Sign in to follow this  
hnicolaidesk

The Blue Room

some oooh la la for anyone who wants some oooh la la

http://arts.nationalpost..../28/with-or-without-him/

trans.gif

The hours passed, and we tried to seem inconspicuous to the hotel security guards. This was not helped by the fact that the three of us were loitering in the snowfall, wearing our best imitation U2 wardrobe. Our thick hair gel made us look more suspicious and unfortunately, gave us no extra insulation from the cold.

Morning came, and with it the realization that I was due at my part-time job at an athletic shoe store. Even though I had already invested 12 sleepless and frosty hours in a rock-star stalk-a-thon, skipping work didn’t even enter into my mind. I was brought up to be a good worker, a rule follower and a total square. I bid Jason and Mike farewell as I left them outside the hotel and headed up to my job at the mall.

At work, my boss set me to a most urgent and momentous task: marking down the prices on white tube socks. A couple hours ticked by, and then pals Jason and Mike appeared at the threshold of the store, with beaming smiles and a freshly developed envelope of photos practically leaping out of their fingers.

The mind works quickly at times like this: In a millionth of a second I knew that they had captured the elusive prize, while I was doing my part for tube sock discount hunters.

Out came the photos. There was Jason and Mike with Bono and The Edge. Not just one great picture, but several of them. I could feel the neural pathways in my brain collide and explode. I was smiling on the outside, crying on the inside and squeezing the price tag gun so tightly that it shot some sale tags fruitlessly into the carpet.

Monday at high school, the story buzzing around the hallways was not only that Jason and Mike had met U2, but that I had missed out on Irish gold. Ouch.

Flash forward to the summer of 2011. I decided to take my six-year-old son Nathan to see U2 in concert, to give him a thrill and share some familial bonding. Nathan loves U2’s music, and I’m proud that he knows that they’re cooler than The Wiggles.

As the concert approached, my symptoms began recurring. The nerve endings that were dormant since ’85 were starting to rattle and hum. I didn’t meet U2, but could my son Nathan possibly reach that stellar plane?

I knew that the band sometimes scooped kids out of the audience and let them roam around the stage. Nathan would be one of the few kids at the concert. He was the right age and he was cute. Perhaps my beloved boy, decked out with his first dollop of hair gel, could lift the family curse.

We had general admission tickets, which required lining up early to get close to the stage. Nathan was happy and excited.

When we got inside the stadium, our long wait paid off. We were right in front of the ramp that the band would walk on. I didn’t see any other kids around. This was it, the chance to overwrite my dorky history and give my son a wonderful story he could boast about for years to come.

The lights dimmed, and the concert began. Nathan was enthralled by the music and the splendour of the stage show. My heart started to race. Was it possible that U2 would actually reach out to my son?

During the song Elevation, the band made their way onto the ramp. As they approached, I hoisted Nathan up on my shoulders. The Edge was coming our way, and a close encounter was about to happen.

The black-capped wizard of reverb parked himself right in front of us, but instead of roaring with joy, Nathan urgently howled, “Put me down!!†He was overwhelmed by the closeness.

I dutifully lowered my son down to ground level, leaving just his eyes and mop of spiked hair visible over the metal railing. The dream of son-to-superstar contact was crumbling.

A moment later Bono sauntered in front of us. I spoke gently in my son’s ear, “Do you want me to hold you up so he can see you?â€

“NO!†Nathan shouted back.

I didn’t pressure him any further; in fact I didn’t want to burden him with my own insane quest. I wanted him to enjoy the concert and have a great memory of an experience together with his dad. I do admit that my mind returned briefly to the pile of discounted socks.

We had a fabulous time. Nathan jumped around to the music and sang along with the songs. Eventually Bono did bring a young boy onstage, and even though I had wished it were my kid, I was happy for him and his parents. I was at peace and my near-miss rocker affliction seemed to vanish.

The final notes of the concert rang out, and as soon as the lights came up, the roadies began disassembling the massive stage. Just then Nathan turned to me and said, “I’d like to go onstage with U2.†His sense of timing was as flawed as his father’s. Once again, I felt my neurons begin to melt.

I guess I’ll have to pass on the Bono challenge to my future grandchildren.

Posted in: Ampersand, Music  Tags: Bono, The Edge, U2, Weekend Post

I have a feeling little Nathan may regret that in later life and he'll write an article about his missed opportunity too!

Where is everyone?!! Anyway here's a nice pic for later when you come in, just kinda like itu2%20on%20street%20in%20nyc%20st%20patricks%20parade%20no%202.jpg

As this is the Blue Room ....dont know if I will get into trouble for this..my apoigies in advance...but I will take the chance!301389_272582662754091_100000070775881_1165449_7901579_n.jpg

[quote name='U2LAWoman wrote:

nikki1120']ahhhh the downside of extreme celebrity.....  
he probably doesn't care, but I feel kinda bad for him....
embarassed.gif

thanks nikki....i was just about to say that....frown.gif and btw...never seen an ass that white before..lol....yes..anjana......my eyes....my eyes....laugh.gifsmokin.gif

Me too.

I love Bono - I love U2.

But I don't want to have their private moments invaded.

That sort of action is not admiration - its stalking.

Where is everyone?!! Anyway here's a nice pic for later when you come in, just kinda like itu2%20on%20street%20in%20nyc%20st%20patricks%20parade%20no%202.jpg

Sorry.

Not been around.

Work.

Back to school.

Family stuff.

This Mama is gonna be sad by the time Monday rolls round - and both the K-lads are away to university.

frown.gif <--- Sad Mama K.

Anjana - that is a lovely photo.

Thank you! xxx

[quote name='hnicolaidesk wrote:

U2LAWoman wrote:

embarassed.gif

thanks nikki....i was just about to say that
frown.gif
and btw...never seen an ass that white before..lol....yes..anjana......my eyes....my eyes....
laugh.gifsmokin.gif

Me too.

I love Bono - I love U2.

But I don't want to have their private moments invaded.

That sort of action is not admiration - its stalking.

thats foriegn press for you Helen ...no one is safe..............

Wasn't the full moon last week??

laugh.giftouche!

[quote name='Anjana wrote:

cash0012']Wasn't the full moon last week??

roll.gifNo sleep tonightlaugh.gif

[quote name='123love wrote:

Anjana wrote:

cash0012']Wasn't the full moon last week??

roll.gifNo sleep tonightlaugh.gif

hmmm......anyone have a lasso?? (who saw that coming..laugh.gif)

jbarnych']Not so sure that Bono's arse is the first thing I want to see when I wake up...

laugh.giflaugh.gif

my eyes!!!!!! my eyes!!!!!!!!! embarassed.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gif

There should be a disclaimer in this thread laugh.gif

U2LAWoman wrote:

embarassed.gif

thanks nikki....i was just about to say that....
frown.gif
and btw...
never seen an ass that white before.
.lol....yes..anjana......my eyes....my eyes....
laugh.gifsmokin.gif

maybe that's why he was trying to get some sun directly on it, tan it up a bit tongue.gifHonestly - have none of you ever seen a bare Irish bum before - they are all that pasty and white!!!laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

[quote name='Zhivvy wrote:

Anjana wrote:

U2LAWoman']thanks nikki....i was just about to say that....
frown.gif
and btw...
laugh.gifsmokin.gif

maybe that's why he was trying to get some sun directly on it, tan it up a bit
tongue.gifHonestly - have none of you ever seen a bare Irish bum before - they are all that pasty and white!!!laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

and you would know!wink.gif

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:

Zhivvy wrote:

Anjana']

tongue.gif

Honestly - have none of you ever seen a bare Irish bum before - they are all that pasty and white!!!
laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

and you would know!wink.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gif*high fives Babs*roll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gif

[quote name='badgirl56 wrote:

barbara1 wrote:

Zhivvy']Honestly - have none of you ever seen a bare Irish bum before - they are all that pasty and white!!!
laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

and you would know!
wink.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gif*high fives Babs*roll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gif

ROFLMAO!!!!!! No comment wink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

[quote name='Zhivvy wrote:

Anjana wrote:

U2LAWoman']thanks nikki....i was just about to say that....
frown.gif
and btw...
laugh.gifsmokin.gif

tongue.gifHonestly - have none of you ever seen a bare Irish bum before - they are all that pasty and white!!!laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

and freckly too?!laugh.gif

[quote name=Anjana wrote:

U2LAWoman wrote:
nikki1120]ahhhh the downside of extreme celebrity.....  he probably doesn't care, but I feel kinda bad for him....fighting0056.gif

In all honesty the pic should removed , its an invasion of privacy, like did he consent to that ? If not , it honestly is a sin. If he did consent well we have a big exhabitionist in our hands , if thats so poor Paul Hewson has really got bored of partying :oO