Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

basher1

Bono Musician or Save the World'er???

First and foremost Bono is a Christian and U2 is a "Christian" band. For those of you out that are too young to remember this fact, the band joined a Christian group in Dublin called the "Shalom Fellowship".  And if you are Christian you should know that social charity/justice and social movements is a major principal, Bono knowing this is using his fame and the bands fame to bring awareness to these gobal problems. Bono has been involved in charity work since the formation of U2, he was in Africa in the early 80s before USA for Africa, or Live AID. He also did charity work in San Salvador during the all the drugs wars (Bullet the Blue Sky, anyone?). While the other members of the band might not have such a passoniate calling as Bono, they do support him and have done their own charity work over the years. With all that being said U2 is still a rock band and I love their music and seeing them live but I'd rather Bono follow his path of the Gospels. There is always time for rock n roll but saving lives is far more important to me. happy.gif

First and foremost Bono is a Christian and U2 is a "Christian" band. For those of you out that are too young to remember this fact, the band joined a Christian group in Dublin called the "Shalom Fellowship".  And if you are Christian you should know that social charity/justice and social movements is a major principal, Bono knowing this is using his fame and the bands fame to bring awareness to these gobal problems. Bono has been involved in charity work since the formation of U2, he was in Africe in the early 80s before USA for Africa, or Live AID. He also did charity work in San Salvador during the all the drugs wars (Bullet the Blue Sky, anyone?). While the other members of the band might not have such a passoniate calling as Bono, they do support him and have done their own charity work over the years. With all that being said U2 is still a rock band and I love their music and seeing them live but I'd rather Bono follow his path of the Gospels. There is always time for rock n roll but saving lives is far more important to me. happy.gif
Well I agree, but there is this  famous Bono quote: MUSIC CAN CHANGE THE WORLD BECAUSE IT CAN CHANGE PEOPLE. He would make the biggest mistake of his life by stop making music.

They formed a band to be the jam & the clash. The band did not join the movement, Bono & Edge were part of it. In fact it nearly broke the band up. Although I agree the lyrics do not a religious leaning they are not and were not formed as a Christian band. Everyone reads the lyrics in the way they want to they are open to interpretation.

They formed a band to be the jam & the clash. The band did not join the movement, Bono & Edge were part of it. In fact it nearly broke the band up. Although I agree the lyrics do not a religious leaning they are not and were not formed as a Christian band. Everyone reads the lyrics in the way they want to they are open to interpretation.
Spot on Denny lad "they are not and were not formed as a Christian band" true story. 

Are U2 Christians?

In a word: yes.

Longer explanation: In the band's early years, it was no secret that Bono, Edge, and Larry were very active in their faith. For a time in the early 80s, the three joined a religious group called Shalom, and struggled for some time to reconcile their beliefs with the rock and roll lifestyle. Songs such as "Gloria", "40", and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" are very open in their religious and spiritual overtones. In more recent years, Bono has not worn his faith on his sleeve as openly as he did in past years. But to examine things such as Zoo TV, the Mirrorball Man, and MacPhisto, and to take the lyrics of songs such as "Wake Up, Dead Man" and others, and draw the conclusion that Bono (and U2) are no longer believers is to completely miss the point. These things were not U2 embracing the dark side, it was U2 exposing the dark side. As Bono often quoted, "Mock the devil and he will flee from thee." The message has not changed over the years ... but sometimes it's been a little harder to find.

the band formed i the 70's not the 80's so were a rock band before the whole christian thing, but hey anyone can copy and paste from anywhere and try to make them look knowledgable.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No one has questioned if members of the band are christians, Its Ireland for fecks sake, we're all religious in some way its the way we've been bought up......

Too much preaching, a lot of us grew up from the beginning with this band we know them

Thats it from me, religion & Politics... me mammy said never discuss them Denny Boy it only leads to wars or arguments

Now before you ask yes i'm a christian, born into both camps, catholic & protistant, brought up a catholic

Lads, getting a bit worried that we are spending a lot of time in the zoo

And me den.eek.gif

Maybe bono should just fuck U2 off and become the president,head of the U.N,the dalai lama or maybe even god it's obviously his destinyroll.gif

Seriously thought my last comment on this is why do people have to put bono on a pedestal? he pisses,shits and breathes the same as us after all rock star or not.

the band formed i the 70's not the 80's so were a rock band before the whole christian thing, but hey anyone can copy and paste from anywhere and try to make them look knowledgable.
roll.gifroll.gifroll.gif

"U2 By U2"...own it...read it.

@Alma1..."Where's your evidence of their fans supposedly disappearing? Get real. And anyone who Would stop being a U2 fan over Bono being a Hero was never a real U2 fan to begin with - & never 'Got' them to begin with. Good riddance."[/font]

I know U2 fans that are only fans of the first three albums, and didn't like them after that...there's proof.  Why?  Because in their opinion U2 was best before Brian Eno or Danny Lanois touched their music.  They liked the rawness untapped older sound.  To say they aren't a fan isn't true...they are a fan...just of a different era...and it was only about the music for them too!  Was I disappointed...sure I was...but I spinned it around and encouraged them to check them out and listen to them again.  That's all I could do.  But to tell them what you said is pretty harsh...and something I would NEVER say!

I think it's time for you to "Get real"...and chill out.

Yet another "real fan" discussion. Years pass but some things never change...

And again I'm so glad U2 didn't become religious nutcases!

Oh dear U2 wouldn't have been as famous if it wasn't for bono and his political stuff alma?

my arse!

Remember he wasn't saving the poor in africa before live aid and they were doin reasonably well by then(not that i'm using that as a point scorer)

But to sum it up before I go into a 1000 word dissertation as basher said opinions are like arseholes we all have one.

Dear Mr Gibbo - I love you dearly but surely even you can see the irony in your post!!??  It is pretty much because of Live Aid that U2 become the global band they are now - on the back of saving lives in Africa

I think Bono should do absolutely whatever he feels he HAS to and I really don't think he should take us, the fans, in to consideration.  His first and most important responsibility is to ensure his own self fulfillment and if it means waiting for him to get in the studio in between releases whilst he attends to other commitments then so be it.  Him and the band don't really owe me anything - I have the choice to buy the albums and attend the tours and I am fine waiting - its not costing me anything to wait for an album release.  Where their responsibility lies is releasing albums of a great quality when they ARE recording because that is what I am paying for!

I am really proud of what Bono does.  I am really proud to be associated with a band whose frontman has ensured millions of lives are being saved and millions of kids are now getting an education.  Waiting for an album is a pretty small price to pay

ok......u2 is NOT a "Christian" band per se. They sing a lot about faith, lack of faith , belief , disbelief , peace, love, etc.......this does NOT define them as a "Christian" band .

I ALSO PREFER bono the singer, Basher.....if I HAD TO choose one , i'd choose the singer , of course.

However ,,,,,,,,as long as the band is good with it , I'm good with it. As far as I know , the band is OK with it.

As for someone's comment about INXS ........I think we know that Bono is a little bit more balanced in EVERY way than HUTCH was ........HUTCH was the type where you didnt know if he was going to be at the gig or not......Bono has never come close to anything like that. I know that is an overly simplified way of stating it, and there are a lot more variables to discuss when it comes to Bono vs Hutch, U2 vs INXS ......but according to everything I've read , the only time U2 has come close to the disfunction of INXS was when some of the boys were considering whether or not the music and the religious involvement could "coexist" and the band decided to choose the music.

then .. the BRIEF period when Adam was going A SLIGHT bit wayward.

bottom line - i AM proud of what bono does........ however I'M into the boys WAY more about the MUSIC and the LIVE SHOW and the recorded concerts........I can EASILY do without all the extracurriculars of Bono, but not easily without the music

again.......u2 is NOT a "Christian band".........no copy and paste needed there .....just straight up facts.....if someone needs this elaborated on , I would be happy to do so :)

basher.....thought the "copy and paste " comment was a good one :)

i guess another time of band disfunction was around the time of recording AB...sorry, forgot that one.

NOTHING compared to the disfunction of INXS though.

Go 6 minutes into this....

Damn!  I can't post any video on this stupid thing.  Anyway..watch it 6 minutes into it.  Funny.

Damn!  I can't post any video on this stupid thing.  Anyway..watch it 6 minutes into it.  Funny.

Ah, I saw that! Laughed my arse off. "Billy is a wanker!"

Yet another "real fan" discussion. Years pass but some things never change...

And again I'm so glad U2 didn't become religious nutcases!

thumbsup.gif

[quote name='MrsFish wrote:

gibbo1968']Oh dear U2 wouldn't have been as famous if it wasn't for bono and his political stuff alma?

my arse!

Remember he wasn't saving the poor in africa before live aid and they were doin reasonably well by then(not that i'm using that as a point scorer)

But to sum it up before I go into a 1000 word dissertation as basher said opinions are like arseholes we all have one.

Dear Mr Gibbo - I love you dearly but surely even you can see the irony in your post!!??  It is pretty much because of Live Aid that U2 become the global band they are now - on the back of saving lives in Africa

I think Bono should do absolutely whatever he feels he HAS to and I really don't think he should take us, the fans, in to consideration.  His first and most important responsibility is to ensure his own self fulfillment and if it means waiting for him to get in the studio in between releases whilst he attends to other commitments then so be it.  Him and the band don't really owe me anything - I have the choice to buy the albums and attend the tours and I am fine waiting - its not costing me anything to wait for an album release.  Where their responsibility lies is releasing albums of a great quality when they ARE recording because that is what I am paying for!

I am really proud of what Bono does.  I am really proud to be associated with a band whose frontman has ensured millions of lives are being saved and millions of kids are now getting an education.  Waiting for an album is a pretty small price to pay

Not true.

Bono and the boys became famous during Live Aid because Bono saw people being crushed and did something that musicians rarely do...help out the bouncers...meanwhile the band continued playing and waited for him.  That's why U2 got noticed.  It was Bono's actions that gave U2 a huge springboard.  Also U2 weren't the only band there helping Live Aid...and should be treated as equals.  But as mentioned before, U2 were already on their way to stardom without Live Aid.  There was the US Festival in '83 and of course Red Rocks in '83.

So #1 Bono is a musician...#2 Bono is a save the world'er.

The reason why some fans are a little pissed off lately is because U2.com hyped up the news as something HUGE and NEW...letting people think that it might be a window into what's going to be on the new album.  When people found out it was just a remix of an old tune, that's why they got upset.  It's not HUGE NEWS...it's just news and should have been treated as such.  U2.com blew people's hopes up, and some were let down...people stopped being with their families and stopped watching their footballs games just to find out it's just an old remix and not actual new music.  If they had just announced this new remix in a simple email without all the Thanksgiving hype, things would have been a lot smoother.

roll.gifroll.gifroll.gif

I've seen that before, but it's been a while.  Thanks for the laugh!  wink.gif

[quote name='Allegra wrote:

MrsFish wrote:

gibbo1968']Oh dear U2 wouldn't have been as famous if it wasn't for bono and his political stuff alma?

my arse!

Not true.

Bono and the boys became famous during Live Aid because Bono saw people being crushed and did something that musicians rarely do...help out the bouncers...meanwhile the band continued playing and waited for him.  That's why U2 got noticed.  It was Bono's actions that gave U2 a huge springboard.  Also U2 weren't the only band there helping Live Aid...and should be treated as equals.  But as mentioned before, U2 were already on their way to stardom without Live Aid.  There was the US Festival in '83 and of course Red Rocks in '83.

The reason why some fans are a little pissed off lately is because U2.com hyped up the news as something HUGE and NEW...letting people think that it might be a window into what's going to be on the new album.  When people found out it was just a remix of an old tune, that's why they got upset.  It's not HUGE NEWS...it's just news and should have been treated as such.  U2.com blew people's hopes up, and some were let down...people stopped being with their families and stopped watching their footballs games just to find out it's just an old remix and not actual new music.  If they had just announced this new remix in a simple email without all the Thanksgiving hype, things would have been a lot smoother.

What allegra said a bit mrs fish but I did say "Remember he wasn't saving the poor in africa before live aid and they were doin reasonably well by then(not that i'm using that as a point scorer)"

Funny? That's Hilarious! Excellent. THANKS for Sharing that TerriB. roll.gif

[quote name='Allegra wrote:

MrsFish wrote:

my arse!

Not true.

Mrs. Fish: I agree w/just about everything u say.

Gibbo: Hello again. W/all due respect, people are entitled to their own opinions - but not their own facts. You pointed out rightly that U2 was doing reasonably well by time Live Aid came along - but again, you're trying to deny that their music before Live Aid had anything socio-political-humanitarian in it? Wrong. And maybe u think it had nothing Christian in it too? I've had this conversation w/u b4, I think. Yes they were doing well b4 Live Aid - & they had socio-political-humanitarian-Christian-themed HIT RECORDS b4 Live Aid.

Let's not try to change history here, people.

Allegra: PLEASE. Get Real. Bono's Entire Performance of 'Bad' at Live Aid was One For The Record Books. Like an announcement to the world that here is SOMEONE who can be as big as Elvis & The Beatles Combined. It was Not just a famous performance because of bringing girls out of the audience. Yes, that was Extraordinary & great, but for 1 thing, as far as tons of people were concerned, Bono was just reaching out to fans & connecting w/his audience when he brought some up to be w/him. I watched Live Aid & all the coverage of it & I don't remember anything about fans' lives being saved from being crushed at all. Not saying that can't be what was happening w/him bringing girls over the barricade - but if the crushing danger did exist, then it was very missable in what Many people thought they were seeing & loved. If that was true, it was still unknown to Very Many who took Very Serious note of that performance without knowing it.

Allegra: Also, Seriously, with all due respect, forgive me for asking: What world are you living in? I'm sincerely wondering: are you a teenager or in your 20's? THE WAR ALBUM CAME OUT IN 1983 and AMERICA TOOK NOTICE. Ever heard of 2 little socio-political-humanitarian songs from that album known as Sunday Bloody Sunday & New Years Day??? How about "to win the victory Jesus won" from then. Etc. Ever heard of a little song called Gloria from 1981??? Don't suppose that has any Christianity in it, right? You also said "U2 weren't the only band there helping Live Aid...and should be treated as equals." Sorry. But other bands that were there have Not continued on since then w/the humanitarian work & themes the way U2 has - So forget about them being equals. The only thing I can agree w/u about here is the Thanksgiving announcement thing.

ok......u2 is NOT a "Christian" band per se. They sing a lot about faith, lack of faith , belief , disbelief , peace, love, etc.......this does NOT define them as a "Christian" band .

I ALSO PREFER bono the singer, Basher.....if I HAD TO choose one , i'd choose the singer , of course.

However ,,,,,,,,as long as the band is good with it , I'm good with it. As far as I know , the band is OK with it.

As for someone's comment about INXS ........I think we know that Bono is a little bit more balanced in EVERY way than HUTCH was ........HUTCH was the type where you didnt know if he was going to be at the gig or not......Bono has never come close to anything like that. I know that is an overly simplified way of stating it, and there are a lot more variables to discuss when it comes to Bono vs Hutch, U2 vs INXS ......but according to everything I've read , the only time U2 has come close to the disfunction of INXS was when some of the boys were considering whether or not the music and the religious involvement could "coexist" and the band decided to choose the music.

then .. the BRIEF period when Adam was going A SLIGHT bit wayward.

bottom line - i AM proud of what bono does........ however I'M into the boys WAY more about the MUSIC and the LIVE SHOW and the recorded concerts........I can EASILY do without all the extracurriculars of Bono, but not easily without the music

Liljbau: Hey, thanks for 'fanning' me! (I left a msg on yr profile page but don't know if u check there?) I need to correct something u said here, though. You said "when some of the boys were considering whether or not the music & the religious involvement could "coexist" & the band decided to choose the music." Sorry, but it sounds like u'r saying those bandmembers chose the music Over Christianity. No. They decided they could be in a band & make their music And still be Christian. And I would Not call the time that they did soul-searching about that a "dysfunction." It reminds me of when Bono & Ali talked about what their marriage should be like if he was going to become famous. That discussion had to take place & it was good to take place - not a dysfunction.

I wouldn't call them "a Christian band" because that's what u call it when All band-members are Christian. But is U2 informed by Christianity? Of course it is. Is Bono's strong humanitarianism informed in large part by the fact he was raised Christian? Of course it is. How many bands have u heard of w/members who took time to consider if they could stay in a rock band because the lifestyle might conflict w/their Christianity? They were concerned for the sake of their Christianity. So of Course U2 has Deep Christian roots. That doesn't mean they're all Christian.

As far as a time they had a "dysfunction" (though not the kind u refer to w/not showing up at a show) they also started thinking they might be breaking up when the music just wouldn't gel in the studio in Berlin. Of course we know they got past it. Love discussing things w/u Liljbau!!! smile.gif