Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

basher1

Bono Musician or Save the World'er???

I prefer both of them.

Hello Maarten! (By the way, I love your profile page.) I'm glad you prefer both of them. Bono IS BOTH a musician & someone fighting to save Millions of people's Lives. And he does BOTH Exceedingly Well! smile.gif

But he is first and foremost a singer in a band, why on earth should theband make records without him??

i think too many goody goody bleeding heart fools look to Bono to save too much.

You're right when u say why on earth should the band make records w/out him.

But you also said he is first & foremost a singer in a band. Wrong.

Bono is first & foremost Bono. Bono is first & foremost a human being. Bono is first & foremost a father to four children, etc. His duty is to his conscience - not to u or me. Just because he's a celebrity does not mean that he gave up his right to his own life also. And people who give a D@mn about their fellow human beings in this world are not "fools." They are people who give a D@mn about their fellow human beings in this world.

I love Bono for being a truely great frontman .....

I admire his efforts for trying to make a difference, but he couldn't have done any of it without his position in the band and the money he has made from being in a band.

I don't want to spend my cash listening to a political statement when I go to a concert !!!!

Excuse me Maggie, w/all due respect, but what the heck is too "political" for u about a couple of minutes about human rights? Too difficult for u? I'm SO sure that if your OWN family members were starving, etc, & someone could do something about it, of Course u still just wouldn't Want them to help - right? After all, that would be too "political." You'd say "No thanks - just let my family die - after all, I'd hate to take 2 or 3 minutes worth of a concert away from someone. That would be cruel." Riiiiight...

[quote name='basher1 wrote:

Alma1 wrote:

basher1']

Agreed, i really think u2 have lost many fans and many more potential fans because people were/are sick and tired of Bono banging on about it all as Billy Connolly once said about Sting and can be used the same with Bono "pick up your f'ing guitar and get back to work".

I think he has done more harm than good with regards to the band and yeah he may be passionate about it but he's not have been able to do it without being a member of u2.....Musician first in my opinion.

Hi Gibbo: I want to be sure you know the comment below is for Basher. You & I have gotten to know each other better & I understand you! But I don't know Basher or understand him so...

Basher: Hello. Just sayin' - Funny how I know all about Sting & his music - but never heard of Billy Connolly. (I don't know - maybe I should have? Maybe I'll find out he's someone famous I should have known about & I'll be embarrassed. But for now...I don't remember hearing of him before.) I also know U2. Massively. And Your music? Sincerely asking: Should I know it? I'm serious - no offense if you're a musician, but I'm just making a point that I think should be kind of obvious, so I won't waste your time trying to explain it or spell it out. As far as you thinking U2 have lost "many" fans, etc because of Bono being a decent human being & a Hero: Where's your evidence of their fans supposedly disappearing? Get real. And anyone who Would stop being a U2 fan over Bono being a Hero was never a real U2 fan to begin with - & never 'Got' them to begin with. Good riddance. It's not as if The World's Largest Band can't afford to lose a few so-called 'fans' who don't really 'get' U2 anyways & do nothing but whine & complain about them anyways.

What was all that red-warning stuff - I mean we're all U2 fans - right? Or are we? Do you know something we don't know like...is there a spy here from a competing band? Just trying to stir up trouble? Trying to get us all pitted against each other - divide and conquer & all that stuff? Well...they can't. We are: The House Of U2. We are diverse - different ones of us like different things about U2 - but The House Of U2 is Strong BECAUSE of it. I have believed that for years now. A house does not only have doors - it also has a roof. It also needs its foundation. Etc. U2 is strong because of Edge & Bono & Larry & Adam & their producer & etc & their Fans. You weren't trying to warn us about a serial killer were you? This could get INteresting. But it doesn't need to get that interesting. We're an interesting bunch enough as it is!
smile.gif

Oh dear Bonos a hero????......erm no hes a musician who does some charity work im afraid, you delousions about Bono is laughable, i find it hard that you do not know Billy Connolly after all he done a lot of the same things as Bono during Live Aid and loads of other thins like Amnesty etc etc so obviously you don't know as much as you are trying to make out.

And what the hell are you gibbering about serial killer????.....wow totally mental i really hope u2 have you on their "watch oout for this nutter" list. 

Re: serial killer comment: It's called a joke, Basher. I'm sure you've heard of the concept.

And from a previous comment of yours: You said your family comes 1st. Whose doesn't? It's not an 'either/or' thing. You don't have to turn your back on your family to sign a freakin' petition once in awhile. Wow - signing a petition online w/the click of a button. How hard is that? There's always still hope that maybe some day you'll open your eyes & see that there's a world outside of just your own back-yard - & yes, u could make a difference to it.

I rarely sign petitions anymore. And Amnesty International can suck it for thinking its a good idea that Americans can't exercise their second ammendment rights.

Tools.

rant/

I know that Amnesty International thinks it should not be easier to buy AK-47s, etc, internationally than to buy bananas internationally. Is that what you're referring to? (Those arms kill civilians. Such arms-dealers need to be reigned in.)

Sigma957']I rarely sign petitions anymore. And Amnesty International can suck it for thinking its a good idea that Americans can't exercise their second ammendment rights.

Tools.

rant/

Same goes for the European Court of Human Rights total joke they are.

Not understanding you here. So...now we shouldn't have human rights standards? Or courts to at least Try to enforce standards for them?

Alma1 -

Saying that U2 were only famous because of Bono is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in my life. What about Edge's guitar style? Or Adam and Larry's talents? Are you saying that Bono's the only member of the band with any talent? If so, then you really need to relisten to some of their music. Without Larry, U2 wouldn't even have formed!

I'm with Basher, U2 have lost fans who are bored sick of Bono preaching 60% of the time.

And here we go again about 'real' U2 fans! You're just like that Arngrim guy who came along last year going on about how anyone who didn't like a particular thing that U2 were doing wasn't a true fan to begin with. There are no 'true' U2 fans. There are only U2 fans.

Bono is not a hero. He's a singer. He is a musician in a band, so he should really be spending more time with the band and less time with the politicians - right now the situation is vice versa.

peterferris8: You said "What about Edge's guitar style?" Of Course. Edge's guitar style is 1/2 of what made U2 UNIQUE & AWESOME. The Other Half Is Bono. Before U2, No One had Ever sounded like them before. As far as Edge's guitar-playing: I heard & recognized the awesome Phenomenon & total Uniqueness of his guitar-playing in U2's instrumentation the 1st time I was exposed to them in 1983. In fact, for years I couldn't understand why more people didn't hear that in their instrumentation like I did. Well the world caught up, didn't they. At that time, I didn't try to deconstruct & explain what part of the instrumentation it was or exactly what it was about how it was played - but I Definitely recognized it as UNIQUE & a total phenomenon-of-a-lifetime.

No Offense Whatsoever meant to Adam's great bass-playing & Larry's great drum-playing. And of Course we all have Larry to thank for putting that flier up on their school bulletin board 'back when.' And the diversity of the bandmembers makes U2 Strong. I have believed that for years now.

But U2 would NOT EVER have become the band it did Without Bono. Not even debatable. I think there could have been a different great bassist & a different great drummer - but I know 1 thing for absolute sure: U2 would NOT be Great without Edge & Bono - they are to U2 what Paul McCartney & John Lennon were to the Beatles (not saying they have the exact same roles). The band would NOT have been the once-in-a-lifetime, 1st-time-ever-done, Unique phenomenon that it is w/out Bono & Edge. They are what make U2 as Special as it Is.

I would never say you're not a 'true' U2 fan. We are All U2 fans & have that in common: our love of U2! But you're wrong about Bono not being a hero. He VERY much is. As far as losing fans, well what did You pay to be here for then? Wow - the LARGEST and the GREATEST band on Planet Earth supposedly doesn't have fans. Or they're disappearing or some such. I'm sure U2 is shaking in their boots w/fear. As far as u not being able to deal w/so-called "politics," just leave it up to the big boys. Like Bono - And me (even though I'm a girl) - And tons of their fans who LOVE that aspect of U2 & Bono - & Love being involved in it. It's why many like me became their fans-for-life in the 1st place - that Combined w/Edge's guitar-playing. bono_happy.gifedge_happy.giflarry_happy.gifadam_happy.gif

peterferris8']Alma1 -

Saying that U2 were only famous because of Bono is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in my life. What about Edge's guitar style? Or Adam and Larry's talents? Are you saying that Bono's the only member of the band with any talent? If so, then you really need to relisten to some of their music. Without Larry, U2 wouldn't even have formed!

I'm with Basher, U2 have lost fans who are bored sick of Bono preaching 60% of the time.

And here we go again about 'real' U2 fans! You're just like that Arngrim guy who came along last year going on about how anyone who didn't like a particular thing that U2 were doing wasn't a true fan to begin with. There are no 'true' U2 fans. There are only U2 fans.

Bono is not a hero. He's a singer. He is a musician in a band, so he should really be spending more time with the band and less time with the politicians - right now the situation is vice versa.

Cheers Pete lad you are 100% correct

i am beginning to think Alma is a troll.

Basher: Trolls don't pay 50-bucks-a-pop to troll. Basher, I dunno, but u seem to have some trouble w/Diversity. It's almost like you don't know that others can have a different opinion from yours or something like that. So...if you ran a company or a country - you'd surround yourself with Yes-men? I wouldn't. Personally, I wouldn't want to surround myself in life either with only people who think the exact same way I do about everything. People don't learn from other people or grow in life that way. You don't agree? ohwell.gif

[quote name='bonosbaby25 wrote:

peterferris8'] Bono is not a hero. He's a singer. He is a musician in a band, so he should really be spending more time with the band and less time with the politicians - right now the situation is vice versa.

true statement..

Which statement are u saying is true? That he is a singer? That he's a musician in a band? Those are correct.

That right now the situation is vice versa? That's only partly correct.

That he's not a hero? Totally INcorrect.

That he "should really be spending more time w/the band & less time w/the politicians." He can do what he wants. According to his own conscience. It's His life - not yours or anyone else's.  Just like someone else said on the message boards: He didn't sign up to give his LIFE away to u or anyone else just because he's in a band. (People need to grow up.) And like another commenter basically said: Just because someone buys some records or tickets does not give them a right to think Bono (or any band member) is a puppet on a string & Owes them his life. You don't actually think Bono or any of them have to live their life for You, do you? The whole thing seems so silly to me. Some people seem to forget Bono's also a father of four & a husband, too.

why in the world cant fans of the group , (who I AGREE , all of you are ) BE PROUD of what bono does? If the rest of the band can and does put up with it , why cant we?

liljbau: Many fans Are proud of All that Bono does. You & Me & Many, Many others included. smile.gif

Basher meet Alma, Alma meet Basher.... I hope you'll both be very happy ;-)

Dennyjnr: Lol. Pleeease don't tell me this is an arranged marriage. But I've never met the guy. I don't believe in arranged marriages, but thanks for introducing us. We'll be fine as just neighbors in the U2 neighborhood.

(Basher doesn't have a pit bull, does he? He has my permission as a neighbor to play Loud music - as long as it's U2 & during the day. And some Nirvana once in awhile. And certain Coldplay songs. Really Loud.) smile.gif

[quote name='Alma1 wrote:

basher1 wrote:

peterferris8']Alma1 -

Basher: Trolls don't pay 50-bucks-a-pop to troll. Basher, I dunno, but u seem to have some trouble w/Diversity. It's almost like you don't know that others can have a different opinion from yours or something like that. So...if you ran a company or a country - you'd surround yourself with Yes-men? I wouldn't. Personally, I wouldn't want to surround myself in life either with only people who think the exact same way I do about everything. People don't learn from other people or grow in life that way. You don't agree? eek.gif

Basher: You said "the band formed i the 70's not the 80's so were a rock band before the whole christian thing"

Sorry, but you're forgetting that being raised Christian happened before forming a band. (Don't read into what I just said. I'm not saying I would call the band "a Christian band" - or that a person can't be Jewish or Muslim or whatever & be a U2 fan.)

[quote name='Allegra wrote:

basher1']the band formed i the 70's not the 80's so were a rock band before the whole christian thing, but hey anyone can copy and paste from anywhere and try to make them look knowledgable.

roll.gifroll.gifroll.gif

"U2 By U2"...own it...read it.

@Alma1..."Where's your evidence of their fans supposedly disappearing? Get real. And anyone who Would stop being a U2 fan over Bono being a Hero was never a real U2 fan to begin with - & never 'Got' them to begin with. Good riddance."[/font]

I know U2 fans that are only fans of the first three albums, and didn't like them after that...there's proof.  Why?  Because in their opinion U2 was best before Brian Eno or Danny Lanois touched their music.  They liked the rawness untapped older sound.  To say they aren't a fan isn't true...they are a fan...just of a different era...and it was only about the music for them too!  Was I disappointed...sure I was...but I spinned it around and encouraged them to check them out and listen to them again.  That's all I could do.  But to tell them what you said is pretty harsh...and something I would NEVER say!

I think it's time for you to "Get real"...and chill out.

Allegra: Hello. What I was talking about was the idea that some people seem to have that U2 is in danger from losing fans now based specifically on Bono's humanitarian work. That's all I was referring to. I don't see any U2 crisis that some others seem to imagine. And like Mrs Fish & others say: if Bono had to choose between making music & the humanitarian work, then even though I Love their music, it's fine by me if he chose saving millions of lives. (We'd always have the tons of music they've already made.) But Bono doesnt Have to choose. He balances Both Extremely well - music & humanitarian. If your friend(s) only liked U2 up to their 1983 music, it hasn't got anything to do w/the idea that fans are supposedly disappearing now based on Bono's humanitarian work. That's what I was referring to. If anyone was to stop being a U2 fan based on Bono's humanitarian work, then, yes, I'd say good riddance. I'd consider they were just like fair-weather friends anyways (or fair-weather fans). But I don't see that happening anyways. Some people would like a new album is all. Most wouldn't want Bono to give up the humanitarian work - they're just hoping he can set it aside for awhile for more U2 music soon as he can.

I do agree w/Half of your point about your friend(s) who were fans of the 1st 3 albums: Of Course, in a way they can be called "U2 fans of some past U2 music." I Understand & Respect different tastes in music. I do find it almost hard to believe, though: I don't know what to say about anyone like that - it's very Strange to me if someone couldn't find Anything to like from All that U2 has done after the War album. U2 has never stopped being Excellent music-makers. But different people simply have different tastes in music, which I totally respect as far as that goes. To each his own.

First and foremost Bono is a Christian and U2 is a "Christian" band. For those of you out that are too young to remember this fact, the band joined a Christian group in Dublin called the "Shalom Fellowship".  And if you are Christian you should know that social charity/justice and social movements is a major principal, Bono knowing this is using his fame and the bands fame to bring awareness to these gobal problems. Bono has been involved in charity work since the formation of U2, he was in Africa in the early 80s before USA for Africa, or Live AID. He also did charity work in San Salvador during the all the drugs wars (Bullet the Blue Sky, anyone?). While the other members of the band might not have such a passoniate calling as Bono, they do support him and have done their own charity work over the years. With all that being said U2 is still a rock band and I love their music and seeing them live but I'd rather Bono follow his path of the Gospels. There is always time for rock n roll but saving lives is far more important to me. happy.gif

Michellesstephens: Hello. Hello. I agree w/you saying "U2 is still a rock band and I love their music and seeing them live but I'd rather Bono follow his path of the Gospels. There is always time for rock n roll but saving lives is far more important to me." I agree w/everything else you say here, too, except calling the band a "Christian band." Band-members in the band have Deep Christian roots - some apparently more than others - but to call a band a "Christian band," everyone in the band should be Christian. smile.gif

Alma1 wrote:

basher1']

Basher: Trolls don't pay 50-bucks-a-pop to troll. Basher, I dunno, but u seem to have some trouble w/Diversity. It's almost like you don't know that others can have a different opinion from yours or something like that. So...if you ran a company or a country - you'd surround yourself with Yes-men? I wouldn't. Personally, I wouldn't want to surround myself in life either with only people who think the exact same way I do about everything. People don't learn from other people or grow in life that way. You don't agree? eek.gif

Lol. Hmmm. I can't help but like someone if they make me laugh. Not sure what u mean about forcing my opinions on anyone? I really don't mean it that way & I hope you can believe me. Sorry if I offended u somehow in any way. It's just a message board. My opinions don't mean any more to the Universe than anyone else's, right? I just believe in the importance of communication, that's all. So I just want to give any discussion it's due & explain what I mean (as well as I can) to try to avoid any misunderstanding - & for the sake of clarity. If I happen to put more words into it I don't know what to say about that. I happen to think U2 is that important, that's all. I really do. (Plus because I need to find another outlet for wanting to write.)

Don't worry, I probably won't be on the msg boards much for at least the next 4-5 wks. As I explained to someone on a different message thread, I'm just coming off of a hard-fought Presidential election so I realize I need to decompress somewhat & not be quite as hard-charging - but I'll do that after the next 4-5 weeks which are the U.S. 'fiscal-cliff' budget battle that Bono has been helping with - on which millions of lives depend. Then I really will take a chill pill. But even b4 then, I won't have the time going into the future that I've had these past few days to be on the message boards this much anyways - & I'm not someone who spends so much time on a msg board normally anyways. Your comment about if u ran a country, etc, what kind of dictator u'd be is reminding me of how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader. Lol. smile.gif

Believe me i am not easily offended anyone on here that has known me since i arrived here back in 2005 will tell you that.

Basher: I'm not easily offended either. (I look at discussions as being just mostly about the ideas discussed - not personal.) Wow. Since 2005. And you're still going strong! I'm logging off now. Take care. smile.gif

u2- NOT A CHRISTIAN BAND.............just like , everyone in my department at work was "raised Christian"...doesnt make us a "Christian department"

i would think they're not doing a very good job of it , if they really were one, since much of the subject matter of their songs wouldn't really be considered acceptable by a "Christian band"

Basher: I'm not easily offended either. (I look at discussions as being just mostly about the ideas discussed - not personal.) Wow. Since 2005. And you're still going strong! I'm logging off now. Take care. smile.gif
Only when i don't get banned.

If I remember from U2 by U2...they were just toying with the idea of being a Christian band - trying to find out what direction they want to take.

[quote name='Alma1 wrote:

Allegra wrote:

MrsFish']

Dear Mr Gibbo - I love you dearly but surely even you can see the irony in your post!!??  It is pretty much because of Live Aid that U2 become the global band they are now - on the back of saving lives in Africa

I think Bono should do absolutely whatever he feels he HAS to and I really don't think he should take us, the fans, in to consideration.  His first and most important responsibility is to ensure his own self fulfillment and if it means waiting for him to get in the studio in between releases whilst he attends to other commitments then so be it.  Him and the band don't really owe me anything - I have the choice to buy the albums and attend the tours and I am fine waiting - its not costing me anything to wait for an album release.  Where their responsibility lies is releasing albums of a great quality when they ARE recording because that is what I am paying for!

I am really proud of what Bono does.  I am really proud to be associated with a band whose frontman has ensured millions of lives are being saved and millions of kids are now getting an education.  Waiting for an album is a pretty small price to pay

Not true.

Bono and the boys became famous during Live Aid because Bono saw people being crushed and did something that musicians rarely do...help out the bouncers...meanwhile the band continued playing and waited for him.  That's why U2 got noticed.  It was Bono's actions that gave U2 a huge springboard.  Also U2 weren't the only band there helping Live Aid...and should be treated as equals.  But as mentioned before, U2 were already on their way to stardom without Live Aid.  There was the US Festival in '83 and of course Red Rocks in '83.

So #1 Bono is a musician...#2 Bono is a save the world'er.

The reason why some fans are a little pissed off lately is because U2.com hyped up the news as something HUGE and NEW...letting people think that it might be a window into what's going to be on the new album.  When people found out it was just a remix of an old tune, that's why they got upset.  It's not HUGE NEWS...it's just news and should have been treated as such.  U2.com blew people's hopes up, and some were let down...people stopped being with their families and stopped watching their footballs games just to find out it's just an old remix and not actual new music.  If they had just announced this new remix in a simple email without all the Thanksgiving hype, things would have been a lot smoother.

Mrs. Fish: I agree w/just about everything u say.

Gibbo: Hello again. W/all due respect, people are entitled to their own opinions - but not their own facts. You pointed out rightly that U2 was doing reasonably well by time Live Aid came along - but again, you're trying to deny that their music before Live Aid had anything socio-political-humanitarian in it? Wrong. And maybe u think it had nothing Christian in it too? I've had this conversation w/u b4, I think. Yes they were doing well b4 Live Aid - & they had socio-political-humanitarian-Christian-themed HIT RECORDS b4 Live Aid.

Let's not try to change history here, people.

Allegra: PLEASE. Get Real. Bono's Entire Performance of 'Bad' at Live Aid was One For The Record Books. Like an announcement to the world that here is SOMEONE who can be as big as Elvis & The Beatles Combined. It was Not just a famous performance because of bringing girls out of the audience. Yes, that was Extraordinary & great, but for 1 thing, as far as tons of people were concerned, Bono was just reaching out to fans & connecting w/his audience when he brought some up to be w/him. I watched Live Aid & all the coverage of it & I don't remember anything about fans' lives being saved from being crushed at all. Not saying that can't be what was happening w/him bringing girls over the barricade - but if the crushing danger did exist, then it was very missable in what Many people thought they were seeing & loved. If that was true, it was still unknown to Very Many who took Very Serious note of that performance without knowing it.

Allegra: Also, Seriously, with all due respect, forgive me for asking: What world are you living in? I'm sincerely wondering: are you a teenager or in your 20's? THE WAR ALBUM CAME OUT IN 1983 and AMERICA TOOK NOTICE. Ever heard of 2 little socio-political-humanitarian songs from that album known as Sunday Bloody Sunday & New Years Day??? How about "to win the victory Jesus won" from then. Etc. Ever heard of a little song called Gloria from 1981??? Don't suppose that has any Christianity in it, right? You also said "U2 weren't the only band there helping Live Aid...and should be treated as equals." Sorry. But other bands that were there have Not continued on since then w/the humanitarian work & themes the way U2 has - So forget about them being equals. The only thing I can agree w/u about here is the Thanksgiving announcement thing.

From "The Complete Idiots Guide",,,

http://idiotsguides.com/s...t/07_13_11_live_aid.html

"It was later found out that Bono actually jumped into the crowd to save her. He saw from the stage that the girl (Kal Khalique, who was 15 at the time) was being crushed by the fans pushing forward, and frantically tried to get the attention of the ushers to help her. When it was obvious the ushers couldn’t understand what he was saying, Bono leapt off the stage and, with the help of security, pulled Kal free. Bono tenderly danced with her to calm her down, then gave her a kiss before going back on stage and finishing the song. Kal later credited him with saving her life."

That's why Bad was so long...Bono jumped down to save a girl's life.  Also U2 had planned 3 songs to play that day...not 2.  When their show was over, the guys were pissed at Bono and thought he'd ruined their chance on the world wide stage.  But because of what Bono did, that's what set them apart from the other bands that day...not because they helped with Live Aid and not because of the song Bad.  Those last two things were great, but nothing like saving a fan's life live on TV while the whole wide world watched.  After the guys found out what Bono did and after the news had spread what Bono truly did, the media wanted to know more about U2...that action caught the media's attention and the people that were watching.  They wanted to know more about U2.  

And obviously you haven't read the thread carefully...go back and re-read it from the beginning.  I was supporting Gibbo's comment to Mrs.Fish that U2 were musicians first before Bono saved the world, and that if Live Aid didn't exist, U2 were already on their way to stardom before the help of the Live Aid world wide broadcast.  So I don't know what in the hell you're rambling on about Christianity...I never mentioned that word.  Bono and the boys would have been famous without Live Aid...that was the point.  Again, #1 - Bono is a musician...#2 - Bono then saved the world...in that order.  And in 1985, at that very moment in time, every band there were equals.  They all stopped and gave up their time to help.  That's what I'm talking about.  I'm not an idiot...I know Bono's history.  I don't need you to repeat it to me.

And oh...by the way...click on my name if you want to get to know me better.  I ain't no stupid-ass kid!

Alma1 wrote:

basher1']

Shoot away!!!

thumbsup.gif