Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Voxare

On stage with Bono

I don't want to seem like I'm bragging - I've been asked to share my story and I would love to.

To tell the full story (and show just how lucky it was that I was even there) I should start when the Aussie tour dates were first announced and I knew I would see them in Melbourne but I really wanted to go to Perth as well and desperately tried to convince friends to come with me but no one was willing to spend that kind of money so I tried to be content with just the two Melbourne shows.

I had Red Zone for the first Melbourne show and I was so excited because I hadn't seen the boys since their last show in Melbourne in 2006. The show was awesome - highlight for me was Mercy which I had never listened to before.

Second Melbourne show I was supposed to be lining up early with a friend because I wanted to get as close to the front as possible. My friend told me at 10pm the night before that she didn't want to line up anymore. I was really nervous about going to a concert by myself but in the end I decided it would be worth it once I was in the stadium so close to the band that I loved. By doing this I found out just how awesome U2 fans are (something which I had suspected for a while!) people were so friendly and welcoming and it was better being on my own because I am normally a pretty shy person but being on my own forced me to talk to new people and I had a great day and a great concert (managed to get on the barrier around Adam's side - my first time ever on a barrier and it was the so much fun!!). I also remember seeing the girls he pulled up on stage and thinking - he always picks the really good looking girls - I wish I was georgeous South American just so he would pick me :)

Walking out of that concert it was already in my head that I couldn't wait another 4 (at least) years until the boys came back to see them again. Since I'd had such a great experience in the GA line on my own I decided that I could do the Perth shows on my own. So the next day I went a bought tickets, flights and accommodation (which my friends and family thought was a bit insane) and started counting down to Perth!!

My GA line up experience in Perth was even better than in Melbourne. I met so many amazing people, got to help out with the numbering system in the line which was again good for me with my shyness because it meant I had to talk to all the newcomers to the line. I was number 18 in line and I remember that slight nervous feeling before the gates opened thinking 'I hope I get where I want, I hope lots of people don't run past me on the way in'. I needn't have worried. The security did an awesome job, I got in the the centre on the front rail. Right in front of Bono. I remember standing there just after we got in thinking - it was all worth it to get this spot! The guys were looking around trying to figure out who would get pulled up on stage because he normally chose from a bit to the left and I was thinking how amazing that would be to be that girl.

The show started - it was amazing - Bono was right in front of me - felt like he was singing to me all the time. We were going crazy on the barrier having so much fun. I still haven't found what I'm looking for was amazing with everyone singing it. I heard North Star live for the first time. Pride was going off!! And we got all of this with Bono right in front of us. And then he started singing In A Little While and he came over to us and he reached down towards me and I was reaching back. In was standing there thinking this is so amazing - he's singing to me - and I was waiting until he would move off down the line and chose who he was going to pull up. But he stayed there, staring straight at me, almost teasing me with the lyrics 'In a little while...'

And then he signalled for me to come up. I think I surprised security at how quickly I jumped the barrier before that had a chance to pull me over and the guys around me were laughing later about how quickly I ran up those stairs. And then I was on stage and Bono was there and I think I was just in shock - it didn't feel real! And in my head I'm thinking 'don't do anything stupid - just play it cool!'

He sat me down and he put his head in my lap and he stared straight at me while he was singing. I remember seeing other girls up on stage and thinking it would be awesome to get up there and see what the crowd looks like from up there but I still have no idea because I couldn't take my eyes away from Bono. I found out later that Adam had been standing right near us when I was sitting down but I never even noticed. I was staring straight and Bono and smiling so much my face was shaking. And then he sat up, still staring straight into my eyes and held the mike over to me and (this is how I'm going to put it anyway) I sang a duet with Bono for those few seconds. He held the mike over for me to sing the refrain the first time and after I sang it he looked at me thoughtfully and said 'wow' and held the mike out to me again. I remember thinking to myself 'I thought I was a terrible singer but if you don't think so then that's cool'.

Then he took my hand and led me over to the bridge and I could hear the crowd yelling but I still couldn't take my eyes off Bono. He pulled me over to dance with him and I thought I could stay like that for hours he felt so comfortable! And then he turned me around to watch the screen for the space station and I was thinking 'I've already seen this, I want to watch you Bono'. One of the guys from the crowd laughed at me later because he saw me snatch a look at Bono while I was suppoed to be watching the screen - I just couldn't help myself smile.gif.

Then he asked my name and kissed my hand and sent me on my way and I was in such a state of shock I think it took me about four songs to actually start paying attention again. I didn't notice this because I was on my way back off the stage but I was told and then saw the video later - he changed the lyric from 'A man dreams one day to fly' to 'Emily dreams one day to fly' - how could I miss that!

Then when I was back in the crowd, still in shock, all the guys around me were trying to show me the awesome pictures and video they took for me and other people in the crowd had to turn me around because Bono was singing Miss Sarajevo to me and I hadn't noticed!!

I spent the rest of the night in a daze with the biggest grin on my face and both Bono and Adam came over and looked at me and laughed. When they were leaving after Walk On Bono blew me a kiss and after Moment of Surrender he waved down to me again.

I think I'm still floating on air. When I first got down I was stanidng there thinking - I'm not sure if that was just real or if I just imagined it - I mean - I have imagined that a lot and it seemed really unlikely that it had actually happened. I'm glad that people have photos and video because otherwise I don't think I would believe it really happened.

On my way out of the stadium I was on my own and had to walk half way around, against the crowd, to get where I wanted to go. I discovered that 60000 people now knew me by name (and probably recognised me by the goofy grin that was still plastered on my face). The next day in the GA line was fantastic as I ran into all these people who had taken photo and video for me and were willing to send it to me. Once again I am struck by how awesome U2 fans are. All the people around me in the concert and that I met later were just so happy and excited for me - it made me feel fantastic.

So - that's my story - so if I waffled on - I am working on about 6 hours sleep over 3 days and currently waiting for an 11pm flight home before I can get any sleep so my brain might not be working as well as it should.

Thankyou again to all the awesome fans out there who I met over the last few days. I really hope to see you again in another line for another concert...

Oh Emily - I went to both Melb, both Syd and both Perth (I made a spur of the moment decision to go after the second Sydney show - I only got a flight and somewhere to stay organised on Thursday). After reading your post I'm so glad it was you and so proud of you!! We had a moment last night when Bono came down under the stage and sang at a small bunch of us. I was shaking just from that. I don't know how you managed to keep it together!!

Daniel.
Cool - it was such a pleasure to meet you Daniel and to share that experience with you! With all of you guys around me it didn't feel like I was going to the show on my own - I had all these fantastic new friends to share it with smile.gif

Oh Emily - I went to both Melb, both Syd and both Perth (I made a spur of the moment decision to go after the second Sydney show - I only got a flight and somewhere to stay organised on Thursday). After reading your post I'm so glad it was you and so proud of you!! We had a moment last night when Bono came down under the stage and sang at a small bunch of us. I was shaking just from that. I don't know how you managed to keep it together!!
Thankyou Nadoo - I'm not sure how I kept it together either - I came off stage and the guys were looking at my hands and saying 'You're not even shaking!' - I think I was just kind of numb.

I'm glad you got a special moment with him - I saw that on the screen and I was wondering where it was happening - very special for you smile.gif

Thanks for sharing your story...very happy for you...cannot imagine what it would have been like...

anyone know who the kids were on Sunday...that was sooo cute

Noooooooooo!3962090723_0b8ca33185_o.jpg

Am gonna come back an re-read your story again later, it has really cheered me up x

I wish this was like facebook and you could 'like' people's posts. I 'like' all of them. You guys are all amazing!!

Hi Emily,

I don't know you but I just want to say WOW!  and well done to you.  What an experience.......it will stay with you forever.  What a fantastic story to tell your kids one day.  I have wanted to be 'the girl' for 21 years now since I first saw them during Lovetown.......think I might be 'too old' now wink.gif.......Such a great story to read.....and you sound so humble which is just gorgeous.  I didn't get to Perth unfortunately but saw them at both Brisbane shows.  15 shows over my life and this has to be the best tour ever. ........but once again...well done and thank you, thank you so much for sharing your story. It warmed my heart to read it.  Cheers.....Karen......

I LOVE LOVE that story Emily.....thanks for sharing. So happy for you!!

Emiy this story is so tearjerking!..with happiness of course!!!!!!!thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifI got shivers reading it through blurry eyes!!!!!!!..Every girls dream you did!!!!!!This is by far the best story I have read!......*CHEERS TO THE LUCKIEST LASSIE ON THIS LEG OF THE TOUR!!!!!!!!*......Thank you so much for sharing this!..and glad you put it here in the free side cos that means EVERYONE can read it!!!!!!!thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif..now I will give other freinds this link!......thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Emily, what a brilliant brilliant brilliant story. I just love how everything came together from waiting so long for the show to come to Australia, to your friend abandoning you and you queueing all by yourself ... deciding to travel to Perth ... overcoming your fear and shyness ... all the way to being brought up to the stage. Stories like that can never be long enough because they're so good.

thank you so much for sharing it with the rest of us. I hope there's some excellent photos and videos out there. You'll treasure this forever, awesome! :-)

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Vox, I am crying!!!  That is such a beautiful story and I am so glad it happened to you!  To someone I have been able to call a friend on the Zoo for the past several years.  Glad it was one of "our girls" from down in the Larry folder.

(of course, part of me is like, "dang her.  She blows up Clone Island and this is what she gets!" tongue02.gif)

Can't wait to see more videos and pictures!

Welcome to a very exclusive club - Perth 21/9/1989.

Cherish the photos. They will forever connect you with the experience.

Even your kids will still think you're cool.

Wish they'd had mobile phones & YouTube in 1989!

I promise you'll still be dining out on your story after 20 years!!

Hi Emily,

we were there, my wife had a tear in her eye when you were on the bridge.

i'm not sure if its cool to link to videos(tell me and i'll delete post), and youve probably seen them all anyway, but found this one.

congrats,

Great story Emily!  So glad you decided to go to the concert by yourself.  My 1st few U2 concerts I went to by myself also but I never felt alone.  Lots of friendly people to talk to.  Now I have met all sorts of "U2 friends" from the GA line and here that I always have people in line that I know..

Emily, i'm so happy for you, what a great experience you've have - going by your own, overcoming your shyness, then meeting those great new people and having fun with them in ga line, awesome gigs and then this lovely moment with Bono. Oh you're so lucky. smile.gif Thank you for sharing this with us!!

I'll come back here and read your story again, 'cause it cheers me up too.

ps. I saw the pics somewhere, and i think you're a pretty girl.smile.gif

Amzing memory to have. Sounds like the cool gods were watching out for you- thank goodness eh!

Any post longer than 3 sentences are i cant be bothered to read,,,

read all of that though, great story!. what an experience :)

Vox, so happy to read your story. Everything happens for a reason, and what better reason than to get on stage with Bono and sing with him. So very very happy for you.