Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

febottini

U2 playing in the Olympics?

Akshai Sarin to jam alongside U2 at the Olympics!

While Indian sportspersons are all set to make the country proud at the upcoming 2012 London Olympic Games starting on July 27, musician Akshai Sarin is gearing up to do the same.

The Mumbai lad has been specially invited to perform at the launch of the Walk A Mile campaign at the Hospital Club on July 24, an exclusive pre-Olympic event that will have luminaries such as Bill and Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama, Richard Branson and Warren Buffett in attendance. International artistes such as U2, Alanis Morissette and Peter Gabriel are among the musicians who are also slated to perform at this star-studded evening.

Talking to TOI about how this invitation came about, an excited Akshai says, "I've been touring Europe for the past two months with my latest album, and I happened to meet the manager of a famous band in London last week (he refuses to tell us who, as he's bound by a non-disclosure agreement).

He heard the tracks, liked it and suggested that we collaborate on the band's upcoming album. A couple of days later, he emailed me saying there's an amazing event on July 24 in London and that the organisers would like to invite me to perform. When he told me exactly what it was, I was over the moon. This is totally beyond my wildest imagination, so I'm very proud to be representing India on such a huge platform!" says Akshai.

As for the material he'll be performing there, it will include original compositions from Connected — a set of upbeat house and dubstep tracks with an Indian twist. "I'll have a drummer, a percussionist and an amazing female vocalist called Taynah Reis from Brazil on stage with me. Bill Clinton is bringing his saxophone, and I've heard Bono from U2 and the other performers may join us on stage for a jam at the end. So it really doesn't get any bigger than this!"

The invitation-only event will play host to 100 people and the guestlist includes members of royal families, heads of state, music and media legends.

From: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/music/news-and-interviews/Akshai-Sarin-to-jam-alongside-U2-at-the-Olympics/articleshow/15016771.cms

You find the most amazing articles! If these big name artists have been slated to perform, including Bono, you'd think they would tell us here! Oh no, I forgot, they never post this kind of news for us here . . . frown.gifeyes.gifohwell.gif

I suppose Muse will be playing cause of their Olympics song but U2?

Now that'd be a real scoop

You find the most amazing articles! If these big name artists have been slated to perform, including Bono, you'd think they would tell us here! Oh no, I forgot, they never post this kind of news for us here . . . frown.gifeyes.gifohwell.gif

Thanks! I´m responsible for the news in the UltraViolet U2 Fan Club Brazil website. So, I´m always looking for new articles.

I guess only Bono can join them for a jam. But not the all band.

And I think if Bono really does that it´s because of the campaign 'Walk A Mile'. Just because it´s a humanitarian cause. That´s my opinion.

Well, hopefully we'll get to see a clip of it if he does!

I read this over on FB the other day - seems a bit odd that all these big names and yet none announced on official olympic sites.

All the gigs going on at the same time as the Olympics are not part of the Olympics they are a seperate entity you will find.

BT London Live in Hyde Park and Victoria Park over the 4 weeks are not to be called Olympic concerts because of copyright and yes i know this to be 100% correct because i work with a band that are playing there (just before anyone doubts what i say).

I´ve just received an email from Taynah Reis, a Brazilian vocal - who is mentioned in the article - and she said which is in the article is not true!

streets with no name and beautiful day played but cd not live  when syria walked in the stadium

the Queen parachuting with James Bond was the highlight for me, not bad for an 80 year old ;0)

the Queen parachuting with James Bond was the highlight for me, not bad for an 80 year old ;0)

That was hysterical!!! laugh.gif

The ceremony was great fun, massively overblown but still awesome - the James Bond/Queen sketch, all the Industrial Revolution stuff, Arctic Monkeys covering The Beatles (main highlight for me), Rowan Atkinson on the keyboard, and the boyfriend & girlfriend dancing to Uprising by Muse. Although, mind you, it amazed me just how badly Paul McCartney sang Hey Jude at the end.

[quote name='Janette B wrote:

joshthetree']the Queen parachuting with James Bond was the highlight for me, not bad for an 80 year old ;0)

That was hysterical!!! wink.gif God Save Her ! ! ! cute.gif 

[quote name='electricco wrote:

Janette B wrote:

joshthetree']the Queen parachuting with James Bond was the highlight for me, not bad for an 80 year old ;0)

That was hysterical!!! wink.gif God Save Her ! ! ! cute.gif 

Not if she's not invited laugh.gif

If you watched the Summer Olympics opening ceremony on Friday night, you may have heard U2's "Where The Streets Have No Name" and "Beautiful Day" playing in the stadium as some of the athletes walked in the parade of nations. And you may have noticed that "Streets" sounded a little different.

That's because it's a brand new mix of the song called "Where the Streets Have No Name (High Contrast Remix)," and it's available now on the official Isles Of Wonder opening ceremony album via iTunes or via Amazon MP3. Unfortunately, the remix is marked as "album only," meaning you'll have to fork over $20 (USD) and get the full collection of songs if you want this one.

High Contrast is the stage name of Lincoln Barrett, a DJ/producer that remixed several of the songs that were used during the opening ceremony.

iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/isles-wonder-music-for-opening/id548469988

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Isles-Of-Wonder-Opening-Ceremony/dp/B008QAYB4W/u201

The ceremony was great fun, massively overblown but still awesome - the James Bond/Queen sketch, all the Industrial Revolution stuff, Arctic Monkeys covering The Beatles (main highlight for me), Rowan Atkinson on the keyboard, and the boyfriend & girlfriend dancing to Uprising by Muse. Although, mind you, it amazed me just how badly Paul McCartney sang Hey Jude at the end.
It really was fun! Definitely an opening ceremony I'll remember for awhile which I cannot say for others I've seen, lol. The whole Chariots of Fire scene, the torch arriving via speedboat- never really noticed Beckham before, but he looked kinda great, all the dancing and music, even the creepy baby, lol!!! Loved the sense of humor throughout - well done. I fell asleep towards the end of the parade of athletes and still have to watch Arctic Monkeys and Paul McCartney, but my husband who stayed awake agreed that Hey Jude sounded poor - too bad on that.

So I was wondering why didn't Muse play, given that their song had been chosen to represent the Olympics?
I was a little disappointed for that but the rest of the show was cool, a bit long tho

[quote name='danielsentana wrote:

peterferris8']The ceremony was great fun, massively overblown but still awesome - the James Bond/Queen sketch, all the Industrial Revolution stuff, Arctic Monkeys covering The Beatles (main highlight for me), Rowan Atkinson on the keyboard, and the boyfriend & girlfriend dancing to Uprising by Muse. Although, mind you, it amazed me just how badly Paul McCartney sang Hey Jude at the end.

So I was wondering why didn't Muse play, given that their song had been chosen to represent the Olympics?

I was a little disappointed for that but the rest of the show was cool, a bit long tho

I've heard that Muse might be playing the closing ceremony.

If you watched the Summer Olympics opening ceremony on Friday night, you may have heard U2's "Where The Streets Have No Name" and "Beautiful Day" playing in the stadium as some of the athletes walked in the parade of nations. And you may have noticed that "Streets" sounded a little different.

That's because it's a brand new mix of the song called "Where the Streets Have No Name (High Contrast Remix)," and it's available now on the official Isles Of Wonder opening ceremony album via iTunes or via Amazon MP3. Unfortunately, the remix is marked as "album only," meaning you'll have to fork over $20 (USD) and get the full collection of songs if you want this one.

High Contrast is the stage name of Lincoln Barrett, a DJ/producer that remixed several of the songs that were used during the opening ceremony.

iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/isles-wonder-music-for-opening/id548469988

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Isles-Of-Wonder-Opening-Ceremony/dp/B008QAYB4W/u201

Ok..gotta say that just makes me mad. mad.gif  Why is it "album only?"  Because they're banking on that being a song to carry the album and make money b/c they know that U2 fans want EVERYTHING they do.

And does anyone know if there has been an official release of the Elbow song?

[quote name='peterferris8 wrote:

danielsentana wrote:

peterferris8']The ceremony was great fun, massively overblown but still awesome - the James Bond/Queen sketch, all the Industrial Revolution stuff, Arctic Monkeys covering The Beatles (main highlight for me), Rowan Atkinson on the keyboard, and the boyfriend & girlfriend dancing to Uprising by Muse. Although, mind you, it amazed me just how badly Paul McCartney sang Hey Jude at the end.

I've heard that Muse might be playing the closing ceremony.cooolpimp.gif

[quote name='joshthetree wrote:

peterferris8 wrote:

danielsentana']So I was wondering why didn't Muse play, given that their song had been chosen to represent the Olympics?

I've heard that Muse might be playing the closing ceremony.
cooolpimp.gif

what did anyone think of that 'streets' remix??smokin.gif