Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

basher1

Totally Disgraceful......

It is true, I do only come on here to chat to everyone (and I chat a lot, lol!!!) and have fun doing it. But $50 for that? When we can do the chatting for free anyway. Huge recession etc...that's a lot of money to pay.

U2 are my favourite group, always have been and always will be.

I am one of the ones who was blown away by the shows last year, i thought it was amazing. I know people don't agree with me, but we are all different with different ideas. I am counting down the dates to this summer to the next shows with great excitement.

But U2 need to see that for the big amount of money we are paying for this site we need to get value for money.

I agree with you Zhivvy enjoyed the shows it was good to finally see U2 live after many years of wanting to lol

I agree with you Zhivvy enjoyed the shows it was good to finally see U2 live after many years of wanting to lol

Just wish that they all didn't involved flights and hotels which bump up prices. Or having to plan detailed itineraries around Germany in a car on a so called family holiday to get to shows and get a child's birthday organised in the middle of it lol!!! 

lol yes spent nearly one grand seeing them in Vienna which i don't mind as going for 4 nights as my one and only holiday this year!

lol yes spent nearly one grand seeing them in Vienna which i don't mind as going for 4 nights as my one and only holiday this year!
and is going to be an amazing holiday!!! And the added bonus of a beautiful city.

Cost me nearly that for three red zone and hotel in Hannover!

And why have we had set prices for red zone in europe - all seem to be around 270 euro - so a lot of money, and yet the american dates still have red zone as auction. Seems odd to have two different ways of doing it

think that's a ticketmaster thing

anyway i'm off to bed laterz

and eat things out of a sheeps stomach you gotta be kidding me lol :P

Don't knock haggis.

Wow.

Basher, I think it is, I was commenting on more than just your post. Someone on here was talking about defending their interest in U2 and several complaining about the value of the site ...

I've been reading more posts as this thread develops. There must be a way or place for us to tell what we think is wrong or missing and to suggest what we'd like to improve upon it.

Didn't this thread start about a photo of Bono with some girls young enough to be his daughters? I find the judgments of that photo interesting because we don't know the circumstances surrounding it or how it was cropped. If there is a judgment to be made I think Ali Hewson gets to make it not me.

The thread kind of devolved from there into a whole bunch of stuff about the band and this site that I'm just now reading.

I'm relatively new here and having fun. I don't know how I'll feel in a year from now. Sorry you're not enjoying it.

How greedy can this band be?????.......

It's now $50 for a subscription that is unbelieveable i mean it's not as if you get value for money here nowadays the whiole pre-sale thing is a shambles you could get a ticket no problem on the tour......the gifts are a joke and the place is pretty much a graveyard nowadays.

so here i'd like to say to folk come on in here defend the undefendable if you can i know there will be A LOT of people out there you know the "u2 can do no wrong brigade" that will say "well the band have nothing to do with the site"

You are wrong this is u2's "official" website it is in thier name.

Totally disgusted with the way this band has become so greedy over the last few years.

If you don't believe me have a look in the shop.

Hey Ill be your U2 can do know wrong "IDIOT" that you guys are waiting for to reply LOL>

everyone is obviously entitled to their opinion, but 50.00 for a new membership and 40.00 for an exisiting fan re- sub. renewal is the average rate as far as I have seen for fan club memberships. My son made me subscribe him to Metallica's fan club which is 50.00 and Megadeath which is 59.00. For me, 40-50.00 is not too much for me, but I can see if someone is strapped for cash they would be mad at the price and then think they didn't get enough for the money. For me, i am not bothered by 40.00 to re-sub, because I need to make sure that I get my presale because otherwise it has been impossible for me to get GA tickets.  the shop is ridiculous, but its not part of the membership really.  i waited 2 months for my lithograph and it arrived in a tube that was too small for the litho and therefore a huge crack was in the litho. i called and first they told me no more in stock when i called the live nation phone # that came w/ the litho. then i called the other phone # listed on the u2 shop and was told they were in stock and they would send me a new one. I still havent gotten the new one yet. They are unorganized yea, and  it's a reflection of the official website which is a reflection of the band but to me has nothing to do with my membership.  But it takes a lot to piss me off so unless they told me i couldn;t return it at all then I would be pissed..

For the bonus member cd,. they have always given the cd as a bonus so people know what they get when they sign up,. No one is forced to do so. I think to send the vinyl via post to the entire fan club would be too expensive to do, so they have sent cd and offered the vinyl and since I collect u2 things I ordered one because I do have 30 bucks to spare fortunately. Yes, I had a few  bad experiences with the emails not being sent for presale alerts and stuff, and the presale code showing used when it wasnt.. but in the end it all worked out and i think my 40.00 was put to good use.

At some point, you need to stop worrying what others think. People can tell me Bono's a c*** all day long and I do not care, thats their opinion. So me and you disagree on things that doesn't mean that you should think im a total fool because i see your point of view and respect it but well - it's different for me. 

Wow.

Basher, I think it is, I was commenting on more than just your post. Someone on here was talking about defending their interest in U2 and several complaining about the value of the site ...

I've been reading more posts as this thread develops. There must be a way or place for us to tell what we think is wrong or missing and to suggest what we'd like to improve upon it.

Didn't this thread start about a photo of Bono with some girls young enough to be his daughters? I find the judgments of that photo interesting because we don't know the circumstances surrounding it or how it was cropped. If there is a judgment to be made I think Ali Hewson gets to make it not me.

The thread kind of devolved from there into a whole bunch of stuff about the band and this site that I'm just now reading.

I'm relatively new here and having fun. I don't know how I'll feel in a year from now. Sorry you're not enjoying it.

We all know what the paparazzi are like and any other crazed people desperate to get a picture with bono and anone else who is famous! Remember what they did to Lady Diana? Those girls put the picture up on face book, so they sound like opportunists to me.

bono is famous, and some poeple will do anything to get a picture with him...the photo was cropped to show only what was wanted to be shown, in order to convey a deceitful message...

I'm not going to judge someone like bono based upon one photo....to jump onto the smear bono bandwagon would require me to abandon all reason, logic, knowledge, critical thinking, and well earned life wisdom...

The shoe is on the other foot for me, bc I feel that when people want to rip a good man apart, it reveals something very dark about THAT person.

I avoid and am very wary of mean spitited and negative people who gossip about others...I see them as toxic people who will only bring me down and are way too quick to try and destroy someone...typically bc they are jealous and insecure little people!

Wow.

ahhhh yes, I recall that .....Bono did nothing wrong with those little skinny stick girls. If he was with Mtv video whores then I'd be concerned. Those girls just flauting on facebook that they met Bono and went too far. People went all out of control about it.... Since when is it a crime to take photos with a HOT rock star, hehehe. Anyway now it's understood why Bono's wife is so private and doesn't say much. I think she is a wonderful woman, and must be so confident!  I envy her for so many reasons not only being married to Bono.  If I  were in the same situation I would be going off on everyone when they said things about my husband, thats my italian temper.LOL.

Well, people will always have their opinions, opinions are like "as___" everybody has one.  I am a happy camper with regards to the money I spend on u2 related things, memberships, tickets and lithographs, etc. i do think the tank tops are a little expensive but the quality is good so I guess it works out in the end. :) smilesssssssssssss!

I admire ali as well. she is a strong and confident woman. shes not in the tabloids, because she is elegant and wise, strong, smart, secure and has no reason to bother with all of that bs...!

Wow.

No, the thread started with the simple question "have U2 become greedy?"

After a few pages of discussion about the complete lack of value of the club membership, multiple formats and expensive tickets,

we also discussed how Bono personally has damaged U2s image/ perception by hanging out with war criminals and preaching ad nauseum at the concerts.

I posted that photo to highlight the damage he has done to his image.

Even though I'm sure we said it over and over in here earlier, that picture gave many, many people who are dying to give Bono shit, some inredible fuel.

To those that are saying "it's innocent, you don't know the circumsatnces", well yes that is maybe entirely true.

They may be freinds, or fans etc.

And personally I don't mind at all if Bono has a breakfast of coke off the backside of some 18yr old call-girl -  as long as he does it in private.

That photo, as innocent as it most probably is, still makes Bono look like a seedy old pervert.

That is the point I was making.

And yes boys will be boys, and Kris I love you man, but you're not 49 and your not the world's biggest rockstar

As for "only Ali should make the judgement" ,

I call bullshit on that.

We have been fans for decades, and have every right to be disappointed with our hero when he poses for a photo which puts him in a stupid position.

It's like saying to Michael Jackson fans " don't judge him on being a kiddie fiddler, only God can do that"

Bollocks, Jacko was a perv and it destroyed his legacy no matter how good his music was.

But the photo still has nothing to do with the OPs staement.

I posted that photo for a laugh if you must know- hence the caption I put with it.

None of us are stupid enough to really be upset by Bon Bon getting a bit of bikini on his lap.

Quite the contrary. 

As for your ridiculous and cliched " why don't you cancel your subscription" nonsense

Well congrats. We were waiting for hours for you to turn up and spout that tripe.

You win the prize.

We subscribe, and have done for years, because we love U2 and want to be a part of the fan club.

Pretty simple yeah?

What we're asking is what is the $50 for, when you can chat here for free, they sell a better version of the fan gift to anyone for half the price, and you can get every single bit of news on U2 from @u2.com days if not weeks before you can get it here.

And you may be new and welcome, for for many we've subscibed for 5 or 6 years just to get old news, some music that as big fans we already own, and a forum.  Is it wrong that we would want a bit more for the price of admission?  Does that make as bad fans?

And to those that are blaming Fanfire, bollocks to that.

I'm pretty sure Basher, Mac and the rest didn't subscribe to Fanfire.com, or spends loads on tickets to see Fanfire in concert.

It's the official website of the biggest band in the world. Of course it's their responsibility.

And if you read any of the complainees posts here, you would have seen most of us praising how good NLOTH was, and got a feel for how passionate we are.

But the Bono is God brigade can't see through a bit of constructive criticism in here. Never could and never will.

Yes everybody changes, and the music changes. People change blah, blah.

We understand that

But that is not actually the point.

U2 used to give a shit about their fans.

That is the point.

Mick James.

One of the world's biggest U2 fans.

[quote name='mick james wrote:

scout6']Wow.

After a few pages of discussion about the complete lack of value of the club membership, multiple formats and expensive tickets.

We also discussed how Bono personally has damaged U2s image/ perception by hanging out with war criminals and preaching ad nauseum at the concerts.

Even though I'm sure we said it over and over in here earlier, that picture gave many, many people who are dying to give Bono shit, some inredible fuel.

To those that are saying "it's innocent, you don't know the circumsatnces", well yes that is maybe entirely true.

And personally I don't mind at all if Bono has a breakfast of coke off the backside of some 18yr old call-girl -  as long as he does it in private.

That photo, as innocent as it most probably is, still makes Bono look like a seedy old pervert.

And yes boys will be boys, and Kris I love you man, but you're not 49 and your not the world's biggest rockstar

I call bullshit on that.

We have been fans for decades, and have every right to be disappointed with our hero when he poses for a photo which puts him in a stupid position.

It's like saying to Michael Jackson fans " don't judge him on being a kiddie fiddler, only God can do that"

Bollocks, Jacko was a perv and it destroyed his legacy no matter how good his music was.

I posted that photo for a laugh if you must know.  None of us are stupid enough to really be upset by Bon Bon getting a bit of bikini on his lap. Quite the contrary. 

As for your ridiculous and cliched " why don't you cancel your subscription" nonsense

Well congrats. We were waiting for hours for you to turn up and spout that tripe.

You win the prize.

We subscribe, and have done for years, because we love U2 and want to be a part of the fan club.

Pretty simple yeah?

What we're asking is what is the $50 for, when you can chat here for free, they sell a better version of the fan gift to anyone for half the price, and you can get every single bit of news on U2 from @u2.com days if not weeks before you can get it here.

And you may be new and welcome, for for many we've subscibed for 5 or 6 years just to get old news, some music that as big fans we already own, and a forum.  Is it wrong that we would want a bit more for the price of admission?  Does that make as bad fans?

I'm pretty sure Basher, Mac and the rest didn't subscribe to Fanfire.com, or spends loads on tickets to see Fanfire in concert.

It's the official website of the biggest band in the world. Of course it's their responsibility.

And if you read any of the complainees posts here, you would have seen most of us praising how good NLOTH was, and got a feel for how passionate we are.

But the Bono is God brigade can't see through a bit of constructive criticism in here. Never could and never will.

We understand that

That is the point.

Mick James.

Don't you think sometimes the membership could be an advantage for buying tickets.  For example, a GA ticket on a reseller site like stub hub can be  up to 5 or 6x or more than the face value. In that case you would be saving money. In the past I have tried to buy GA tickets for a show after using my 4 tickets from the presale and wanted to see another show and  I didnt succeed. It is worth it if you  know the band would perform in your town and you wanted tickets > Obviously now that's not a give, cuz  now they do everything in a weird backwards  way, and announce the first night of the US tour leg  last and then it seems people get cheated in a way because they thought that u2 wouldnt be in their town and so they bought tickets to another show. that is very annoying. i dont remember it being like that in the past.  am i correct?

I admire ali as well. she is a strong and confident woman. shes not in the tabloids, because she is elegant and wise, strong, smart, secure and has no reason to bother with all of that bs

she's also a great mother. keepin her kids away from the spotlight. i think that says something about her. look at the other celebs how they flaunt their kids and its disgusting to me.

scout6']Wow.

After a few pages of discussion about the complete lack of value of the club membership, multiple formats and expensive tickets.

We also discussed how Bono personally has damaged U2s image/ perception by hanging out with war criminals and preaching ad nauseum at the concerts.

I call bullshit on that.

I posted that photo for a laugh if you must know.  None of us are stupid enough to really be upset by Bon Bon getting a bit of bikini on his lap. Quite the contrary. 

You win the prize.

Pretty simple yeah?

We understand that

That is the point.

Mick James.

I'm just thinking to myself..isn't everyone greedy in their own little  way? everyone wants what they want, when they want it....obviously, im talking about the average person  not the clergy who take vows of poverty. just people in general- average person to the celebs and the musicians. aren't we all a bit selfish in our daily lives? except for certain few of us, everyone is out to please #1 and their families.

scout6']Wow.

I call bullshit on that.

You win the prize.

Pretty simple yeah?

We understand that

That is the point.

Mick James.

not to go on about nonsensical things,

i was thinking one day,  the photos - i thought there was something very staged about them. 

[quote name='deannamarieu2 wrote:

mick james wrote:

scout6']Wow.

I call bullshit on that.

You win the prize.

Pretty simple yeah?

We understand that

That is the point.

Mick James.

Don't you think sometimes the membership could be an advantage for buying tickets.  For example, a GA ticket on a reseller site like stub hub can be  up to 5 or 6x or more than the face value. In that case you would be saving money. In the past I have tried to buy GA tickets for a show after using my 4 tickets from the presale and wanted to see another show and  I didnt succeed. It is worth it if you  know the band would perform in your town and you wanted tickets > Obviously now that's not a give, cuz  now they do everything in a weird backwards  way, and announce the first night of the US tour leg  last and then it seems people get cheated in a way because they thought that u2 wouldnt be in their town and so they bought tickets to another show. that is very annoying. i dont remember it being like that in the past.  am i correct?

Hi mate.

Considering they seem to be bypassing Australia, it kinda gives very little value to my 2 presale codes.

I got tix to the Giants Stadium shows at about 2 x face value from StubHub. Great seats and I didn't mind, because what's an extra $200 when I was flying to the opposite side of the planet to see my fav band?

Mate I hope you understand we're not just here bashing U2.  I assure you me, Basher, Mac and the others are some of the biggest, most forgiving fans there ever was.

But would you be happier too if they just paid someone to run this site like a proper fan club?

You know competions, exclusives -  you know a real reason to be in the club.

We can chat for free, and easily find pics of Bono with his shirt of (hi girls!) on google.

Is it wrong to want the best band to have the best fansite?

We're upset because it's not a new thing.  Many have spent a lot of cash subscribing for years, and the site has never been run properly at any point.

That's a bummer.

Cheers

I'm just thinking to myself..isn't everyone greedy in their own little  way? everyone wants what they want, when they want it....obviously, im talking about the average person  not the clergy who take vows of poverty. just people in general- average person to the celebs and the musicians. aren't we all a bit selfish in our daily lives? except for certain few of us, everyone is out to please #1 and their families.

If that's how you personally want to justify all this, fine.

I personally expect a bit more from U2.

I only use the General Forum and  All About U2 and they´re not playing in Ireland this year, so I´m not thinking of renewing, especially because many who were paying members like I used to be until 2 days ago, didn´t get tickets even though they had pre-sale codes last year.

The advertisement on this site is a bit too much on your (or my) face, for my taste, but the forum has improved. I no longer see bullies around and I hear Zootician is gone, which I´m not convinced, but at least if he´s around he´s not bothering me.

Finally, the shop is mostly targeted to Americans and I´m not American. The prices are in dollars. There are other currencies in the world and I dislike the fact that the International forum is always on the bottom of the page. It´s not very welcoming. There should be free forums for all the languages in the planet as U2 are an international band.

not to go on about nonsensical things,

i was thinking one day,  the photos - i thought there was something very staged about them. 

Like I said, it's not Bono having a couple of Bikini birds sitting on his lap that bothers us.

Jeez, have fun Bono! I'm sure he's had his share over the years.

The point we were making is that why does he set himself up so much for his detractors to shoot him down?

No it doesn't really matter to me at all if peeps think Bono's a c--t. Never has.

I just think, and surely you'd agree, it was way better when non-fans didn't really have an opinion on Bono.

Now ask any non-U2 fan in the world what they think about Bono, and they'll all tell you with great gusto

"C U Next Tuesday"

I just think thats sad.

I only use the General Forum and the All About U2 and they´re not playing in Ireland this year, so I´m not thinking of renewing, especially because many who were paying members like I used to be until 2 days ago, didn´t get tickets even though they had pre-sale codes last year.

The advertisement on this site is a bit too much on your (or my) face, for my taste, but the forum has improved. I no longer see bullies around and I hear Zootician is gone, which I´m not convinced, but at least if he´s around he´s not bothering me.
Hi mate,

the forum is certainly back on track.  I realy enjoy talking to folks in here.

But it's the people that make the forum.

So basically WE generate the content that's worth coming to this website for

U2 should be paying us $50 each to be subscribing to US!!!

In fact if anyone would like to subscribe to me, I'll do it for $45 bucks and I'll even give you a discount on your second year.

I'll also include a limited edition CD of some of my best remixes, and I'll set up a hotmail for you! Get your own genuine @mickjames email here folks!

I'll give you a presale code for cheap admission into my next gig, or house party

and I promise you'll get your CD on time!

Hi Mick

hows your wifey doing? Ok i hope....

anyways, it seems that if there were some possible compititions or prizes that would add into the fun, alright.. but i dont know do you, whether or not our money from the subscription here is used to pay the mods and administrators?

I do most of my work online, and i say, that nice paycheck i get sure makes my day!

to continue, Im all for some free stuff...i like to win tickets and such....yes, you'd think that the worlds biggest band would bother more about their website, but it seems that they've turned it over to others to run, and I'm wondering if they even know personally, Mick, how bad it is?