Sign in to follow this  
febottini

I Quit Drink To Help Beat Depression, Says Adam

U2's Adam Clayton has spoken of how quitting alcohol helped him battle his depression.

The rock star  has identified his drinking habit as the main cause of 'suicidal thoughts' which he battled during his early years with the band.

Clayton (53) has pleaded directly with young people not to ignore depression, and to seek out help if they are feeling down.

He has revealed that despite his comfortable upbringing and years of superstardom with U2, he was prone to suicidal thoughts and depression.

"I am an ex-drinker and I am a very happy ex-drinker but before I got to that point I had been through the whole process of suicidal thoughts," Clayton confessed.

Clayton made the comments as part of the National Walk in My Shoes day – a fundraising and awareness event for St Patrick's University Hospital, Dublin. The money raised will go towards providing mental health services to vulnerable young adults.

Text 'shoes' to 57802 to donate €2 or go to www.walkinmyshoes.ie to donate or seek help with depression.

Listen to the interview here.

• Upvote 1

It was a good interview, he speak so well, clear and calm. I liked his honesty. Very nice man! :D

Thanks again Fe!

I'm glad that he is much better now. Nice to hear him! :)

It is true they might have to cope with a lot of pressure and freedom limitations. We don't get to see all what's behind that success... Anyway, apart from the problems that people who suffer from depression might have, I think it is really important to have a certain order in your life (even if you're a rockstar ;)). Sleep well, eat healthy, doing sport, all that.

In Spain people drink as a social habit and it is great... Although I don't drink very often and if have a strong drink I know I'll be knackered for one week. I think I'm that way because I spent a lot of years running at eight in the morning just to gain two minutes more of stamina and beat them all in judo. That weird I am.  :D

• Upvote 1

Thanks again Fe!

I'm glad that he is much better now. Nice to hear him! :)

It is true they might have to cope with a lot of pressure and freedom limitations. We don't get to see all what's behind that success... Anyway, apart from the problems that people who suffer from depression might have, I think it is really important to have a certain order in your life (even if you're a rockstar ;)). Sleep well, eat healthy, doing sport, all that.

In Spain people drink as a social habit and it is great... Although I don't drink very often and if have a strong drink I know I'll be knackered for one week. I think I'm that way because I spent a lot of years running at eight in the morning just to gain two minutes more of stamina and beat them all in judo. That weird I am.  :D

Tan: not weird at all, my friend. You knew what it took & you did it. That cool you are. :)

sleepy but wanted to responed...UNLESS you get a serious case of the shakes, up'll be ok either way...one way is just a bit easier...but don't let a day that succumbs to drink..sideline ya!! acknolegdge it will keep going and the battle is always with youself!

Depression not only affects the young.  I just found out a senior woman I know lost her husband to it yesterday.  He had been physically ill for a long time and told her he did not feel well enough to go to church with her.  When she returned home she found he had hung himself.  I'm not sure how much his illness was a factor or if his meds played a role, but it is very sad indeed. 

Depression does affect all ages, all backgrounds, both sexes - it can take everyone of us prisoner. 

For some reason mental health though is still surrounded by a certain taboo. People feel that they are weak or pathetic if they are suffering and are ashamed to admit that they cannot cope anymore, when there is no shame in it at all. Luckily projects such as this one Adam is campaigning for is helping to remove the stigma associated with depression or any other type of mental illness. I will hold my hand up and say that I have suffered depression in the past, I overcame it with medication and counselling and now can recognise the triggers and try to divert myself from those feelings.

I will say though - if you do feel like that you don't need to go it alone. Speak to friends or family, if you can, if not there are many charities out there to help and listen and not judge you at all. So ring them, email them, whichever you feel better doing and tell them how you are feeling and get the support they can offer. They may not be able to give you the answers you need, but they will help you to offload and talk about how you are feeling and that can, for some people, mean the difference between wanting to live and wanting to end it all. 

• Like 1