Sign in to follow this  
Oswaldo_S

U2 Management Bought By Giant Ln According To Ny Times

What’s more interesting about the deal is that Live Nation is investing so heavily in artists who are past their prime. Last year, for example, Madonna’s MDNA album dropped from 359,000 in sales its first week to a shockingly low 48,000 its second week. U2′s last album, 2009′s No Line on the Horizon, was also a disappointment.

But album sales haven’t been an arbiter of an artist’s moneymaking potential for years. These days, its concerts and festivals that bring in all the money—and middle-aged U2 and Madonna fans have more disposable income to spend on tickets. Last year, the average cost of a Madonna ticket ($160) was nearly twice thatof Justin Bieber’s.

---------------------------------------

The album sales from LN don't look good for U2's next album, unless it is really SOMETHING.

And those concert ticket prices of an average ticket costing $160 does not sell for me.

This shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone, really. It was only a matter of time.

Believe it or not, U2's first dealings with Art Fogel date back to December 1980 when they played in Toronto and with each stop afterward, they'd work with him as a local promoter. Once the precursors to Live Nation started (CPI / TNA), Art was in the mix as well. TNA (Fogel and Michael Cohl) formally promoted the PopMart tour and each U2 tour since. In 2008, U2 signed a formal deal with Live Nation once Fogel was named chairman of global music, and CEO of global touring there.

As far as the connection with Guy Oseary, that is also one that shouldn't be a surprise as there has been a bit of overlap in tour crews between U2 and Madonna. Oseary even interviewed Bono for his 2004 book "On The Record" too. There's been a great deal of connecting at MIDEM conferences between McGuinness and Oseary, and in general you can see how the longevity between U2 and Madonna put them in a league all their own.

What I hope is that Oseary seems to "get it" with fans and wanting to be connected to them. Madonna had done Twitter chats with fans, Guy has been very available to fans at concerts, and he will hopefully be the driving force behind bringing U2 into the social media universe. I see good things happening with fan connections and our favorite band. I'm hopeful he'll convince U2 to go back to the Q&A sessions they used to do online (well, back in the PopMart days at least), and be more active in this online community. 

While I have great respect for all that McGuinness has done, I think the fresh perspective and all of the years of experience with working with Madonna will bring an exciting time for U2 and their fans. U2 is their own artist, and I doubt they'd do a "Justify My Love"-style marketing campaign (Oh, I can see the posts about that statement now....), but rather I see the collaboration as being very much like the one with McGuinness.

I just wonder what will happen with all of those who work for Principle Management - if they'll all report to Live Nation, or if they're all "retiring" as well. Is PJ Harvey also going to be managed by Oseary too?

As far as the timing of this all, I find it interesting that the news broke now about it. It'll make it through the news cycle for the next few weeks - and by the time everyone has stopped asking the McGuinness/Oseary questions, it'll be time to promote the album. What is getting lost here is that we have as formal as we're gonna get of an album release date - April...that there's going to be a massive marketing push for it...etc. So, let the news spike about the managers, then let the news spike about the advertisers, and all the while (at very little cost and very little effort) the word is getting out about the new album. Genius marketing, IMHO. They're the experts at it, after all.

So, all good, really. We all just need to figure out how this new structure is going to work for fans and fan sites - there will be some growing pains and confusion over the changes, but as with any reorganization that can only be expected. I'm excited to see how this new chapter unfolds! It seems to be a mutual decision, so unless it's reported otherwise, it seems like it'll be a happy parting and remarriage. 

• Upvote 3

People need to feck up about Madonna on here. Saw her once (under duress) at Slane (wife liked her) - TOTAL SHEITE!

Can we stick to U2?

• Upvote 1

People need to feck up about Madonna on here. Saw her once (under duress) at Slane (wife liked her) - TOTAL SHEITE!

Can we stick to U2?

U2 !!!!

• Upvote 1

It is a sad, sad day, IMO.  U2 got the start they got because of McGuinness.  And I thank him for that, but I think they have needed something fresh for a while. So happy retirement to him.  I didn't want to see him go by way of selling them off to LiveNation though.  I don't think this will gain them any relevance; only dislike for becoming a corporate entity.  I am very scared about the ticket prices now, especially knowing how much Madonna's prices were on her last tour.  If they go that way, I will only get to do one, maybe two shows.  So I'm glad I got to do what I did with my 7 shows on 360, as that will probably never happen again.  My only hope is that as pissed as Larry got with the Vertigo ticket ordeal, that he will not stand for LN price gouging us.

You would've thought as much as Bono preaches about it, McGuinness would have kept the business local for Ireland.  But obviously it's more about the money.  :(

I believe that huge artists like U2 and Madonna have a say in all aspects of the marketing and ticket sales. Nothing is done without their stamp of approval. Madonna's prices are high because she wants them to be. I can't really see U2 going around jacking up all of the prices now that McGuinness is retiring. I would hope that U2 wouldn't change much from the way they've been doing things. Although I understand the expressed concern. I would hope that U2 are smart enough to know that if they jack up all of the prices, they will have a massive mutiny on their hands. I am curious what direction they will be going in with the new manager. 

Just Googled the guy...

As great as McGuinness is and has been for their career, having a younger manager might not be such a bad thing. Perhaps they might venture into embracing technology and social media and participating more with a fan site they tend to completely forget about. That would be cool.

It is a sad, sad day, IMO.  U2 got the start they got because of McGuinness.  And I thank him for that, but I think they have needed something fresh for a while. So happy retirement to him.  I didn't want to see him go by way of selling them off to LiveNation though.  I don't think this will gain them any relevance; only dislike for becoming a corporate entity.  I am very scared about the ticket prices now, especially knowing how much Madonna's prices were on her last tour.  If they go that way, I will only get to do one, maybe two shows.  So I'm glad I got to do what I did with my 7 shows on 360, as that will probably never happen again.  My only hope is that as pissed as Larry got with the Vertigo ticket ordeal, that he will not stand for LN price gouging us.

You would've thought as much as Bono preaches about it, McGuinness would have kept the business local for Ireland.  But obviously it's more about the money.  :(

The control the band has had seems tied to McGuinness - but we can hope they will continue to have a major say in their future. I remember Larry stepping up and getting involved with the Vertigo ticket mess. Can't imagine them totally changing their involvement and relationship with fans.

surrenders said: "Corporations rule nations and now artists." Well, at least U2 is in artistic control & have the power of their position. Not all musicians are so lucky, of course:

Check it out man, I LOVE this letter! One musician takes a stand against an industry's abuse of musicians:

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2013/11/06/whitey

That is true Alma, U2 is in artistic control and power.  Very few musicians have that and most will never have that kind of power due to how the music industry is today.  As fans, it's really just about the music, do you like it or not.  Most bands make their money now with touring so all that matters to fans are ticket prices.  The business end of music shouldn't really matter to fans unless it impacts the music itself and ticket prices.  With this it just looks so "Corporate" and about big money.

I love that letter by NJ White also!

Just Googled the guy...

As great as McGuinness is and has been for their career, having a younger manager might not be such a bad thing. Perhaps they might venture into embracing technology and social media and participating more with a fan site they tend to completely forget about. That would be cool.

That is a good way of looking at it.

What a bunch of pessimists on this thread!

U2 haven't even released the new album and people are writing them off - get a life!

I too have been a fan for many many years. Like most of what they have done (including the newer stuff).

So U2 record sales were down for NLOTH. In a digital age is this really that surprising?

Having the album leaked on Torrent websites probably didn't help either but it was one of the best albums they have done in ages.

All that and the highest grossing tour ever (NB - where stadium seats were offered at very reasonable prices too!).

If you don't like U2 anymore then you need not buy the next album or there is always The Killers!

• Upvote 2

Welcome to a complete 100% corporate U2,and I'll drop my yellow pants and flash my rosey red arse cheeks if GA tickets are anywhere near the £50 mark next tour,that's if there will ever be GA at a U2 gig ever again.

We'll all be in the cheap seats miles away while the posh fuckers rattle their jewellry at the front to quote john lennon.

The new rolling stones comes to mind.

Love you spirit gibbo!, A few years down the line, expect the Paul Mac to be driven from his seat altogether. Chairman of any board can be pitched by the greedos as soon as they are an encumbrance. Glad I saw 360 in 2011 when I did, before it was too late to catch a genuine U2 experience.

Life moves on, I don't blame Paul Mac for wanting to enjoy the fruits of all U2's improbable success. Kudos for all their contributions to date. Tragedy would be losing Eno and Lanois as contributors. Eno has also helped Cold Play a great deal, and my U2 channels on Pandora sure seems to play a LOT of Cold Play!

"and middle-aged U2 and Madonna fans have more disposable income to spend on tickets"  Says it all, I think.....

Although maybe if we are lucky, Bono will be like Madonna and he'll show us his moobs onstage. :lol:

• Upvote 1

We´re all scared b/c it was a big surprise.

There are a lot of speculations right now.

So let´s wait and see what happens.

Here is Dave Fanning´s opinion. I think it´s very nice.

"It's a big change for the band, but they've been working with Live Nation for years and that arrangement has worked out very, very well," the RTE anchor said. Madonna's manager Guy Oseary is expected to take over day-to-day management of U2.

Fanning told this newspaper that McGuinness "obviously has huge faith" in his soon-to-be successor, who will take on his position as manager of U2 as they prepare to release their first album in nearly five years.

"The band takes care of themselves anyway and know what they want to do or how they want to do it."

You can read the full article on Independent

Another review. This is by Neil McCormick.

Some parts:

Everyone knows Bono really runs the band.
Or rather, Bono leads the band, in terms of spirit, big ideas, charisma and energy. Guitarist Edge takes the lead musically. Bassist Adam Clayton and drummer Larry Mullen Jr tend to be the sage counsellors steadying the ship. Every major decision is made by democratic vote, although, as Mullen has pointed out, “only in the classic Greek sense that a democracy is in the hands of those in power. If you are in a band with someone as loud, talkative, argumentative and persuasive as Bono, things can be kind of difficult for the rest of us.”

What Oseary will bring is energy, ideas, a grasp of practical detail and, given his particular music business experience, a strong affinity for new music-technology interfaces.

Read the full article on The Telegraph
  • Upvote 1

Some parts:

Or rather, Bono leads the band, in terms of spirit, big ideas, charisma and energy. Guitarist Edge takes the lead musically. Bassist Adam Clayton and drummer Larry Mullen Jr tend to be the sage counsellors steadying the ship. Every major decision is made by democratic vote, although, as Mullen has pointed out, “only in the classic Greek sense that a democracy is in the hands of those in power. If you are in a band with someone as loud, talkative, argumentative and persuasive as Bono, things can be kind of difficult for the rest of us.”

What Oseary will bring is energy, ideas, a grasp of practical detail and, given his particular music business experience, a strong affinity for new music-technology interfaces.

this is a great article, from someone who is close to them. so good I read it twice.

• Upvote 1

Some parts:

Some parts:

Good article written by an insider and fan.

I really don't think it's all doom and gloom anyways.

If you don't like U2 anymore then you need not buy the next album or there is always The Killers!

I'd rather buy an album of gregorian chants Passengers stylee than ever listen to a killers album.

Glad to see the usual optimism from the rose tinted bvlgari spectacled U2 can do no wrong brigade,but me being a realist this has to be a bit concerning do we REALLY think U2 in live nations complete control are going to have a say?

This is from me a long standing U2 fan of 30 odd years who most times sticks up for them through thick and thin,I hope I am proved wrong and yep i'll hold me hands up if everything comes up roses in the U2 garden next year but I just can't see how this is gonna work out for us the fans in the near future.

I think this next year is a test for both the band and the fans to be perfectly honest.

• Upvote 1

Oh and dave fanning and neil mccormick will never slag U2 off EVER,even if they made an album of the greatest nursery rhymes of all time it would get 10 out of 10 from both.

• Upvote 2

I like the article but most of all the picture of our 4 guys with a smiling McG in the back

I still want Adam's shirt.  It's so pretty.

I'd rather buy an album of gregorian chants Passengers stylee than ever listen to a killers album.

Glad to see the usual optimism from the rose tinted bvlgari spectacled U2 can do no wrong brigade,but me being a realist this has to be a bit concerning do we REALLY think U2 in live nations complete control are going to have a say?

This is from me a long standing U2 fan of 30 odd years who most times sticks up for them through thick and thin,I hope I am proved wrong and yep i'll hold me hands up if everything comes up roses in the U2 garden next year but I just can't see how this is gonna work out for us the fans in the near future.

I think this next year is a test for both the band and the fans to be perfectly honest.

It's not about having rose tinted glasses and neither should it be about pre-judging something that has happened yet!

Assuming the worst when  a) we don't have all the facts and B) there's no new album to judge or tour to go to is just demonstrating that people need to get out more.

Yes next year will be a test but its not as if U2 haven't had testing tines before and come through those.

A little faith is required and if it all goes Peter Tong then I reckon U2 will be one of the first to put their hands up to it.

• Upvote 1