Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zhivvy

US pastor to burn copies of the Koran on 11th September

I know that there are many articles all over the news about this - this is just one of them.

What do the rest of you think about this man?

http://www.belfasttelegra...ptember-11-14936702.html

Apparently there are rumours that he wants to set this up as an official Koran burning day!

I know that there are many articles all over the news about this - this is just one of them.

Apparently there are rumours that he wants to set this up as an official Koran burning day!

apparently a very misguided man with no vision over visability......

BC if he had any vision he would be able to see that

saving their lives..the hungry, the homeless, the sick. etc.....this will win hearts and minds...

He is part of the problem, not part of the solution....

He doesnt know the man Jesus, apparently, and knows not his teachings, nor has a walk with him...

Worse, the media is giving him attention...

He is the reason so many are turned off by christianity...

He is a misguided and uneducated fool 

he might as well throw the Declaration of Independance ans US Constitution on top of the pile...because he can't possibly believe in those, either...can he?

I am still shaking my head over this - and he is trying to give justified arguments to back up his 'opinion'. and besides he saying things which i totally do not believe in and makes me so angry, he cannot even aknowledge the fact that he is putting people's lives at risk in both the US and in war zones by doing this!

I think that you are right Spicy that people are being put off religion by these kinds of people and he is part of the problem or the misguided hatred which we see all around us.

And Peter, i think that anything which makes sense should be given to him to burn as he doesn't seem to believe in anything apart from himself.

i have to say i am very disturbed over what is happening in this country, and I would like to know if the same sort of thing is happening in other 'democracies'. There are 2 main political parties, and they cannot agree on anything. there is no working together. There is only one party trying to do whatever they can to keep their power and control. This is with both parties. It is getting worse. The only way i see improvement is to somehow get all of these entrenched parties and politicians out of there...and put a bunch of inexperienced everyday people in their place to get back to square one. I know there are alot of frustrated people like me around.....looking for a way to stop the madness...but not seeing much hope. Things don't change even when the guy preaching hope gets elected to run the country!!

I have one thing to say about this guy: He's cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs!!
156638246_6f3843827d.jpg

He was on the news earlier - took a lot of strength not to kick the TV!!! (only the fact it is the only one we've got stopped me!)

can he not hear the ridiculousness coming out of his mouth?

Ok, here I go

I don't believe a thing

The world trade center was imploted by the US gov itself, the rest were fantasy stories, excuses

Poor Iraq, why, with the stupid excuse, they only wanted their oil for free, and war is such a huge business.

if you buy and produce so many guns, then, you have to use it, you have to justify the money

Afganistan was invaded seriously, while Iraq was invaded just to capt attention from all of stupid us.

Out from under your beds, stop helping God across the road like a litle old lady

It's a big lie, and aparently the lie continues...

All we need is litle spark, to start the biggest fire

I don't believe in the images of arab people protesting against this, probably, they even know about

Watch out, this could be dangerous, don't let them....

saw something bout this on the news....wtf? what is this?? what good can come from this?? its a smack in the face for the peaceful muslims and its pouring oil into the fire with the angry, violent muslims. 

i admit i wonder about this violent, disrespectful side of muslim religion often (cause i heard radical muslims say more then once how western lives don mean a thing to allah, or to them.) and i think if all these religions would just disappear someday, that would be a big step towards worldpeace (imagine no religion, nothing to kill or die for).
but showing disrespect like this, can only make hatred grow.
only a fool, who is horny for media-attention could come up with this....

"I don't believe in the images of arab people protesting against this, probably, they even know about"

I wanted to say, they don't even know about it.

Sorry, is the second time in the week I forget the NO word, aparently I can't say NO this week

saw something bout this on the news....wtf? what is this?? what good can come from this?? its a smack in the face for the peaceful muslims and its pouring oil into the fire with the angry, violent muslims. 
i admit i wonder about this violent, disrespectful side of muslim religion often (cause i heard radical muslims say more then once how western lives don mean a thing to allah, or to them.) and i think if all these religions would just disappear someday, that would be a big step towards worldpeace (imagine no religion, nothing to kill or die for).
but showing disrespect like this, can only make hatred grow.
only a fool, who is horny for media-attention could come up with this....

Sorry Barb,... angry, violent muslims ?

Just angry people because her parents, brothers, sisters, sons and daughters died during the invasion, or, were seriously injured ? Imagine litle childreen who lost eyes, arms, legs, parents. Without water or suplies because it's one of the most old strategy of war ?

I don't like any religion, as you said, they only separate people,

but let's be less naif....War these days is not the result of some "angry" or "peaceful" people. It's just huge business so far of our knowlegde, nothing to do with real people.

Please don't say peaceful or angry muslims, they are just people, like us, confused and scared, and very far of being in control of their destinies.

i think they willl hear bout it, nazh. cause there are lots off arab millitian-groupes... even in our country, who love to stir up the mass. we had this  danish cartoon here in europe some time ago, making fun of an arab, including a bad joke about the koran too... and lots of protest in european countries by moslims, here in belgium too. so if they react like that to a cartoon, i don think they will take a koran-burn lightly.

i think they willl hear bout it, nazh. cause there are lots off arab millitian-groupes... even in our country, who love to stir up the mass. we had this  danish cartoon here in europe some time ago, making fun of an arab, including a bad joke about the koran too... and lots of protest in european countries by moslims, here in belgium too. so if they react like that to a cartoon, i don think they will take a koran-burn lightly.
I know Barb, you are true

All I'm saying is we eat the lies, europen, americans, southamericans, arabs,

we, the real people, we don't have to buy this, if we don't, they don't have the power. They want us to be fear, fear of eachother, then they can do war, we give them the excuses, even when we don't know it.

do you still believe some muslim group atacked WTC,... is a lie, to justify the world

they through this kind of news to us, western and muslims, to start the fire.

At the end it's just a very old and ugly guy, saying a very stupid thing, don't give him camera, just laugh on him. How many follow him. But they make you say "peaceful" and "angry, violent" muslims. With this they achieved their goal. Don't you realize.

Let's continue talking about the real things, those which matters,

Don't let them....

Love you Barb, you are a great person

i know what you mean, nazh. but i don think what i say is wrong. cause we have lots of arabs here, and lets face it some just use their religion to work out frustration on us. my love makes pictures in schools, and in brussels there are schools with an almost strictly muslim-population. big, angry boys. who would threaten you . teahcers just let them in the gymhall, place where pics are made, close the door and run! cause they are so glad to have peace for awhile. then these boys start to threaten the photographer, they will make them hand over their camera! they come to them on the parcing-lot and take away their money , cellphone, gps... and teachers or managment is to scared to do something bout it, cause if they take action , repercusion will follow, quick! so my loves boss decided no longer to do business with these schools, cause its just to dangerous. these are only 15-16 year olds, they're out of control... and a lot of them will end up in prison.

its just the truth nazh. cause i'm not a racist and i will give the same changes to anyone i meet. i was always the one to defend them, but these boys make it very clear they don respect us. they say all belgian girls are whores and don diserve respect. and i know muslims, 2 of my coussins date/ maried a marrocan girl (who was rejected by her own family afterwards, btw) and i think these are sweet lovely girls.
but believe me, there are a lot of angry muslims... its not fake, nazh.

and i wont claim they don have reasons to be angry, but many of them, who live here, have never lost someone to the war, they were born here, their family lives her for generations. they came here from turky, morocco, armenia....

I agree this is incredibly offensive, stupid, tasteless, mindless and will just invoke angry and violent outbursts and feed the animal furies of radical boobs who are just looking for any pretext at all to rampage and kill (not that they really need a pretext, though).

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton asked journalists to please exercise wise sensibilities and not give this freaky-hater American religious kook a platform by covering his act. But I guess these fine, upstanding and tasteful "journalists," hard-up for a career fix, chose not to listen.

Both the freaky reverend and the journalists are covered by the first amendment--freedom of speech.

I respect their rights.

But they are, nonetheless, anti-social opportunists of the lowest caliber.

I agree this is incredibly offensive, stupid, tasteless, mindless and will just invoke angry and violent outbursts and feed the animal furies of radical boobs who are just looking for any pretext at all to rampage and kill (not that they really need a pretext, though).

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton asked journalists to please exercise wise sensibilities and not give this freaky-hater American religious kook a platform by covering his act. But I guess these fine, upstanding and tasteful "journalists," hard-up for a career fix, chose not to listen. 

Both the freaky reverend and the journalists are covered by the first amendment--freedom of speech. 

I respect their right. And I want to protect their rights.

But they are, nonetheless, anti-social opportunists of the lowest caliber.

Ok, here I go

I don't believe a thing

The world trade center was imploted by the US gov itself, the rest were fantasy stories, excuses

Poor Iraq, why, with the stupid excuse, they only wanted their oil for free, and war is such a huge business.

if you buy and produce so many guns, then, you have to use it, you have to justify the money

Afganistan was invaded seriously, while Iraq was invaded just to capt attention from all of stupid us.

Out from under your beds, stop helping God across the road like a litle old lady

It's a big lie, and aparently the lie continues...

All we need is litle spark, to start the biggest fire

I don't believe in the images of arab people protesting against this, probably, they even know about

Watch out, this could be dangerous, don't let them....

You make some very interesting points, Nazhira.......i agree that war is looked at as a profitable enterprise by those who wish to remain in control and spread fear. I trust no government. People, as you say.....deep down..are all the same. These layers upon layers of lies that accumulate over the days...years.....centuries....they will eventually destroy the world. And they will keep us from truly living as brothers and sisters, worldwide.

Actually, this situation was much worse than Barbara's account conveys.  The cartoons were of the Prophet Mohammad, which the religion does not allow to be depicted.  And they sparked murderous riots around the world.  Many people died as a result.  The German Chancellor has awarded him for his efforts to "defend democratic principles" and the freedom of speech and expression.

And, my memory may be cloudy now, but I think as early as this past January, somebody tried to break into the home of the cartoonist with a shovel and bludgeon him and his granddaughter to death.  They hid in a panic room to survive.  I should really check that to make sure I have my facts straight.  But a quick google news search did not readily turn up the articles.  Tomorrow I will put more effort into finding the right combination of key words and correct myself here if I got it wrong.  Good night.

Yeah..we all know what U2 song this relates too!! Where is the love??!

Regardless of how hateful and malevolently irresponsible I findthis act, I also cannot avoid focusing my attention on the question this book-burning pastoris trying to bait, which is:  what are societies to think and do aboutthose who feel a religious book burning or a cartoon are justifiable grounds for murder? And, should we be self-censoring in an effort to appease such fanaticsand protect ourselves from them?  

[quote name='U2LAWoman wrote:

Zhivvy']I know that there are many articles all over the news about this - this is just one of them.

@ LAWoman, is this pastor of the christian church leading by example?

@Peter, he is protected by the first amendment, so he has the right to do this.

Question: just because something is legal, does that mean its right to do?

Vision over Visability: IMO, means that you can see the potential in something before it exists.

If he had VOV, then he could see the consequences of his actions and foresee that it could jepordize the safety of others.

He could see this was not in the best interest of others, although it was his right.

so out of love and care for others, then, he would refrain from taking this action.-bc it would harm others.

this is also known as having good judgement, dont you think?

Peter, I'm all for freedom of speech too, but expressing yourself when you live with millions of others on this planet, I think you should exercise some restraint or rather, good taste, moral judgement, kindness and consideration.

what are the ramifications of your action.....moms would say, "think before you act"....

this action is his right, yes, but it will just incite more violence....so then, is it right to do??

that is the question.

@security--no, I dont really want to go around censoring myself, yet sometimes its a good thing to figuratively bite your tongue!!

IMO, if youre unsure of taking an action, educate yourself on the issue, weigh all sides and shades of grey...reflect upon it, pray, meditate, ask for advice....but dont just act rashly or worse, selfishly...

obviously, he cares only about himself

Let those who are for peace speaklouder than those who want to kill.

[quote name='xtraspicy62 wrote:

U2LAWoman wrote:

Zhivvy']I know that there are many articles all over the news about this - this is just one of them.

Vision over Visability: IMO, means that you can see the potential in something before it exists.

If he had VOV, then he could see the consequences of his actions and foresee that it could jepordize the safety of others.

He could see this was not in the best interest of others, although it was his right.

so out of love and care for others, then, he would refrain from taking this action.-bc it would harm others.

Peter, I'm all for freedom of speech too, but expressing yourself when you live with millions of others on this planet, I think you should exercise some restraint or rather, good taste, moral judgement, kindness and consideration.

what are the ramifications of your action.....moms would say, "think before you act"....

this action is his right, yes, but it will just incite more violence....so then, is it right to do??

that is the question.

@security--no, I dont really want to go around censoring myself, yet sometimes its a good thing to figuratively bite your tongue!!

IMO, if youre unsure of taking an action, educate yourself on the issue, weigh all sides and shades of grey...reflect upon it, pray, meditate, ask for advice....but dont just act rashly or worse, selfishly...

Let those who are for peace speak louder than those who want to kill.

At the moment this man's brain!

It is Ramadan at the moment

This is like followers of Isalam burning the bible during lent

True followers of Islam do not believe in violence as retribution and they will be as appalled as we are at the repercssions of this act

Way to fuel the flames of intolerance and predjudism. 

I think President Obama should step in

Actually does anyone know how we could petition President Obama and ask him to stop this as it is not a christian thing to do.

Bad for the environment as well

The burning of trees for no reason for that is what books are made from and this is not recycling.

Shame we can't get all the religions of the world and re-cycle them so that only the best bits are left.

Anyway it is supposed to be Love thy neighbour not strike fear into his heart

and if you can't love your neighbour then at least appreciate him and respect him for without him your life would be very boring indeed.

And going back to the other thread about the journalist who got peed on maybe everyone should take water pistols and put out this flame before it even starts or I seriously pray and hope that the angels themselves cover this fire with clouds and rain constantly on his parade.

Actually the flood waters may just have got to New York by the time this happens.

[quote name='shirley2010 wrote:

xtraspicy62 wrote:

U2LAWoman wrote:

that is the question.

Let those who are for peace speak louder than those who want to kill.

At the moment this man's brain!

It is Ramadan at the moment

This is like followers of Isalam burning the bible during lent

True followers of Islam do not believe in violence as retribution and they will be as appalled as we are at the repercssions of this act

Way to fuel the flames of intolerance and predjudism. 

I think President Obama should step in

Actually does anyone know how we could petition President Obama and ask him to stop this as it is not a christian thing to do.

Bad for the environment as well

The burning of trees for no reason for that is what books are made from and this is not recycling.

Shame we can't get all the religions of the world and re-cycle them so that only the best bits are left.

Anyway it is supposed to be Love thy neighbour not strike fear into his heart

and if you can't love your neighbour then at least appreciate him and respect him for without him your life would be very boring indeed.

And going back to the other thread about the journalist who got peed on maybe everyone should take water pistols and put out this flame before it even starts or I seriously pray and hope that the angels themselves cover this fire with clouds and rain constantly on his parade.

Actually the flood waters may just have got to New York by the time this happens.

shirley, if we intervened on his right to free speech, dont you know we would be arrested? but legally we could picket the area...

the funny bone in me is thinking silly thoughts however, of showing up in daisy dukes, haltertops, and firemens boots and suspenders, and large fire hoses and squirting water all over the whole thing, maybe even foam, LOL!!roll.gif

I agree that the journalists should have just ignored what was going on with this man, but journalists will write anything to get their papers sold.

Naz, Barbara is right that there are a lot of angry radical muslims around in this world who will become a suicide bomber and kill themselves and others in their 'belief' - as they have been brainwashed by those around them. I used to work in a predominately muslim school and could see this happening to the young boys in my classes from a young age. Which made me sad, they did not understand as were too young and this radicalism gives the true muslim faith - one of peace and love a bad name. And it is these people who are going to be hurt by this man's actions. The radicals will just see it as an excuse to be violent to others. But I know what you mean that they are people who are confused etc... But we have to admit that in every religion there are the radicals who use relgion as an excuse to be violent - and these are the ones we are labeling as angry, not normal peaceful people who feel the frustrations of living in a war torn dangerous country.

The invasion of Iraq, i believe, as many of us do, was for profit - and would not have happened if it was in a country with no oil.