Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MacFoley

MICK JAMES the MASHER!

[quote name='Zhivvy wrote:

mick james wrote:

tracy c.']Was a lovely chat today with all of you...I am off to go home for my lunch/work out/GA training break....so wish I had these on my ipod for today to work out too!

Mick, I can't wait for the MUSE remixes....but no pressure :-).

Have a great day T, and love hearing from you as always!

It's nearly 3.30am here!

I'd best get into bed myself. Look forward to hearing from you soon

xx

You'll soon to be have to be getting up at that time!  tongue.gif

Cheryl, I think he is practicing :-)

[quote name='mick james wrote:

MacFoley']ah you cant beat a bit of wagon christ mate! amazing stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and have you heard the tuss? they are from cornwall too. again incredible electro.

I have The Tuss - I'm a HUUUGGGE Warp and Rephlex fan.  Autechre, Squarepusher, LFO, Richey and Luke etc etc.

Now mate I was under the impression the The Tuss was Richard D James in disguise as a brother and sister duo - have you heard that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_tuss

As for a colaboration with you Mac, yes!

I would bloody love to!

Some back and forth track sending from one side of the world to the other could be brilliant fun mate, and I think we may have very similar taste in electro - I make a lot of Warp/Rephlex inspired stuff too.

Bring it on dude!

ok mate! lets do it! ill upload some stuff tomorrow at some point!

i dont believe aphex is the tuss, could well be, but i dont think so. caustic window and polygon window have the aphex sound, where as the tuss i dont know!

would be awesome to get some of your sounds onto mine, i think it will be a rhythm orgy! (one of the names of my songs!)

ill upload some ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good morning fans of Mick's Mashups....I went and downloaded "Kids" and "Time to Pretend" to my ipod....I remember U2 played both of those songs before the their shows...only place I have ever heard them :-)....and I likey likey :-).

Any other suggestions?

Hi Mick,

I dont normally venture over this side of Zootopia, I'm more often on the Blog side.

Anyway, I am completley blown away by your remixes. I am not a fan of Electro / Dance music, (still havent listened to AH!)

But if it sounds half as good as yours I'll give it a go.

Brilliant stuff.

Mick, I think I am seeing some real business opportunity here......

[quote name=mick james]

Guess who loves this???!!  She thought it was brilliant!  And The Fly remix...well, u even impressed her with that one too and that is U2!!!! 

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

mick james wrote:

MacFoley']ah you cant beat a bit of wagon christ mate! amazing stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and have you heard the tuss? they are from cornwall too. again incredible electro.

I have The Tuss - I'm a HUUUGGGE Warp and Rephlex fan.  Autechre, Squarepusher, LFO, Richey and Luke etc etc.

Now mate I was under the impression the The Tuss was Richard D James in disguise as a brother and sister duo - have you heard that?

As for a colaboration with you Mac, yes!

I would bloody love to!

Some back and forth track sending from one side of the world to the other could be brilliant fun mate, and I think we may have very similar taste in electro - I make a lot of Warp/Rephlex inspired stuff too.

Bring it on dude!

ok mate! lets do it! ill upload some stuff tomorrow at some point!

i dont believe aphex is the tuss, could well be, but i dont think so. caustic window and polygon window have the aphex sound, where as the tuss i dont know!

would be awesome to get some of your sounds onto mine, i think it will be a rhythm orgy! (one of the names of my songs!)

ill upload some ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to it mate!

On the Tuss - all the tracks are published to Richard David James.  I'm pretty sure it's him.

I think he just wanted to release an anonomous album, with out all the pressure and preconceptions that have been applied to his name. That's the problem when you become such a legend. same thing happed to DJ Shadow.

That being said, there from your town mate, so if you say no, then you'd have a pretty good idea I'm sure!

Looking forward to hearing your stuff!

Hi Mick,

I dont normally venture over this side of Zootopia, I'm more often on the Blog side.

Anyway, I am completley blown away by your remixes. I am not a fan of Electro / Dance music, (still havent listened to AH!)

But if it sounds half as good as yours I'll give it a go.

Brilliant stuff.

Well cheers very much mate!

I just do it as a hobby, so for you to enjoy it makes it all worthwile!

And give AH a go. I think peeps are often put off by remixes. I just find it interesting to here how different people re-interpret tracks.

See you soon!

[quote name='tracy c. wrote:

mick james']

�� Guess who loves this???!!� She thought it was brilliant!� And The Fly remix...well, u even impressed her with that one too and that is U2!!!!�Awesome!!!!!!!

If Marianne thinks that old bloke from down -under is cool then I must be doing something right!!!!

Send my love to Marianne, T!!roll.gif

Mick, I think I am seeing some real business opportunity here......

That's the dream T!

I've played a few gigs recently of my own electronic music, but to be able to remix a big act would be amazing!

tracy c. wrote:

mick james']

�� Guess who loves this???!!� She thought it was brilliant!� And The Fly remix...well, u even impressed her with that one too and that is U2!!!!�
Awesome!!!!!!!

If Marianne thinks that old bloke from down -under is cool then I must be doing something right!!!!

Send my love to Marianne, T!!roll.gif

Old???? Who is old, Mick??? Not U!!  I am old!!!  And I will tell her...we went to your youtube today...and, cutie, I am posting your stuff on facebook...

tracy c.']Mick, I think I am seeing some real business opportunity here......

That's the dream T!

I've played a few gigs recently of my own electronic music, but to be able to remix a big act would be amazing!

Stop...what??? U have done a few of your own gigs??? First Japan, but u got the mojo going on in other places too?  (and Marianne just said u are cool!!)

mick james wrote:

tracy c.']Mick, I think I am seeing some real business opportunity here......

That's the dream T!

Stop...what??? U have done a few of your own gigs??? First Japan, but u got the mojo going on in other places too?  (and Marianne just said u are cool!!)

Heya T, I'm just running out the door, but yeah I've done some solo gigs!

Mostly weird electronic noise at some Art exhibitions but pretty good fun!

Here's an old invite thingy

http://crawl.net.au/index..._eventlist&Itemid=98

And the most recent one  (the last paragraph - they ham me up some what, but hey!)

http://kathfries.blogspot.../2009_07_01_archive.html

I'm off to work, we have Simple Minds tonight! Woot

See you later T!

Mick, will check out the links u posted here in a wee bit and comment...

I have to share this with you tho...yesterday I mentioned about me posting a couple of your remixes on my profile page in facebook...anyway...getting some very nice comments...I am cutting and pasting North "Bowman's" response for you and this one is regarding the MOS remix....

Quoting Bowman...

"I would trade my Artificial Horizon CD for that song in a second.

That happens if U2 think they know so called creatives and let them remix their stuff so we end up with "things" like Happiness Is A Warm Gun Remix.

Well....before trading I would rip the Crazy mix and the GOYB Justice mix (the Angels mix I already have on CD).

Now there is an idea....for next subs gift do a competition.

Fans do remixes of their songs....old or new.....fans vote and choose the best 12.... See More

These remixes would actually be new and not to get elsewhere on CD......I think this would be something unique and worth a resub.

But you know what.....ain't gonna happen." (end quote)

How was Simple Minds??????  Did Ellie go too?  Hope u had a blast :-)

Mick, will check out the links u posted here in a wee bit and comment...

I have to share this with you tho...yesterday I mentioned about me posting a couple of your remixes on my profile page in facebook...anyway...getting some very nice comments...I am cutting and pasting North "Bowman's" response for you and this one is regarding the MOS remix....

Quoting Bowman...

"I would trade my Artificial Horizon CD for that song in a second.

That happens if U2 think they know so called creatives and let them remix their stuff so we end up with "things" like Happiness Is A Warm Gun Remix.

Well....before trading I would rip the Crazy mix and the GOYB Justice mix (the Angels mix I already have on CD).

Now there is an idea....for next subs gift do a competition.

Fans do remixes of their songs....old or new.....fans vote and choose the best 12.... See More

These remixes would actually be new and not to get elsewhere on CD......I think this would be something unique and worth a resub.

But you know what.....ain't gonna happen."

Heya T! That's really cool. And remind Bowman (he probably can't remember) that I waved at you and him in NYC - I think his quote on the first night was " we'll get Until The End Of The World tomorrow!!"

He was right!! - send my regards!

Tracy my girl, please excuse my rants in here tonight if you read them.

This place is a bit upside down at the moment, and I'm an opinionated dude! Don't think any less of me!?!?

That being said, I mean it all. There's too much blind worship going on in here.  If the site is faulty it's not a reflection on Bono himself, but it's just the truth. That's why so many great peeps have gone from here.

But it's great to see you back!

As for North's idea - I'd be so into that, and I'm confident enough as a huge fan that I could do something pretty special for such a compilation!

To this day, I'm the only person in the world to remix Moment Of Surrender, and I'm proud of the fact!laugh.gif

Oh and Simple Minds were a blast. I saw soundcheck, said hello breifly to the band and stood side of stage for the whole show!

Ellie didn't go, as it was work and she's happy at this point to have a bath and go to bed! lol

I got a copy of the setlist which is pretty sweet.

1. Theme for Great Cities

2. Sanctify Yourself

3. Stars Will Lead The Way

4. Waterfront

5. Big Sleep

6. Hypnotised

7. Life in a Day

8. All The Things She Said

9. See The Lights

10. Moscow Underground

11. Real Life

12. Sons And Fascination

13. The American

14. In Trance as Mission

15. Someone Somewhere in Summertime

16. Somebody Up There

17. Once Upon a Time

18. One Step Closer

19. Don't You (Forget About Me)

20. Promised You A Miracle

21. Glittering Prize

22. New Gold Dream

23. Encore:

23. Neon Lights (Kraftwerk cover)

24. Rockets

25. Alive and Kicking

26. Encore 2:

26. Let There Be Love

27. Chelsea Girl

28. Ghostdancing

I didn't know a lot of the songs, I'll admit, but I was amused that they did a cover of Neon Lights which was almost identical to U2s cover of Neon Lights.

Anyway, they've definately still got "it". Great singing and playing, and the Sydney fans loved it!

Managed to have quite a few pints at the after show, and even scored a free cab home!

Good night in all :) :)

Mick, you opinionated???  Nothing wrong with that dear....

I talked to Bowman last night...I called him (I can call internationally from my cell phone for free to other landlines...not cell phones tho)....He is used to me calling now in the middle of the night (his time - lol, but he is a night owl).  Anyway, I was so excited to call and tell him that my hubby is going to let me go to Salt Lake to see U2....he first said "no" but now has agreed....so, it will be me, Bowman, and Jami Sharp...but my hubby is letting me go on one condition....both have to do Temple Square with me...Bowman said he would cuz it is part of Salt Lake's history of course...but he said he won't convert - LOL.  But it will be kinda fun showing off some of my church history :-).

Mick, I must go and read some of your posts tho...looking forward to it actually.....you have heard some of my rants and u still luv me too...so no worries....u were my first zootop friend...u can do no wrong (looks like I have drank the Mick "kool-aid" ;-)....

How was the show dear????  Did your beautiful lady go with you too?

Mick, you opinionated???  Nothing wrong with that dear....

I talked to Bowman last night...I called him (I can call internationally from my cell phone for free to other landlines...not cell phones tho)....He is used to me calling now in the middle of the night (his time - lol, but he is a night owl).  Anyway, I was so excited to call and tell him that my hubby is going to let me go to Salt Lake to see U2....he first said "no" but now has agreed....so, it will be me, Bowman, and Jami Sharp...but my hubby is letting me go on one condition....both have to do Temple Square with me...Bowman said he would cuz it is part of Salt Lake's history of course...but he said he won't convert - LOL.  But it will be kinda fun showing off some of my church history :-).

Mick, I must go and read some of your posts tho...looking forward to it actually.....you have heard some of my rants and u still luv me too...so no worries....u were my first zootop friend...u can do no wrong (looks like I have drank the Mick "kool-aid" ;-)....

Tracy, I'm a bit pickled, so in the interest of our friendship, please ignore my rants!!!!

Please?????

Ah you'll forgive me. I know it!

I may have gone over board, but hey, I just sank about 6 pints at the Simple Minds party and I'm full of fight!

*Just wiki-ing Temple Square so I can know where you mean........*

Of course Bowman remembers you.....y'all would really hit it off....he too I think has done a bit of remixing as well.

But, you, my buddy, are the King of Remixes...I have never heard any better work than your's. If U2 would take a peek every now and then in here to see what the fans are doing...they would notice your work...or better yet, if this site did a better job, they would pass your work on to the powers that be...really.

Okay, Simple Minds...cool u got the set list :-)....and I would go just to hear them sing "Don't You Forget About Me"...Brilliant song...and I only recognized one other song on the set list....but interesting about Neon Lights...

I checked out one of the invitations...need to look at the other one.....I saw your name!! Made me proud :-)

250px-Salt_Lake_Temple%2C_Utah_-_Sept_2004.jpg

WOW!!!!!

That's an impressive church T!

We don't have a very big Morman population in Oz.  Was it founded in the US?

It's mostly Catholic, Protestant etc here.

We also have a big Muslim population which is probably quite differant than the US.

But for the most part Australia is actually very secular. A lot of people would say they're "something" but not actually attend the respective church.

America seems to be very passionate about religion.

My Mum was of Irish descent (her Dad was from Corke), so we very much so, had a Catholic upbringing.

I'd never tell my Mum, but I'm more into the idea that Baptists, Catholics, Mormans, and then Muslims etc etc are all really striving for the same purpose. Live a good honest life and be good to each other yeah?

(((((Tracy))))))

tracy c.']Mick, you opinionated???  Nothing wrong with that dear....

Tracy, I'm a bit pickled, so in the interest of our friendship, please ignore my rants!!!!

Please?????

I may have gone over board, but hey, I just sank about 6 pints at the Simple Minds party and I'm full of fight!

Okay, now u really have me curious to read your posts...but if you don't want me too, maybe I shouldn't????  But I think curiousity will get the best of me in the end....

Temple Square...sorry....I shouldn't think that everyone knows everything....Temple Square consists of the history of my church (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints....Mormons)....We have the Salt Lake Temple built there (took 40 years to build back in the 1800's and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir)...anyway, it is quite beautiful to see.

6 pints eh....how do you type so good?  Have you seen my typing when I have had  a few...you should ask Bowman about some of my drunken texts!!!

Of course Bowman remembers you.....y'all would really hit it off....he too I think has done a bit of remixing as well.

But, you, my buddy, are the King of Remixes...I have never heard any better work than your's. If U2 would take a peek every now and then in here to see what the fans are doing...they would notice your work...or better yet, if this site did a better job, they would pass your work on to the powers that be...really.

Okay, Simple Minds...cool u got the set list :-)....and I would go just to hear them sing "Don't You Forget About Me"...Brilliant song...and I only recognized one other song on the set list....but interesting about Neon Lights...

I checked out one of the invitations...need to look at the other one.....I saw your name!! Made me proud :-)

Yeah I'll admit to not knowing much of the set, but it was a good honest rock show for a bunch of old fellas all the same! I don't know if the boys still had the same magic as U@ but it was fun. And getting to say hi to anyone like that is always something special and to remember! And you can't beat free beer, canap'es and a paid taxi ride home either!!

You and Marianne would have been amused by my gigs T!

I set up about 3 keyboards, 2 samplers, 2 drum machines and some effects and do about 2 or 3 hours of improvised electronic music.

I do a fair bit of pre-production, but the challenge of making an interesting soundscape to accompany several artists work ,while there's 200 people in the room drinking free red wine is pretty cool!

I was pretty happy at the last one, as I had many people come and ask what exactly I was doing and if they could buy a CD!

It's not really music in a song format as such - more of an ambient kinda thing like a film soundtrack.

Maybe like Brian Eno or Passengers if you will.

As for North's idea, what could be better than remixes by people who actually passionately love the band - rather than just paying someone to do it??

I would so do it for free just to have my name on something U2  related!

250px-Salt_Lake_Temple%2C_Utah_-_Sept_2004.jpg

WOW!!!!!

That's an impressive church T!

We don't have a very big Morman population in Oz.  Was it founded in the US?

It's mostly Catholic, Protestant etc here.

We also have a big Muslim population which is probably quite differant than the US.

But for the most part Australia is actually very secular. A lot of people would say they're "something" but not actually attend the respective church.

America seems to be very passionate about religion.

My Mum was of Irish descent (her Dad was from Corke), so we very much so, had a Catholic upbringing.

I'd never tell my Mum, but I'm more into the idea that Baptists, Catholics, Mormans, and then Muslims etc etc are all really striving for the same purpose. Live a good honest life and be good to each other yeah?

(((((Tracy))))))

So beautiful...and I have been there Mick....I studied you know before my mission in Provo, Utah and Brigham Young University.....the temple is a beautiful place. Very peaceful and inspiring. So a good Catholic upbringing :-)....Mormons are Christians, just for the record, not that you did not know that...but I always like to clarify as many say we are not but we are :-).  I was actually raised Baptist and converted when I was 20 years old. Then served a mission in Brazil when I was 22.  Mick, yes, I agree, people of different faiths, when their hearts are right, are all striving to be good ...hence, I love "CoExist"....I loved that part of the Vertigo tour.....Bono was inspired, imo, to share that message.

Marianne and I would be your biggest fans at your gigs...I would line up in the GA just like for U2...and would sure as hell make front rail for ya...!!!!! ;-)....We will be waiting for an autograph copy of your first cd...REALLY.

Okay, Mick the second link for the invitation...I don't see the "write-up" for you...in fact, I think it is the same link as the first invite....or am I looking at it wrong????

mick james wrote:

tracy c.']Mick, you opinionated???  Nothing wrong with that dear....

Please?????

Okay, now u really have me curious to read your posts...but if you don't want me too, maybe I shouldn't????  But I think curiousity will get the best of me in the end....

Temple Square...sorry....I shouldn't think that everyone knows everything....Temple Square consists of the history of my church (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints....Mormons)....We have the Salt Lake Temple built there (took 40 years to build back in the 1800's and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir)...anyway, it is quite beautiful to see.

6 pints eh....how do you type so good?  Have you seen my typing when I have had  a few...you should ask Bowman about some of my drunken texts!!!

Tracy my girl, you know I luv ya, so read if you must.

I'll just say, that it bug's me when people hold Bono up as a Christ like figure.

Yes he's agreat guy who does amazing stuff, but it just reminds me of the false idols commandment.

He's just a really good bloke.  When peeps start mentioning Bono in the same sentance as casting the first stone, blood-letting etc I find it a bit insulting.

He's a great giving man and a great singer, but too amny people see him as beyond human, when we know that he's a man like the rest of us, who has made mistakes etc.

When you're trying to point out why the website is flawed and you get told to cancel your membership and not cast stones or not judge lest ye be judged,  and you're a big Aussie bloke with a few litres of ale in him, it just makes me groan!

Anyway, I understand Salt Lake City is the main Mormon City yeah? Like the Vatican for our mob?

Have you ever been there before?

I imagine it's quite important to visit there at least once?

I really loved visiting St Patricks Church in NY.

My Mum named me after St Michael and St Patrick (Michael Patrick James), and I must say when I walked in there for Mass I broke down into a bubbling mess. 

But I really felt my Mum there with me. Weird but special