Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xtraspicy62

Quitting Smoking Support Thread:Lets carry eachother here

Hey how are you doing, everyone whos trying to quit!

How its going for you? easy, hard, need support?

anyone successful?

got any tips?

Don't even think about quiting until you really want to, set your mind to the task and just go cold turkey...I quit after smoking 2 1/2 packs a day, and that was 22 years ago.

I can go all day without smoking. Today, ive only had one. But as soon as i run out of fags (as i have now) i go into a panic and struggle to survive. I know its all in my head but i've struggled so many times in the past to quit.

I want to quit to better my health and my bank balance but i have too much crap goin on in my life at the moment that it would be way too hard.

Hey Spicy!  You must be sure that you truly want to quit.  But cold turkey isn't always the best way to go.  There will be withdrawl symptoms that may be hard to get through and may only lead you back to smoking.  Just a little something about the dangers of going cold turkey: my father was a 3 pack a day smoker for 30 years.  He stopped cold turkey and suffered a massive heart attack 2 weeks after. He was told that his heart attack was brought on by the extreme measures of going cold turkey.

I am on the smoking cessation pill, Chantix. For the first week you smoke as you regularly do while you are taking the pill(s).  You have to pick a stop smoking date which is a week from your start date (your first week on the medicine).  That day was today for me.  I'm done smoking and I have three more packs of pills plus the maintenance packs which also have 3 refills.  I'm doing well on this.  The Chantix is a drug that removes the nicotine craving. Should you slip up and smoke, you just continue to take the medicine and eventually you'll beat it. Should I screw up, my absolute no smoking anymore date is 4/25 which is my son's birthday.  I haven't told him yet, but I plan on it being one of his bday presents.

Many of my friends have successfully quit and stayed quit from using Chantix.

Btw... this thread is an awesome idea! Thanks, Spicy! We can all support each other as we quit smoking. :)

Hey Spicy!  You must be sure that you truly want to quit.  But cold turkey isn't always the best way to go.  There will be withdrawl symptoms that may be hard to get through and may only lead you back to smoking.  Just a little something about the dangers of going cold turkey: my father was a 3 pack a day smoker for 30 years.  He stopped cold turkey and suffered a massive heart attack 2 weeks after. He was told that his heart attack was brought on by the extreme measures of going cold turkey.

I am on the smoking cessation pill, Chantix. For the first week you smoke as you regularly do while you are taking the pill(s).  You have to pick a stop smoking date which is a week from your start date (your first week on the medicine).  That day was today for me.  I'm done smoking and I have three more packs of pills plus the maintenance packs which also have 3 refills.  I'm doing well on this.  The Chantix is a drug that removes the nicotine craving. Should you slip up and smoke, you just continue to take the medicine and eventually you'll beat it. Should I screw up, my absolute no smoking anymore date is 4/25 which is my son's birthday.  I haven't told him yet, but I plan on it being one of his bday presents.

wow! Way to go! Thats the most loving thing you could give your son for his birthday! I hope you reach your goal and get there and are able to stay there...to give it up so that you can be there longer for your son is so awesome! I hope that some day he realizes just how cool his mom is!

Btw... this thread is an awesome idea! Thanks, Spicy! We can all support each other as we quit smoking. :)
Its hard enough as it is, and without support, I dont think its possible

a friend of mine was a smoker for 30 years too, and when he quit, it only took about4 weeks before he had a stroke...he went into the hospital, and had a few more strokes, then died of a blood clot...

before his first stroke, he was on chanix, and he had very little energy...his skin color actually had a bluish coloing in it... it was wieerd to look at him, because he looked chalky white yet blue...

he was trying to do something good..and he died!

so glad your quitting now, as my friend was several decades older than you...he was in his '60's...

[quote name='xtraspicy62 wrote:

ceallach67']Hey Spicy!  You must be sure that you truly want to quit.  But cold turkey isn't always the best way to go.  There will be withdrawl symptoms that may be hard to get through and may only lead you back to smoking.  Just a little something about the dangers of going cold turkey: my father was a 3 pack a day smoker for 30 years.  He stopped cold turkey and suffered a massive heart attack 2 weeks after. He was told that his heart attack was brought on by the extreme measures of going cold turkey.

wow! Way to go! Thats the most loving thing you could give your son for his birthday! I hope you reach your goal and get there and are able to stay there...to give it up so that you can be there longer for your son is so awesome! I hope that some day he realizes just how cool his mom is!

Aww... thanks, Spicy.  Actually he always says that I'm the coolest Mom.  That's mostly because if it weren't for me having taught him, he wouldn't know how to play the bass.  LOL!  He's been playing for over a year now and he's amazing.  I'm totally impressed.  And, I'm ready to hand the bass player baton on to him and retire for good. tongue.gif

Right now I just want to quit this smoking thing for good. I do not want to be a smoker anymore.

Wishing you the best with quitting too, Spicy.  Ask your Doctor about Chantix and see what he/she says about it.

I was able to quit cold turkey.

I was only 25, though.

Spent two weeks crying. It felt like losing your best friend.

I kept what was left in the pack and carried them in my pocketbook.

I never wanted to feel like I COULDN'T have one.

It didn't feel right to be out of breath at such a young age.

I hadn't planned on quitting. The circumstances at that moment in my life all led to putting out half of what was left of that cigarette and never lighting one again.

Best of luck to everyone!

Im not having too much trouble so far, but this thread is for my friends, neighbors, relative, co-workers, and associates who do still smoke and are having a tough time of it...

I was inspired by you, Kelly to start it!

screamingflower, my mom caught me smoking her cigs, and the look on her face was one of pure horror! she had had cancer in her liffetime, and her biggest fear was that it would come back...

so she looked at me, grounded me for 2 weeks, and promptly quit cold turkey! she never looked back and she never had a rrelapse of her cancer....

being a mom can do marvelous things.....

Your mom handled the situation beautifully.

Your bit of misbehaving turned her life around and taught you a valuable lesson.

I think you just showed a glimmer of where your kindness and compassion comes from.

Your mom handled the situation beautifully.

Your bit of misbehaving turned her life around and taught you a valuable lesson.

I think you just showed a glimmer of where your kindness and compassion comes from.

that was such a beautiful thing to say! thanks for that...when i was a child she would tell me that god is in everyone, and that if i looked into their faces, i could see him...may sound corny, but i totally took her seriously cause i was only about 5 at the time..i decided to look right into people and see god...cause my mom told me so! LOL!, anyways, well, it musta worked or something!! she truly had a beautiful soul, she really did...

I've heard you can get really wicked dreams on Chantix. I've heard it's successful but has interesting side effects on your mental state. That's good it works for you. I wish you all the best with it. I'm too chicken to try it. laugh.gif

Me, I need to quit smoking. Actually I try every year but so far it hasn't taken yet. For me it's purely psychological. I can get over the actual nicotine  craving just fine in about a week or two but the psychological part is a real bitch. I haven't been able to make it past one month. tongue.gifohwell.gif

I've heard you can get really wicked dreams on Chantix. I've heard it's successful but has interesting side effects on your mental state. That's good it works for you. I wish you all the best with it. I'm too chicken to try it. laugh.gif

Me, I need to quit smoking. Actually I try every year but so far it hasn't taken yet. For me it's purely psychological. I can get over the actual nicotine  craving just fine in about a week or two but the psychological part is a real bitch. I haven't been able to make it past one month. tongue.gifohwell.gif

[quote name='Shannon387 wrote:

ceallach67']Hey Spicy!  You must be sure that you truly want to quit.  But cold turkey isn't always the best way to go.  There will be withdrawl symptoms that may be hard to get through and may only lead you back to smoking.  Just a little something about the dangers of going cold turkey: my father was a 3 pack a day smoker for 30 years.  He stopped cold turkey and suffered a massive heart attack 2 weeks after. He was told that his heart attack was brought on by the extreme measures of going cold turkey.

i heard bad stuff about chantix, but if it works for you, then thats really good news, bc stopping is going to be one of the most important things youve ever done.

im not a fan of these kinds of drugs, so im not taking it...i would rather bite my fingernails and exercise like a demon, until my demons are excorcized!!

[quote name='smile.gifsmile.gifShannon387 wrote:

but at least ur working on it and its always there in the back of your mind as a goal...one day you'll build up the strength after all the years of what seems to be a mental preparation for it.....baby steps

Visited Disneyland a week ago(what do you call that thing that spins, across Captain EO??)in Tomorrow land and they have an exhibit about the future and current technology/home decor etc...and they have a place where you sit down and it takes (scans)a picture of you and what you'll look like years from now(in old age)It's kinda creepy, I refused to see what I'm gonna look like. It will scar me...lol....and it has a smoking box to check. To see what happens to your face IF you smoke. As in weight gain as well. According to this exhibit smoking increases wrinkles, sags your face and definitely ages you more. So..that's a good incentive to quit! To stay pretty.

Visited Disneyland a week ago(what do you call that thing that spins, across Captain EO??)in Tomorrow land and they have an exhibit about the future and current technology/home decor etc...and they have a place where you sit down and it takes (scans)a picture of you and what you'll look like years from now(in old age)It's kinda creepy, I refused to see what I'm gonna look like. It will scar me...lol....and it has a smoking box to check. To see what happens to your face IF you smoke. As in weight gain as well. According to this exhibit smoking increases wrinkles, sags your face and definitely ages you more. So..that's a good incentive to quit! To stay pretty.
I know that exhibit . . . kinda scary anticipating the picture, but then not too bad really once I looked at the photo (I looked at it with only one eye open, lol). 

I've never smoked, never even been tempted to. My mom smoked, so did my aunt, as did my father and mother in law . . . . . watching what it did to them, I don't ever want to experience that or to have my children experience it. I'm just here to offer my support to all of you. I think that you are all fantastic for trying to quit. I cannot begin to tell you how to do it, I have no idea, but I will say BRAVO to you for doing it!!!!! Everyone I know who once smoked and quit said it was the hardest thing they ever did, but they all say it is the best thing they ever did. Take it one day (or one hour) at a time and HOORAY FOR YOU!!!!!!!

[quote name='Shannon387 wrote:

I know lots of people who quit using this (it's called "Champix" out here).  Even my mum, of whom we all thought she'd never be able to quit, is now completely smoke-free !

As for all the ones I know who have used it, I know of only 1 woman having problems ... she had a somewhat elevated heartbeat and difficulties sleeping ...

But as said before, the best way to quit is only pure willpower ...

So to all the "quitters" ... GOOD LUCK & go for it !!!

Hey what a great thread.  Really admire everyone's effort and willpower, I don't smoke myself but my best friend has tried to quit so many times, good on ya guyswink.gif

Hey how are you doing, everyone whos trying to quit!

anyone successful?

got any tips?

I am using Champix and the cravings are coming less and less frequently. I'm sick of being a smokersick.gif and this is it!!!

Saturday is my quit date. Wish me luck.

Thanks Spicy!!! 

Hopefully we can keep this thread going for a bit.

[quote name='canada06 wrote:

xtraspicy62']Hey how are you doing, everyone whos trying to quit!

anyone successful?

got any tips?

I am using Champix and the cravings are coming less and less frequently. I'm sick of being a smokerbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif

let us know how saturday goes for you!!! GO TEAM GO GO TEAM GO GO TEAM GO GO TEAM GO!!!