Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xtraspicy62

Quitting Smoking Support Thread:Lets carry eachother here

I usually smoke when I'm upset, when I feel like smoking I just think: Is that gonna make it better?

Then I know there is no need.

[quote name='xtraspicy62 wrote:

Fortitude']Well I think I was actually lucky I guess - my body simply rejected it. After smoking for 2 or 3 years, I took a puff one day, vomitted and I haven't been able to even stand the smell of cigarettes since.

I tend to look at it from an economic point of view. I mean, our Government here in Australia is about to increase the tax on ciggies so much that it will cost about $20 per packet. (They should just get it over with and ban smokes completely but I guess they enjoy the tax dollars too much). If the sheer cost of smoking (as well as the longer term costs you will incur through health problems, lost pay through time off work) isn't enough to get motivated, then I don't know what is really. Cancer perhaps?

If you are trying to give up - I wish you all the best - life without smoking is grand indeed.

wow, amazing how your own body knew to reject them. they are just full of toxins! My neighbor now has emphysema and coughs so hard she has to puke and spit, yet she still smokes...she cant stop, shes tried everything...what a nightmare for her...and she like so many thought it was harmless back when she was younger....shes in her 60's now...

working in the oncology&lungdisease-unit, i see those people all the time, spicy! throwing the O2 off to have a quick smoke....then back gasping to breath, quickly putting O2 back on! they cant quit, its sad : -(

and you are right tomaties are very healthy! so you can not have too many!!

I don't chew gum myself, but I'm wondering if it would keep your mouth occupied, lol??? Might be worth a try.

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:

xtraspicy62 wrote:

Fortitude']Well I think I was actually lucky I guess - my body simply rejected it. After smoking for 2 or 3 years, I took a puff one day, vomitted and I haven't been able to even stand the smell of cigarettes since.

I tend to look at it from an economic point of view. I mean, our Government here in Australia is about to increase the tax on ciggies so much that it will cost about $20 per packet. (They should just get it over with and ban smokes completely but I guess they enjoy the tax dollars too much). If the sheer cost of smoking (as well as the longer term costs you will incur through health problems, lost pay through time off work) isn't enough to get motivated, then I don't know what is really. Cancer perhaps?

If you are trying to give up - I wish you all the best - life without smoking is grand indeed.

wow, amazing how your own body knew to reject them. they are just full of toxins! My neighbor now has emphysema and coughs so hard she has to puke and spit, yet she still smokes...she cant stop, shes tried everything...what a nightmare for her...and she like so many thought it was harmless back when she was younger....shes in her 60's now...

working in the oncology&lungdisease-unit, i see those people all the time, spicy! throwing the O2 off to have a quick smoke....then back gasping to breath, quickly putting O2 back on! they cant quit, its sad : -(

and you are right tomaties are very healthy! so you can not have too many!!That really is so sad, isn't it???!!!  My mom had thought that she could never quit until her sister died of cancer. Mom quit cold-turkey and has never looked back. My husband's dad and mom both quit over 30 years ago, also cold turkey. Unfortunately, emphezema (sp?) and lung cancer took their tolls anyway and his dad died a few years ago and his mom is not far from it. I'd love to see tobacco farms shut down and the cig. manufacturers put out of the business of legally addicting millions of people, but it isn't going to happen sadly, so do whatever it takes for you to fight the urge, go for it and win the battle!!!! Today you are one day closer to better health!!!

i quit 1.1.2010 cold turkey and havent gone back since. if you really want to you can, otherwise it doesnt make sense... i smoked since i was 16 to 31 with one 1 year break in between... i wanted to and even my last cigarette i only had 3 puffs cause mentally, i had already given up... YOU CAN DO IT FOLKS! :)

Hey how are you doing, everyone whos trying to quit!

How its going for you? easy, hard, need support?

anyone successful?

got any tips?

I smoked for + 20 yeas and thought I'd never be able to quit. until a good friend of mine, who'd tried to quit so many times ... eventually succeeded. I started reading Allen Car's book and I quit smoking immediately. Never looked back, it's been over 2 years now. you have absolutely NO idea how happy I am that I got rid of those cigarettes. I was actually scared to try and quit smoking because I feared I would fail. I can't believe I thought that :)

But remember ... YOU have to be convinced that you WANT to quit. once you're there, the rest is easy. really!! Perception is the key word. Realise that it is an addiciton and that your body does not want nicotine, but the nicotinemonster on your shoulder does. Tell it to shut up and go. 

to quit smoking doesn't hurt, a tooth-acke is a lot more painful. Be convinced that you are lucky to quit smoking and don't go around feeling sorry for yourself because you can't smoke anymore. wrong attitude. you don't WANT to smoke anymore. big difference.

know that physical addiction to nicotine only lasts for not even 2 weeks.

but you must also know that nicotine is one of the most addictive 'drugs' in the world. you can never smoke again, not even one cigarette.

there's a few things a smoker doesn't realise. how bad he smells. how bad his clothes and hair smells. how bad his hair  ... and everything smells. I was stunned to find out.

My skin has totally changed. I can run so much better (to the front row at a U2 show for instance :D). I can jump and dance so much longer (at a U2 concert, for instance :D). I can smell so much better!! And no, I didn't gain any weight. I ate carotes to keep my mouth busy in the evening.

good luck!! stay motivated. you can. you really can quit!! use whatever means or system you think will help you. A book to change your mind, pills to reduce your desire for nicotine ... but don't forget the power of your own mind. be convinced about what you want, and stay focussed. like a mantra. Jump around, I'm so happy I quit!!

Day 3.... I don't smoke, don't even want to, hey now check my change.

Got through the weekend without one and now at work it will be even easier.

Champix is magic. Takes the edge off of quitting. Unlike cold turkey where you turn into a whole new person. And not a nice one either.

Wish me luck.

heeh!! yeah, I remember those first days. realllly bad temper. me and my husband quit the same day and 5 days later, bought a kitchen cabinet in Ikea and tried to put it together. now that is really brilliant timing. NOT!! LOL!

The good thing about doing it together is that you understand you're not trying to offend or hurt anyone, you're just letting go of some steam.

Keep going girl, you're doing fine.

xtraspicy62 wrote:

Wow, Barbara, you've definitely seen what the bad side of smoking can be. That scenario you describe is sad.  I think one of the reasons I wanted to quit too was thinking of folks like that and not wanting to be like that.  But I can certainly understand the addiction.  Really tough.

Hey Spicy... my sister has blood clots in her lungs and she hacks and coughs like that while she continues to smoke.  It's really scary.

[quote name='Janette B wrote:

barbara1
']

That really is so sad, isn't it???!!!  My mom had thought that she could never quit until her sister died of cancer. Mom quit cold-turkey and has never looked back. My husband's dad and mom both quit over 30 years ago, also cold turkey. Unfortunately, emphezema (sp?) and lung cancer took their tolls anyway and his dad died a few years ago and his mom is not far from it. I'd love to see tobacco farms shut down and the cig. manufacturers put out of the business of legally addicting millions of people, but it isn't going to happen sadly, so do whatever it takes for you to fight the urge, go for it and win the battle!!!! Today you are one day closer to better health!!!

sometimes losing a dear one cause of cancer helps people to see the danger they put themselves in... sometimes it doesnt!

one of the girls from the cleaning service in our hospital lost both her mum and dad (in 1 year time, both under 60 years of age) to lungcancer... but she still smokes, up to 1 package a day.

my oldest son smokes too, and just says; you have to die of something in the end.... i told him this is not the way you wanna die, cause this means suffering for years... not been able to play with grandkids, take a walk to the pub, or walk your dog, ride a bike,... and so on. who wants to miss out on all this for that stupid, stinking cigarette?! 

Keep nagging him, Barbara! How old is he? Is he still in that age-range where they really don't think anything bad will ever happen to them? Hard to get through to them sometimes, isn't it??!!

I don't chew gum myself, but I'm wondering if it would keep your mouth occupied, lol??? Might be worth a try.
I heard that it makes your mouth salivate, and therefore you actually want to keep putting more stuff in your mouth in the long run...IDK, LOL! does this work for anyone here?

Keep nagging him, Barbara! How old is he? Is he still in that age-range where they really don't think anything bad will ever happen to them? Hard to get through to them sometimes, isn't it??!!

he'll turn 16 on june 30th.... so young to smoke! i wanted to hit him on his bottom when he finally admited he did smoke (as a mom i already had a suspicion).... but realise it wont work! you cant stop them... my love started preaching bout all the dangers, its expensive, smells bad, blablabla... but i told him he probably already heard that and it wouldnt make him reconsider. seems like his new girlfriend doesnt smoke...so i hope that will make him quit, sigh, maybe?

Janette B']Keep nagging him, Barbara! How old is he? Is he still in that age-range where they really don't think anything bad will ever happen to them? Hard to get through to them sometimes, isn't it??!!

he'll turn 16 on june 30th.... so young to smoke! i wanted to hit him on his bottom when he finally admited he did smoke (as a mom i already had a suspicion).... but realise it wont work! you cant stop them... my love started preaching bout all the dangers, its expensive, smells bad, blablabla... but i told him he probably already heard that and it wouldnt make him reconsider. seems like his new girlfriend doesnt smoke...so i hope that will make him quit, sigh, maybe?

aw man! hes sooo young! I'm sure he is feeling invincible right now because of his age. is he involved in sports?

sports can help a young person to quit/see the importance of being able to keep heart and lungs healthy!

[quote name='ceallach67 wrote:

barbara1 wrote:

xtraspicy62 wrote:

Wow, Barbara, you've definitely seen what the bad side of smoking can be. That scenario you describe is sad.  I think one of the reasons I wanted to quit too was thinking of folks like that and not wanting to be like that.  But I can certainly understand the addiction.  Really tough.

Hey Spicy... my sister has blood clots in her lungs and she hacks and coughs like that while she continues to smoke.  It's really scary.

sorry to hear that kelly! oh, what will she do if a clot travels to the wrong area? all these peeps that cant quit, I'm starting to wonder if nicotine is #1 in addiction over crack cocaine.....this stuff on this thread is so scary

[quote name='xtraspicy62 wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

barbara1 wrote:

xtraspicy62 wrote:

sorry to hear that kelly! oh, what will she do if a clot travels to the wrong area? all these peeps that cant quit, I'm starting to wonder if nicotine is #1 in addiction over crack cocaine.....this stuff on this thread is so scary

Ah, yeah, she's been in and out of the hospital for this and was even warned before it got to this stage that she needed to quit smoking or at the very least cut back.  She still continues to smoke her 2-3 packs a day.  In fact, she got in trouble by smoking in the bathroom of her hospital room the last time she was admitted!

You know,  they say that cigarettes are as addicting if not more addicting than heroine and just as tough to kick. eek.gif

Janette B']Keep nagging him, Barbara! How old is he? Is he still in that age-range where they really don't think anything bad will ever happen to them? Hard to get through to them sometimes, isn't it??!!

Let's hope for the girlfriend to be a factor.  But truly, coming from one who started smoking when I was in my 20s... I knew of the dangers, was told of the dangers and all of the bad that comes with smoking and still, I couldn't be told either.  Just one of those things I chalk up to stupidity in my life.  The only person that can convince your son to stop smoking or to not smoke is himself.  Maybe a trip to work with you to see how it can effect people's health and lives could help some? Then again, when we are young, we all tend to think we are invincible and beyond that kind of thing.  Or we kid ourselves by saying we won't become addicted to smoking like that and there's always that cliched lie we tell ourselves, "I can quit anytime". 

Really sorry Barbara, I do hope your son listens to you and quits smoking before it becomes a too hard to break habit.

Hey folks, forgive me if this has been typed before, but my better half has quit many times, it's lifelong demon. (as can attest a few icons associated with this fan base)....I was just about to scoop up Champix for my quitter, who has used patches and gum,  but am cautioned by what I found about

Anyway, be careful!, especially if mixing stimulants:

http://www.champixruinedmylife.com/

Interesting video released by the FDA (Food & Drug Administration) in the US which was subsequently removed. I wonder if Pfizer had any influence in this decision? being the worlds #1 pharmaceutical giant.

http://whyquit.com/videos/FDA-SHOW74-SEG3.MPG

http://www.whyquit.com which is a site packed with useful information for people who want to quit smoking in a safer way.

WhyQuit.com - a free online quit smoking forum offering motivation, education, skills development, counseling and serious group support

2009 FDA ACTION UPDATE: Since the below article's original publication on April 2, 2008 the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) announced on July 1, 2009 that Chantix must carry a black box warning, the FDA's highest warning level. This FDA site link discusses the new warning and allows viewing of September 2009 FDA video on the black box warning update.

fda_chantix_video.jpg

WARNING: As advised by the FDA and Pfizer, "If either you, your family or caregiver notice agitation, depressed mood, or changes in behavior that are not typical for you, or if you develop suicidal thoughts or actions, stop taking CHANTIX and call your doctor right away."WARNING: Do not rely upon any information in this article, including comments made by other Chantix users, to replace individual consultations with your doctor, pharmacist or other qualified health care provider.

Yes, very well aware of the dangers of CHANTIX. But it is a good thing that you posted that ATTS. You can't get CHANTIX unless it is prescribed by a Doctor. Like anything, if you take it right, you are honest with the Doctor before it is prescribed, than you should be okay. But if you do experience any depression you should tell your doctor and stop taking it immediately. The dangers clearly state that if you have had any bouts with clinical depression or other mental illnesses, you should NEVER, EVER take CHANTIX.

The most common side effect that I have heard people talk about and have experience is weird or unusual dreams. I've talked to some friends who say they had nightmares, but most of the people I know who have taken CHANTIX just say they had some strange dreams, myself included. The other common side effect is nausea after taking the morning pill. I have that too. You must take it with food and drink a lot of water when taking it as the intructions tell you to do. The nausea only lasts about 10-20 minutes or so and it isn't overwhelming. Not everyone has these side effects but a few that I spoke to who took it before me did and I knew what to expect going in.

Yes, so young! At 16, you think you know so much and nothing bad will ever happen to you and I imagine that the cigarettes make him feel kinda grown up and cool, huh? Problem is, as you know, by the time he outgrows those ideas, he'll be addicted.  Keep at him, even though he knows the dangers, maybe, just maybe you'll find a crack in his armour. Hope the non-smoking girlfriend has some influence . . . just speaking for myself, I never dated a guy who smoked 'cause I detest the smell and I'm allergic to the smoke, cannot stand to be around it . . . so, maybe, maybe? 

thanx to all who care bout my son! and yes , i know when you're round that age, you cant even imagine being sick let alone dieing... i do hope he'll quit in time.

neither me or my love ever smoked, but i know its hard cause both my parents tried it. my mom succeeded when she got pregnant again (she did stop while she was carrying me, but first thing she did after given birth was having a smoke!) this time she managed to stay off the cigarettes. my dad tried lots of things, but is still smoking.

and i hope you 're all careful with the medicins, and ask a doctor when you have a problem with it.

good luck again!

[quote name='ceallach67 wrote:

barbara1 wrote:

xtraspicy62 wrote:

My grandfather died of emphysema last year and my Dad also has it too (his lungs only operate at about 35 per cent capacity on a good day). 

It's bloody awful. 

[quote name='Fortitude wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

barbara1 wrote:

xtraspicy62 wrote:

My grandfather died of emphysema last year and my Dad also has it too (his lungs only operate at about 35 per cent capacity on a good day). 

It's bloody awful. 

I'm so sorry to hear that Fortitude. (((HUGS)))

Helloooo...only just looked at this thread but well done to everyone quitting the evil weed!! Im on Champix too....six weeks smoke free, yaaay!!!! Looking forward to coming off the Champix though...magic it is...but god it makes me feel soooo sick!! Especially if I forget to eat first! Quit once before for 3 years with the help of hypnotherapy...but this time I'm determined to give up...especially as I just worked out how much i've been spending every month!!

Helloooo...only just looked at this thread but well done to everyone quitting the evil weed!! Im on Champix too....six weeks smoke free, yaaay!!!! Looking forward to coming off the Champix though...magic it is...but god it makes me feel soooo sick!! Especially if I forget to eat first! Quit once before for 3 years with the help of hypnotherapy...but this time I'm determined to give up...especially as I just worked out how much i've been spending every month!!
Very cool, Jennie!! Congrats to you for being 6 weeks smoke free!! Awesome, awesome job! Yeah it makes me sick too. Must eat first. I know what you mean about the cost of smoking. Between my husband and myself we had to be spending at least $350 a month to support our smoking habit. And that's with buying them in another state most of the time because the cost for cigarettes in our state is out-freaking-rageous! It's just about $8 a pack now.

But can I ask why several peeps on here keep calling it "CHAMPIX?"  Just wondering because it's actually called CHANTIX.  Not meaning to be a jerk, just curious.

I can tell you from experience how addictive cigarettes are.

My mom smoked for years and quit in her 70's. She had been off them for 7 or 8 years and found out she had lung cancer. Luckily it was contained in one lung. It was removed and she is still with us. She'll be 87 this Sept. She does however have episodes of trouble breathing due to COPD. She struggles at times but boy is she a fighter and is still pretty active. My personal hero.

Now you would think that watching this person who you love to bits go through all that you would quit immediately. It's been 6 years since her surgery and this is my third attempt at quitting.

The main thing to do is keep trying. Even if you fall for a while and start smoking again. Just keep trying.

So there is my motivation for quitting.

What are yours?

This is a great thread everyone. Keep trying. The cravings will pass and the benefits are too many to list.

Yay for us quitters!! The one time that being a quitter is admirable.