Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

manon amos

Montreal, Quebec, Canada Crisis

Hello U2 fans,

You have probably heard about what started as student protests in Quebec, Canada. It was not ever about the tuition fees increase. It is about the mafia controlling cities like Montreal, a province: Quebec and a country: Canada. We have an Inquiry on the Corruption in Construction starting Tuesday, but it is runned by the governement of Quebec...what will it change?

We are fighting governments that refuse to negotiate, the press that is more and more controlled by the governement and a Police State because police officers are doing the goverments' jobs and they make arrests and hurt people (whatever language, sex and origin you are)...police officers have been hurt too...nothing bothers our governments. We are fortunate because no one died yet. Some world organizations, like Amnesty International, are with us. Arcade Fire and Mick Jagger supported us on Saturday Night Live last night and we wish to thank them: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/mick-jagger-and-arcade-fire-the-last-time/1402579

I am in the middle of this crisis that is taking the signs of a Revolution. A Revolution where corruption will not be tolerated anymore. Where the wealthy will not trample the poor with their riches anymore. I never thought that it would start in my hometown: Montreal, but I am proud of everybody's strength while being infiltrated by people (anarchists and police) who break everything and start fires. We have bruises (some people lost an eye) but we are going to change this world one march at a time! We will not stop until we win!

Manon Bibaud

It's pretty sad that this is even happening in our own country.

Where is the Prime Minister in all this. frown.gif

No sign of  Stephen Harper on the subject...I guess that Democracy and the well-being of the population of Canada are not part of his concerns. We sadly expected that.

Tonight there were massive arrests in Montreal and in Quebec.  A journalist saw a rock that was thrown after the police cornered 400+ protesters in Montreal...People were chanting with pots and pans like in Chile and now this...I can not believe my own eyes!  I fear that some people are going to become radicals and we will have people dying...protesters, police, etc. No one deserves this!

Two peaceful nightime protests in a row in Montreal...even during a thunderstorm with a tornado warning!

We have a lot of International support and we wish to thank everyone!

Negotiations between government, students and unions are set to start Monday...yes, unions...as in: There is a Social Crisis in Quebec! We wait while Bill 78 looses ground.

Local and International radicals have warned the Quebec government that police brutality has to stop. Being a pacifist I hope that we will not have more violence...I hope that it is the end of violence...

All we can do is: Protest and wait!

U2 fans, check out the Hearts and Minds section of this website here and review the many charitable causes that U2 is involved in:

hearts and minds

"The music of U2 has always been about heart and mind, body and soul. Down the years the band have succesfully thrown a spotlight on the work of key campaigning groups who are trying to make the world a better place.

From Amnesty International and Greenpeace through to DATA, ONE, (Product (RED) and the Chernobyl Childrens Project, U2 have used benefit concerts, songwriting, public campaigning, special visits and fund-raising projects to promote a range of charities and activist communities worldwide."

I've been inspired to sign up to receive helpful and informative email from one of the amnesty international sites, such as this one for the states:

http://www.amnestyusa.org

Thanks for this information, Manon

After 3 days of negotiations between the students and the government...no agreement, but they are still in negotiations. We have lost all faith in the government of course...mass arrests, people hurt, ristricted right to protest, ristricted rights for students, censorship, etc.

We are at the point where the UN and the Anonymous group help us more than the government and the police...very strange social climate! We have great support from people protesting all over the world and I wish to thank everyone.

Let's hope!

Last evening, the government representative left the negotiating table stating that no agreement could be reached.

A few arrests were made in Quebec no one in Montreal.

It does not mean that Montreal will be consumed by violence in the coming months...it means that there will be a lot of protests. Tourists will not be at risk if they avoid downtown Montreal and Quebec's Parliament at night.
Wish us a peaceful change!

Last evening, the government representative left the negotiating table stating that no agreement could be reached.
A few arrests were made in Quebec no one in Montreal.

It does not mean that Montreal will be consumed by violence in the coming months...it means that there will be a lot of protests. Tourists will not be at risk if they avoid downtown Montreal and Quebec's Parliament at night.
Wish us a peaceful change!
I wish you peaceful change, but hold tight to eachother and stay strong through good communication, like twitter.

No changes and most people are angry. A lot more protests to come! We will never give up until the Elections! 

Thank You for all your support!

After a half summer of protests and discussions.  We (students and the population) are preparing to continue our strike in a climate of Elections which will take place on September 4th, 2012.  The tensions are still there...We are in Phase 2. 

I'm not up on the news and i have limited media access right now. I've heard of some problems from my neighbor who is from Montreal. This sounds really intense. Sending love, support and gratitude that you are safe.

A minority Parti Québécois government was elected and at the moment that Prime Minister, Pauline Marois, was giving her speech this happened : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MXVCa0pTHQ

The Parti Québécois has traditionally been seen as a French-speaking party, but anyone could of voted for the PQ on September 4th.
The gunman spoke some English, but he is clearly mentally ill.
At the moment there is a French-English clash and it needs to be stopped.
I started a Facebook page on the matter: https://www.facebook.com/respectquebec
We are taking things one day at a time.

Tomorrow on October 1st there will be a fundraising show to financially help the daughter of  the technician killed on election day. People will also be able to give a donation to the other technician injured on that tragic night. Celine Dion and Arcade Fire are the top Montreal artists: http://montrealmetropolis.ca/metropolis/concert-en.aspx?idConcert=970

This event will hopefully bring people together!