Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

suee

Would anyone like to recommend a good film they have seen and enjoyed..

At the weekend I was looking forward to seeing The Curious Case of Benjamin Button Film. With all the talk when it came out, how amazing it was..and the bits of the film they showed...well I thought it was slow, boring and ok....rubbish...Well we all have different taste...but it's not a film I will be watching again nor getting from vid shop!!!!!

So I am hoping guys and girls...any good films you have seen....and maybe enjoyed so much would see again AH!

here's 3 for you to check out if you haven't already seen them:

1: The American. (directed by Anton Corbijn).

2: Until the End of the World.(directed by Wim Wenders).

3: Rear Window. (directed by Alfred Hitchcock).

Razspazz.....Seen Rear Window...thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

Will look into other two.......many thankswink.gif

some of my favourites from last months:

london river
mammoth
deception
tsotsi
the visitor
lovely bones

Barbara...

I remember you mentioning....Lovely Bones. before...and Deception is ringing bells, rest I don't think I have seen anything about...but I could be wrong....Thanks  :-)

yes, i mentionned lovely bones: a young girl tells the story bout how she was murdered by a neighbour.

deception is bout a young mother who's is having an afair and one day when she's with her lover, she' watching the news and sees a bomb just exploded in the stadium where her husband and son are at a soccergame.
london river: story is situated round the time of the bombings in the london metro in 2005, a mother who's daughter lives in london hasnt heard from her since the attacks. she travels to london to find her. and meets this african gentleman who's there to find out what happened to his son.
mammoth: from the same director as babel (which i loved too!) follows a middle-class businessman who leaves his family to go on business-trip and meets a prostitute, falls in love with her. it also tells the story of his Filipino nanny who, while she takes care of other peoples kids, has to miss out on her own. only cause she's trying to give them a better life by working in usa to send them money. very touchy...
tsotsi; black youngman, who lives in the slums of johannesburg, steals the car of a wealthy black woman, only to find out her baby is still in the back. he forces an unmarried , young mother to take care of the baby. she tries to persuade him to do the right thing and bring the baby back...
the visitor: an unhappy, lonely professor finds a young couple immigrants are 'renting' his newyork appartement. after some misunderstanding, the 3 realise they've been victims of a fraude. the professor asks them to stay, cause he knows they have nowhere else to go. this decission changes his whole world and perception.
hope you get to see them, sue. each of them got to my soul, and made me think.

Thanks Barbara...I'll look out the theses...Will let you know when I see them...  Many thanks..clap.gif

talking bout movies, sue wink.gif did you ever see the rabbit proof fence? bout the stolen generation in australia? i cried...

Watched Monsters recently. Not gonna give anythin away, but i watched it from start to finish and twas pretty good. In terms of plot, not what i expected at all.

some feel good family movies by Tyler Perry always lift me up...

Last night, I watched

I Can do Bad All By Myself.

Reduced me to tears.

About being lost, and then being found, and the importance of family and friends, real love and faith.

Great singing in it by Mary J Blige, and Gladys Knight.

You may recall Mary did a duet with bono on ONE.

OH Dear ! I haven't seen any of these films....

The Rabbit Proof Fence...

Monsters..

I Can Do Bad All By Myself.

Boy thanks, Barbara, Achtung and Spicy...Next time I go to Blockbusters will have list with me. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Nowhere in Africa

From NetFlix:

Shortly before the outbreak of World War II, a Jewish couple and theiryoung daughter emigrate from Germany to Kenya to escape the Nazis, andare forced to come to terms with a new life on an unfamiliar continent.Not all members of the family are happy with this drastic change -- butgoing home isn't an option.

The Number 23 starring Jim Carrey and Virginia Madsen

i saw that one twice, and was just as thrilling second time. its weird tho, seeing jim playing a serious part. he does it well, but he's still my favouite grinch tongue.gif

I will have to make a list of all these films....

The Number 23..

Nowhere in Africa...

Have not been to the pictures in years.....I must have been on another planet....embarassed.gifeek.gifgrin.gif

Have you had a chance to see anything yet Sue? One I recommend is "The Boy in The Striped Pajamas". Its so good, but very sad too.

I am so behind on my movie watching as well. I usually go with what my niece wants, teen comedies or horror films.

Patti I bought the book a short while ago... I only get to see films when there on tv...but there has been very little on...so was thinking of going to Blockbusters, for the weekend....maybe...grin.gif

Hmmmm good question Sue...let me think... I quite enjoyed The Blind Side (Sandra Bullock) and Up in the Air and Michael Clayton (both George Clooney).  I watched Little Fockers recently, it's worth a watch on a rainy day but it's not as good as the previous ones.

If I think of anymore I'll let you know!

Many thanks..Anjana...

Will add to my list.....

The Blind Side.

Up in the Air.

Michael Clayton.

Little Fockers.

someone mentioned boy in striped pyjama's in here. 

i started watching this one couple of months ago, rather late, had been busy with something,cant remember. started watching it with kids, cause i had promised them movie and crisps, but 45 minutes later it was past bedtime, so we never saw the rest. decided to watch it again after seeing these posts. and i remember again now how mad and angry this type of movie makes me!! well, not the movie, but what happened to all these families, kids, mothers, fathers,... mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

someone mentioned boy in striped pyjama's in here. 
i started watching this one couple of months ago, rather late, had been busy with something,cant remember. started watching it with kids, cause i had promised them movie and crisps, but 45 minutes later it was past bedtime, so we never saw the rest. decided to watch it again after seeing these posts. and i remember again now how mad and angry this type of movie makes me!! well, not the movie, but what happened to all these families, kids, mothers, fathers,... mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

I get so angry watching these movies as well.  My niece was studying that topic in school and really wanted me to watch it with her.  I generally don't watch them.  

i watched Altiplano today. a beautiful, belgian movie (eat your heart out mr danny wind) that brings together 2 stories: grace is a war-photographer who quits her job after she is forced to make a picture while soldiers shoot her guide. she stays behind in her house in belgium when her husband, an ophthalmologist, travels to peru to cure local indians who suffer from cataract.

the other story is about saturnina, who lives in the andes in a little peruvian village. she's bout to marry her fiance ignancio, when disaster hits the village, their beloved statue of the virgin mary falls to pieces cause of some playing children. little do the grieving, weeping villagers know that something much worse is threatening them, as the children are playing with 'liquid silver' = mercury, that comes from the mines around them. soon people start losing eyesight, faint and start bleeding from their noses.
the 2 stories connect when graces husband, max, together with his colleagues visits the village, to examine the villagers and find out what is making them sick. at that the villagers are mourning because of saturnina's fiance who was found dead. they get mad at the foreign intruders, who they see as the ones guilty of their problems, and chase them out the village, stones are thrown at them and one hits max and he dies.
after the funeral grace decides to go to peru and find out what happened.
the story is based on an actual mercury-poisoning in the area in 2000.

really beautiful movie, and won lots of prizes too. some scenes are very symbolic, like when angel and devils are playing the dice to decide if the soul of a deceased goes to heaven or hell. many more of those moments, but they add to the beauty instead of making it awkward.
you really need to watch this one!

Now, I'm quite a movie buff and here are some movies I watched recently and burst my insides laughing at:

- The Green Hornet (Don't mix it up with the Green Lantern)

- Paul

- Kick-ass

If you want to see something more serious but exceptionally brilliant:

- True Grit (Cohen Bros movie but without the comedy but with all the grit, true grit.)

I'll be a VIP guest at the Premiere of Transformers 3 this Tuesday. I'll let you know whether it was any good or not on Wednesday. So watch this space and don't take your eyes off of it --->

Bejamin Button looked terrible and I never saw it. I'm glad because those who did, hated it.

Movie thread! My favorite!

Just recently saw these two and loved them!

The Train (1964)

City of Joy

I finally just saw most of Marley and Me... wept like a child at the end. It's a cute movie, not much more.

OH! "Of Gods and Men" .... saw it in theaters in April. Best movie I've ever seen. Hands down. At least the most beautiful. It is so incredibly well done and will leave you speechless. So powerful in it

s quiet strength. MUST SEE! :)

Bejamin Button looked terrible and I never saw it. I'm glad because those who did, hated it.

Movie thread! My favorite!

Just recently saw these two and loved them!

The Train (1964)

City of Joy

I finally just saw most of Marley and Me... wept like a child at the end. It's a cute movie, not much more.

OH! "Of Gods and Men" .... saw it in theaters in April. Best movie I've ever seen. Hands down. At least the most beautiful. It is so incredibly well done and will leave you speechless. So powerful in it

s quiet strength. MUST SEE! :)

My daughter and I watched Marley and Me...both of us cried  and she said would NEVER watch it again!cry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gif