Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scout6

Policing Of The Site

Yet another post has been essentially deleted before it had a chance to be read.

The policing of this site is getting very ohhhh what word do I want to choose?

How about i'll just stay with oppressive or wait nope how about paternalistic or even irritating and condescending and absolutely no fun at all which is a few words more.

How about LiveNation gives us something about the band to talk about like an official sound teaser instead of shutting down those of us who are creative and smart enough to find such things online and then share them here with other U2 fans.

This is not anger directed at Mods who are doing the job they were given. This is anger at website management that doesn't seem interested in promoting the band they are supposed to be representing or honouring the fans who follow them.

Treat us to something about the band that we all can't find in 10 seconds ourselves simply by reading the newspapers online each day. 

Agree with all you say. 

If we are being so restricted in what we can say and do we need to be given stuff instead. Mods just do what they are told to do but why have the ones behind them suddenly become so oppressive? Is it since this place was taken over by Live Nation and they are run by ex-police? 

People ask why it is quieter than it used to be in the past. One reason is because of no tour at the moment and no new album to talk about either, but the other one is because of the strict policing of this place. Yes there are boundaries but also there is freedom of speech, having a laugh and a joke, banter between people in here etc....and the censorship is killing that off 

I agree. Am sure the mods are as interested in snippets of news posted here as much as we but they have to do their job. The site, and the whole U2 thing generally I feel, takes itself all too seriously, I wish they'd let go a bit. I appreciate they can't encourage any kind of snooping/leaks themselves (at least not officially) but once it's out there they achieve little by deleting it here.

I had a dream last night (it's not quite MLK!!) that I heard the new single on the radio, completely out the blue, we all knew nothing of its release etc and I was trying to get to a pooter to tell you all but suddenly I was in a huge house with loads of corridors and rooms and couldn't find my way to where I wanted to be!! It was a really good song, UF style! I seem to have created my own U2 song, if only I could remember it lol

Just musing, I remember Bono saying he doesn't like the distance between band and audience at gigs, Larry said a similar thing about Glasto, funny how their own site keeps their most devoted audience very distant from them and their news for years, we're not even at arms length, feels quite us and them. Ironic really.

Can't see much that has been removed by mods in past few weeks, a few overly expletive comments and one or two nude pics thats all..

If you can point out which section / topic please, and who posted. Sometimes people delete there own content so maybe that was the case here.

I think it's the removal of 'fleshy' ;) pics which we just do for fun and giggles really and the links to leaks/jams etc which are edited out here and there, a lot of people don't see the content before its removed and probably feel they miss out. One thread disappeared (not many posts mind), I think that may have been done by the person who created it but I'm not sure. Anyway, I think its just the feeling that we can't mess about the way we want to sometimes, especially when we are in a naughty mood!! You know what spoilt wilful children we are in here lol :P

Just musing, I remember Bono saying he doesn't like the distance between band and audience at gigs, Larry said a similar thing about Glasto, funny how their own site keeps their most devoted audience very distant from them and their news for years, we're not even at arms length, feels quite us and them. Ironic really.

Good point, Anjana.  I've thought the same.

Can't say I've noticed any majorly strict mod deleting behaviour here...

I found while folloing JAMES on tour last year, they VERY much like their fans up close, like right in our faces close. Not trying to reach out to us but smack dab on the floor walking through the crowd and shaking hands close, passing off the mic for a few bars to the fans close.

Did I mention close? So close my Nikon D80 couldn't auto-focus so I had to switch to manual close.

wow

Can't see much that has been removed by mods in past few weeks, a few overly expletive comments and one or two nude pics thats all..

If you can point out which section / topic please, and who posted. Sometimes people delete there own content so maybe that was the case here.

thanks bigwave.

tis true my friends, that sometimes people delete their own comments or threads.

Ive done that before :wacko: sorrwy!

But seriously, me thinks its also a matter we may have forgotton, and that is this: children as young as 13 may access this site with their parents permission.

@sunflower...and yes, after I went and said all of that...it does seem ironic that u2 doesnt seem to be around us on this site..

miss the edges tweets

Paternalistic?  a bit sexually bigoted don't you think.  

For all we know paco, the terms of service were wrtitten by the band members themselves.

I didnt write them....are you thinking that?

We all signed-up and joined I hope, having read them.

Have you read them?

protecting young children is not sexually bigoted...what are you trying to say?

http://www.u2.com/terms

We reserve the right, but have no obligation, to monitor interactions between you and other users of the Site or take any other action in good faith to restrict access to or the availability of any material that we or another user may consider to be obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, excessively violent, harassing or otherwise objectionable.

XtraSpicy I was commenting on this statement by Scout6

"How about i'll just stay with oppressive or wait nope how about paternalistic or even irritating and condescending and absolutely no fun at all which is a few words more."

I have no idea who is deleting posts and I'm not bringing gender into the issue by using such words. I came to this site when My dad passed away. Its coming on 2 years since his passing and I feel like our family is slowly falling apart. I never realized how my dad kept the peace in our family and really united us.  so hearing someone use "paternalistic" as a derogatory word right now just doesn't sit well with me. Actually today just driving home I was in a good mood until I got a call and was instantly dragged into another family argument. 

anyway, when talking about policing the site, we have no idea who is policing but lets not make assumptions and use it as a chance to take a swipe at any gender. 

I didn't see any of the pics and the comments that were deleted so I don't know what are you talking about. Anyway, this has been a polemic debate, where are the limits policing the site, or whether it should have limits at all. I think it is better to have limits because there are minors and because some people take advantage of the anonimity in internet to make offensive and abusive comments and for me that is not the vibe I enjoy. All depends on the context and I know the comments are made to have fun but the rules are clear...

I guess in other context we wouldn't have this debate

And I can't understand why do you relate this debate to how do you live your sexuality and your nudity. Because you are calling "sexually bigoted" to someone you have even never met in person. What do you know?? As for me I don't have any problem as I have much health when I am nude and also when I am dressed...

I didn't see any of the pics and the comments that were deleted so I don't know what are you talking about. Anyway, this has been a polemic debate, where are the limits policing the site, or whether it should have limits at all. I think it is better to have limits because there are minors and because some people take advantage of the anonimity in internet to make offensive and abusive comments and for me that is not the vibe I enjoy. All depends on the context and I know the comments are made to have fun but the rules are clear...

I guess in other context we wouldn't have this debate

And I can't understand why do you relate this debate to how do you live your sexuality and your nudity. Because you are calling "sexually bigoted" to someone you have even never met in person. What do you know?? As for me I don't have any problem as I have much health when I am nude and also when I am dressed...

Careful now with the nude talk Cam.

XtraSpicy I was commenting on this statement by Scout6

"How about i'll just stay with oppressive or wait nope how about paternalistic or even irritating and condescending and absolutely no fun at all which is a few words more."

I have no idea who is deleting posts and I'm not bringing gender into the issue by using such words. I came to this site when My dad passed away. Its coming on 2 years since his passing and I feel like our family is slowly falling apart. I never realized how my dad kept the peace in our family and really united us.  so hearing someone use "paternalistic" as a derogatory word right now just doesn't sit well with me. Actually today just driving home I was in a good mood until I got a call and was instantly dragged into another family argument. 

anyway, when talking about policing the site, we have no idea who is policing but lets not make assumptions and use it as a chance to take a swipe at any gender. 

Hi Paco

First off, let me say that you have my deepest condolences for the loss of you father. I'm so glad you came here to look for some kind of love and community.

Secondly, let me be the first to apologize for not understanding the meaning of your post. Please accept my sincere thanks for your very brave and generous post, explaining everything to us.

Last, please, let me know if there is ever anything that myself or anyone one else here can do for you.

Many of my closest friends on this site have lost their fathers and they have often turned to this community for support, whether it be by sharing their grief, having a laugh, or sharing music.

Our goal should be to elevate each other.

Much love to you Paco.

Spice

No need to apologize. both you and 123Love have been very kind to me since I arrived. when I saw the response to what I posted I realized I didn't express myself properly.  I missed  much of what the topic was about as well

Big Hugs to you both

Hello,

I've had a hectic week and didn't see this thing take off or I'd have commented sooner than this.

Paco, point taken. Actually when I wrote the post I hesitated with that word myself and didn't take the time to research a better one. I was searching for the word that means when people parent other adults in a condescending way. I still can't think of what it is but that's the word I was searching for. It's an honest call out and I accept responsibility for that. Sorry for offending you.

If children are being given permission to view this site then their parents and guardians have a good idea what goes on in here and it's not my place to be a substitute parent or to write for children or with them in mind. It's up to parents or guardians to allow kids access to whatever it is they deem appropriate and that's different for every family.

No, we don't need to be vulgar and careless. The things I see go missing or suddenly edited or people complaining about being edited and going missing haven't been offensive that I could see. They've been funny, amusing, challenging, art and newsworthy.

It's all fine. I have been frustrated with how this site is run by the company that manages it (not the mods) for a while and it was just one more thing piling up so I said something about it. Not everyone agrees. Such is life.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Well although it is a sexist term, maybe it is the word I meant without meaning to be sexist. Check out these links for definition on paternalistic

HERE and HERE and HERE

So not being argumentative but actually altering the conversation a bit I suppose. Language should evolve as new ideas become the norm and old ideas become less acceptable. Sexism in any form should no longer be tolerated and so if there's a gender neutral words that describes what I mean, please share because I'm a word nerd and would like to know it.

:)

Condescend:
Part of Speech:  verb
Definition:  belittle, disgrace
Synonyms:  abase, bemean, cast down, condescend, debase, degrade, deign, demean, depress, devalue, downgrade, humble, humiliate, stoop
Antonyms:  compliment, laud, praise

Shanny, could the word you were searching for be 'patronizing'? 

Don't worry Scout this has just been a particularly rough week with me. I'm just glad its the weekend and maybe I can get chance to relax. I was feeling a bit down after talking to someone who went through the same thing I'm going through. He said his family really fell apart after his dad died as well. then he told me things never really came back together until his mom died. that's not really what I wanted to hear either.  I don't know how normal or common this is after the death of a parent but currently I feel like the only thing I can do is try to keep distance from my family for the sake of my own mental health.  sorry if I took the topic for a spin in this direction.

Big hugs

Obviously Live Nation has never watched a PG-13 movie.  I've seen PG-13 movies do far worse than what's been posted in here.  The issue is that there is a particular album cover that was allowed to be printed around the world for everyone to see, but with the strict laws here in the US that particular album cover was changed...of course that wasn't the first time it happened to U2.  Since this message board is based out of the US, we will continue to see a lot of this censorship on this message board...plain and simple.