Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

security_in_anonymity

"Black is Black" censored???

Ok....I am sure there is someone here who is in possession of a piece of information that will make this following missive understandable.  I hope!  laugh.gif

I enjoy following the setlists and always pay attention to the "snippets," since there are often songs I do not know included.  Last night, the song "Black is Black" was included with "Mysterious Ways."  I looked up the lyrics, and then I checked the song's wiki page.  According to that, this song was on a suggested censor-list by Clear Channel broadcasting group in the US following 9/11.  

I cannot imagine that this is true, because I cannot for the life of me imagine what in the song would prompt a concern over "questionable lyrics."  Does anyone have any idea what this is about?

Here is what the wiki said: 

"Shortly after the September 11, 2001 attacks, American media conglomerate company Clear Channel Communications distributed the 2001 Clear Channel memorandum to program directors at the more than 1000 radio stations the company owned.[11] The memo contained a list of 162 songs with "questionable lyrics" that the stations should avoid playing.[11] "Black Is Black" was among the songs on the list.[11]

And here are the lyrics:

Black is black

I want my baby back

It's gray, it's gray

Since she went away, Ooh-Ooh

What can I do

'Cause I-I-I-I-I'm feelin' blue

If I had my way

She'd be back today

But she don't intend

To see me again, Ooh-Ooh

What can I do

I can't choose

It's too much to lose

My love's too strong

Wow! Maybe if she

would come back to me

Then it can't go wrong

Bad is bad

That I feel so sad

It's time, it's time

That I found peace of mind, Ooh-Ooh

What can I do

I can't choose

It's too much to lose

My love's too strong

Wow! Maybe if she

would come back to me

Then it can't go wrong

Black is black

I want my baby back

It's gray, it's gray

What can I do

I suppose I should look up and see what the other 161 censor-worthy songs were.....

Assuming such a list even existed.  Wikipedia is not really an authority on much at all.

keep us informed, security , cause would like to know bout the other songs too. cant imagine why this particular song is banned.... or why an american radio-organisation would make up a list like that?

It looks like a misguided attempt to spare people more pain after the events of 9/11. The list isn't a banned list. It was a list of songs that Clear Channel said that it's radio stations should avoid. I don't think the list is still in use. There are a number of Clear Channel radio stations in the area I live in, and I've heard a number of those songs played on those stations since 9/11. 

Clear Channel, the worst thing to happen to Amercian radio. I think it's secretly run by the extreme right wing of the Republican party or something.

It looks like a misguided attempt to spare people more pain after the events of 9/11. The list isn't a banned list. It was a list of songs that Clear Channel said that it's radio stations should avoid. I don't think the list is still in use. There are a number of Clear Channel radio stations in the area I live in, and I've heard a number of those songs played on those stations since 9/11. 
you have the list then, jenny?

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:

jbarnych']It looks like a misguided attempt to spare people more pain after the events of 9/11. The list isn't a banned list. It was a list of songs that Clear Channel said that it's radio stations should avoid. I don't think the list is still in use. There are a number of Clear Channel radio stations in the area I live in, and I've heard a number of those songs played on those stations since 9/11. 

you have the list then, jenny?

Here's a link to an article with the list: http://www.slate.com/id/1008314/

For the record, the list was made by 1 guy in (I believe) San Diego and he passed it around and it was attributed to his employer (Clear Channel)

i could understand how some songs/lyrics would have been a little insensitive to be played for the victims and their loved ones... especially the ones with a reference to fire/flames in the title (i'm on fire -the boss) and songs about killing or violence (seek and destroy, speed kills)  and reference to planes and flying in general.

list also includes songs about dying ....

but: bridge over troubled water? another one bites the dust? love is a battlefield? in the air tonite? ohbladi oblada?

its weird.

Ah, I understand now.  This is about sensitivity to emotional wounds.  That makes sense--sort of.  My initial impression was that the list-maker was seeking to quiet allegedly sabatorial sentiments, and I just could not detect anything sabatorial in "Black is Black."  I understand now.

Although, I am not sure about silencing art and music.  Especially in times of heartache.  It is, above all, the role and responsibility of the artist to give voice, meaning and context to our most deeply experienced thoughts and feelings, after all.

And thanks for the "on the record" clarification about who really is responsible for the list, Baja.  I knew there had to be a piece of helpful info on this out there somewhere.

Ok....I am sure there is someone here who is in possession of a piece of information that will make this following missive understandable.  I hope!  laugh.gif

I enjoy following the setlists and always pay attention to the "snippets," since there are often songs I do not know included.  Last night, the song "Black is Black" was included with "Mysterious Ways."  I looked up the lyrics, and then I checked the song's wiki page.  According to that, this song was on a suggested censor-list by Clear Channel broadcasting group in the US following 9/11.  

I cannot imagine that this is true, because I cannot for the life of me imagine what in the song would prompt a concern over "questionable lyrics."  Does anyone have any idea what this is about?

Here is what the wiki said: 

"Shortly after the September 11, 2001 attacks, American media conglomerate company Clear Channel Communications distributed the 2001 Clear Channel memorandum to program directors at the more than 1000 radio stations the company owned.[11] The memo contained a list of 162 songs with "questionable lyrics" that the stations should avoid playing.[11] "Black Is Black" was among the songs on the list.[11]

And here are the lyrics:

Black is black

I want my baby back

It's gray, it's gray

What can I do

If I had my way

She'd be back today

But she don't intend

To see me again, Ooh-Ooh

What can I do

I can't choose

It's too much to lose

My love's too strong

Wow! Maybe if she

would come back to me

Then it can't go wrong

Bad is bad

That I feel so sad

It's time, it's time

That I found peace of mind, Ooh-Ooh

What can I do

I can't choose

It's too much to lose

My love's too strong

Wow! Maybe if she

would come back to me

Then it can't go wrong

Black is black

I want my baby back

It's gray, it's gray

What can I do

I suppose I should look up and see what the other 161 censor-worthy songs were.....

Assuming such a list even existed.  Wikipedia is not really an authority on much at all.

This is a disco song from the 70's I remember it well (showing my age there).  What's next? dj's banned from playing songs about rain when the weather's bad!!!!rolleyes.gif