Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bajagirl

Why GIBBO was suspended,...

Hola ZOO

I am going to break  a long standing tradition of not making comments about disciplinary actions. As it seems that you do not have the entire story about what happened last night:

1.-Last night Gibbo came an posted several profanity laden messages.By his own admission on the HOTSEAT thread (McFoley) (Micks) was posting drunk (we have the messages and screen caps of them) EDIT: MICKS not MAC's my mistake

2.- The messages were removed and

3.- I sent him a PM asking him to stop, as he has been asked (and so have many of you) to cut down on the profanity. (Just because its ok in your country/culture does not mean its ok for people from other countries/cultures).

4.- He was told if he continued he would be suspended for 1 week. I had to make is an official warning since ALL the other gentle reminders were for naught. This way if/when he was suspended, he could not claim he was never :officially: warned

5.- He responded via PM by cursing me out. <- Disrespecting a moderator is a automatic 1 month suspension

6.- He was sent a message telling him why he was now suspended for 1 month

7.- He then proceeded to tell his friend he has banned for dropping the f-bomb

And to top it off, he went and cussed me out on my own FB profile.

So him saying he got banned for saying the f-word. Not true. No one, ever has been banned (which is permanent) or suspended (temporary) for letting an F-bomb drop. He got suspended for his disrespect, and for failing to comply with the rules of the forum after being asked politely to follow them.

if you cannot behave then leave, it is as simple as that. You are expected to behave and a courteous and respectful manner towards others in the forum, and that includes the moderators.

I do this on my own time,because I love the ZOO and the fun time with the people on here, but I will not subject myself [or the other  mods] to crude, crass or disrespectful behavior. Ive had it, we are very flexible as to what we allow, and most of you can attest that when you do cross a line you get a PM saying cut it out, you do and that's it.

I will now close the "Bring back G-wok" threads. If you keep re-posting them they will be removed and you will get a PM asking you to stop, if after that you keep posting, then a 1 week suspension will ensue.

Anyone that wants continue the conversation,  can do so in this thread, and as long as you keep it civil we can talk.

Baja

I have a question. If the use of profanity is frowned upon and posts removed because of it, why isn't there a filter on the boards?!

I have a question. If the use of profanity is frowned upon and posts removed because of it, why isn't there a filter on the boards?!

We have tried that, and members will use other words, different spellings and such to get around the filter, plus it seems childish and only makes members post more.

Most of the members are adults, and so self-restraint is expected of them. Also, in regards to profanity, it is a very small amount of users that insist it is 'ok' or 'their right' to use it.

We know people will drop an occasional curse word here and there, and we look at the context first. This is why many of the posts are left on the board. When people go overboard we drop a note (via PM or posting on the thread), and if this does not work then we issue warnings. Don't want to do it, but the rules need to be respected

Baja ...a banned member whose been banned for a time now my freind Mummy ....he was banned without any warnings .pms etc....did this rule just come into force recently?

Baja ...a banned member whose been banned for a time now my freind Mummy ....he was banned without any warnings .pms etc....did this rule just come into force recently?

Mummy is an alias for an account that has been banned multiple times (since the Vertigo ZOO) under many other aliases. Per the Terms and Conditions of the forum, once banned you cannot return under an alias, and keep doing so over and over again. Under such circumstances no notice is required.

Baja

Ahem, mummy (or any of his aliases) was never a member(s) here during the Vertigo ZOO. The original user (webeida) was accused many times of being some user that he never was. He returned every time since then because of the accusations are false and have never ever been proven as it is impossible to prove when he was never here during Vertigo ZOO. Provide the proof and the user webeida will leave amicably. Otherwise he'll just keep coming back and back and back and back and back and back and back and back.

Background on Mummy:

He joined U2.com in 2001. And frequented it regularly until it became a paid site. He then returned in late 2008 and started posting. It was during a period when people were very cautious of any new members due to some strange tactics that took place by other members. Unfortunately, due to webeida's writing style, users felt he was one (or a number) of those other users. All accusations were vehemently denied. No accusations were ever proven. The mods would PM him regularly to try and "suss" him out. They never did could prove he was any other user. He was then banned without warning in August 2009. A post was created by bajagirl to state WHY he was banned but the message never contained any proof. This is something the mods readily declared: "proof is not required - this is not a court of law." Granted, it is not a court of law but a user should have the right to innocence unless proven guilty. He has always maintained innocence and has no reason not to as he was never here during the years 2004 - 2007. Those years are the "Vertigo Years" of which he is being accused of being a troublesome member.

I expect this post to be deleted but the proof of what the user "webeida" is like is in the "personality" of mummy - a user who is well liked and in no way troublesome. Controversial maybe, but not troublesome. All you have to do is read the posts of mummy to determine what sort of person he is. That's proof. All you have to do is read the posts of webeida to determine the sort of person he is. That also is proof. Saying he was a user from the vertigo ZOO is false, a blatant lie and cannot be proven at all.

Yours

MisterCrazyLooney

I think it's just one person's word against another imo.  I don't see a MacFoley hotseat thread and although I believe Gibbo probably used the "F" word a few times, I have a hard time believing he would offend or direct his drunken "tirade" or whatnot to anyone in particular.  I've never seen him do that in the several years we both have been on here. How many times did we have the bar threads in the old zoo where many of us were feeling tipsy and posting crazy? Couldn't have been any different than that.

If he cursed you out in your pms, again I have a hard time believing that as well and frankly none of my business but still your word against his.

As for posting on your FB wall, I see it, we all see it and I'm only seeing one curse word but is not calling you an "F" anything.  And I'm not all that surprised that's the one thing you've not deleted, to prove a point perhaps?  However, how many times have you tried to be mod on some of our FB statuses? More than a few I would say.

A lot of great folks have been banned but only seems to be happening in this "new zoo".  I think that's a clear indication that those U2com rules have changed quite a bit in the transition.

Ahem, mummy (or any of his aliases) was never a member(s) here during the Vertigo ZOO. The original user (webeida) was accused many times of being some user that he never was. He returned every time since then because of the accusations are false and have never ever been proven as it is impossible to prove when he was never here during Vertigo ZOO. Provide the proof and the user webeida will leave amicably. Otherwise he'll just keep coming back and back and back and back and back and back and back and back.

Background on Mummy:

He joined U2.com in 2001. And frequented it regularly until it became a paid site. He then returned in late 2008 and started posting. It was during a period when people were very cautious of any new members due to some strange tactics that took place by other members. Unfortunately, due to webeida's writing style, users felt he was one (or a number) of those other users. All accusations were vehemently denied. No accusations were ever proven. The mods would PM him regularly to try and "suss" him out. They never did could prove he was any other user. He was then banned without warning in August 2009. A post was created by bajagirl to state WHY he was banned but the message never contained any proof. This is something the mods readily declared: "proof is not required - this is not a court of law." Granted, it is not a court of law but a user should have the right to innocence unless proven guilty. He has always maintained innocence and has no reason not to as he was never here during the years 2004 - 2007. Those years are the "Vertigo Years" of which he is being accused of being a troublesome member.

I expect this post to be deleted but the proof of what the user "webeida" is like is in the "personality" of mummy - a user who is well liked and in no way troublesome. Controversial maybe, but not troublesome. All you have to do is read the posts of mummy to determine what sort of person he is. That's proof. All you have to do is read the posts of webeida to determine the sort of person he is. That also is proof. Saying he was a user from the vertigo ZOO is false, a blatant lie and cannot be proven at all.

Yours

MisterCrazyLooney

See what I mean. Webeida was banned. Instead of taking his lumps, he decided to keep coming back ( as he clearly promises in this post) and that is a clear violation of the TOU http://www.u2.com/terms/ and cause for termination of the account w/o notice.

We have had other people that were banned, and after a time requested they be allowed back and during their ban did not come back as aliases, did not cause trouble, did not post blogs on how unfairly they were treated, or tell their friends they were banned for no reason causing them to come onto the forum and cause problems, did not cuss out the mods, or get their friends to do it for them, etc. THEY took responsibility for their actions, and were allowed back.

So Mr/Mummy/Webby/Webeida/et al  thank you for giving the proof yourself. You admit it, on your mummy profile you admitted it, and has a link to your blog (as webeida) so per the terms of use that state, why you are banned:

[CONDUCT]

You agree not to submit or post any User Content that:
<snip>
  (vi) is designed to or does harass, threaten, defame or abuse others, <snip> (ix) is generally offensive or in bad taste.

<snip>

You will be considered in violation if you (or others using your account) do any of the following:
<snip>
After being banned return under another username, You register and then delete your email address.

and

[MODIFICATION, SUSPENSION AND TERMINATION]

We reserve the right at any time to suspend, modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, any portion of the Site or the Club with or without prior notice. You agree that we will not be liable to you or to any third party for any suspension, modification or discontinuance.

U2.com expressly reserves the right to immediately modify, suspend or terminate your account and refuse current or future use of any U2.com service......

Baja

I think it's just one person's word against another imo.  I don't see a MacFoley hotseat thread and although I believe Gibbo probably used the "F" word a few times, I have a hard time believing he would offend or direct his drunken "tirade" or whatnot to anyone in particular.  I've never seen him do that in the several years we both have been on here. How many times did we have the bar threads in the old zoo where many of us were feeling tipsy and posting crazy? Couldn't have been any different than that.

If he cursed you out in your pms, again I have a hard time believing that as well and frankly none of my business but still your word against his.

As for posting on your FB wall, I see it, we all see it and I'm only seeing one curse word but is not calling you an "F" anything.  And I'm not all that surprised that's the one thing you've not deleted, to prove a point perhaps?  However, how many times have you tried to be mod on some of our FB statuses? More than a few I would say.

A lot of great folks have been banned but only seems to be happening in this "new zoo".  I think that's a clear indication that those U2com rules have changed quite a bit in the transition.

I've also seen the pm he sent... thats on Gibbo's own facebook and yep - there is swearing there but I have to say - cussing someone out is saying 'f*ck you' etc.  Calling this place a 'f*ckin' load of bollocks' is NOT cussing someone out or swearing directly AT someone.  I don't see an ounce of disrespect at all and I think the respectful thing to do, if something other than this was said would be to either not mention it AT ALL... or to post everythiung! 

I'm with you Donna - if posting 'Don't bother me again, thats you and me f*ckin' finished' is the worst thing that he said AFTER he'd already been banned for a month for being disrespectful then people REALLY need to develop thicker skins

[quote name='Bajagirl wrote:

MisterCrazyLooney']Ahem, mummy (or any of his aliases) was never a member(s) here during the Vertigo ZOO. The original user (webeida) was accused many times of being some user that he never was. He returned every time since then because of the accusations are false and have never ever been proven as it is impossible to prove when he was never here during Vertigo ZOO. Provide the proof and the user webeida will leave amicably. Otherwise he'll just keep coming back and back and back and back and back and back and back and back.

Background on Mummy:

Yours

MisterCrazyLooney

See what I mean. Webeida was banned. Instead of taking his lumps, he decided to keep coming back ( as he clearly promises in this post) and that is a clear violation of the TOU http://www.u2.com/terms/ and cause for termination of the account w/o notice.

We have had other people that were banned, and after a time requested they be allowed back and during their ban did not come back as aliases, did not cause trouble, did not post blogs on how unfairly they were treated, or tell their friends they were banned for no reason causing them to come onto the forum and cause problems, did not cuss out the mods, or get their friends to do it for them, etc. THEY took responsibility for their actions, and were allowed back.

So Mr/Mummy/Webby/Webeida/et al  thank you for giving the proof yourself. You admit it, on your mummy profile you admitted it, and has a link to your blog (as webeida) so per the terms of use that state, why you are banned:

[CONDUCT]

You agree not to submit or post any User Content that:
<snip>
  (vi) is designed to or does harass, threaten, defame or abuse others, <snip> (ix) is generally offensive or in bad taste.

<snip>

You will be considered in violation if you (or others using your account) do any of the following:
<snip>
After being banned return under another username, You register and then delete your email address.

and

[MODIFICATION, SUSPENSION AND TERMINATION]
We reserve the right at any time to suspend, modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, any portion of the Site or the Club with or without prior notice. You agree that we will not be liable to you or to any third party for any suspension, modification or discontinuance.

U2.com expressly reserves the right to immediately modify, suspend or terminate your account and refuse current or future use of any U2.com service......

Baja

You really do twist words to create a zoo that licks your arse don't you?  I created new usernames because I was webeida and was unfairly banned.  I would only be webeida if I wasn't banned unfairly.

Is it because I wouldn't flirt with you in PM baja?  I'm sorry but I'm already taken and I was never going to flirt with you in PM.  You tried but I wasn't going to have any of it.

You can use the TOS any way you like but I just am not going to lick your arse.  I don't lick anyone's arse.  That will never change.

I know the TOS and I know how easily it is to twist them to suit an agenda.  I'm in that business.

Have a nice day.

Erin

Mac's thread is in the new  HOTSEAT forum, inside PAID GENERAL, and I mispoke, I meant Micks

Less than 10 people that have been banned in the last 3 years (besides spammers). All others were suspended and are back or  chose not to return after their suspensions. Many claim they were banned when they were not.

I acknowledge your friendship with Gibbo, I think he is a swell guy, but posted inappropriately and he has to deal with the consequences. His new posting under aliases WILL get him banned and I don't want to do that, but I will if forced to buy his actions.

As for FB, yes I was making a point by leaving it there, I mean than it would be my word against him, needed proof. And I dont moderate there, and make a great effort to avoid posting dissenting opinions as people feel moderated.

As for a one person word against another, if you chose not to believe it that is your choice. But i have to show the other mods and admin the proof, so I don't do thing willy nilly.

Baja

Erin Go Bragh-less']I think it's just one person's word against another imo.  I don't see a MacFoley hotseat thread and although I believe Gibbo probably used the "F" word a few times, I have a hard time believing he would offend or direct his drunken "tirade" or whatnot to anyone in particular.  I've never seen him do that in the several years we both have been on here. How many times did we have the bar threads in the old zoo where many of us were feeling tipsy and posting crazy? Couldn't have been any different than that.

Erin

Mac's thread is in the new  HOTSEAT forum, inside PAID GENERAL, and I mispoke, I meant Micks

Less than 10 people that have been banned in the last 3 years (besides spammers). All others were suspended and are back or  chose not to return after their suspensions. Many claim they were banned when they were not.

I acknowledge your friendship with Gibbo, I think he is a swell guy, but posted inappropriately and he has to deal with the consequences. His new posting under aliases WILL get him banned and I don't want to do that, but I will if forced to buy his actions.

As for FB, yes I was making a point by leaving it there, I mean than it would be my word against him, needed proof. And I dont moderate there, and make a great effort to avoid posting dissenting opinions as people feel moderated.

As for a one person word against another, if you chose not to believe it that is your choice. But i have to show the other mods and admin the proof, so I don't do thing willy nilly.

Baja

Did he make that comment on your facebook though AFTER he had already been suspended?!

[quote name='MrsFish wrote:

Bajagirl wrote:

Erin Go Bragh-less']I think it's just one person's word against another imo.  I don't see a MacFoley hotseat thread and although I believe Gibbo probably used the "F" word a few times, I have a hard time believing he would offend or direct his drunken "tirade" or whatnot to anyone in particular.  I've never seen him do that in the several years we both have been on here. How many times did we have the bar threads in the old zoo where many of us were feeling tipsy and posting crazy? Couldn't have been any different than that.

Erin

Baja

Did he make that comment on your facebook though AFTER he had already been suspended?!

No, he did it before. But I saw it after. Only behavior on u2.com counts. So for example his posting my picture on his FB is petty and childish but there is nothing I can do about it.

You really do twist words to create a zoo that licks your arse don't you?  I created new usernames because I was webeida and was unfairly banned.  I would only be webeida if I wasn't banned unfairly.

Is it because I wouldn't flirt with you in PM baja?  I'm sorry but I'm already taken and I was never going to flirt with you in PM.  You tried but I wasn't going to have any of it.

You can use the TOS any way you like but I just am not going to lick your arse.  I don't lick anyone's arse.  That will never change.

I know the TOS and I know how easily it is to twist them to suit an agenda.  I'm in that business.

Have a nice day.

And this is exactly the type of rude and disrespectful commentary that gets you banned. Again, thank you for making my case - Baja

MrsFish wrote:

Bajagirl']Erin

Baja

No, he did it before. But I saw it after. Only behavior on u2.com counts. So for example his posting my picture on his FB is petty and childish but there is nothing I can do about it.

I actually do take your point B (and i'd tell Gibbo himself) - it does seem rather childish.  Then again, I also think that heavily moderating the use of swearing as part of conversation rather than swearing that is directly aimed at someone in a derogatory manner is also rather foolish on the part of U2.com.  Me posting that i've had a 'really f*cking sh*t day' at work is wholely different to telling someone to 'eat f*cking sh*t and die' etc etc.  I think its a VERY grey area particularly when you consider this is the site of U2 who really aren't known for choosing their words carefully.  It really is a shame that this place runs the risk of becomming overly sterile and its a far cry from Zootopia of 10 years, and even the Vertigo incarnation of Zootopia.  I'm not sure whether the recent restrictions on language are being enforced by 'heavy' moderating, or by the powers that be but I seriously do think that this place has alot more issues to worry about than the use of the F-bomb

\I actually do take your point B (and i'd tell Gibbo himself) - it does seem rather childish.  Then again, I also think that heavily moderating the use of swearing as part of conversation rather than swearing that is directly aimed at someone in a derogatory manner is also rather foolish on the part of U2.com.  Me posting that i've had a 'really f*cking sh*t day' at work is wholely different to telling someone to 'eat f*cking sh*t and die' etc etc.  I think its a VERY grey area particularly when you consider this is the site of U2 who really aren't known for choosing their words carefully.  It really is a shame that this place runs the risk of becomming overly sterile and its a far cry from Zootopia of 10 years, and even the Vertigo incarnation of Zootopia.  I'm not sure whether the recent restrictions on language are being enforced by 'heavy' moderating, or by the powers that be but I seriously do think that this place has alot more issues to worry about than the use of the F-bomb

Thanks hun. As for heavy moderating, we dont really. It is only a few users  that need to be constantly reminded and they keep pushing it. Other than that we let you guys do pretty much whatever as long as it is within the boundaries of civilization.

As for the cursing, again it is only a small amount of people that keep doing this. We know people occasionally say an f-bomb or other words. But we always look at a) the context and B) the history of behavior of the user. Case in point, you have been known to user a curse word or 2, Mr fish also, but you have never gotten a warning because of the context you are using and the rarity. Another example is the OZ folders, we are pretty much hands off those. And rarely need to go in there and calm things down, because Aussies curse when talking to each other, but it is not continuous and all the time. So no heavy moderating. It is a select group that feel entitled to say what ever they want and however they want to do it, and that is not acceptable. The fact that they ALL agreed to abide by the rules seems to have slipped their mind

I dont like to be the bad guy and suspend or ban, but the community has rules and they need to be enforced.

Baja

I remember webeida from pre-paid zoo, and a few other people here who had different names ....... is Bono's Rosary still around, there was Green Eyes, OTH ahhhhh too many.

As for Cussing ........ you want to be in my front room at about 7 - 8pm when my son is playing Counter Strike, you will hear so much more than you can ever read on here, and it ain't just the Aussies who curse when talking to each other ......... have you heard drunken Scotsmen!!!!!

I'm not going to get into a bickering arguement and side with who ever, only the people involved will truely know what was typed to each other (drunken or not), I am no angel, I have even split a band up ....... so better keep me away from this one!!!

Maybe a 2 week ban instead of a month one????? just a wee suggestion, and we shall choose the most sensible person in the zoo to keep him in check lol ...... which ain't me cause I can split bands up, and upset people, and my bag makes phone calls!!!! OK I am try to put a bit of humour in this too to keep it a wee bit light hearted sometimes a bit of fun can lighten the mood and make people smile ........ OK split the difference 3 weeks!!!!! lol

Have fun peeps ......... but it has got me back in here again ...... just being nosey ......... *runs to get some vodka to go with my Irn Bru*

you should hear drunken belgians......

I was looking for the 'like' button there lol ...... made me giggle that one ha ha ha

[quote name='Dustbin wrote:

barbara1']you should hear drunken belgians......

I was looking for the 'like' button there lol ...... made me giggle that one ha ha hayou can giggle all you want, but i'm related to them, sigh...

wink.gif

you should hear drunken belgians......

you should hear drunken Southern rednecks.  It's worse than any curse word ever uttered....

Baja...I just saw Gibbo's post on ur Facebook page, holy sh*t...that is cursing u out??!! U have a power issue Baja.....u defo abuse it.......For f*ck sake...this is not a Justin Beiber fan club website. U2 would be so proud of your behavior.....No reply necessary cuz it will be full of sh*te...

The only excitement u can get in this place is when you ban someone...is that why u are doing it?? To bring up your numbers???? U disappoint me, again. And to think if they actually paid you for this "powerful" position!!! LOL!

I am editing...Baja...u are a human being doing a job...and I get that...but I really believe that u are on a power streak.....if someone is threatening someone...then, yes, by all means, ban them.....I just don't understand this....nor do u owe me an explanation.  I just think this place is sooooooo sad.