Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

security_in_anonymity

Jon Stewart's "Rally for Sanity" in DC (signs and photos)

From Forbes 4 November:

"WASHINGTON -- Barely an hour after President Barack Obama invited congressional Republicans to post-election talks to work together on major issues, the Senate's GOP leader [Mitch McConnell] had a blunt message: His party's main goal is denying Obama re-election."

Geeeezzzzz, some people just cannot learn!  Well, the constituency on the Mall last weekend will punish that attitude too....

From Forbes 4 November:

"WASHINGTON -- Barely an hour after President Barack Obama invited congressional Republicans to post-election talks to work together on major issues, the Senate's GOP leader [Mitch McConnell] had a blunt message: His party's main goal is denying Obama re-election."

Geeeezzzzz, some people just cannot learn!  Well, the constituency on the Mall last weekend will punish that attitude too....
and yet people VOTE for them.....  how can you vote for that kind of obnoxious attitude????????  

From Forbes 4 November:

and yet people VOTE for them.....  how can you vote for that kind of obnoxious attitude????????  

Well, again, the obnoxiousness is on both sides....
I have encountered equal measures of ugliness from the democrats.  
Extremism engenders thugs.  Period.
I doubt you'll agree with me....  but I have decided that Obama's motivations are clearly more to my liking than the motivations of the opposing party.  I don't extend this to all democrats.  But I have come to believe that the republicans are motivated by a personal greed that has no regard for the welfare of the general population (other than how they can be used for profit),,,,,  and I cannot wrap my mind around how so many people are unable to see through this , when they are the very people who are being used..........

[quote name='nikki1120 wrote:

security_in_anonymity']Well, again, the obnoxiousness is on both sides....

I doubt you'll agree with me....  but I have decided that Obama's motivations are clearly more to my liking than the motivations of the opposing party.  I don't extend this to all democrats.  But I have come to believe that the republicans are motivated by a personal greed that has no regard for the welfare of the general population (other than how they can be used for profit),,,,,  and I cannot wrap my mind around how so many people are unable to see through this , when they are the very people who are being used..........

I don't disagree with you, Nikki.  I too prefer a progressive agenda.  And I do not hold the Presidents responsible for the political climate--it is bigger than them and completely dysfunctional.  Although, leadership sets the tone

I cannot help but wonder if a stronger executive might not temper these furies somewhat?  This is a complex political science and political leadership question that I would have to spend more time thinking about before I could confidently weigh in with an opinion.  It is very possible that there is no way to correct this problem within our existing system.  I just read  editorials by people on both sides of the political aisle here in DC who argued that partisanship is the only thing protecting democracy and called for more of it!

The extremes of both political parties have commanded the leadership positions--there are NO moderates in Congress.  Well, maybe one or two (literally)--if they even survived this election.  I have not checked.

The entire government is mired in partisan warfare, and it is sucking the whole country down into its maelstrom--it feels like Israel/Palestine on some days (scratch that...most days) here in the capitol.

And I cannot bring myself to ascribe loyalty to either extreme.  And it appears that I am not going to be allowed to work unless I do so.

Something that I always appreciated about the lobby work that Bono does is that--most of the time and with only a few flukes--he has really tried to work in a bi-partisan fashion with his appeals to our congress regarding the eradication of extreme poverty.  And his group has been fairly successful.  He has more leeway to work since he is not an American. 

Although, just as the Presidents' efforts have been hijacked by extremes in their parties, the ONE campaign,  at the activist level, had clearly been hijacked by the liberal extremes in this country a few years ago, which seized on this movement as a vehicle of opposition against Bush during the election season, even though Bono and crew were making some substantive inroads with the cooperation of Bush and the republicans in Congress.  Bono allowed himself to be co-opted by this dynamic early on, but I think the ONE campaign has gotten a handle on this now.  It appears so.  I have first-hand experience with genuine liberal thugs hiding behind Bono and the ONE campaign to wreak their ideological vigilantism.  And I have received it from conservative thugs, as well, who considered my interest in the ONE campaign justified cause for attack. What is truly ridiculous is that I am really nobody significant right now....just a woman trying to make a positive difference while making my way through the world.

Jon Stewart is also appealing to a centrist sensibility.  Both of these entertainers garner more qualified loyalty from me than any  political leader.  I say "qualified loyalty" only because I do not follow anyone or anything, blindly.

I don't disagree with you, Nikki.  I too prefer a progressive agenda.  And I do not hold the Presidents responsible for the political climate--it is bigger than them and completely dysfunctional.  Although, leadership sets the tone

I cannot help but wonder if a stronger executive might not temper these furies somewhat?  This is a complex political science and political leadership question that I would have to spend more time thinking about before I could confidently weigh in with an opinion.  It is very possible that there is no way to correct this problem within our existing system.  I just read  editorials by people on both sides of the political aisle here in DC who argued that partisanship is the only thing protecting democracy and called for more of it!

The extremes of both political parties have commanded the leadership positions--there are NO moderates in Congress.  Well, maybe one or two (literally)--if they even survived this election.  I have not checked.

The entire government is mired in partisan warfare, and it is sucking the whole country down into its maelstrom--it feels like Israel/Palestine on some days (scratch that...most days) here in the capitol.

And I cannot bring myself to ascribe loyalty to either extreme.  And it appears that I am not going to be allowed to work unless I do so.

Something that I always appreciated about the lobby work that Bono does is that--most of the time and with only a few flukes--he has really tried to work in a bi-partisan fashion with his appeals to our congress regarding the eradication of extreme poverty.  And his group has been fairly successful.  He has more leeway to work since he is not an American. 

Although, just as the Presidents' efforts have been hijacked by extremes in their parties, the ONE campaign,  at the activist level, had clearly been hijacked by the liberal extremes in this country a few years ago, which seized on this movement as a vehicle of opposition against Bush during the election season, even though Bono and crew were making some substantive inroads with the cooperation of Bush and the republicans in Congress.  Bono allowed himself to be co-opted by this dynamic early on, but I think the ONE campaign has gotten a handle on this now.  It appears so.  I have first-hand experience with genuine liberal thugs hiding behind Bono and the ONE campaign to wreak their ideological vigilantism.  And I have received it from conservative thugs, as well, who considered my interest in the ONE campaign justified cause for attack. What is truly ridiculous is that I am really nobody significant right now....just a woman trying to make a positive difference while making my way through the world.

Jon Stewart is also appealing to a centrist sensibility.  Both of these entertainers garner more qualified loyalty from me than any  political leader.  I say "qualified loyalty" only because I do not follow anyone or anything, blindly.

If Bono is really worried about being relevant in America right now, he might consider accentuating the middle way.  I am sure there must be things in the Bible to draw from to support this, since that is his ilk.  I prefer Aristotle's Golden Mean.  Or Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle. But I will support the message any way it is delivered.  

If Bono is really worried about being relevant in America right now, he might consider accentuating the middle way.  I am sure there must be things in the Bible to draw from to support this, since that is his ilk.  I prefer Aristotle's Golden Mean.  Or Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle. But I will support the message any way it is delivered.