Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anjana

Zoo Musical Review!

Hey zooies, wondered if you'd be interested in sharing your reviews about bands and new albums in here?  

The Killers thread was interesting to read and I don't know about you but I'm quite bored with listening to the same ol thing and would really like your recommendations - am quite out of touch to be honest and looking for new stuff.

Help me!!laugh.gif

I bought the new Elbow album (Dead in the Boot) t'other day - I dunno about it tho - I love Elbow, have most of their albums but this one left me, well bored, to be honest. I do admire how they haven't caved to commercial pressure and stuck to their great, almost geeky in a nice way, experiments with sound but can't say I enjoyed this album much - a grower maybe?

Anyone else have any views on it?

Thanx Maggie (and hi!happy.gif) I'll check out Black Keys on youtube. 

I haven't quite got into Muse (Peter may have me on that one!) but I keep hearing them everywhere and they haven't quite hit the mark with me yet, I still need convincing lol

muse , killers , angels and airwaves, airborne toxic event

I bought the new Elbow album (Dead in the Boot) t'other day - I dunno about it tho - I love Elbow, have most of their albums but this one left me, well bored, to be honest. I do admire how they haven't caved to commercial pressure and stuck to their great, almost geeky in a nice way, experiments with sound but can't say I enjoyed this album much - a grower maybe?

I love Elbow! Saw them twice live! And also bought their new album, didn't had the time to take a good listen, heard some good songs, but wasn't as impressed as I was with 'Build A Rocket Boys'. But absolutely love Guy Garvey! I think he's the second best front man ever, after Bono of course ;)

[quote name='maarten wrote:

Anjana']

I love Elbow! Saw them twice live! And also bought their new album, didn't had the time to take a good listen, heard some good songs, but wasn't as impressed as I was with 'Build A Rocket Boys'. But absolutely love Guy Garvey! I think he's the second best front man ever, after Bono of course ;)

I've seen them twice too. Excellent. Thing about this one is that it's a b-sides and rarities collection so it's probably not gonna quite match up with the quality of the studio albums.

New Muse album is awesome, very varied stuff. Supremacy and Liquid State are the top tracks on there for me cos they rock the most. I think Follow Me is much better than Unsustainable if we're talking dubstep attempts. Save Me, Panic Station, Animals and Isolated System are the other essentials on it - but the rest of the album is still far superior to The Resistance.

Switchfoot - saw them last night. LOVED them!!

Airborne Toxic Event

Mutemath

Florence and the Machine

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

Silversun Pickups

Metric

Bush

I like the Black Keys, but they are WAY overplayed on the alternative and rock radio around here. 

I enjoyed the Shins' Port of Morrow this summer. Have you heard Garbage's new album? On my list to check out because I've either heard their songs on the HD2 and HD3 Alternative/Indie stations with my new HD radio or they were recommended on the @U2 board are: The Lumineers, XX, Passion Pit, The Afghan Whigs and The Gaslight Anthem.

Just saw this from Jools Holland's show - http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/09/watch-muse-and-the-xx-perform-on-jools-holland/ I really like Angels by XX live.

Im watching the X Factor on television, and Im loving all of the fresh, new talent thats appearing in auditions...

the future of music is gonna be quite bright indeed!

so very much talent!!

very exciting to watch these up and comers

Im watching the X Factor on television, and Im loving all of the fresh, new talent thats appearing in auditions...

so very much talent!!

Is it good this year Spicy? can't remember if it's first or second season in America (is Pop Idol still on too over there?)

XFactor has lost its appeal for me here, there are some great voices out there and I'm usually addicted to the sheer comedy of the auditions but this time I've switched over, not enjoying it, has become a bit freak show at this end!

Switchfoot - saw them last night. LOVED them!!

Airborne Toxic Event

Mutemath

Florence and the Machine

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

Silversun Pickups

Metric

Bush

I like the Black Keys, but they are WAY overplayed on the alternative and rock radio around here. 

I enjoyed the Shins' Port of Morrow this summer. Have you heard Garbage's new album? On my list to check out because I've either heard their songs on the HD2 and HD3 Alternative/Indie stations with my new HD radio or they were recommended on the @U2 board are: The Lumineers, XX, Passion Pit, The Afghan Whigs and The Gaslight Anthem.

Just saw this from Jools Holland's show - http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/09/watch-muse-and-the-xx-perform-on-jools-holland/ I really like Angels by XX live.

Wow this is brilliant, thank you! BBC have stopped some of the vids from showing but saw Angels which I love.thumbsup.gif.  Garbage was one I was interested in too, if you get it let me know what you think and have been meaning to listen to Noel, I will add that to the Amazon list!

Cheers m'dearsmokin.gif

Some great suggestions here, thank you all and  keep 'em coming and add on your views and reviews!

I am musing about Muse....wink.gif I should give 'em a go! 

Has anyone heard Velociraptor by Kasabian? Heard a couple of tracks but a bit samey tho I liked West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum

I found this review on Kaiser Chief's Medieval on Amazon, interesting idea, - has anyone done this/is it any good? 

bbc_logo2.gif Review

Leeds’ Kaiser Chiefs aren’t a band immediately associated with innovation – their perky indie-pop has livened up many a festival with a series of "nah-nah-nah-nah-nah"-style nonsense, but their popularity has never been founded upon originality. But the five-piece have looked to a potential future for music distribution for their fourth album, allowing fans to compile their own version of The Future Is Medieval from their official website. What this means is that one buyer will receive a very different set to the next (you can even choose your own cover); and what it means for the reviewer is that their critical take might not relate at all to the reader’s experience.

Putting fans in control is very nice, of course (and the website interface is a lot of fun). But what does it mean for the band? Could they not decide between these 20 songs? The Future Is Medieval can’t be seen as any true statement, artistically, because the product is so flexible. This is not Kaiser Chiefs "doing a Radiohead" – Radiohead presented a very definite release (with both In Rainbows and The King of Limbs), suitably sequenced by the makers themselves. Do the Kaisers care not for the album format? (Arguably, no – they have always seemed a singles band first.) This is a mix-tape really, not a long-player in the traditional sense. And before listening to any of these tracks, the cynical can see its launch as a way of distracting from the diminishing returns of the band’s music over their three previous collections. Off With Their Heads? More like Get This Off My Stereo, Thanks.

Listen, though, and it does become clear that this is a new Kaisers in more than a servicing sense – they’ve upped their creative ante somewhat, a number of these songs (assuming you pick the ‘right’ ones) coming across as more measured and mature, and a heck of a lot gloomier, than the upbeat bounce-alongs of old. Lead single Little Shocks goes some way to showcasing this murkier atmosphere – where before there was shiny hooks, here the chorus doesn’t leap from the speakers and the whole piece swells with unexpected drama. Can’t Mind My Own Business is indie-pop trapped in a Tron cabinet, while Heard It Break is a sinister sibling of something The Human League might write. Starts With Nothing examines the transitory nature of fortune, of wealth monetary and emotional – it’s rudimentary lyrically, but nevertheless a significant tonal shift for an act predominantly associated with anthems for football terraces. Child of the Jago claims, "This is your nightmare calling" – not quite, but there’s no doubt that the Kaisers have been exploring their darker side, with some exceptional results.

The Future Is Medieval is impossible to review as an album proper, because it’s not. It’s what you make it, literally, and as a result it can be as good, or as bad, as the listener designs it to be. Personally, it seems like a great marketing exercise (or worse, given the rewards to fans for selling their own version, like street-teaming) rather than a memorable music event. Will it change how albums are made? Of course not – artists already know that buyers will choose to download particular songs; all that’s different here is that you have to make that number up to 10 (although some will 'buy twice', downloading all of the songs available). Will it boost the Kaisers’ profile at a time when their stock’s at an all-time low since the breakout days of debut LP Employment? Absolutely, hence all of these words here. Which are worthless, of course, because this is not an album.

--Mike Diver

Some great suggestions here, thank you all and  keep 'em coming and add on your views and reviews!

Has anyone heard Velociraptor by Kasabian? Heard a couple of tracks but a bit samey tho I liked West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum

Some great suggestions here, thank you all and  keep 'em coming and add on your views and reviews!

I got it from the library when the lead singer started mouthing off about U2 last year. I didn't care for it, but apparently they are a big deal in Europe? 

I do like Muse as well. I'm loving Madness, but it's hit and miss w/ them. I just got The Killers new CD, but haven't had time to listen to it. eek.gif

I haven't listened to the entire Garbage album, but I did like Blood for Poppies which played on the radio often this summer.

I do like Port of Morrow by The Shins. They were new to me this summer too. 

This is what going to a U2 concert does to you. You want to hear good music again and you have to go hunting to fill the void. wink.gif

Hope you enjoy the hunt! smile.gif

Great idea Anj.... I need some new music too....  Didn't realize Muse had a new one.  I've been off them lately, but gotta check it out....  THANKS!  I'll try some of the other suggestions too  thumbsup.gif

[quote name='Anjana wrote:

xtraspicy62']Im watching the X Factor on television, and Im loving all of the fresh, new talent thats appearing in auditions...

so very much talent!!

Is it good this year Spicy? can't remember if it's first or second season in America (is Pop Idol still on too over there?)

XFactor has lost its appeal for me here, there are some great voices out there and I'm usually addicted to the sheer comedy of the auditions but this time I've switched over, not enjoying it, has become a bit freak show at this end!

Anjana

I dont think Pop Idol was ever here in the states....I dont remember seeing it around.

Over here, it seems we went from American Idol straight to the X Factor.

Ive seen some incredible raw talent on this seasons show....and despite the corny-ness at times, its rolicking good fun.

Like you, I have fun watching the bad auditions, the really unique and interesting ones, and the talented ones who are born with a gift!

The other night, I saw this young lady, Lauren Jauregui, who is only 16...

Shes raw, a beginner, but if you listen to her sing all the way through, you can hear and see her talent come out.

This is what lights a fire inside me: raw, new, unsigned talent. Love seeing all the potential, possibilities, and hopefully, the future-right there, brand new, on that stage.

who will make it? who will choke?

listen to lauren starting at :35 sec

Check out her little songbird at 1:42

start watching at the 3 minute and 43 second part..that is where she starts to kick it up to full gear...

only 15 years old, Dinah Jane Hansen:

I've heard new songs by Soundgarden and Deftones. 2 awesome bands, both have albums coming out in November, really excited!

I've heard new songs by Soundgarden and Deftones. 2 awesome bands, both have albums coming out in November, really excited!

I will have to check them out pete...Im just itching for some great new music!!!

ps-I hear Alicia Keys drop her newest album, Girl On Fire, in November as well....

Lots of new albums in time for the holidays!

**does anyone think U2 will come up with some thing for the holidays, such as a collaboration?

Editors are great! I saw them live at Rock Werchter, what an amazing show! The audience is amazing and the band is in great shape!

Editors are great! I saw them live at Rock Werchter, what an amazing show! The audience is amazing and the band is in great shape!

Got into them a while before their last album was released. Great band, deserve a lot more recognition over here than what they actually get.

hmmm lots of food for thought here.  Thought I hadn't heard much new from the Kaisers lately, quite liked their quirky albums, so checked them out on Amazon, their album The Future is Medieval is kinda interesting. Here's a BBC review I copied from the site (sorry it's a bit long!)

bbc_logo2.gif Review

Leeds’ Kaiser Chiefs aren’t a band immediately associated with innovation – their perky indie-pop has livened up many a festival with a series of "nah-nah-nah-nah-nah"-style nonsense, but their popularity has never been founded upon originality. But the five-piece have looked to a potential future for music distribution for their fourth album, allowing fans to compile their own version of The Future Is Medieval from their official website. What this means is that one buyer will receive a very different set to the next (you can even choose your own cover); and what it means for the reviewer is that their critical take might not relate at all to the reader’s experience.

Putting fans in control is very nice, of course (and the website interface is a lot of fun). But what does it mean for the band? Could they not decide between these 20 songs? The Future Is Medieval can’t be seen as any true statement, artistically, because the product is so flexible. This is not Kaiser Chiefs "doing a Radiohead" – Radiohead presented a very definite release (with both In Rainbows and The King of Limbs), suitably sequenced by the makers themselves. Do the Kaisers care not for the album format? (Arguably, no – they have always seemed a singles band first.) This is a mix-tape really, not a long-player in the traditional sense. And before listening to any of these tracks, the cynical can see its launch as a way of distracting from the diminishing returns of the band’s music over their three previous collections. Off With Their Heads? More like Get This Off My Stereo, Thanks.

Listen, though, and it does become clear that this is a new Kaisers in more than a servicing sense – they’ve upped their creative ante somewhat, a number of these songs (assuming you pick the ‘right’ ones) coming across as more measured and mature, and a heck of a lot gloomier, than the upbeat bounce-alongs of old. Lead single Little Shocks goes some way to showcasing this murkier atmosphere – where before there was shiny hooks, here the chorus doesn’t leap from the speakers and the whole piece swells with unexpected drama. Can’t Mind My Own Business is indie-pop trapped in a Tron cabinet, while Heard It Break is a sinister sibling of something The Human League might write. Starts With Nothing examines the transitory nature of fortune, of wealth monetary and emotional – it’s rudimentary lyrically, but nevertheless a significant tonal shift for an act predominantly associated with anthems for football terraces. Child of the Jago claims, "This is your nightmare calling" – not quite, but there’s no doubt that the Kaisers have been exploring their darker side, with some exceptional results.

The Future Is Medieval is impossible to review as an album proper, because it’s not. It’s what you make it, literally, and as a result it can be as good, or as bad, as the listener designs it to be. Personally, it seems like a great marketing exercise (or worse, given the rewards to fans for selling their own version, like street-teaming) rather than a memorable music event. Will it change how albums are made? Of course not – artists already know that buyers will choose to download particular songs; all that’s different here is that you have to make that number up to 10 (although some will 'buy twice', downloading all of the songs available). Will it boost the Kaisers’ profile at a time when their stock’s at an all-time low since the breakout days of debut LP Employment? Absolutely, hence all of these words here. Which are worthless, of course, because this is not an album.