Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bajagirl

***PASADENA DVD U2 360 @ Rosebowl OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT U P D A T E D***

[quote name='mick james wrote:

Manohlive']I've read where many people are upset with the band these days and this new dvd thing excluding Breathe does not help any. I read a lot of complaints about the price of the dvd. I just looked and the 2 dvd set is $21.95, less my 25% paid subscriber discount brings the price to around $16.50 for a double concert dvd and extras. I don't think that is an outrageous price. Most currently released double dvd

with the extras are more expensive. If you don't qualify for the discount, I still don't think that the original price of $21.95 is out of line. It'll probably be more in the stores when it hits them. If you go and buy it at one of those ridiculous music stores in any mall in America, you will definitely pay much more.

As for the super duper deluxe version, I think those are put together for people who have enough money to not only buy it, but follow them across continents. Why can't I be one of those? j/k I am interested to see what is in that version to make it so expensive but I can't find the contents. Maybe I missed them somewhere.

I was really critical of the purple vinyl package. I will not reiterate my issues with that but I saw they are offering it in the U2.com store so I presume one would get his or her 25% discount on that so at least we paid subscribers got thrown a bone and I mean that without sarcasm. Although I still don't like the concept. Once I see them in July none of this is gonna matter anyway! I'm super excited for the next leg.

Hi mate!  I haven't tried myself yet, but as far as I can tell based on the experience of others, you cannot use the 25% subscriber discount on the Artificial Horizon Vinyl or the new DVD.

Just out of interest did you just calculate the discount on the DVD or did you pre-order and get the discount?

They may have changed it so the discount can be used, which would be nice.

Cheers

I think for the vinyl you can't use your 25% but subcribers are meant to sign in, then go to the shop and it will give you a $5 discount. Haven't done it myself yet though. There was an email about it.

[quote name='chrism7 wrote:

mick james wrote:

Manohlive']I've read where many people are upset with the band these days and this new dvd thing excluding Breathe does not help any. I read a lot of complaints about the price of the dvd. I just looked and the 2 dvd set is $21.95, less my 25% paid subscriber discount brings the price to around $16.50 for a double concert dvd and extras. I don't think that is an outrageous price. Most currently released double dvd

with the extras are more expensive. If you don't qualify for the discount, I still don't think that the original price of $21.95 is out of line. It'll probably be more in the stores when it hits them. If you go and buy it at one of those ridiculous music stores in any mall in America, you will definitely pay much more.

As for the super duper deluxe version, I think those are put together for people who have enough money to not only buy it, but follow them across continents. Why can't I be one of those? j/k I am interested to see what is in that version to make it so expensive but I can't find the contents. Maybe I missed them somewhere.

I was really critical of the purple vinyl package. I will not reiterate my issues with that but I saw they are offering it in the U2.com store so I presume one would get his or her 25% discount on that so at least we paid subscribers got thrown a bone and I mean that without sarcasm. Although I still don't like the concept. Once I see them in July none of this is gonna matter anyway! I'm super excited for the next leg.

Hi mate!  I haven't tried myself yet, but as far as I can tell based on the experience of others, you cannot use the 25% subscriber discount on the Artificial Horizon Vinyl or the new DVD.

Just out of interest did you just calculate the discount on the DVD or did you pre-order and get the discount?

Cheers

I think for the vinyl you can't use your 25% but subcribers are meant to sign in, then go to the shop and it will give you a $5 discount. Haven't done it myself yet though. There was an email about it.

I tried to use the 25% Discount on both Vinyl & the DVD's, It does not work for either. There seems to be an exclusion on any sort of media.

[quote name='agt wrote:

chrism7 wrote:

mick james wrote:

Cheers

I tried to use the 25% Discount on both Vinyl & the DVD's, It does not work for either. There seems to be an exclusion on any sort of media.While we can't use the coupon code on the vinyl, I'm delighted that shipping was for free. Instead of the usual $21+ they charge....

My estimate of disc 2 is 30 to 40 minutes depending upon how long the little documentaries are. So, please add the u2 songs (not covers) played elsewhere on 360 like Drowning Man or ???? !!!!!

thought i would just post my disgust at the £108 price for a deluxe dvd that is a feckin scandal. Some one was getting slagged off earlier because they dared to suggest an idea of a boycott even though it was only there 1st post. What the feck has that got to do with anything? I` ve been amember since the Propaganda days and just because i dont post does not mean i don`t have strong views on U2. For the first time i very nearly did not renew my membership this year because of the way the U2 corporation is trying to bleed the fans dry and this dvd price proves my point more than ever. The exclusion of "Breathe" defies belief but to then use it as an "add on" takes the biscuit. Sure i will probably get some smart alec answers like "if you don`t like it dont buy it" etc but if you have read U2 by U2 as most people on hear have then you will remember the days when the band drove from concert to concert in an old decrepit van to build up a fan base in usa and also slept in it as well. Now we have to pay an ever increasing annual subscription just to give us first crack at extortionate tickets and we get "exclusive" video clips that last roughly 15 seconds of Adam picking his nose or Edge cutting his toenails. Long gone are the days when we will get a quality "b side" song such as "Walk To The Water" or "Heartbreak Hotel" instead we get crap remixes of already released songs. Every new song is a prisoner, and we get unreleased stuff like "Disappearing Act" to promote digitally remastered albums like "Unforgettable Fire" .No way am i saying U2 are alone in this but in the advent of illegal downloading their management company seem to be trying to fast track their way to the money they think they have lost over the last few years. If the band are in control of a lot of things, as they claim, then they must surely be aware of the £108 price of this de-luxe dvd version and if they are and have given this the go-ahead along with the exclusion of "Breathe" then they have finally lost touch with the majority of their fan base and also with the real reason they started to play together--to let ordinary people enjoy their music. Let the torrent of abuse begin.
Some great valid points padrepio.  Thanks for sharing.  I agree with all your points.  happy.gif

Hey Padre Pio-I like what you had to say.  I think you speak for a lot of people; not all of course, but a lot!  At this point, however, I doubt a boycott would do much.  They are already rolling in dough as it is!  We'll see if all this ranting changes anybody's mind up where the powers that be make the decisions.  Only time will tell.  A terrible version of "Breathe" would be better than no version.  Shoot, they could cut one in from another concert and that would be fine with me!  (love your name, by the way!)
H

Cheers

Hey Mick,

It was really late and I was quite tired so I did not preorder it then, nor have I today.  Thus, I do not know if the discount goes through or not.  If it doesn't...that sucks.  Now I'm pissed about the purple vinyl package again if we don't get our discount on that.  One other thing....I resubscribed early for presale tix for this next leg of the tour.  I still had my 25% discount and got another from resubscribing early.  ( I would have resubscribed when my time was up in any event, albeit with a presale code or not.)  I assumed that I had two discounts to use.  NOPE!  I was told that my discount from my current and unexpired membership was lost when I resubscribed early.  I really don't mean to whine here but I feel like there is a big baseball bat up my butt, placed there by the idiots making these decisions.  I go back to Propoganda days.  Not that it's an entitlement but if one goes back that far and starts adding things up...it comes to a lot of money.  I don't understand why they are disregarding their longest running fans.  It makes no sense.  I can have someone burn pretty much anything of U2's for free.  I choose not to do that, however; I know a few people that are so fed up with this crap that they no longer pay for anything except concert tickets and some of them aren't even going to the shows anymore.  I still love this band with a passion.  I love this website.  I love what the band stands for in addition to their music. 

MacFoley wrote:

mick james wrote:

Kristaps wrote:

mick james wrote:

kevu209 wrote:

Claire T wrote:

Kristaps wrote:

Doug Sloan']Totally rediculous Breathe is not included with the single "live concert only" dvd...how call it be described as the "live concert" when they delete the opening song! Pathetic marketing ploy to try and upsell you to the double DVD edition where they list it as a "bonus track."...ITS THE FIRST SONG!!! . Perhaps they need to make up the millions LOST in BONO'S Wall St investments.

It's as much live as is Milan DVD (half of it's missing), ZooTV (a song missing), Slane (1 song missing), Chicago/Boston (a mix of several nights).  

were any the first song though?

On the Paris DVD we got with the Joshua tree remaster it was missing about 2 of the opening songs!
Although what you say is true, the 2 songs cut off the beginning were Stand By Me and C'mon Everybody.

Both covers.

Cutting 2 covers off a DVD that came in a rare box-set is a bit different than cutting the opening track off a widely released DVD.

Can you imagine if they'd cut Zoo Staion from Live in Sydney or Mofo from Live In Mexico?

Even U23D felt kinda wrong when it skipped City Of Blinding Lights

I think it's nice you feel compelled to stick up for the DVD Kev, and you're right, it's really not that big of a deal.

But even you have to admit that it's pretty feckin stupid.

But regardless of the song they cut, the release doesn't suddently stop being a "live concert". This was the point of my reply.

You're right Kris, and as said by yourself and others, nearly every U2 DVD has suffered an edit or two.

But as for cutting the intro of a concert, do you agree that's there's a big difference between cutting some covers from the intro of a Joshua Tree DVD (a limited release), where the setlists changed often and there wasn't a major visual element, and cutting the opening song (not a cover) of the new widely released 360 DVD - the song that opened every single show bar one, and was a pivotal visual element of the show?

The songs cut from Paris were due to copyright, and weren't included as extras either, and how many fans will tell you that the thing they remember about the JT tour, was the night they opened with Stand By Me?

they cut streets off paris too.
Oddly enough, it was one of the rare JT gigs where they didn't play it at all.

Can you imagine a U2 gig without Streets? Madness!! lol

http://u2tours.com/detail.src?ID=19870704

I don't need my wheaties but I do need my Streets live at a U2 show!  My head's involuntarily shaking at that one not being played.  And at a Joshua Tree show too?  There's gotta be a reason behind that one other than they didn't put it on the set list.  Enquiring minds want to know!!!

thanks for comments as regards my earlier post, thought i may well come in for a bit of abuse as there are a lot of "U2 can do no wrong" on this forum.

Having had 48 hrs to let dvd info and price kick in , i am just as angry today. Certainly not calling for a boycott cause lets face it, it would be but a drop in the ocean , but as a previous poster stated it will be interesting to see if anyone from "on high" so to speak pays any attention to what is posted on these forums, although the sad fact is that I very much doubt it. Too late to do anything to alter price or setlist for this dvd release thats for sure, but I have no doubt as the U2 corporate machine gets into full flow again for the new leg of the tour that there may be yet another dvd release after this leg has finished especially if they radically alter the set list or indeed sing some new songs from what might yet become the mythical "Songs From Ascent" album.

A no DVD related question: why "Padrepio"? :)

and back to superdeluxe DVd, people keep forgetting that this version seems to be available but no on official site...

thanks for comments as regards my earlier post, thought i may well come in for a bit of abuse as there are a lot of "U2 can do no wrong" on this forum.

Having had 48 hrs to let dvd info and price kick in , i am just as angry today. Certainly not calling for a boycott cause lets face it, it would be but a drop in the ocean , but as a previous poster stated it will be interesting to see if anyone from "on high" so to speak pays any attention to what is posted on these forums, although the sad fact is that I very much doubt it. Too late to do anything to alter price or setlist for this dvd release thats for sure, but I have no doubt as the U2 corporate machine gets into full flow again for the new leg of the tour that there may be yet another dvd release after this leg has finished especially if they radically alter the set list or indeed sing some new songs from what might yet become the mythical "Songs From Ascent" album.

"U2 can do no wrong"

you stole my phrase......lol

the thing is once the tour kicks off again everything written here and elsewhere will be forgotten and nothing will have changed.

i sent an email to Principal Management regarding a few of the problems on this website over 2 weeks ago they said it was forwarded to their "head office" not had a reply yet and doubt very much i will.

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

mick james wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

mick james wrote:

Kristaps wrote:

mick james wrote:

kevu209 wrote:

Claire T wrote:

Kristaps wrote:

Doug Sloan']Totally rediculous Breathe is not included with the single "live concert only" dvd...how call it be described as the "live concert" when they delete the opening song! Pathetic marketing ploy to try and upsell you to the double DVD edition where they list it as a "bonus track."...ITS THE FIRST SONG!!! . Perhaps they need to make up the millions LOST in BONO'S Wall St investments.

It's as much live as is Milan DVD (half of it's missing), ZooTV (a song missing), Slane (1 song missing), Chicago/Boston (a mix of several nights).  

were any the first song though?

On the Paris DVD we got with the Joshua tree remaster it was missing about 2 of the opening songs!
Although what you say is true, the 2 songs cut off the beginning were Stand By Me and C'mon Everybody.

Both covers.

Cutting 2 covers off a DVD that came in a rare box-set is a bit different than cutting the opening track off a widely released DVD.

Can you imagine if they'd cut Zoo Staion from Live in Sydney or Mofo from Live In Mexico?

Even U23D felt kinda wrong when it skipped City Of Blinding Lights

I think it's nice you feel compelled to stick up for the DVD Kev, and you're right, it's really not that big of a deal.

But even you have to admit that it's pretty feckin stupid.

But regardless of the song they cut, the release doesn't suddently stop being a "live concert". This was the point of my reply.

You're right Kris, and as said by yourself and others, nearly every U2 DVD has suffered an edit or two.

But as for cutting the intro of a concert, do you agree that's there's a big difference between cutting some covers from the intro of a Joshua Tree DVD (a limited release), where the setlists changed often and there wasn't a major visual element, and cutting the opening song (not a cover) of the new widely released 360 DVD - the song that opened every single show bar one, and was a pivotal visual element of the show?

The songs cut from Paris were due to copyright, and weren't included as extras either, and how many fans will tell you that the thing they remember about the JT tour, was the night they opened with Stand By Me?

they cut streets off paris too.
Oddly enough, it was one of the rare JT gigs where they didn't play it at all.

Can you imagine a U2 gig without Streets? Madness!! lol

weird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe edge forgot his effects that day!

They didn't do streets at Murrayfiled Edinburgh on the JT tour.

i sent an email to Principal Management regarding a few of the problems on this website over 2 weeks ago they said it was forwarded to their "head office" not had a reply yet and doubt very much i will.

I sent one about the DVD and guess the answer...

[quote name='monica martino wrote:

basher1']i sent an email to Principal Management regarding a few of the problems on this website over 2 weeks ago they said it was forwarded to their "head office" not had a reply yet and doubt very much i will.

I sent one about the DVD and guess the answer...Erm....there wasn't one??????

Having had 48 hrs to let dvd info and price kick in , i am just as angry today.

How dare you suggest that U2 might do something wrong mad.gif.

Seriously though, I think a lot of people are overreacting. I don't think anyone is happy with the decision to exclude Breathe (myself included), but it's only one song at the end of the day. Also, I couldn't care less about how much they charge for the box set as the two disc edition for $20 sounds fine for me.

My estimate of disc 2 is 30 to 40 minutes depending upon how long the little documentaries are. So, please add the u2 songs (not covers) played elsewhere on 360 like Drowning Man or ???? !!!!!

or Electrical Storm! or Hold Me Thrill Me although I don't think they played that one.  I'd love to see both.

And what's wrong with that?  Some people (people who aren't me so don't get any ideas) are happier thinking U2 can do no wrong, so who are you to tell people what to think?

Hey Mick James again,

I tried and apparently neither will accept the discount we got with our membership. I've already stated my views but wanted to let you know it seems neither the vinyl set nor the new dvd will let us use our discounts.

I'm gonna buy the 2 dvd set. I'd really like to use my discount but I still don't think $21.95 is out of line compared with what other bands are asking for similar packages. Maybe I'll get free shipping in the USA. I read where people in the UK got free shipping.

One other thing....I really hope for your sake that they add shows where you are so you have a chance to see the tour. I thought the show was amazing. Some are saying the stage is so big it's ridiculous but I loved it. I've never seen anything like it and I doubt I ever will after I see them again in Chicago on July 6. I hope you guys get shows.

My estimate of disc 2 is 30 to 40 minutes depending upon how long the little documentaries are.

Videos and their lenghts that we know for sure, total ~20 min:

- Get On Your Boots 3:30

- Magnificent 4:30

- I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Animated) 4:15

- I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Live At Barcelona) 3:50

- Berlin Timelapse Video - 4:30

So you're saying that all the following combined will run for about 10-20 mins?

- The Making Of 'Get On Your Boots' Video

- The Making Of 'Magnificent' Video

- Squaring The Circle: Creating U2360 Documentary

- U2360° Tour Clips

- Bonus Track 'Breathe' (Live At The Rose Bowl)

One other thing....I resubscribed early for presale tix for this next leg of the tour.  I still had my 25% discount and got another from resubscribing early.  ( I would have resubscribed when my time was up in any event, albeit with a presale code or not.)  I assumed that I had two discounts to use.  NOPE!  I was told that my discount from my current and unexpired membership was lost when I resubscribed early.  I really don't mean to whine here but I feel like there is a big baseball bat up my butt, placed there by the idiots making these decisions. 

That's weird man, because I had two discount codes valid at the same time (one from my subscribtion in March 09, and one from Sept 09 resub). And I had absolutely no problems to use the 1st code a day before it would expire.

I just watched the Vertigo clip from 360 and i gotta say im not looking forward to watching the full dvd.. Il get motion sickness from looking at it. Whats with all the quick shots?? i thought they learnt their lesson from the Vertigo Chicago dvd. :'(

I just watched the Vertigo clip from 360 and i gotta say im not looking forward to watching the full dvd.. Il get motion sickness from looking at it. Whats with all the quick shots?? i thought they learnt their lesson from the Vertigo Chicago dvd. :'(
Well if you watched it you will know they used clips from various songs look at around the 1 minute mark it shows the screen from IGCIIDGCT meaning its a trailer but with vertigo playing, but i guess people just want anything to moan about.

[quote name='Panth wrote:

padrepio']thanks for comments as regards my earlier post, thought i may well come in for a bit of abuse as there are a lot of "U2 can do no wrong" on this forum.

And what's wrong with that?  Some people (people who aren't me so don't get any ideas) are happier thinking U2 can do no wrong, so who are you to tell people what to think?

And who are you to question the right of others to tell others what they should or shouldn't think?  Indeed, who am I to question the right of those who question the right of others to tell others what they should or shouldn't think?  It's a vicious circle when we open our mouths and it just keeps coming round and biting us in the arse tongue.gif