Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xtraspicy62

Quitting Smoking Support Thread:Lets carry eachother here

I haven't posted in this thread in a while but I've been reading it. Congrats to everyone!

I had to come and report in. Since I posted in this thread before I managed to talk myself into quitting smoking. Well actually I've been talking myself into it for a while now but I finally got to a point to where I was ready to do it, for good this time. I read Allan Carr's Easyway to stop smoking, which I had heard about thanks to some zootops here, which helped immensely. I quit 2 weeks ago and have been completely nicotine free. I have to say I feel different this time...like I'm going to be just fine. Once the weird twitchy haze I was in cleared away each day has gotten that much easier.

My cigarette distractions gum, walking, exercising and cleaning...and man my place has never been so clean before. lol I also try and remember the things which motivated me to quit for good in the first place and that's the best motivation for me.

I haven't posted in this thread in a while but I've been reading it. Congrats to everyone!

I had to come and report in. Since I posted in this thread before I managed to talk myself into quitting smoking. Well actually I've been talking myself into it for a while now but I finally got to a point to where I was ready to do it, for good this time. I read Allan Carr's Easyway to stop smoking, which I had heard about thanks to some zootops here, which helped immensely. I quit 2 weeks ago and have been completely nicotine free. I have to say I feel different this time...like I'm going to be just fine. Once the weird twitchy haze I was in cleared away each day has gotten that much easier.

My cigarette distractions gum, walking, exercising and cleaning...and man my place has never been so clean before. lol I also try and remember the things which motivated me to quit for good in the first place and that's the best motivation for me.

awesome job!!! Its not easy, is it?! 2 weeks can seem like forever!! How you keep holding on is amazing! and yes, house cleaning is a great distraction, and nice and hard physical work, takes away the nerves... Im so proud of you!banana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Wow! Everyone is doing great. Congratulations.

I haven’t had a cigarette in 7 weeks but I fight the urges everyday. I try and distract myself to resist a craving but it’s hard when life becomes stressful.

One day at a time. (sigh)

Kristel

Wow! Everyone is doing great. Congratulations.

I haven’t had a cigarette in 7 weeks but I fight the urges everyday. I try and distract myself to resist a craving but it’s hard when life becomes stressful.

One day at a time. (sigh)

Kristel

oh, hang in there, Kristel! i know its soooo hard, aint it?  ONE MOMENT AT A TIME is more like it! LOL!

Your right spicy...one moment at a time, especially when you're about to loose your patience.  I just did one of the puzzles and i am hooked roll.gif

Your right spicy...one moment at a time, especially when you're about to loose your patience.  I just did one of the puzzles and i am hooked roll.gif
I hear ya on that one, LOL! just switch one addiction for another! but hey, at least this ones healthy! I like to see you add a smilely...laughing helps too!

[quote name='xtraspicy62 wrote:

Shannon387']I haven't posted in this thread in a while but I've been reading it. Congrats to everyone!

awesome job!!! Its not easy, is it?! 2 weeks can seem like forever!! How you keep holding on is amazing! and yes, house cleaning is a great distraction, and nice and hard physical work, takes away the nerves... Im so proud of you!banana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Thanks! I do feel better I must say. It really is true what they say. You will quit when your good and ready. Now I know what they mean by that. lol tongue.gif

The first week was torture but the second week really it started getting better each day and now I largely feel fine and great. This may sound weird but I do find I have moments where I forget that I don't smoke. If I'm working at my computer and I feel like I need a break, sometimes that little urge comes back. It's weird, I know but then I quickly remind myself I don't smoke anymore and go over the reasons and that usually does the trick. If not, I get up and go do something else.

I also think the reason it worked this time was because I'm not taking anything as a substitute for the cigarettes. I just found it in myself to endure the process of quitting smoking. That for me really was the best way to do it. Just to do it and get it all over with rather than torture myself with nicotine gum, lozenges, patches, etc.

Shannon387']I haven't posted in this thread in a while but I've been reading it. Congrats to everyone!

Thanks! I do feel better I must say. It really is true what they say. You will quit when your good and ready. Now I know what they mean by that. lol tongue.gif

The first week was torture but the second week really it started getting better each day and now I largely feel fine and great. This may sound weird but I do find I have moments where I forget that I don't smoke. If I'm working at my computer and I feel like I need a break, sometimes that little urge comes back. It's weird, I know but then I quickly remind myself I don't smoke anymore and go over the reasons and that usually does the trick. If not, I get up and go do something else.

I also think the reason it worked this time was because I'm not taking anything as a substitute for the cigarettes. I just found it in myself to endure the process of quitting smoking. That for me really was the best way to do it. Just to do it and get it all over with rather than torture myself with nicotine gum, lozenges, patches, etc.

Update.... am now 1 week off the Champix and have had a bit of a struggle to adapt to no meds, no smokes, no extra eating etc. Geeezzzzz. I'm on holiday this week so I'm keeping myself busy with things that have needed doing. Then fall into bed exhausted from non-stop chores. Friday will be 7 weeks.

Ok, I'm fessing up. I admit it. I slipped up over the weekend at a bbq. Thankfully just a puff. Then my bff's gave me shit. Thank whoever for great friends.

Congrats to everyone. It's a struggle every day. I will now start focusing on getting through each day. That's all we need to do. An acquaintance at work said she played mind games with herself. She told herself that she could smoke tomorrow but not not today and that's what she told herself everyday thereafter. She has now been off them for 9 months or more. I'm going to try that strategy.

Best book i ever read, free pdf download to help those get informed about nicotine. I won't post a link on here, but Google "Freedom From Nicotine." It really explains how we lie to ourselves without knowing it to continue the addiction to nicotine. It keeps me strong when I think I want a cigarette. Remember that the urges do pass, we have to wait them out.

Allen Carr wrote the Easy Way to Stop Smoking, and he died from lung cancer. Reading his book did not help me much.

Good luck to everyone and may the tobacco companies get their just dessert--in hell.

Update.... am now 1 week off the Champix and have had a bit of a struggle to adapt to no meds, no smokes, no extra eating etc. Geeezzzzz. I'm on holiday this week so I'm keeping myself busy with things that have needed doing. Then fall into bed exhausted from non-stop chores. Friday will be 7 weeks.

Ok, I'm fessing up. I admit it. I slipped up over the weekend at a bbq. Thankfully just a puff. Then my bff's gave me shit. Thank whoever for great friends.

Congrats to everyone. It's a struggle every day. I will now start focusing on getting through each day. That's all we need to do. An acquaintance at work said she played mind games with herself. She told herself that she could smoke tomorrow but not not today and that's what she told herself everyday thereafter. She has now been off them for 9 months or more. I'm going to try that strategy.

Oh, dont worry canada... "its not a hill, its a mountain, when you start out the climb".....but your gonna make it all the way to the top! but first your gonna go crazy...if you dont go crazy tonight!!

well done , again, to everyone in here! and good to see some more people posting bout their challenge!

with all the cleaning, and the shining houses, almost makes me wish i was a smoker and quiting too... well, if your houses are done, feel free to come over and i'll lend you mine! everything to support my zootop-friends.....

wink.gif

btw; actarus i don fully agree with comparing tobacco with alcohol. cause tobacco in every way damages your lungs, while red wine and stout (other beers too) are proven to be good for you. as a nurse i can tell you most of our doctors don smoke, but they do drink their wine.... as long as you temper yourself, there's no danger in that.

(or maybe its just what we wanna believe, well in that case a person is entitled to 1 weakness, no?grin.gif)

canada06']Update.... am now 1 week off the Champix and have had a bit of a struggle to adapt to no meds, no smokes, no extra eating etc. Geeezzzzz. I'm on holiday this week so I'm keeping myself busy with things that have needed doing. Then fall into bed exhausted from non-stop chores. Friday will be 7 weeks.

Oh, dont worry canada... "its not a hill, its a mountain, when you start out the climb".....but your gonna make it all the way to the top! but first your gonna go crazy...if you dont go crazy tonight!!

Good one Spicy! Thanks.

Well what helped me to quit was when i had the urge i got a glass of water and sipped it every time i would take an imaginary puff and that help with urges..

best wishes with quiting, i feel so much healthier now and i dont have to worry so much about those gross graphics on the packets ;o)

Well what helped me to quit was when i had the urge i got a glass of water and sipped it every time i would take an imaginary puff and that help with urges..

best wishes with quiting, i feel so much healthier now and i dont have to worry so much about those gross gragpics on the packets ;o)

I utilize the water sipping tactic too, and find that i gotta pee a lot, LOL! but lots and lots of water, must be ok, as most of us are a little dehydrated any way, according to the press...but i gotta say, it does keep a ciggie out of my mouth...

Glad everyone is doing so well. Congrats! I quit smoking and drinking years ago, it was easy for me. My addiction is food, now if only I could control that ugh. Love hearing all the success stories. Good going!!!

123love']Well what helped me to quit was when i had the urge i got a glass of water and sipped it every time i would take an imaginary puff and that help with urges..

best wishes with quiting, i feel so much healthier now and i dont have to worry so much about those gross gragpics on the packets ;o)

I utilize the water sipping tactic too, and find that i gotta pee a lot, LOL! but lots and lots of water, must be ok, as most of us are a little dehydrated any way, according to the press...but i gotta say, it does keep a ciggie out of my mouth...

I've never heard of the water sipping tactic...I'll have to try it.  Mabye it can help me with the food cravings...

[quote name='kbahner wrote:

xtraspicy62 wrote:

123love']Well what helped me to quit was when i had the urge i got a glass of water and sipped it every time i would take an imaginary puff and that help with urges..

I've never heard of the water sipping tactic...I'll have to try it.  Mabye it can help me with the food cravings...

It does help with the food cravings.  I need to be more diligent and drink more water!

[quote name='PattiU2 wrote:

kbahner wrote:

xtraspicy62 wrote:

It does help with the food cravings.  I need to be more diligent and drink more water!

patti and kbahner I add into the water a daily multivitamin in the morning...then sip often from the water, the essences of life, LOL!   but i still have no finger nails!! aarrrr!!

PattiU2 wrote:

kbahner wrote:

xtraspicy62 wrote:

patti and kbahner I add into the water a daily multivitamin in the morning...then sip often from the water, the essences of life, LOL!   but i still have no finger nails!! aarrrr!!

What about getting some really nice nail tips done with the fancy nail art then you won't want to bite them as they look nice and they are so much stronger than real nails and less likely to be bitten off?

Well done Spicy especially after re-visiting a very traumatic experience recently.  That would have been enough for most people to start again.

You are all a lot stronger than you realize.thumbsup.gif