Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

security_in_anonymity

Jon Stewart's "Rally for Sanity" in DC (signs and photos)

[quote name='security_in_anonymity wrote:

petermullen']i hope the significance of this isn't lost......it needs to be followed up with more of the same.....

I heard his commnts at the end live....truth.....

Maybe we need a "Zootopians for Sanity" movement happy.gif

Most of the major news organizations, including NPR, decided ahead of time that this is just comedy and not "news," and forbid their staff from attending the rally.  Steward awarded them all "fear medals."

One cannot help but wonder if they--after the fact--have the sensibility and character to feel a bit of chagrin?  Since when does 1/4 million people showing up on the National Mall NOT constitute news?

As an aside, I hope that everyone recalls that progressives were painting Hitler mustaches on President Bush and the Republicans a few years ago, just as current conservative furies are now painting them on Obama and the Democrats.

What I hope does NOT get lost is that this was a show of opposition to mindless, ugly radicalism and a lack of intelligent civility,  regardless of who is practicing it.  I have been reading the media reports, and in many, this sensibility does not show up at all--the rally, itself, is becoming a tool of partisan backstabbing for many.  

If these next two years with a mixed Congress produces a more functional environment, then we can conclude that the much-needed course correction has been made.  But it is just as likely--if not  more so--that the next two years will see an increase in rancor and gridlock.  If this happens, then the  next rally will likely not be so good-natured and, um,  CIVIL!

exactly......as Monty Python would have said...'what a givaway'.....to the fact that the media failed to cover this appropriately...

I have been thinking about what the next step might need to be if the next two years do not produce more bi-partisan problem-solving.  

The vast majority of the US population is dissatisfied with both parties.  I wonder if a general boycott of the 2012 national elections would be in order?  Is there a minimum percentage of the population that has to vote in order for an election to even be considered legitimate?  Have we ever had a collapse of the system due to voter boycott?  I need to research.

I am hoping for a more functional and effective environment from now until 2012.  But I would probably join a national election boycott if that proved to be the last, possible option for action.  As a confirmed moderate in Washington, I get the nasty ideological thug-sh_t from both sides and am shut out of everything, so I find it hard to support either side.  Apparently, there are millions upon millions more like me out there in the country.

I have been thinking about what the next step might need to be if the next two years do not produce more bi-partisan problem-solving.  

The vast majority of the US population is dissatisfied with both parties.  I wonder if a general boycott of the 2012 national elections would be in order?  Is there a minimum percentage of the population that has to vote in order for an election to even be considered legitimate?  Have we ever had a collapse of the system due to voter boycott?  I need to research.

I am hoping for a more functional and effective environment from now until 2012.  But I would probably join a national election boycott if that proved to be the last, possible option for action.  As a confirmed moderate in Washington, I get the nasty ideological thug-sh_t from both sides and am shut out of everything, so I find it hard to support either side.  Apparently, there are millions upon millions more like me out there in the country.

From Forbes 4 November:

"WASHINGTON -- Barely an hour after President Barack Obama invited congressional Republicans to post-election talks to work together on major issues, the Senate's GOP leader [Mitch McConnell] had a blunt message: His party's main goal is denying Obama re-election."

Geeeezzzzz, some people just cannot learn!  Well, the constituency on the Mall last weekend will punish that attitude too....

From Forbes 4 November:

"WASHINGTON -- Barely an hour after President Barack Obama invited congressional Republicans to post-election talks to work together on major issues, the Senate's GOP leader [Mitch McConnell] had a blunt message: His party's main goal is denying Obama re-election."

Geeeezzzzz, some people just cannot learn!  Well, the constituency on the Mall last weekend will punish that attitude too....