Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bajagirl

***PASADENA DVD U2 360 @ Rosebowl OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT U P D A T E D***

[quote name='mummy wrote:

Claire T wrote:

mummy wrote:

Claire T']hmmmm if i get one think i'll get it from play.com anyways

I always compare cdwow with play because sometimes you'll find that where one is cheap, the other will be cheaper in a different item

yes but there's already 51% off Blue-ray and 2 disk  and free P&P in the UK that's if i decied to get it gonna wait untill other people have got it lol i'm in NO rush to buy this DVD one bit unless a few things change

how do they give a reduction like that on something that has not even been released?  weird. ohwell.gif

They are supposed to be  based in Jersery  so can get it with VAT (value added tax which the UK government put on stuff for them who don't know) off  (which is 17.5%). Not sure how they can get it that low but probbaly had money off just like Amazon to start with!

The UK government hate these sort of online shops though as they get nothing from them roll.gif

or at least i think that's how it works!

sure somene will put me right if wrong!

Also free P&P to the UK not bad one bit

badgirl56 wrote:

mummy wrote:

Claire T wrote:

Ragoo wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

Ragoo wrote:

Kristaps wrote:

monica martino']The problem in ordering US version is that you are not sure of the zone for the DVD: will it be zone O or not? otherwise it won't work on this side of the world, dunno in the rest of Europe but not in Italy

I'll pre-order next week, when I have money on my credit card.

According to Amazon it's Region 0 so it'll play anywhere in the world.

i think you find AMAZON.COM u2 dvd's are region 1. the dvd sold on u2.com from the shop will be region 1.

and here is the THING. on amazon.com look at the original price of the single dvd (from the US)....................

$20 odd before they cut they price.

so if we import the SUPER deluxe dvd (which wont play on a dvd player unless its multi regional right) today we can get it for $40 (depending if they will post to the UK dont forget for this item)

so why are the UK paying so much still for the same item?

The UK link says that it's all regions, not sure how this whole PAL vs NTCS (or whatvere it's called) works. And I wouldn't trust Fanfire at all.

I just don't get the price difference. I've no problem paying the whatever 100 something pounds for the Deluxe version however I wanna make sure I'm not being screwed over. 40 USD vs 120GBP? Yeah, we have a problem.

but not everyone can afford over £100 for just a dvd and some stuff. Also i got the Boxset CD version of NLOTH which came with a book and dvd of  Linear, poster and digi pack of cd and it didn't cost me anywhere near £100! (can't remember the price think it was near £50 which i don't mind paying for anything lol also got free p&p using super saver on Amazon)

Also don't tell me this is diffrent as it's a DVD do yourself a favour look at the prices of boxsets on Amazon! The Friends 15th Aniversery seasons 1 to 10 DVD Box set  was only £99:99 to start with

so yes no DVD not even U2's is worth £150

(BTW not having ago at anyone mearly proving a point! lol on and PAL  and NTC think it's something to do with how the picturer lines are on the tv or something stupid like that lol)

I went to wikipedia, read this and I am now totally confused as to what the difference is in PAL and NTSC.  Maybe someone with a brain can decode what is written here and explain it to numbskulls like me:

[
]
PAL vs. NTSC

receivers have a
to perform colour correction manually. If this is not adjusted correctly, the colours may be faulty. The PAL standard automatically removes
errors by utilising phase alternation of the colour signal (see technical details), so a tint control is unnecessary. Chrominance phase errors in the PAL system are cancelled out using a 1H
resulting in lower saturation, which is much less noticeable to the eye than NTSC hue errors.

However, the alternation of colour information —
— can lead to picture grain on pictures with extreme phase errors even in PAL systems, if decoder circuits are misaligned or use the simplified decoders of early designs (typically to overcome royalty restrictions). In most cases such extreme phase shifts do not occur. This effect will usually be observed when the transmission path is poor, typically in built up areas or where the terrain is unfavourable. The effect is more noticeable on UHF than VHF signals as VHF signals tend to be more robust.

In the early 1970s some Japanese set manufacturers developed decoding systems to avoid paying royalties to
. The Telefunken licence covered any decoding method that relied on the alternating subcarrier phase to reduce phase errors. This included very basic PAL decoders that relied on the human eye to average out the odd/even line phase errors. One solution was to use a 1H
to allow decoding of only the odd or even lines. For example the chrominance on odd lines would be switched directly through to the decoder and also be stored in the delay line. Then on even lines the stored odd line would be decoded again. This method effectively converted PAL to NTSC. Such systems suffered hue errors and other problems inherent in NTSC and required the addition of a manual
control.
PAL and NTSC have slightly divergent
, but the colour decoder differences here are ignored.

PAL supports SMPTE 498.3 while NTSC is compliant with EBU Recommendation 14.

The issue of frame rates and colour subcarriers is ignored in this technical explanation. These technical details play no direct role (except as subsystems and physical parameters) to the decoding of the signal.

eek.gifeek.gif
Never understood a word of that!
laugh.gif

LOL mary, you read it all.  My mind shut down after the first sentence! roll.gif

Here's the really easy version.

PAL is the system used in the UK, Ireland, Europe, Australia and New Zealand.  It has more colour than NTSC, but the frame rate (ie picture) is slower

NTSC is the System used in USA, Japan, South America  It is a faster picture than PAL, but the colours not quite as nice.

It used to matter and cause compatabilty issues on older TVs and VHS players.

For most newer TVs, and pretty much all Plasma screens and LCD TVs they have an auto setting that will detect PAL or NTSC and adjust automatically.

So pretty much the only thing that will stop you being able to watch an imported copy of the DVD is if the region of your DVD player is different to the one on the DVD, or if you have a pretty old telly.

If you look on the net, you can generally find a code for removing the region setting on your DVD player.

[quote name='Claire T wrote:

Panth']I've decided that I'm not dissapointed, nor do I care. It's just one song, and the pricing? Well they have a cheaper version as well. So price isn't a complaint either. From the trailer it looks really good, and I have a bluray, so I'll get bluray. I don't need all the extra things that aren't video music related anyways.

'sides, I already have a NO Line boxset. I don't need a 360 boxset.

There, decision made, no need for fan emo dramatics and whining.

true but what about the people who haven't seen the concert and wanna see the whole one. Personally if you gonna class something as a concert at least put the whole thing out!

Just my opinion!

You do know that of all the live shows U2 have released, only two have all songs included - PopMart and Red Rocks remaster, right?

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

Claire T wrote:

mummy wrote:

I always compare cdwow with play because sometimes you'll find that where one is cheap, the other will be cheaper in a different item

yes but there's already 51% off Blue-ray and 2 disk  and free P&P in the UK that's if i decied to get it gonna wait untill other people have got it lol i'm in NO rush to buy this DVD one bit unless a few things change

i am in no rush to purchase it too. it can wait, there are more important things to be spending my money. ill just pre-order the deluxe 2 dvd set and get the big box for xmas!laugh.gif

Hm.... that's a good idea! Thanks for the advice!

Play.com hands down. You get a really good price and fast delivery. Great customer service if anything goes wrong.

well thanks for some usefull info the $40 boxset has been pulled from the shop. looks like u2.com might have got the price wrong???

Did we ever doubt it? Like we said, seemed like too much for too little. Now let's see if they honor peoples pre orders.

[quote name='agt wrote:

MacFoley']well thanks for some usefull info the $40 boxset has been pulled from the shop. looks like u2.com might have got the price wrong???

Did we ever doubt it? Like we said, seemed like too much for too little. Now let's see if they honor peoples pre orders.Hope they do! And they should tell us quickly about what will happen - worrying that they have the card details - are they just going to charge us the full amount on that!

If I don't hear anything I may give them a ring and find out.

Could u all please be so kind to shorten your posts, when u qoute somebody?

It is really annoying that I have to scroll down three or four former quotes, just to read

one new sentence at the end of the post. There are unwritten laws in a message board like

that and one of them is not to have metres-long quotes for just one short reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is really annoying that I have to scroll down three or four former quotes, just to read

one new sentence at the end of the post. There are unwritten laws in a message board like

that and one of them is not to have metres-long quotes for just one short reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very true, all this quotes with the PAL and so makes a thread unnecassary long

You do know that of all the live shows U2 have released, only two have all songs included - PopMart and Red Rocks remaster, right?

When was the last time they dropped the intro song though? ;)

[quote name='Ragoo wrote:

Kristaps']

When was the last time they dropped the intro song though? ;)

This would be the 1st one.

Anyway, I'll miss Space Oditty / Kingdom just as much as I'll miss Breathe.

[quote name='Kristaps wrote:

Claire T wrote:

Panth']I've decided that I'm not dissapointed, nor do I care. It's just one song, and the pricing? Well they have a cheaper version as well. So price isn't a complaint either. From the trailer it looks really good, and I have a bluray, so I'll get bluray. I don't need all the extra things that aren't video music related anyways.

'sides, I already have a NO Line boxset. I don't need a 360 boxset.

There, decision made, no need for fan emo dramatics and whining.

true but what about the people who haven't seen the concert and wanna see the whole one. Personally if you gonna class something as a concert at least put the whole thing out!

Just my opinion!

kris your wrong there mate. red rocks dvd has i fall down missing from the set.

[quote name='mick james wrote:

mummy wrote:

badgirl56 wrote:

mummy wrote:

Claire T wrote:

Ragoo wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

Ragoo wrote:

Kristaps wrote:

monica martino']The problem in ordering US version is that you are not sure of the zone for the DVD: will it be zone O or not? otherwise it won't work on this side of the world, dunno in the rest of Europe but not in Italy

i think you find AMAZON.COM u2 dvd's are region 1. the dvd sold on u2.com from the shop will be region 1.

and here is the THING. on amazon.com look at the original price of the single dvd (from the US)....................

so if we import the SUPER deluxe dvd (which wont play on a dvd player unless its multi regional right) today we can get it for $40 (depending if they will post to the UK dont forget for this item)

The UK link says that it's all regions, not sure how this whole PAL vs NTCS (or whatvere it's called) works. And I wouldn't trust Fanfire at all.

I just don't get the price difference. I've no problem paying the whatever 100 something pounds for the Deluxe version however I wanna make sure I'm not being screwed over. 40 USD vs 120GBP? Yeah, we have a problem.

but not everyone can afford over £100 for just a dvd and some stuff. Also i got the Boxset CD version of NLOTH which came with a book and dvd of  Linear, poster and digi pack of cd and it didn't cost me anywhere near £100! (can't remember the price think it was near £50 which i don't mind paying for anything lol also got free p&p using super saver on Amazon)

Also don't tell me this is diffrent as it's a DVD do yourself a favour look at the prices of boxsets on Amazon! The Friends 15th Aniversery seasons 1 to 10 DVD Box set  was only £99:99 to start with

(BTW not having ago at anyone mearly proving a point! lol on and PAL  and NTC think it's something to do with how the picturer lines are on the tv or something stupid like that lol)

I went to wikipedia, read this and I am now totally confused as to what the difference is in PAL and NTSC.  Maybe someone with a brain can decode what is written here and explain it to numbskulls like me:

[
]
PAL vs. NTSC

receivers have a
to perform colour correction manually. If this is not adjusted correctly, the colours may be faulty. The PAL standard automatically removes
errors by utilising phase alternation of the colour signal (see technical details), so a tint control is unnecessary. Chrominance phase errors in the PAL system are cancelled out using a 1H
resulting in lower saturation, which is much less noticeable to the eye than NTSC hue errors.

— can lead to picture grain on pictures with extreme phase errors even in PAL systems, if decoder circuits are misaligned or use the simplified decoders of early designs (typically to overcome royalty restrictions). In most cases such extreme phase shifts do not occur. This effect will usually be observed when the transmission path is poor, typically in built up areas or where the terrain is unfavourable. The effect is more noticeable on UHF than VHF signals as VHF signals tend to be more robust.

In the early 1970s some Japanese set manufacturers developed decoding systems to avoid paying royalties to
. The Telefunken licence covered any decoding method that relied on the alternating subcarrier phase to reduce phase errors. This included very basic PAL decoders that relied on the human eye to average out the odd/even line phase errors. One solution was to use a 1H
to allow decoding of only the odd or even lines. For example the chrominance on odd lines would be switched directly through to the decoder and also be stored in the delay line. Then on even lines the stored odd line would be decoded again. This method effectively converted PAL to NTSC. Such systems suffered hue errors and other problems inherent in NTSC and required the addition of a manual
control.

The issue of frame rates and colour subcarriers is ignored in this technical explanation. These technical details play no direct role (except as subsystems and physical parameters) to the decoding of the signal.

eek.gifeek.gif
laugh.gif

LOL mary, you read it all.  My mind shut down after the first sentence!
roll.gif

PAL is the system used in the UK, Ireland, Europe, Australia and New Zealand.  It has more colour than NTSC, but the frame rate (ie picture) is slower

NTSC is the System used in USA, Japan, South America  It is a faster picture than PAL, but the colours not quite as nice.

For most newer TVs, and pretty much all Plasma screens and LCD TVs they have an auto setting that will detect PAL or NTSC and adjust automatically.

So pretty much the only thing that will stop you being able to watch an imported copy of the DVD is if the region of your DVD player is different to the one on the DVD, or if you have a pretty old telly.

If you look on the net, you can generally find a code for removing the region setting on your DVD player.

yeah PAL!roll.gif

looks like u2.com shop had it wrong! so how long do you think it will be before they contact us ones who have already pre-ordered it and offer us our money back?

looks like u2.com shop had it wrong! so how long do you think it will be before they contact us ones who have already pre-ordered it and offer us our money back?

have they charged your card zhiv?!?!

Zhivvy']looks like u2.com shop had it wrong! so how long do you think it will be before they contact us ones who have already pre-ordered it and offer us our money back?

have they charged your card zhiv?!?!

Looks like it - i just checked online statement and there is a pending transaction for just over £31 to be but on the card in a couple of days, but couldn't check what it was for. But i don't use my card often so i am guessing it is that.

mummy wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

Claire T wrote:

mummy wrote:

i am in no rush to purchase it too. it can wait, there are more important things to be spending my money. ill just pre-order the deluxe 2 dvd set and get the big box for xmas!
laugh.gif

you not going to get the single cd for your birthday and the blue ray for the anniversary of the date you became a u2 fan!?
tongue.gif

hey..............

my birthday is in june!

and i became a fan after live aid in july 85!

niceone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the internet is brilliant.  I just googled macfoley and it gave me all your personal details.  It also says here that you stalked bono from 1989 up to 1993... and then you were imprisoned for 2 years, went to stalkers anonymous for 5 years upon your release and now work as a waitress in a hotel bar. roll.gif

[quote name='mick james wrote:

mummy wrote:

badgirl56 wrote:

mummy wrote:

Claire T wrote:

Ragoo wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

Ragoo wrote:

Kristaps wrote:

[
]
PAL vs. NTSC

receivers have a

control.

eek.gifeek.gif
laugh.gif

LOL mary, you read it all.  My mind shut down after the first sentence!
roll.gif

Now mick that makes it so easy for us non-tech folk!  Thanks :happy.gif

Oddly enough, the only ones annoyed by it are those who rarely post. It may bother others who post more frequently but sure, no point getting annoyed by it. Just grin and bear it. Before you know it, you'll be posting and quoting like a mad thing and such trivial things won't annoy you.

But, if you do feel so strongly about it, contact one of the moderators and they'll pin a silly rule to the top telling us how we should quote people roll.gif

i like the idea of a replica tour program, set list, how about repro song lyrics book and tour laminates

Sorry to go back to this, but there is a science to the Breathe opener - and the band obviously liked it or else they wouldn't have done it at EVERY show (minus Foxboro 2, of course). The Space Oddity intro builds up the momentum and the frenzy in the crowd. The Kingdom of Your Love gets the ears perked up with that familiar voice singing in an ethereal tone. And then Larry... stepping out alone under the spotlights. Wham! - the rest of U2 arrives and the crowd goes nuts... Breathe!

There's a science to all of that and it's inexcusable to try and change history and make believe the Rose Bowl show opened with Boots. Just like there was a science to Streets; to Zoo Station; to Mofo; to Elevation; and to City. All amazing openers. Who cares if Bono flubbed the opening lyrics to Breathe. He's human.

danielgerke']

Oddly enough, the only ones annoyed by it are those who rarely post. It may bother others who post more frequently but sure, no point getting annoyed by it. Just grin and bear it. Before you know it, you'll be posting and quoting like a mad thing and such trivial things won't annoy you.

But, if you do feel so strongly about it, contact one of the moderators and they'll pin a silly rule to the top telling us how we should quote people roll.gif

R

E

S

P

E

C

T

T

H

E

Z

O

O

T

O

P

S

W

I

S

H

!

!

!

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

[quote name='roll.gifMacFoley wrote:

mummy wrote:

danielgerke']

But, if you do feel so strongly about it, contact one of the moderators and they'll pin a silly rule to the top telling us how we should quote people
roll.gif

R

E

S

P

E

C

T

T

H

E

Z