Sign in to follow this  
hnicolaidesk

The Blue Room

I'm reading The Help right now.  I was hesitant at first, but it truly is an incredible book.

I've heard it's very good Mich... I'll put that on my list... its a long list. laugh.gif

Hi there, I had a nice nightcap thanx, think Maggie went to the loo and didn't come backlaugh.gif either that or she fell asleep in theretired.gif

Nope.

I cleaned the loos before I left last night... she wasn't napping in there... laugh.gif

She must've snuck out... wink.gif

I have bought tickets to go see Elbow at the end of September!

I am a Happy Helen. Well chuffed. laugh.gif

My friend Susan and I are going on a girly road trip. It'll be grand.

Elbow are playing at the Sound Academy - a smallish venue which holds a maximum of 3,000 people.

It may not be Glastonbury, but it will be warm, intimate, dry and... no mud.

I know... I know... where's the fun without mud. wink.gif

hi everyone! don worry bout me being jealous at your pub, helen, just a figure of speach. i think its a great idea having a new place to come and chat.

about books: the very big ones? they are my favourite! i knew every spot in our local library and loved it there (was a member since i was 9 years old and used to live on the same block. during schoolholidays you could find me there at least 3 times a week, teachers used to love me cause i would read every book and more on their list).
 then it got taken over by the county. and things changed for the worse. you were allowed to keep the books for no more than 3 weeks instead of 4. you could only extend that period 2 times (before you could keep them till someone else would ask for it). okay 9 weeks in total seems a lot. but when you work, have kids and a household and love big books......  for us it was even worse, cause hans and i loved to read the same book. so we would each start one and then exchange when finished. and talk bout it. love is a slow reader, cause he uses to fall asleep early (we always read before goin to sleep) so he never got to finish the books in time! not happy! and on top of that the 'newer' librarians were a bit rude at times. they sometimes made mistakes, forgetting to scan in one of the books we returned and then charging us! while it was pretty clear we returned them on the same date all together! so after lots of irritations and arguments, we decided not to go there anymore. i miss the reading tho. wish they would have left it all the way it was...

Hey Barbara

Sorry about your library - that sounds dreadful.

Our local library is fantastic... very  helpful - though they do have the same rules... 3 weeks to borrow and if someone has placed a hold on the copy you have - you must return it on the due date, you cannot renew it...

I had to return "Little Women" before I was done.. I was upset about it... because I wanted to finish it... I was enjoying it... but my lads were toddlers and I didn't always have a lot of leisure time... not to mention at the end of the day, I was falling asleep after half a dozen pages too... laugh.gif .... me and Hans ...... zzzzzzzzz wink.gif

I do love a good read, though. And on a rainy day.. or a very cold wintry day... there's nothing like it.. well... other than...happy.gif

New books at Christmas are the best... snowy outside, fire roaring in the hearth and a new book! Simple pleasures.

so do you girls buy lots of books? i never did, exept the agatha christie collection, and they were worth it, cause i've read them so many times, hans too. my dad borrows a few from time to time. and lena has read some to, but she thinks they are a little 'out of time'. and she's probably right, lol.

we bought some sjowall& wahlo, great scandinavian duo that writes crime-stories. and i would love to buy the elizabeth george collection too. i have 'anne franks diary', and some books by great flemish autors. and  'name of the rose' by umberto eco. i also have this very big book called sarum, it tells the story of a family in salisbury, from the stone-ages up till our modern times the offspring of this family is involved in many big events in history. it was send to me by accident, and was on the shelf for a few years before i got interested (i had no book left to read) its really big, but i've read it 2 times by now.
hans has lots of books bout gardening, keeping ducks, chickens, pigeons,....
and i have books with all the different dog and cat-breeds, and some bout dogbehavior and training, books bout how to take care of guinea pigs and rabbits,...  a library that fits our little zoowink.gif

I have bought tickets to go see Elbow at the end of September!

I am a Happy Helen. Well chuffed. laugh.gif

Elbow are playing at the Sound Academy - a smallish venue which holds a maximum of 3,000 people.

I know... I know... where's the fun without mud. wink.gif

That's going to be some fun Helen, that venue looks to be rite on the water in downtown Toronto. From the bits I saw from the Glastonbury replays they sound really good.

I'll be going to see Arcade Fire again in Montreal they are playing a free concert during the pop festival on September 22.

[quote name='cash0012 wrote:

hnicolaidesk']I have bought tickets to go see
Elbow
at the end of September!

I am a Happy Helen. Well chuffed.
laugh.gif

I know... I know... where's the fun without mud.
wink.gif

That's going to be some fun Helen, that venue looks to be rite on the water in downtown Toronto. From the bits I saw from the Glastonbury replays they sound really good.

I'll be going to see Arcade Fire again in Montreal they are playing a free concert during the pop festival on September 22.

Wow Cash honey - that'll be great! What fun.

Arcade Fire are great. Make sure you come here after wards and give us your review and maybe a photo or two. smile.gif

I promise to review Elbow and post some photos here too.

Speaking of Elbow....

Just saw this tweet from Elbow frontman and cutie-patootie, Guy Garvey

Can't pretend to know what kind of desperation drives our young men to behave this badly.swear I'm going to find out how to help though. X

Bless his heart. smile.gif

Hi mates!

I see our Helen sorta kinda likes that Elbow lot??

Just getting ready for work, but I'll pop back in to say G'day in the wee hours.

Have a great day where ever you are.

[quote name='mick james wrote:

hnicolaidesk']From
NME

since were linking to the NME

http://www.nme.com/nme-video/youtube/id/Lt-BAyqmVPg

Sorry, couldn't resistlaugh.gif

Mick, I actually really like that mix! For me, Moment of Surrender feels like it just drags along. It's hard for me to listen to through to the end. That "cheesy" electro mix of yours seems to give the song the bit of life that I feel is missing from it.

Hi mates!

Just getting ready for work, but I'll pop back in to say G'day in the wee hours.

Elbow are quite good. I quite fancy them myself. Hope you have a good day, Mick. Now it's off to bed with me. I've got to work in the morning.Goodnight and good day to all!

Well, thought I'd drop by for a coffee. On my way to watch the cricket in Birmingham. Taking a good book with me "The Shipping News" have read it twice before.. And plenty of good tunes on the Ipod..

Will be in later for a few beers and a catch up.

hi everyone! don worry bout me being jealous at your pub, helen, just a figure of speach. i think its a great idea having a new place to come and chat.
 about books: the very big ones? they are my favourite! i knew every spot in our local library and loved it there (was a member since i was 9 years old and used to live on the same block. during schoolholidays you could find me there at least 3 times a week, teachers used to love me cause i would read every book and more on their list).
 then it got taken over by the county. and things changed for the worse. you were allowed to keep the books for no more than 3 weeks instead of 4. you could only extend that period 2 times (before you could keep them till someone else would ask for it). okay 9 weeks in total seems a lot. but when you work, have kids and a household and love big books......  for us it was even worse, cause hans and i loved to read the same book. so we would each start one and then exchange when finished. and talk bout it. love is a slow reader, cause he uses to fall asleep early (we always read before goin to sleep) so he never got to finish the books in time! not happy! and on top of that the 'newer' librarians were a bit rude at times. they sometimes made mistakes, forgetting to scan in one of the books we returned and then charging us! while it was pretty clear we returned them on the same date all together! so after lots of irritations and arguments, we decided not to go there anymore. i miss the reading tho. wish they would have left it all the way it was...
I really love Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None"

*needs whole pot of coffee*

Stayed up way too late last night with TCH, drinking tequila and reliving our summer.

so do you girls buy lots of books? i never did, exept the agatha christie collection, and they were worth it, cause i've read them so many times, hans too. my dad borrows a few from time to time. and lena has read some to, but she thinks they are a little 'out of time'. and she's probably right, lol.
we bought some sjowall& wahlo, great scandinavian duo that writes crime-stories. and i would love to buy the elizabeth george collection too. i have 'anne franks diary', and some books by great flemish autors. and  'name of the rose' by umberto eco. i also have this very big book called sarum, it tells the story of a family in salisbury, from the stone-ages up till our modern times the offspring of this family is involved in many big events in history. it was send to me by accident, and was on the shelf for a few years before i got interested (i had no book left to read) its really big, but i've read it 2 times by now.
hans has lots of books bout gardening, keeping ducks, chickens, pigeons,....
and i have books with all the different dog and cat-breeds, and some bout dogbehavior and training, books bout how to take care of guinea pigs and rabbits,...  a library that fits our little zoowink.gif
Hi Barbara honey! smile.gif

I'm sorry - I didn't see this post yesterday.

I do actually own a lot of books - mostly because I love them... its like owning LPs or CDs.. I like a collection.

But also because I was an English major at university so one buys a ton of books just to get through classes.

My university days were ages, and ages ago but I have all my texts still.

I start a new job next week.. I do accounting work... and the place I will be working, is a warehouse/distributor for academic English and Sociology texts... so I'm hoping, in time, to be able to acquire a few books that I've always wanted to read, but never have... more Dickens, Hardy, Austen etc... I love the classics.

I'll have to get the lay of the land - see if I'm allowed to purchase books directly from them.. but in time, maybe send some overseas... smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif ... start thinking of titles you might like.

Hi mates!

Aw ... that sounds so sweet. Shucks. smile.gif

Sorta kinda? laugh.gif  I'm hooked... they're fantastic... ! Not the sort of music one plays when one wants to really get cranked up... need screaming guitars for that... but... in the right time and place... Elbow are perfect. I'm very much looking forward to this show. Full report will follow.

You take care too Mick - thanks for coming by... we'll keep the bar stool warm for you.

[quote name='jbarnych wrote:

mick james']Hi mates!

Elbow are quite good. I quite fancy them myself. Hope you have a good day, Mick. Now it's off to bed with me. I've got to work in the morning.Goodnight and good day to all!

You have a good day too Jen... xx  ... sorry I missed you... Damn these time zones getting in the way of good chatter.

Well, thought I'd drop by for a coffee. On my way to watch the cricket in Birmingham. Taking a good book with me "The Shipping News" have read it twice before.. And plenty of good tunes on the Ipod..

Will be in later for a few beers and a catch up.

Hey Maggie! Good to see you!

I have not read The Shipping News, nor have I seen the movie - though I've wanted to do both for some time!

You know how sometimes, stuff just slips below the radar.. then just out of sight...

Enjoy the cricket. Catch up with you later. smile.gif

Stayed up way too late last night with TCH, drinking tequila and reliving our summer.

Oh Mich

Ouch. Tequila. Fun though.

Glad you two (U2) had a good time - despite the rough start to your day.

*kiss**kiss*

4:40

Not the only one to indulge in a bit to much tequila happy.gif.