Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xtraspicy62

Quitting Smoking Support Thread:Lets carry eachother here

[quote name='xtraspicy62 wrote:

canada06 wrote:

xtraspicy62']Hey how are you doing, everyone whos trying to quit!

How its going for you? easy, hard, need support?

anyone successful?

got any tips?

I am using Champix and the cravings are coming less and less frequently. I'm sick of being a smokerbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif

let us know how saturday goes for you!!! GO TEAM GO GO TEAM GO GO TEAM GO GO TEAM GO!!!

happy.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I am so ready to be a non-smoker

I know sev who quit and restart everytime they stress out. Keep quitting, and be strong one day at a time. I cannot imagine, and most of us have a demon stalking us.

I'm quitting, but its not really hard, I only smoke at parties every once in a while, in a week, ok almost every weekend.

But my next ex boyfriend is the one who's havving a hard time, going for surgery cuz of some complication with his lungs, cause: you guessed it, smoking.

I quite smoking when I was pregnant and really didn't miss it. Had an extremely stressful day a couple of weeks after our son was born and the first thing I went for was the cigs. That's all it took and I was back to smoking. I wish I'd never started up again cause like I said, I really didn't miss it. It's not a nicotine addiction for me, it's a psychological addiction. I had no withdrawal symptoms other then gaining weight, that's inevitable because your metabolism slows down.

Now that I'm older I am starting to feel the effects of life long smoking, so best of luck to everyone!

Day 3.... I don't smoke, don't even want to, hey now check my change.

Got through the weekend without one and now at work it will be even easier.

Champix is magic. Takes the edge off of quitting. Unlike cold turkey where you turn into a whole new person. And not a nice one either.

Wish me luck.

Champix is magic. Takes the edge off of quitting. Unlike cold turkey where you turn into a whole new person. And not a nice one either.

Wish me luck.

Good luck to you!  You can do it!  Day 9 of not smoking and I'm using Chantix too.  It does indeed help with the cravings.  It's just the habit of it all that's left to beat now, really.  There have been a couple tough moments. but I got through 'em.

I smoked from the age of 14 to 32, ive given up for a year and only have 1 or 2 fags when i drink alcohol (which isn't every night!) its every other night! :P .But seriously... i found that if you get pissed then smoke a shit load in the morning you can go for a few days with out one as its so discusting.

Now im just a casual smoker... the worst kind!.

Just gotta quit crack (very moreish) and heroin.... and the odd speedball every now and again... and ill be fine :P

[quote name='ceallach67 wrote:

canada06']Day 3.... I don't smoke, don't even want to, hey now check my change.

Wish me luck.

Good luck to you!  You can do it!  Day 9 of not smoking and I'm using Chantix too.  It does indeed help with the cravings.  It's just the habit of it all that's left to beat now, really.  There have been a couple tough moments. but I got through 'em.

Good luck to you too. Gotta fight through the situations that you equate with smoking.

I smoked from the age of 14 to 32, ive given up for a year and only have 1 or 2 fags when i drink alcohol (which isn't every night!) its every other night! :P .But seriously... i found that if you get pissed then smoke a shit load in the morning you can go for a few days with out one as its so discusting.

Just gotta quit crack (very moreish) and heroin.... and the odd speedball every now and again... and ill be fine :P

I can't be a social smoker. For me it's all or nothing!!! As for that other shit you have to quit... whew that's a list and a half! eek.gif  I've been smoking since I was about 13 and I'm now in my forties. That's way too long. I quit for a year once before. If I did it then, I can do it now. I'm determined.

[quote name='canada06 wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

canada06']Day 3.... I don't smoke, don't even want to, hey now check my change.

Wish me luck.

Good luck to you too. Gotta fight through the situations that you equate with smoking.

Yup, yup, that's true. Luckily, I don't have too many of them.  Since you can't smoke anywhere anymore and I don't smoke in my house or my cars, a lot of that equating a situation with smoking was removed awhile ago.  I don't associate a coffee with a smoke or a drink with a smoke or even driving with a smoke anymore and haven't long before I decided it was time to quit for good.  So that made it all that much easier for me.

Wow....good luck to everybody whos trying to quit. .

As Ceallach said you have to be sure you want to quit. Take one day at a time.

I used a book by Allen Carr called The easyway to stop smoking. I read it in 2 days,,smoked as i was reading it and by the time i got to the last chapter i had 3 cigarettes left, it was a struggle to smoke those final 3 but iv never put one in my mouth since and that was 6 yrs ago. I know it sounds daft but i know lots of people who have quit by reading the book.....its worth a try :D

Wish me luck.

good luck! and hang in there!!

UUUUHHHHH.....lots of luck, and hang in there too!! laugh.gif

So, how's everyone doing??? Like Barbara said, hang in there!!!

when I feel like smoking I ride my bike now...

Its a very different lifestyle and it feels freaky

Keep wanting to put something in my mouth

I then am resorting to drinking lots of water

still overeating and biting nails

but am trying to save my life!

how is everyone else doing it? Just by chantix?

when the chantix is gone, how are you going to survive?

Xtra, you sound like you're on the right track! I applaud your self-discipline . . . riding your bike and drinking water is changing your bad habit into a good, healthy habit!!! Don't beat yourself up about the overeating (I hear that is fairly typical when you quit) and the biting nails as you will gain control over that in time. For now, concentrate on keeping the cigarettes out of your mouth, then deal with the rest once the nicotine habit is removed. Maybe try having popcorn, baby carrots, etc. around for when you have that urge to eat? Good luck and hang in there!!! Don't give up!!!

It is now day 5. Still going well. At night when I'm at home is when I feel like a smoke. I have a jigsaw puzzle that I have been ignoring. Gonna take it out, blow the dust off and that will keep my hands busy. When the Champix runs out we'll just have to keep fighting. Every day without a cigarette it will get easier. Baby steps, baby step Spicy!!!

Good luck.

Xtra, you sound like you're on the right track! I applaud your self-discipline . . . riding your bike and drinking water is changing your bad habit into a good, healthy habit!!! Don't beat yourself up about the overeating (I hear that is fairly typical when you quit) and the biting nails as you will gain control over that in time. For now, concentrate on keeping the cigarettes out of your mouth, then deal with the rest once the nicotine habit is removed. Maybe try having popcorn, baby carrots, etc. around for when you have that urge to eat? Good luck and hang in there!!! Don't give up!!!
good tip, janette! carrots, cucumber, the little 'cherry'tomatoes(dutch name) and even raw cauliflower...yummie! i love those candies of nature...

good luck, spicy and all the rest! and don be too hard on yourself xx

wow, all good ideas! I am falling in love with popping those cherry tomatoes!

dont they have a special kind of anti oxident in them that helps to heal arteries and/or inflammation?

congratulations canadao6 for FIVE DAYS!! BABY STEPS IS RIGHT, LOL!

Well I think I was actually lucky I guess - my body simply rejected it. After smoking for 2 or 3 years, I took a puff one day, vomitted and I haven't been able to even stand the smell of cigarettes since.

I tend to look at it from an economic point of view. I mean, our Government here in Australia is about to increase the tax on ciggies so much that it will cost about $20 per packet. (They should just get it over with and ban smokes completely but I guess they enjoy the tax dollars too much). If the sheer cost of smoking (as well as the longer term costs you will incur through health problems, lost pay through time off work) isn't enough to get motivated, then I don't know what is really. Cancer perhaps?

If you are trying to give up - I wish you all the best - life without smoking is grand indeed.

Well I think I was actually lucky I guess - my body simply rejected it. After smoking for 2 or 3 years, I took a puff one day, vomitted and I haven't been able to even stand the smell of cigarettes since.

I tend to look at it from an economic point of view. I mean, our Government here in Australia is about to increase the tax on ciggies so much that it will cost about $20 per packet. (They should just get it over with and ban smokes completely but I guess they enjoy the tax dollars too much). If the sheer cost of smoking (as well as the longer term costs you will incur through health problems, lost pay through time off work) isn't enough to get motivated, then I don't know what is really. Cancer perhaps?

If you are trying to give up - I wish you all the best - life without smoking is grand indeed.

wow, amazing how your own body knew to reject them. they are just full of toxins! My neighbor now has emphysema and coughs so hard she has to puke and spit, yet she still smokes...she cant stop, shes tried everything...what a nightmare for her...and she like so many thought it was harmless back when she was younger....shes in her 60's now...

Canada06

But I came close to cracking... doing my taxes and I owe!!!! $%#@! hate paying those bastards more than I already do. Rant now over. Have bored everyone within earshot with the news.

Note to Fortitude, I thought Canada charged alot for smokes, average $10 per pack. Wow, you Aussies are getting hosed. Who could possibly afford it? Just another luxury for the rich?

Going for a bike ride is an outstanding way to get over the smoking craving!  Yeah, it's the habit of it all that's tough to kick.  Not so much the Nicotine because once you get passed the first week or so of not smoking it's not really the Nicotine addiction anymore, but the habit of it.  I know people who cut the outer tubing of a pen and used that to replicate the smoking habit.  I thought about getting one of those Electronic cigarettes but they are kind of on the expensive side. 

Weight gain is normal and to be expected.  It's a natural urge to want to replace the smoking with eating.  I've been keeping raw carrots and raw almonds (which is what I was snacking on anyway before I quit smoking) handy so that I don't go to the vending machine at work or just snack on anything else. Chocolate is a craving now, but you can eat a little dark chocolate and kill the chocolate craving as well as eating something good for you!  Dark chocolate is an antioxidant and it's good for you.  But I've gained 2lbs back but whatever. I lost the weight before I quit smoking by eating well,  I can do it again if I have to.  It's more important to be a non smoker than to worry about gaining a few lbs. Whole smoking can increase your metabolism it also elevates your heart rate in an unhealthy way and is linked to why so many smokers suffer heart attacks. Weight gain or not, quitting smoking is the best thing to do. You are doing an awesome job with replacing the smoking with exercising, Spicy.  That's the best thing. smile.gif

About the Chantix.  After these I have another pack of 12 weeks of maintenance and then 3 refills after that.  The Chantix only serves as a means to tell your brain that you aren't addicted to Nicotine.  Once you're through the refills you shouldn't need the Chantix anymore.  I'm ready to stop it now but I know it's too soon and not recommended.  It's just they make me nauseas for a good half hour after I take it.