Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zhivvy

Following the middle east

The weapons industry is huge business, but to be so, someone has to use the weapons.

A good movie about this is "The lord of the war".

I think that big corporations and goverments are in the kitchen, that's ok because they own the restaurant. We are the clients of the restaurant, we just seat at the tables and eat what they give us. They make us think we are free to choose, giving us a menu with some options. At the end we will never know what they are cooking, we are not alowed to get inside the kitchen.

Hey sweetie - nice to see you back in here.

never heard of this film - is it a new one?

I love your analogy - a very good comparison

Don't forget the strategic role Iraq and Afghanistan play in creating a containment strategy around Iran.

And of course the US acts to protect its interest and strengthen itself.  But so did the communist and so do the various global mafias, and terrorist networks, and state-sponsors of terror and everyone else.  Who would you rather have "win?"

And, yes, it was in the US' interest to "strengthen itself" in Europe during the World Wars and following. But, I don't see many Europeans bemoaning the democratic societies that emerged as a result and from which they are still benefiting. 
(continued...)
I'm with you on this, sia. There is nothing at all wrong with trying to protect ones own interests, for goodness sake.

and who would we all rather win at the strengthening-terrorists or democaratic societies?

you have a very good point, my friend.

[quote name='Zhivvy wrote:

nazhira']The weapons industry is huge business, but to be so, someone has to use the weapons.

A good movie about this is "The lord of the war".

I think that big corporations and goverments are in the kitchen, that's ok because they own the restaurant. We are the clients of the restaurant, we just seat at the tables and eat what they give us. They make us think we are free to choose, giving us a menu with some options. At the end we will never know what they are cooking, we are not alowed to get inside the kitchen.

Hey sweetie - nice to see you back in here.

never heard of this film - is it a new one?

I love your analogy - a very good comparison

MV5BMjEzNDM2OTgzN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzU3MTIzMQ@@._V1._SY317_.jpg
 Â»

El señor de la guerra (2005) 

Lord of War (original title)

/i.media-imdb.com/images/SF0cb8a1609aa161b2a2f2cc753f5e1186/rating/rating-big/sprite.png);">http://i.media-imdb.com/i.../rating-big/sprite.png); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; height: 20px; width: 200px; background-position: 0px -40px; background-repeat: repeat no-repeat; "> /i.media-imdb.com/images/SF0cb8a1609aa161b2a2f2cc753f5e1186/rating/rating-big/sprite.png);">http://i.media-imdb.com/i.../rating-big/sprite.png); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; height: 20px; width: 154px; display: block; background-position: 0px -60px; background-repeat: repeat no-repeat; "> 7.7/10 
Users: (87,173 votes395 reviews | Critics: 182 reviews Metascore: 62/100 (based on 31 reviews from Metacritic.com)

An arms dealer confronts the morality of his work as he is being chased by an Interpol agent.

Director: 

Andrew Niccol

Writer: 

Andrew Niccol

Hi Zhiv !!!! I remembered you the whole time, specially your great pics !!!! Waiting for the boys next wednesday, very nervous, can't wait !!!! I'll be in red zone the 1st show, hope to have good pics to post here and giving the favor back to you !!!!

Trying again !!!

EL SEÑOR DE LA GUERRA

(Lord of war)

Ampliar cartel

Dirección y guión: Andrew Niccol.

País: USA.

Año: 2005.

Duración: 122 min.

Género: Thriller, acción, drama.

Interpretación: Nicolas Cage (Yuri Orlov), Ethan Hawke (Jack Valentine), Jared Leto (Vitaly Orlov), Bridget Moynahan (Ava Fontaine), Ian Holm (S¡meon Weisz), Eamonn Walker (Andre Baptiste), Sammi Rotibi (Andre Baptiste Jr.), Shake Toukhmanian (Irina Orlov), Jean-Pierre Nshanian (Anatoly Orlov), Jasper Lenz (Gregor).

Producción: Philippe Rousselet, Andrew Niccol, Nicolas Cage, Norman Golightly, Andy Grosch y Chris Roberts.

Música: Antonio Pinto.

Fotografía: Amir Mokri.

Montaje: Zach Staenberg.

Diseño de producción: Jean Vincent Puzos.

Vestuario: Elisabetta Beraldo.

Estreno en USA: 16 Septiembre 2005.

Estreno en España: 30 Junio 2006.

Oh look! It is the Argentinian girl who thinks the US knocked down its own buildings on 9/11 so that it could go to war in Iraq and steal its oil. LOL!

Yay! We have a REAL authority in the house now!

necessary to be so snarky??  really doesn't encourage open conversation....  and there can be so much to learn from people with widely divergent views.  If some one's views are inconceivable to you, probably their world experience is quite different than yours and you could learn a lot by attempting to understand how they came by those views instead of shutting them down with snarky attitude.......  just sayin

(continued...)
 Besides, I don't know why you are taking aim at the US' engagement in Libya. This action is led primarily by the French and British. Why are you not criticizing them? You say you are just opposed to US military actions, but your animosity toward the States is clearly more comprehensive. Where is your criticism of the French, British and UN in all of this?

And there you go wandering back to the oil business. Why don't you do some research into who actually buys Libya's oil? You will most likely be surprised. 

Oh, and don't forget the potential for massive refugee flows across the Mediterranean and into Europe if Libya falls apart. This mess isn't happening in the US' backyard.

Your brand of anti-Americanism is so tired its laughable...or would be, if I were not yawning.  Yawn.
Your naiveté due to your close minded view of your country is even funnier.  Well, it would be, except that you are so serious about your view.

Who is leading the campaign in Libya?  The U.S.

When are they giving the leadership of the campaign over to Europe?  Who knows.  It's most likely they won't due to the fact that the US has better strategical locations for the military onslaught of Libya.

Who buys oil from Libya?  Europe.

Who will buy the oil from Libya when Gadaffi is gone?  Europe.

Who will the Europeans buy the oil from?  US and UK corporations.

You like to think that I know nothing of the situation.

Due to your biased view of your country, you seem to think that it is better if the US is in control of nations rather than any other nation.  I don't remember any other nation, other than the US, nuking a country.  Not just nuking it once, but nuking it twice, in a matter of days.  Those 2 bombs (Fat Man and Enola Gay) directly killed 120,000 men, women, children and babies and hundreds of thousands more from the fallout and radiation in the following years. Gross war crimes.

And let's not forget Britain's mass killing of Germans in 1943.  600,000 German men, women, children and babies murdered by the flattening of whole cities through intensive bombing.  But who talks about that - sure the holocaust over-shadows that war crime.  The most disgusting thing about this atrocity is that most people don't even know about it.

Of all the atrocities conducted during World War II, I think only the Germans remember the bad deeds done on their part.  You only have to go and visit that country and talk to individuals there.  They don't like to discuss the War and they definitely don't look back on it as simply a "mistake".  They remember it as something that they never ever want to repeat.  It is a crime to say "heil hitler" even jokingly in that country.  The other countries' sweep their war crimes under the carpet or justify them.  In fact, Britain, even to this day, like to continually remind the Germans of the War, despite Britain not being entirely "the good guy" that it likes to lead us to believe in that campaign.  The Americans don't have any regret for their nuking Japan and wouldn't think twice about nuking another country if the situation arose, despite the fact that nuking a country kills more innocents than any other method.

So who are the good guys?  There are no good guys.  You are all evil bastards.  

It's easier for me to see this because I am looking at all these warring countries from a neutral perspective.

mummy,

how can your perspective be neutral? are you in switzerland?

I thought a perspective was a point of view, is that correct?

so you are looking at this from a point of view then, that is neutral?

how can you be neutral, if you think we are all evil bastards?

when you say "we" who do you mean?--us humans?

Us humans are all evil bastards and corrupted by sin?

that belief is part of the foundation of christianity...

that we are all sinners, every one of us...and that no one is perfect....

try as we may, we still are corrupted by sin in our hearts...

the only way to live then, is to put away our evil bastard selves, mummy, and to put on christ....

I love you mummy.

[quote name='nikki1120 wrote:

security_in_anonymity']Oh look! It is the Argentinian girl who thinks the US knocked down its own buildings on 9/11 so that it could go to war in Iraq and steal its oil. LOL!

necessary to be so snarky?? 

Oh, probably not necessary, but sometimes people are just so ludicrously ridiculous it is hard to resist.  
Besides, it feels good wink.gif 

I think I have only allowed myself to snark maybe three times in the whole of my life--maybe twice, actually.  Generally, I don't care for sarcasm.  But it is a great way to articulate how little respect one has for  another.  And, this 9/11 conspiracy that the US knocked down its own buildings so that it could go to war for oil,  is just so profoundly stupid, that I cannot avoid snarking at the people who buy into and spread this poison. If I were not such a nice and reasonable person, I would probably do a lot worse than just snark.

I think ( correct me if I'm wrong ) when you say "sometimes people are just so ludicrously ridiculous it is hard to resist"...you are talking about me.

"The right to appear ridiculous is something I hold DEAR !!!! "

PS: I'm really glad you feel good being snarky, I don't know how it feels, maybe you can teach me

mummy,

the only way to live then, is to put away out evil bastard selves, mummy, and to put on christ....

I love you mummy.

Hi Spicy,

A perspective can also be a way of regarding a situation.  My way of regarding the Libyan situation is from a neutral stance.  I am from a neutral country (Republic of Ireland) and I have no allegiance to any militarily active country. Therefore, I am looking at this situation going on in Libya from a neutral perspective.

In this regard I can say all warring countries are "evil bastards".

I don't think I said "we".  I think I said "you".

We might be corrupted by sin in our hearts spicy, but that doesn't give us licence to kill humans, regardless the justification.  Christians believe in Jesus' words:  do unto others as you would like them do unto you.  

I don't see how a "christian" country can justify nuking a country and still call themselves "christian".... unless of course you would like others to nuke you (do unto others as you would like them do unto you).

I think ( correct me if I'm wrong ) when you say "sometimes people are just so ludicrously ridiculous it is hard to resist"...you are talking about me.

"The right to appear ridiculous is something I hold DEAR !!!! "

PS: I'm really glad you feel good being snarky, I don't know how it feels, maybe you can teach me

LMAO.  I forgot how much I loved you and your humor!

[quote name='security_in_anonymity wrote:

nikki1120 wrote:

security_in_anonymity']Oh look! It is the Argentinian girl who thinks the US knocked down its own buildings on 9/11 so that it could go to war in Iraq and steal its oil. LOL!

necessary to be so snarky?? 

Oh, probably not necessary, but sometimes people are just so ludicrously ridiculous it is hard to resist.  
Besides, it feels good wink.gif 

I think I have only allowed myself to snark maybe three times in the whole of my life--maybe twice, actually.  Generally, I don't care for sarcasm.  But it is a great way to articulate how little respect one has for  another.  And, this 9/11 conspiracy that the US knocked down its own buildings so that it could go to war for oil,  is just so profoundly stupid, that I cannot avoid snarking at the people who buy into and spread this poison. If I were not such a nice and reasonable person, I would probably do a lot worse than just snark.

i count twice just on this page......  ohwell.gif

I love this analogy nazhira.  Well thought out! wink.gif

P.S. - Ignore SIA's nasty comments.  She's quite volatile when others don't agree with her point of view.  But then again, she also thinks there is a conspiracy going on where certain individuals connected with U2 are out to ruin her.  Yet she spends hours on U2.com.  Basically, she's somewhat unstable.  She's like an atom bomb that needs to be dismantled before it goes off!

[quote name='mummy wrote:

nazhira'] I think that big corporations and goverments are in the kitchen, that's ok because they own the restaurant. We are the clients of the restaurant, we just seat at the tables and eat what they give us. They make us think we are free to choose, giving us a menu with some options. At the end we will never know what they are cooking, we are not alowed to get inside the kitchen.

I love this analogy nazhira.  Well thought out! wink.gif

P.S. - Ignore SIA's nasty comments.  She's quite volatile when others don't agree with her point of view.  But then again, she also thinks there is a conspiracy going on where certain individuals connected with U2 are out to ruin her.  Yet she spends hours on U2.com.  Basically, she's somewhat unstable.  She's like an atom bomb that needs to be dismantled before it goes off!
LOL. Case closed !!!! I like about you, that you have all the data, really giving information !!!! Hope you are doing well in my dear 2nd country, Ireland !!!!

[quote name='nazhira wrote:

mummy wrote:

nazhira'] I think that big corporations and goverments are in the kitchen, that's ok because they own the restaurant. We are the clients of the restaurant, we just seat at the tables and eat what they give us. They make us think we are free to choose, giving us a menu with some options. At the end we will never know what they are cooking, we are not alowed to get inside the kitchen.

I love this analogy nazhira.  Well thought out! 
wink.gif

LOL. Case closed !!!! I like about you, that you have all the data, really giving information !!!! Hope you are doing well in my dear 2nd country, Ireland !!!!

happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

All well over here with me Naz.  The country itself is struggling.  Taxes are up, employment is down, and banks are still being given money and taking money from us (both through tax and upping interest rates).  But sure that is a subject I could talk about for years!tongue.gif

nazhira']

All well over here with me Naz.  The country itself is struggling.  Taxes are up, employment is down, and banks are still being given money and taking money from us (both through tax and upping interest rates).  But sure that is a subject I could talk about for years!tongue.gif

Same thing happend to my country. But with new goverment things are really changing. The problem is support the adjustmet policy, we've done the same in the past and it's the worst thing to do. That's the important thing about being a free country. We didn't apply to ALCA, and it's an issue that US goverment don't like ( I'm talking about the goverment, not the people, please, don't missquote me ). I talked about this a lot refering to the "Breathe" lyrics meaning. The economic system is ridiculous. You are right, we can talk about for ages, but there's a way out. The whole problem is IMF. If you want I can send you some info about what Argentina managed with the crisis.

[quote name='nikki1120 wrote:

security_in_anonymity wrote:

nikki1120']necessary to be so snarky?? 

Oh, probably not
necessary
, but sometimes people are just so ludicrously ridiculous it is hard to resist.  
Besides, it feels good
wink.gif

I think I have only allowed myself to snark maybe three times in the whole of my life--maybe twice, actually.
 Generally, I don't care for sarcasm.  But it is a great way to articulate how little respect one has for  another.  And, this 9/11 conspiracy that the US knocked down its own buildings so that it could go to war for oil,  is just so profoundly stupid, that I cannot avoid snarking at the people who buy into and spread this poison. If I were not such a nice and reasonable person, I would probably do a lot worse than just snark.

i count twice just on this page......  ohwell.gif

You are doing well with the maths !

happy.gif

[quote name='Zhivvy wrote:

nazhira wrote:

mummy']

I love this analogy nazhira.  Well thought out! 
wink.gif

happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifU2!!!

xtraspicy62']mummy,

the only way to live then, is to put away out evil bastard selves, mummy, and to put on christ....

I love you mummy.

Hi Spicy,

A perspective can also be a way of regarding a situation.  My way of regarding the Libyan situation is from a neutral stance.  I am from a neutral country (Republic of Ireland) and I have no allegiance to any militarily active country. Therefore, I am looking at this situation going on in Libya from a neutral perspective.

In this regard I can say all warring countries are "evil bastards".

I don't think I said "we".  I think I said "you".

We might be corrupted by sin in our hearts spicy, but that doesn't give us licence to kill humans, regardless the justification.  Christians believe in Jesus' words:  do unto others as you would like them do unto you.  

I don't see how a "christian" country can justify nuking a country and still call themselves "christian".... unless of course you would like others to nuke you (do unto others as you would like them do unto you).

Hi Mummy!

OK, lets think this one out here....a perspective is a point of view, which is indeed a way of regarding things....and you regard the situation from a point or a place of neutrality, because you live in a neutral country-Ireland.

Hows that?

Lets see, whats next....

OK, how can a christian country nuke others and still call itself christian?

Well, I think that the people who made that decision, had to live with their decision and their consequences for the rest of their lives, and I don't know how they could sleep at night.

I don't want to be lumped in with them.

Thanks for being my teacher, Mummy...thanks for taking a moment and trying to help me understand.

You walk beside me and teach me.

Like this poem:

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." -   --  Albert Camus

Actually, I don't care whether anyone agrees with my point of view. I truly don't. Your opinions have no impact on me. And I think you all have the right to your points of view--regardless of how poorly informed some of them are. But you can't expect me to respect you for being idiots. lol. That is just asking too much!

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - -- Albert Camus

Love this Xtra !

Actually, I don't care whether anyone agrees with my point of view. I truly don't. Your opinions have no impact on me. And I think you all have the right to your points of view--regardless of how poorly informed some of them are. But you can't expect me to respect you for being idiots. lol. That is just asking too much!

You colour your own book.