Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

security_in_anonymity

Jon Stewart's "Rally for Sanity" in DC (signs and photos)

I agree, Nikki. He did well with the politics, actually. The comedy show itself was a bit weak, but this does not matter as much.

I am willing to bet another year of unemployment that "Washington" and "the media" will miss the significance of and dismiss, this event. And it will take more time for the dynamics to grow to the point where it pops them dead in the upper lip so that they cannot ignore it any longer.

Jon Stewart cannot be (and does not appear to want to be) the serious "leader" of those sharing this will toward civility and moderation--but someone will, certainly, emerge.. Maybe by 2012 but  likely by 2014. Unless there really is a tempering within the existing systems. But, I doubt this and seriously suspect a good, hard pop in the lip is what will be required to get the message through. 

Humor and satire-- as an effort to express what is really a very noxious and growing discontent-- is just a first, good-natured effort by a representative majority, and it is sure to be lost in the swirl of insane political and media egos currently "in charge."    Boy, for a bunch of very smart people, as a group these can be pretty damn daft.... Seriously.

Boy, for a bunch of very smart people, as a group they can be pretty damn daft.... Seriously.

which seems to translate to INEFFECTIVE in getting our own message out there........ 

Boy, for a bunch of very smart people, as a group they can be pretty damn daft.... Seriously.
which seems to translate to INEFFECTIVE in getting our own message out there........ 
I guess we are working on it  wink.gif This is certainly a good start....  

You guys know who Waldo is, right?  The character who is hidden somewhere in illustrated chaotic crowd scenes?  Someone was dressed as Waldo at the rally, and the crowd picked him up out of the mass and passed him hand-over-head all the way to the stage.  

This is how I imagine the much-needed charismatic and moderate leader, perfectly representative of the 80% moderate and unrepresented majority in the US, will emerge...eventually.  It will happen something like that.

where-waldo.jpgwheres-waldo1.jpg

You guys know who Waldo is, right?  The character who is hidden somewhere in illustrated chaotic crowd scenes?  Someone was dressed as Waldo at the rally, and the crowd picked him up out of the mass and passed him hand-over-head all the way to the stage.  

This is how I imagine the much-needed charismatic and moderate leader, perfectly representative of the 80% moderate and unrepresented majority in the US, will emerge...eventually.  It will happen something like that.

embarassed.gif laugh.gif I am not trying to make you jealous!  But it was very cool. tongue.gif

Amidst the comedy, Stewart also said a few sincere words--hear them here:

Nice speech, loved his car and traffic analogy, so true.  So, when is Jon going to run for an office of some sort...LOL.

the traffic analogy is priceless...  makes such a profound point so simply...

i hope the significance of this isn't lost......it needs to be followed up with more of the same.....

I heard his commnts at the end live....truth.....

i hope the significance of this isn't lost......it needs to be followed up with more of the same.....

Maybe we need a "Zootopians for Sanity" movement happy.gif

Most of the major news organizations, including NPR, decided ahead of time that this is just comedy and not "news," and forbid their staff from attending the rally.  Steward awarded them all "fear medals."

One cannot help but wonder if they--after the fact--have the sensibility and character to feel a bit of chagrin?  Since when does 1/4 million people showing up on the National Mall NOT constitute news?

As an aside, I hope that everyone recalls that progressives were painting Hitler mustaches on President Bush and the Republicans a few years ago, just as current conservative furies are now painting them on Obama and the Democrats.

What I hope does NOT get lost is that this was a show of opposition to mindless, ugly radicalism and a lack of intelligent civility,  regardless of who is practicing it.  I have been reading the media reports, and in many, this sensibility does not show up at all--the rally, itself, is becoming a tool of partisan backstabbing for many.  

If these next two years with a mixed Congress produces a more functional environment, then we can conclude that the much-needed course correction has been made.  But it is just as likely--if not  more so--that the next two years will see an increase in rancor and gridlock.  If this happens, then the  next rally will likely not be so good-natured and, um,  CIVIL!

Most of the major news organizations, including NPR, decided ahead of time that this is just comedy and not "news," and forbid their staff from attending the rally.  Steward awarded them all "fear medals."

One cannot help but wonder if they--after the fact--have the sensibility and character to feel a bit of chagrin?  Since when does 1/4 million people showing up on the National Mall NOT constitute news?

As an aside, I hope that everyone recalls that progressives were painting Hitler mustaches on President Bush and the Republicans a few years ago, just as current conservative furies are now painting them on Obama and the Democrats.

What I hope does NOT get lost is that this was a show of opposition to mindless, ugly radicalism and a lack of intelligent civility,  regardless of who is practicing it.  I have been reading the media reports, and in many, this sensibility does not show up at all--the rally, itself, is becoming a tool of partisan backstabbing for many.  

If these next two years with a mixed Congress produces a more functional environment, then we can conclude that the much-needed course correction has been made.  But it is just as likely--if not  more so--that the next two years will see an increase in rancor and gridlock.  If this happens, then the  next rally will likely not be so good-natured and, um,  CIVIL!