Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

basher1

Bono Musician or Save the World'er???

Alright you two, go to your corners

And come out fighting!!!

"Let's get it on!"

kidding

Hello Sigma957: Haven't had a chance to say hello til now. This isn't fighting. It's DISCUSSING. We'll have Love & Peace Or Else! Lol. All I know is when I saw where you said "Let's get it on!" I just thought of that sweet, sexy song that says "I'm asking you to get it on with me" (Marvin Gaye)

Speaking of warnings, this is a Great song but let me add this word of Wisdom to women everywhere: Don't believe the guy in the song saying 'giving yourself to me could never be wrong if the love is true' - there's only one way you can begin to know if HIS love is "true" - he needs to put a ring on it! BEFORE. Other than that: a Great, sweet, sexy song! A classic. Did I get off track a little? But it was for a good cause: MUSIC. (Well if that's not turning the tables.) happy.gif

"If you believe in love, let's get it on. Oooh, let's get it on baby!" cute.gif ( embarassed.gif Just kidding! )

"We're all sensitive people / with so much to share. Understand me sugar." (From 'Let's Get It On' sung by Marvin Gaye.) Any other lyrics-people here? When it comes to popular music, I'm a lyrics-person. (I appreciate & love all the aspects of music, though.)

I will leave the impatient-for-more-songs people with these words of comfort & wisdom from the inspired poetry of Bono's lyrics:

And if your way should falter

along the stony pass,

it's just a moment.

This time will pass.

NO DEBATE.......HE'S BOTH
Why no debate??....just because you say???....nah sorry musician first.

[quote name='Alma1 wrote:

basher1']i believe there is a "debate" going on in the subs side about The Bono and his save the world etc stuff.

Got me thinking that for me Bono is a singer in a band that is what i pay my hard earned for and that it will always be like that, i have kids and family of my own and they are my priority, where is all the billions gone from all the charadee work over all those years???

At the end of the day Bono saving the world only exists because of the band he is in and because of his day job if he wasn't the lead singer of u2 then his saving the world wouldn't exist so i say get back in the studio lad and do what you were here to do in the first place......SING (and play the guitar badly...lol).

What the heck is the "subs" side?

Your comment about your kids & your own family being your priority is Ridiculous. What the heck is even your point? Because you have family members that means you don't have 30 seconds to sign a petition online? You Never have 1 & 1/2 minute out of an entire Month to pick up your phone & tell an elected official - who works for YOU - that he'd better vote for something that will save tens of thousands of kids' lives instead of another tax-break for a huge, wealthy corporation? Just because you have kids that means only yours deserve to breath air & have food to stay alive? Hey, join civilization & the modern era. The way you talk sounds like something out of the Dark Ages.

And about what you said about Bono being able to save the world only because of the band: that's Ridiculous - you talk as if it's a 1-way street. IT'S NOT. Yes, Bono has a platform - U2 - from which to do his humanitarian work - but guess what? BONO BUILT THAT PLATFORM. Without Bono U2 would NEVER have gotten famous the way that it has, so please just stop acting like you can't have a life without a new album or some other new toy every time you turn around. It sounds incredibly childish & whingeing. And spoiled rotten. And Bono is not a puppet on a string at your beck & call.

Also, that stuff about the supposed "billions" that you think someone owes you an accounting of: you're just pulling that out of the air & you know it. You haven't ACTUALLY read anything about any mismanagement of funds or charity scandal associated with Bono AND YOU KNOW IT. It just sounds like something you think you can say to try to tear down a HERO like Bono - for what? For the sake of you supposedly needing your newest, shiny bit of Entertainment? When I hear anyone trying to tear down a hero I always can't help but wonder about the possibility of jealousy. How would I know? But it's always a possibility. Just sayin'. People who talk the way you do are the kind of people Bono was talking about when he said that people complaining on the sidelines about his humanitarian work are the ones WHO WOULDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO on the field IF they were on it - which they're not. In other words, they're just like armchair-quarterbacks. Easy for them to say 'what they think is what' about something they've never done themselves. rolleyes.gif

Oh dear another arrogant deluded fool that has no clue whatsoever, my family is more important to me than anything else in the world so shut it simple as that telling people they are wrong and making long winded stories that are sending people to sleep, if you wanrt to sign petitions etc you go ahead and do that but this is all about opinions and opinions are like arseholes everyone has one so stop being an arrogant irritating fool and take others opinions on board without trying to dictate to people what they should or should not do.

would not surprise me in the least if you are one of these people who doesn't actually do anything but shouts your mouth off about others not doing anything.

like i say MY family comes first not others you don't like it TOUGH go cry somewhere else.

[quote name='Alma1 wrote:

basher1 wrote:

gibbo1968']I'm with larry lol

Agreed, i really think u2 have lost many fans and many more potential fans because people were/are sick and tired of Bono banging on about it all as Billy Connolly once said about Sting and can be used the same with Bono "pick up your f'ing guitar and get back to work".

I think he has done more harm than good with regards to the band and yeah he may be passionate about it but he's not have been able to do it without being a member of u2.....Musician first in my opinion.

Hi Gibbo: I want to be sure you know the comment below is for Basher. You & I have gotten to know each other better & I understand you! But I don't know Basher or understand him so...

Basher: Hello. Just sayin' - Funny how I know all about Sting & his music - but never heard of Billy Connolly. (I don't know - maybe I should have? Maybe I'll find out he's someone famous I should have known about & I'll be embarrassed. But for now...I don't remember hearing of him before.) I also know U2. Massively. And Your music? Sincerely asking: Should I know it? I'm serious - no offense if you're a musician, but I'm just making a point that I think should be kind of obvious, so I won't waste your time trying to explain it or spell it out. As far as you thinking U2 have lost "many" fans, etc because of Bono being a decent human being & a Hero: Where's your evidence of their fans supposedly disappearing? Get real. And anyone who Would stop being a U2 fan over Bono being a Hero was never a real U2 fan to begin with - & never 'Got' them to begin with. Good riddance. It's not as if The World's Largest Band can't afford to lose a few so-called 'fans' who don't really 'get' U2 anyways & do nothing but whine & complain about them anyways.

What was all that red-warning stuff - I mean we're all U2 fans - right? Or are we? Do you know something we don't know like...is there a spy here from a competing band? Just trying to stir up trouble? Trying to get us all pitted against each other - divide and conquer & all that stuff? Well...they can't. We are: The House Of U2. We are diverse - different ones of us like different things about U2 - but The House Of U2 is Strong BECAUSE of it. I have believed that for years now. A house does not only have doors - it also has a roof. It also needs its foundation. Etc. U2 is strong because of Edge & Bono & Larry & Adam & their producer & etc & their Fans. You weren't trying to warn us about a serial killer were you? This could get INteresting. But it doesn't need to get that interesting. We're an interesting bunch enough as it is!smile.gif

Oh dear Bonos a hero????......erm no hes a musician who does some charity work im afraid, you delousions about Bono is laughable, i find it hard that you do not know Billy Connolly after all he done a lot of the same things as Bono during Live Aid and loads of other thins like Amnesty etc etc so obviously you don't know as much as you are trying to make out.

And what the hell are you gibbering about serial killer????.....wow totally mental i really hope u2 have you on their "watch oout for this nutter" list. 

I rarely sign petitions anymore. And Amnesty International can suck it for thinking its a good idea that Americans can't exercise their second ammendment rights.

Tools.

rant/

I rarely sign petitions anymore. And Amnesty International can suck it for thinking its a good idea that Americans can't exercise their second ammendment rights.

Tools.

rant/

Same goes for the European Court of Human Rights total joke they are.

Oh dear U2 wouldn't have been as famous if it wasn't for bono and his political stuff alma?

my arse!

Remember he wasn't saving the poor in africa before live aid and they were doin reasonably well by then(not that i'm using that as a point scorer)

But to sum it up before I go into a 1000 word dissertation as basher said opinions are like arseholes we all have one.

Alma1 -

Saying that U2 were only famous because of Bono is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in my life. What about Edge's guitar style? Or Adam and Larry's talents? Are you saying that Bono's the only member of the band with any talent? If so, then you really need to relisten to some of their music. Without Larry, U2 wouldn't even have formed!

I'm with Basher, U2 have lost fans who are bored sick of Bono preaching 60% of the time.

And here we go again about 'real' U2 fans! You're just like that Arngrim guy who came along last year going on about how anyone who didn't like a particular thing that U2 were doing wasn't a true fan to begin with. There are no 'true' U2 fans. There are only U2 fans.

Bono is not a hero. He's a singer. He is a musician in a band, so he should really be spending more time with the band and less time with the politicians - right now the situation is vice versa.

Alma1 -

Saying that U2 were only famous because of Bono is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in my life. What about Edge's guitar style? Or Adam and Larry's talents? Are you saying that Bono's the only member of the band with any talent? If so, then you really need to relisten to some of their music. Without Larry, U2 wouldn't even have formed!

I'm with Basher, U2 have lost fans who are bored sick of Bono preaching 60% of the time.

And here we go again about 'real' U2 fans! You're just like that Arngrim guy who came along last year going on about how anyone who didn't like a particular thing that U2 were doing wasn't a true fan to begin with. There are no 'true' U2 fans. There are only U2 fans.

Bono is not a hero. He's a singer. He is a musician in a band, so he should really be spending more time with the band and less time with the politicians - right now the situation is vice versa.

Alma1 -

Cheers Pete lad you are 100% correct

i am beginning to think Alma is a troll.

Alma1 -

Cheers Pete lad you are 100% correct

i am beginning to think Alma is a troll.

true statement..

i dont see the validity in suggesting singer and activist need to be mutually exclusive. And , I think people who's efforts save lives can aptly be called "hero"

yes, there are LEVELS of hero, there are LEVELS of bravery.........so, the men that rushed into the burning twin towers were MORE brave than Bono , BIGGER heroes than Bono or any other rock star for that matter.

there's always been , in the history of rock and roll, or at least starting with the Beatles (probably before, i havent done my homework on this) the combination of musicians and activists. I don't see where the argument is or what the problem is.

Yes, I HIGHLY DISAGREE with alma on the "u2 is ONLY famous because of Bono"...on the other hand , there are degrees of fame and I think their fame went a lot higher with Bono as frontman.

If anyone is intimating that Bono is the kind of guy who just shows up for the strategic photo shoot , stamps his name on a charity and then jumps in his private jet to drink wine and eat caviar in the hills of southern France - he or she is SADLY and SORELY mistaken!!!! how much involvement he actually has - NONE OF US KNOW....BUT ITS MORE THAN THAT!!!!

why in the world cant fans of the group , (who I AGREE , all of you are ) BE PROUD of what bono does? If the rest of the band can and does put up with it , why cant we?

i watch the past concerts on dvd , and YES , I LOVE the ones better where Bono is not preaching a lot.

Streets , ZooTV style is way better , in my opinion than streets vertigo from chicago

but, am i bored to tears with it? not really

PopMart , ZooTV ......I enjoy those a lot better than some of the more recent shows where bono talks a lot.

doesnt mean i dont enjoy the others

REAL fans? people who like u2!!!! with or without the criticism

the music, the music , the music!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! its kept me entertained, its kept me sane sometimes, got me through some stuff, etc, etc, etc.

All the other stuff has just been topics for arguments. Yes, I LIKE the fact that our band are generally good guys , (and one has a "massive messianic complex"), and I LIKE the fact that the lead singer TRIES to help people

"a lot of people expect a lot of things from u2, but we're just u2....and we speak"

what can i say , they give me what i'm looking for.

Lilijbau, I think people are extremely proud of what Bono does, the awareness he has bought to the millons and to governments to help with great causes that we all believe in and have followed for many years, many of the above are part of Amnesty International for example and contribute to the charities, but what they are trying to say is:

The Music is the most important part of the U2, the band has given our great frontman the opportunity to raise awareness of many great causes, U2 are all the lads and should not function without all parts, just look what happened to INXS, god love them.

Peace & Love

ps All I want for christmas is the news of a new album & tour, so I can go & see my boys

Lads, getting a bit worried that we are spending a lot of time in the zoo

Bash, agree with troll comment

why in the world cant fans of the group , (who I AGREE , all of you are ) BE PROUD of what bono does? If the rest of the band can and does put up with it , why cant we?

Easy because i prefer Bono the singer not Bono the activist.