Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aussiegirl

U2 photograph auction *Flood relief fundraiser*

you made atu2 agirl! niceone!

U2 Fan Launches Auction for Aussie Aid

@U2, January 17, 2011

By: Tassoula / @tassoula

In response to the devastating floods that have paralyzed part of Queensland, Australia, U2 fan Georgia E. is auctioning 8x10 photos of the recent 360 tour on eBay with 100% of the proceeds going to benefit Queensland Government's Flood Relief Appeal.

Each set includes a photo of each band member during one of the December shows.

Browse one set here, or to see all of the offerings, visit her seller's shop.

Georgia, who goes by "musicgirlu2" on eBay, has a 100% positive feedback rating, so you can bid with confidence.

Whoa! that's legit! happy.gif

bros.jpg

Jordan Rice, 13, at left, died after insisting his brother Blake, at right, be rescued first from their flooded car in Australia.(Credit:REX)

It's common for one personality to emerge as the face of tragedy, and Australia's deadly floodwaters have now claimed just such a hero to embody all that is good in the human character.

At least 25 people have died since relentless rains started pounding the eastern state of Queensland in November, but the death of 13-year-old Jordan Rice has captivated the nation.

On Monday, rapidly rising water engulfed a car carrying Rice, his mother and his brother in the hard-hit town of Toowoomba. The torrent knocked over the first person who attempted to reach the stranded family.

A second man managed to reach the car, but when he tried to pull Jordan out, the teenager insisted his 10-year-old brother Blake be saved first. Jordan couldn't swim.

Before the rescuer, Warren McErlean, could return to the car, a rope he was clinging to snapped. The car flipped over and Jordan and his mother Donna were carried away by the floodwater. They both died.

"Jordan was swept off," John Tyson, Donna Rice's long-time partner and Jordan's dad, told The Telegraph.

"As soon as he went, Donna just let go, you know, trying to clutch at Jordan. The poor little boy, they just both drowned."

"He (the rescuer) went to grab Jordan first, who said, 'Save my brother'. I can only imagine the fear coursing through his body."

"Courage kicked in, and he would rather his little brother would live," Jordan's older brother Kyle, 16, told The Australian newspaper.

The incident left McErlean distraught. He told Australian television in an emotional interview that he was deeply saddened by his inability to save all the boys. "I just kept telling the boy (Jordan) that it was going to be alright, but it wasn't. I just feel terrible for himself and his family. I just couldn't get him out."
On Twitter, a wave of tweets have dubbed Jordan the "true hero" of the Queensland floods.

http://www.cbsnews.com/83...162-20028375-503543.html

oh god that was just terrible about that family broke my heart

bidding is off to a great start and a special thanks to some of the zootops who are bidding :)

Strangely the Brissy pics are slow off the mark - bit ironic......but there is still almost 6 days of bidding to go!

So sorry that Queensland is having a very bad time after the joy of a U2 visit.  Mind-boggling to read the articles, trying to imagine the large scale of devastation... the two photos of the stadium really hit it home. Best wishes to our down-under (definitely no pun intended) neighbors, you're in our thoughts and prayers.

Good on ya, Aussie Girl, for a great idea.

What you are doing Aussiegirl is incredible and inspirational and infinite.  It sounds to me like God is already sending his Angels, his 'Aussie' Angels! Keep up the awesome effort -very proud of you. Blessings to you. 

Thanks for all the support!

There's only 5 days to go and we already have some awesome bids. Please check out the Brisbane pics too.....you didn't need to go to that show to bid on them :)

I've only just read about this on @U2, What a really brilliant idea, such a great way to try and raise much needed funds to help those in need. I will be watching the bidding very closely.

Great initiative Aussiegirl,

I'm sure you will do really well with this......

Aussiegirl great idea thumbsup.gif

banana.gif banana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif

Just under 3 days left folks - some great bidding going on and a big thank you to all the zoo peeps that have bid so far :)

last chance people - only 24 hrs to go so please get your bids in! Can't wait to see the final bids tomorrow night!

I am super happy to announce that all 4 sets of photos have sold and have raised $555.50 for the QLD Flood Relief Appeal!

Thank you so much to everyone who bid or spread the word about the auction!

And a big thank you to Bigwave, Lemonhead and Baja for their support with U2.com as well............yay!!!!!!!!

I got the Sydney ones. My first time on ebay and a great way to contribute to the flood relief effort.

Thanks guys!!

I got the Sydney ones. My first time on ebay and a great way to contribute to the flood relief effort.

Thanks guys!!

I wondered if that was you :) Thank you so much N! I have sent you a message on ebay too.

Thanks guys!!

Congratulations Nadoo! happy.gif

Well that makes at least 2 sets that went to Zootops, coz I got the Melbourne set! banana.gif

Another HUGE thank you to G (and photo contributors Selena, Jets and Queen Leonie) for organising such a great fundraising idea!  You all rock! thumbsup.gif

[quote name='Nikaliptus wrote:

Nadoo']I got the Sydney ones. My first time on ebay and a great way to contribute to the flood relief effort.

Thanks guys!!

Congratulations Nadoo! happy.gif

Well that makes at least 2 sets that went to Zootops, coz I got the Melbourne set! clap.gif