((Spicy)))) Thanks!  You guy are the reason I keep coming here; my friends and the U2 community.

The bottom line question is this; is this fan club worth the price of admission? Not really.  But we all still keep renewing anyway.  All the of issues listed here are nothing new.  For years now people have been asking for and complaining about these very same things, yet nothing really changes.  The price of admission continues to go up every year, though and we all still keep coming back. Why is that? I guess because we are U2 fans and this is the U2 fan club?  Just a guess. Despite the same complaints year after year, this is the first year that people are serious about it and haven't been renewing their memberships.  I wasn't going to renew mine, but in the end, I did anyhow.  Don't beat yourself up Spicy, I did the same thing. If you're a jerk for renewing than I am too.

If you consider the money made from all of the memberships to this fan club and this site at $40 to $50 a pop, you're talking quite a bit of money. What does all that money fund? I just can't see the cost of making a remix CD costing that much and presale codes don't cost anything to give and in turn more money is made when fans/members use those codes to buy concert tickets.  We buy the albums, the T-shirts, collector's items and other assorted memorabilia at the concerts and from the U2 shop.  Where is all that money being spent? Certainly not here or the running of this fan club or this site. I could be wrong but it doesn't seem so.

Back to the bottom line; what are we getting for the price of admission?
Thanks Kelly...I appreciate your post so much..I was feeling like I was some kinda chump or something, basically a fool for love...I love you bono! But still quite a lot people that make my life meaningful, I found them here on U2.com, so I guess people, I'm a fool for your love too!

as I said before...i've not got alot of experience with other corporate fan websites...but the other one I belonged too...which cost more...same exact arguments. Other fan run sites had more information quicker, etc...and they were free. They dangle the same carrots. It's really all about the presale codes Without that they couldn't charge a cent.

well peter, i bet hes used to being sprung at with cameras a lot over the decades...and so he could do nothing except smile...what else could he have done in a surprise camera attack? just smile and laugh at the insanity of life and enjoy the ride. caught by surprise, the true gentle man will be gracious like that..and just laugh it off...oh, well!

You know what. I was thinking some more about this thread last night. I really wish that I still had the same passion for music now as I did as an 18 year old. In my younger days I couldn't give a shit about money or responsibility. As an 18 year old I used to go to sleep every night with U2 pumping through my headphones. Some nights their music would move me so much I would bawl myself to sleep. I even gave myself a mullet hair cut because bloody Bono had one. I'd wear my Sun Studio Tee with a pair of Levi 501's because Larry looked so cool with it on. I'd head into town for the Midnight release of albums and listen to them until the day broke. I was there also at the Premiere of R&H. I believed no one on this planet loved this band more than me. If anyone took a shot at Bono or U2 I would be prepared to unleash hell on them. Every year that has passed since the JT I have looked back to what this band mean't to me as a teenager. Their spirit, faith and down right glorious music held me through my younger years. I will always love this band.

26 years have past since I was 18 and every year I get a little more cynical, a little less tolerant, less patiant. I worry about money, my kids, my parents, my health,etc. I use U2's music to inspire me and take me to another place where things are a little clearer. I find their music reminds me of where my moral compass is.

The reason I am writing this is because I wish I could see the world again as I did when I was an 18 year old. Unfortunately at times I now see the world is defined by money and power. It saddens me greatly to see examples of U2 thinking money first when they make decisions. They seem to have grown older and fallen into the trap of putting money above eveything else. I know deep down the lads aren't like this. They will always be true to themselves as they were when they began this journey. Time to take stock boys, reboot and find your moral compass again.

[quote name='xtraspicy62 wrote:

petermullen wrote:

MacFoley']heya! yeah interesting points have been brought up!

maybe bash, it might be interesting to see what the mods can say on the issue. is there any way the mods can solve certain problems. sometimes its hard to speak to the right people, but i think when people say this site has nothing to do with the band, i think thats wrong. it is the site adam posted his videos. so some band member does like to give the fans something exciting to talk about, even it is a few seconds of home made vids. adam didnt post them anywhere else apart from here, or got someone to post them on here for him.

i supose on evidence of the band really caring about the fans is that they put £30 tickets for the tour. quite cheap if you ask me bash! but where were those seats? nosebleed jobs? i dont know. yeah he says thanks to us for given them a great life and its good to hear, but they are all multi-millionares now and simpy can live great lives without making another penny.

and no offence to anyone, but people say they like to come here and chat, well what is wrong with chatting with your real friends which doesnt cost anything in the first place?

the way i feel is i pay by sub, waiting for a gift, only to find the main news page lags, read threads about bono's hair, and once in a while see a vid, which normally is a load of bollocks.

wow....i certainly have taken alot of sh*t for the Bono's hair thread! Just to let you all know...my tongue was planted firmly in cheek. 

Regarding the subscription. I've only resubbed yearly...ever since I was screwed out of tickets for the vertigo tour after I let my propaganda membership lapse. I wouldn't resub more than once in a year no matter what they were giving away. I've also not paid more tha $35...so not sure about the $50 bit right now.

As far as is it worth it? To me it is because I got $55 GA tickets, and seats right behind the stage for $55 that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. I don't pay $250 for tickts. Nobody is worth that......

I love the zoo tour cd's, the go home t-shirt, and the slane cd's.

I've only joined one other fan club...Rolling stones .com for $100...and it was such an utter ripoff that this one seems like an absolute bargain.

AS far as the band being greedy...of course they are. But it's not just them..it's the whole corporate machine. There aren't many Kurt Cobains around...and that might be a good thing.......

And as far as Bono's pontificating. I think he means well..........but did he really think we wanted to see that Desmond TuTu clip???

peter, i never saw u2 before this past summer. In fact i hadnt heard of them until last year! I was told by the people I know who are big fans of live music, that the tickets are really hard to get. worse, i heard that  they sold out in minutes.

I was told to check out this website to see if i could get some pre sale codes, so i did, decided to join and got the codes.

Seeing a band like U2 and hearing about their legendary concerts, was gonna be the most exciting thing i had ever done in my life.

Terrified i would never get to see them at least once in my life, I sat in front of the computer for 6 hours before they went on sale.

I kept checking and rechecking to make sure i had the CST correct and that my presale code was correct and memorized.

when the time approached i started to log in early just to see how it all worked.

when i finally got in, my hands were shaking and my heart pounding...

when I got a single ticket, I had a migraine from all the stress...

when i got to chicago and after i passed through the turnstyle....I SCREAMED FOR ABSOLUTE TOTAL JOY!!!!!

ohhhh...spicy! exactly my story!! (shaking hands, pounding heart, ready in front off pc hours in advance.eek.gif.eek.gif., checking and rechecking!! lol!!)

i got the hint from a colleague, who had tried toget tix for previous shows but didnt succeed... then came the vertigo-tour and she and a friend subscribed here and got the tix very easy with the presale-code!

and i didnt wanna take the risk to miss out on tix (as i'm not the 'hip-e-bay-cyberbabe' who knows her way around the internet to find stuff, but the sucker who would get ripped off probablysick.gif...) i feared that maybe it would be the last tour...my only chance to see them life( after watching the tour-dvd's for all those years, wishing i was standing there, in the cheering crowd....)

happy.gifso the presale was well worth the money, for me! but maybe not for guys like bash, mac, and others who would prob find tix anyway....

well peter, i bet hes used to being sprung at with cameras a lot over the decades...and so he could do nothing except smile...what else could he have done in a surprise camera attack? just smile and laugh at the insanity of life and enjoy the ride. caught by surprise, the true gentle man will be gracious like that..and just laugh it off...oh, well!

ur awesome, spicy......well worth the price of admission here......$.13 a day!

well looks like another wonderful fuck up by u2.com everyones getting emails saying 30 days to re-sub./.......ya gotta laugh......go on laugh i know ya want to.

from @u2.com (yes posted this before but just spreading it a bit)

Thanks to all who've emailed about this -- we got the same emails, too. U2.com/Fanfire is sending out emails telling members that their U2.com membership will expire in 30 days, even though everyone renewed within the last few months. Via Aaron of U2wanderer.org posting on Twitter, Fanfire is aware of the mistake. You can login to U2.com, click ACCOUNT INFO at the top of the page, and on your profile you should see a correct expiration date for your membership. It looks like expiration dates have changed for some users, possibly due to the fan club asking members not to renew too early late last year. There's a thread about all this in our forum if you'd like to join the discussion.

from @u2.com (yes posted this before but just spreading it a bit)

Thanks to all who've emailed about this -- we got the same emails, too. U2.com/Fanfire is sending out emails telling members that their U2.com membership will expire in 30 days, even though everyone renewed within the last few months. Via Aaron of U2wanderer.org posting on Twitter, Fanfire is aware of the mistake. You can login to U2.com, click ACCOUNT INFO at the top of the page, and on your profile you should see a correct expiration date for your membership. It looks like expiration dates have changed for some users, possibly due to the fan club asking members not to renew too early late last year. There's a thread about all this in our forum if you'd like to join the discussion.

ERM...not everyone renewed in the last few months........

they shouldn't rip the piss if they are getting thier own shit wrong......just saying like.

ceallach67']
LOL!  ((((Bash)))) ((((Mick)))) ((((Spicy)))) Thanks!  You guy are the reason I keep coming here; my friends and the U2 community.

The bottom line question is this; is this fan club worth the price of admission? Not really.  But we all still keep renewing anyway.  All the of issues listed here are nothing new.  For years now people have been asking for and complaining about these very same things, yet nothing really changes.  The price of admission continues to go up every year, though and we all still keep coming back. Why is that? I guess because we are U2 fans and this is the U2 fan club?  Just a guess. Despite the same complaints year after year, this is the first year that people are serious about it and haven't been renewing their memberships.  I wasn't going to renew mine, but in the end, I did anyhow.  Don't beat yourself up Spicy, I did the same thing. If you're a jerk for renewing than I am too.

If you consider the money made from all of the memberships to this fan club and this site at $40 to $50 a pop, you're talking quite a bit of money. What does all that money fund? I just can't see the cost of making a remix CD costing that much and presale codes don't cost anything to give and in turn more money is made when fans/members use those codes to buy concert tickets.  We buy the albums, the T-shirts, collector's items and other assorted memorabilia at the concerts and from the U2 shop.  Where is all that money being spent? Certainly not here or the running of this fan club or this site. I could be wrong but it doesn't seem so.

Back to the bottom line; what are we getting for the price of admission?

Thanks Kelly...I appreciate your post so much..I was feeling like I was some kinda chump or something, basically a fool for love...I love you bono! But still quite a lot people that make my life meaningful, I found them here on U2.com, so I guess people, I'm a fool for your love too!

I felt the same way when I renewed, Spicy. So... here we are.  I've always enjoyed the people and the friends I've made here within the U2.com community.  That's the main reason I've renewed every year.

well looks like another wonderful fuck up by u2.com everyones getting emails saying 30 days to re-sub./.......ya gotta laugh......go on laugh i know ya want to.

I'd laugh if it all weren't so sad.  The saddest part of it is atu2.com is on top of this issue,too before U2.com is. How sad is that? This is a U2.com problem and people are getting news about it from atu2.com.  What's wrong with that picture?

I'd laugh if it all weren't so sad.  The saddest part of it is atu2.com is on top of this issue,too before U2.com is. How sad is that? This is a U2.com problem and people are getting news about it from atu2.com.  What's wrong with that picture?

[quote name='ceallach67 wrote:

basher1']well looks like another wonderful fuck up by u2.com everyones getting emails saying 30 days to re-sub./.......ya gotta laugh......go on laugh i know ya want to.

Now lets see people defend..........

what a total joke this place has become Kell.....im like you i have loved meeting and chatting to most folk on here but enoughs enough i finish here on 29th may (unless i get booted out) and that'll be that for me....xxxx

[quote name='basher1 wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

basher1']well looks like another wonderful fuck up by u2.com everyones getting emails saying 30 days to re-sub./.......ya gotta laugh......go on laugh i know ya want to.

what a total joke this place has become Kell.....im like you i have loved meeting and chatting to most folk on here but enoughs enough i finish here on 29th may (unless i get booted out) and that'll be that for me....xxxx

Gonna be sad here without you, Bash. :(

You know,  each year in the past when these issues came up, I was on the other side of things. I defended this site and the band and all of that. I was always saying that I thought things would improve with the "new board" or the "new tour" and just flat out defended everything.  I honestly can't do it anymore and it saddens me.  *sigh*

[quote name='basher1 wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

Why do you finish on May 29th?  Is there something of significance on that date?

Kelly, I'm starting to migrate to the other sites too! I'm getting into the twitter as well, bc of claires help (thanks claire)!

where would we be without all of this mutual sharing and helping eachother? i think this is what true fanship is about!

Hey, is that a new word?

[quote name='mummy wrote:

basher1 wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

Why do you finish on May 29th?  Is there something of significance on that date?

it's the day my subs expire..........

basher1 wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

Gonna be sad here without you, Bash. :(

You know,  each year in the past when these issues came up, I was on the other side of things. I defended this site and the band and all of that. I was always saying that I thought things would improve with the "new board" or the "new tour" and just flat out defended everything.  I honestly can't do it anymore and it saddens me.  *sigh*it's ok Kell we'll run riot through FB instead.....lol

ceallach67 wrote:

Kelly, I'm starting to migrate to the other sites too! I'm getting into the twitter as well, bc of claires help (thanks claire)!

where would we be without all of this mutual sharing and helping eachother? i think this is what true fanship is about!

Hey, is that a new word?

everyone should have twitter add me clairet_u2

hehehe

ceallach67 wrote:

Hey, is that a new word?

LOL... it might be a new word.  I like it.  Someone call Webster's. :D

This is the only U2 site that have ever really come to.  I was admin at another U2 site a few years back. I've browsed through Interference and I've been too atu2.com, but mostly it was this site that I ever really visited and posted regularly. 

The only other place I'm at now is Facebook.