Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

barbara1

my (little) home town.

december is the month zootops use to exchange adresses.all those different names of town, provences...

i was thinking that maybe in this thread we can show eachother where we live, outside from this zoo? 

Sint-Truiden.GIF

in the west you see the north-sea, which seperates us from UK. in the north our neighbour the netherlands, in the east we have germany and luxemburg and in the south france.
the red line in the middle of our country separates the dutch from the french speaking part. you see my town is closest to germany and very close to the frenchspeaking part.

I'm curious then Barbara....  which languages do you speak?  Dutch is the language of your little town?  And being so close to so many other language speaking areas, are many people multi lingual??

I only ask because I think I am a little language envious....  bored.gif.  Here in the U.S. we are not exposed to different languages (at least we weren't as children, now I'm around many people who speak Spanish)...  and I so regret not learning another language in school.... I'm trying to pick up a little Spanish...  but it is slow going! 

markt.jpg

this is our marketplace, my parents house is 2 blocks away. so as a kid i walked here every day.
the yellow building is the main church of this town. the orange building is our city-hall (which for some ridiculous reason got painted orange some years ago....mad.gif)
you see a third tower in the left, it doesnt have a peak anymore, cause there was a fire more then 30 years ago, and they renovated the tower but made a secured platform at the top where you can enjoy the view over the town.
the marketplace is surrounded with pubs and tearooms.

IMG_6654.JPG 

our region is known for his fruit, apples, pears, cherishes, strawberries. so in springtime when all the trees are blossoming tourists from all over the country and neighbour-countries come to admire the 'snowy' orchards. you can rent vespa's to make a beautiful trip around the farms and orchards.

hi nikki! thanx for paying a visit to my town, lol! we speak dutch, like the entire upper part of the country. but we learn french in school starting at 5th grade elementaryschool: 10year olds. most kids however hate these classes. but as an adult most of us feel sorry we didnt pay more attention in school. our dialect has lots of 'french' words. the more you go to the east, the more german words you find in the dialects.

The pictures are beautiful.........  I definitely want to rent a Vespa and take a lovely tour round!

Swansea.jpg

this is my little town, swansea in south wales. i live between swansea and a village called mumbles. AND its not far from edges hometown llanelli! 

MumblesLighthouse2.jpg

Trudo_885Trudo.jpg.h380.jpg.568.jpg

its been renovated to make it bigger and more adapt to modern standards for the last 3 years. and should be ready in 1 more year. they had to breakdown the old part in 2 steps, cause you cant put units, beds, patients on the street, can you? so its not that easy, units were moved several times. this is a recent picture. the right part of the hospital is already finished.
i work in the building you see on the left side of the picture,behind the part thats taken down. our unit is on the 3rd floor.

nieuwe%20vleugel.JPG

here you see the middle part which was finished last year.

Very Beautiful Dizzy!!

I have come across references to Swansea before, and was always curious.......

Our hospital has been under renovation and new construction too, Barbara...  it is complicated what with relocating units and beds until the new spaces are completed.  We keep hoping our little pediatric unit will be rebuilt...  but so far it is in the plan for long after I retire!! 

thank you! what do you do in the hospital barbara? this is in the center of swansea the castle underneath is in mumbles! its a great place to live but there are areas which are really run down and you wouldnt want to go there if you can help it!

we like rugby and going to the pub, preferably at the same time and catherine zeta jones comes from here too! great surf in neighbouring gower. we are not english and have our own language (not many speak it) and flag. (that gets us setlists and acknowledged by paul mcguiness!

p267842-Swansea-Swansea_castle.jpgmumbles_1general.jpg

#4317359-The_Mumbles-The_Mumbles.jpg

thats mumbles aka oystermouth!

wikimedia-org-flag-of-wales-2009-02-09_203253_wales-flag-l.jpg

sorry to hear that , nikki. cause it isnt easy to do your work when accomodation is outdated. our unit is in the part builded 6 years ago, that was always refered to as the new part. but when we see the rooms and accomodation in the recently finished units, ours suddenly doesnt look that modern anymore.

So beautiful!  And looks like so much history is right there in your midst........  Would love to travel there to see and experience it all.......

We have had the same experience Barbara...  our unit had a basic redecorating some years ago, but then they built a new tower and the facilities there are amazing.......  our little unit has personality and coziness tho (ha ha, that is just what we tell ourselves!)

So beautiful!  And looks like so much history is right there in your midst........  Would love to travel there to see and experience it all.......

We have had the same experience Barbara...  our unit had a basic redecorating some years ago, but then they built a new tower and the facilities there are amazing.......  our little unit has personality and coziness tho (ha ha, that is just what we tell ourselves!)

come and visit! wheres your pics nikki1120??

really, really amazing pics, sandra! and mr morgan will be so happy to see his welsh dragon-flag on this site! lol!

i work as a nurse on the oncology&lungdisease-unit for 5 years now.
btw, once nikki starts to post pics, i'm gonna be soooooo jealous again. i still have the photobook on my bedside-table....

Great pics, very beautiful! And interestin thread, thanks Barbarasmile.gif

I live in Helsinki, Finland.

Here is couple of summer and winter -pics... I try to find better ones later! (sorry that the pics are so big, i couldn't resize them...) The winter pics are about 1 km from my home.

first hole in the ice for swimmers....

019.jpg

857-1.jpg

841.jpg

This pic is from cute little island in front of Helsinki

017.jpg

thanx, kert! so beautiful. my son is very surprised you go swimming in middle of winter, lol! and that you don have snow in summer.

hope more zootops come to share pics herehappy.gif

worthing_map1.jpg

staticmap?size=308x200&sensor=false&key=ABQIAAAAqX_vz73Mb1hFWL_HTV3w8BSoNGp7hF3N94khsu-q9lMaZv9nSRTsLH4iTQW1aQQI2PXYVXxR8lthww&markers=color:orange%7C50.809118,-0.380825&zoom=13

_44481981_worthingtimber_416.jpg

2712751580089682617hzvSfs_ph.jpg

I'm at the bottom of England.. place called Worthing...a stone or two from Brighton...Mr Bono was I think 20000 with Tony Blair at something or other. Town centre  on a sunnt day . Boat passed by last winter lost all it's timber landed on beach..Welcome to Worthing.