Sign in to follow this  
Oswaldo_S

U2 Management Bought By Giant Ln According To Ny Times

Assuming the worst when  a) we don't have all the facts and B) there's no new album to judge or tour to go to is just demonstrating that people need to get out more.

That pretty well sums it up.

Personally I'm just here for the music and a band I've loved since I was a kid. I'll let someone else worry about the business end of things whom actually gets paid for it. 

People who want to worry and/or bitch about it... knock yourselves out. However, food for thought, it wont change a damn thing and it's out of your control. 

I rather like the way Neil McCormick put it in that article Fetboni posted:

"Rather than worrying too much about management changes behind the scenes, fans should see it as an indication that, after a period of reflection and regrouping, gears are clicking into place for the full-scale return of one of the biggest bands in the world.

Madonna’s fans, on the other hand, may well have something to worry about. I suspect Oseary is going to have his hands full next year." Source
  • Upvote 1

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/13/business/media/live-nation-said-to-be-near-deal-for-management-companies.html?_r=1&

hi, with this all finalized now ( new management ) hopefully all U2 fans will get date of the new album & hopefully next world tour :-)

Sure Paul mcguiness will not be cutting all ties in the running of U2 either .

NY TIMES

November 12, 2013

Live Nation Said to Be Near Deal for Management Companies  By BEN SISARIO

Live Nation Entertainment, the giant concert company that includes Ticketmaster, is in advanced negotiations to buy the management companies behind U2 and Madonna, according to several people with direct knowledge of the talks.

If the deal is consummated, it will further strengthen Live Nation’s already deep ties with U2 and Madonna, two of the highest-earning and most durable pop acts of the last 30 years. As part of the deal, Live Nation would pay more than $30 million for both Principle Management, the company of U2’s longtime manager, Paul McGuinness, as well as Maverick, run by Guy Oseary, Madonna’s manager, according to these people, who spoke on the condition that they not be named because they were not authorized to discuss the deal publicly.

In what would be one of the most surprising shifts in years among the forces behind pop megastars, Mr. Oseary, 41, would take over the day-to-day management of U2. Mr. McGuinness, 62, who has managed U2 almost since its inception — and in doing so became one of the most highly esteemed executives in the music business — would become Principle’s chairman, with a role that was not fully clear.

A spokeswoman for Live Nation declined to comment, and Mr. Oseary could not be reached Tuesday afternoon.

In a statement, Mr. McGuinness said: “It could be seen as slightly poor etiquette for a manager to consider retiring before his artist has split, quit or died, but U2 have never subscribed to the rock and roll code of conduct. As I approach the musically relevant age of 64 I have resolved to take a less hands-on role as the band embark on the next cycle of their extraordinary career. I am delighted that Live Nation, who with Arthur Fogel have been our long term touring partners, have joined us in creating this powerful new force in artist management. I have long regarded Guy Oseary as the best manager of his generation and there is no one else I would have considered to take over the day-to-day running of our business.”

According to Pollstar, a concert industry trade magazine, the top 10 highest-grossing tours include four by U2 and one by Madonna. U2’s last tour, called 360, had more than $700 million in ticket sales and was seen by nearly seven million people around the world.

Live Nation, which besides its concert promotion and ticketing business manages the careers of some 200 acts through its Artist Nation division, has had close ties with both U2 and Madonna for years. In 2007, it struck a $120 million deal with Madonna that covered touring and recorded music rights for a decade, and it later sold the recording rights to Universal. In 2008, it made a deal with U2 to handle the band’s touring and merchandising exclusively for 12 years.

Along with other arrangements Live Nation made around that time with Jay Z, Shakira and Nickelback, those deals came to symbolize a major change in the music business, as artists looked to concerts, merchandise and myriad other outlets to make up for lost record sales.

LN in, McGuinness out.

Discuss.

Just Googled the guy...

As great as McGuinness is and has been for their career, having a younger manager might not be such a bad thing. Perhaps they might venture into embracing technology and social media and participating more with a fan site they tend to completely forget about. That would be cool.

Yep, it's certainly the way things are moving in all aspects of our lives. I'm 'Gen X' all over and in many ways I've had to rethink and adapt - but U2 where always usually ahead of curve in this sense from a perspective of music technology both in recording and live performance. They surely don't need to embrace that, but yeah, have they an opportunity to embrace/ engage their fans more directly through social media? 

Possibly.

Or possibly, at this stage in their careers they don't feel they need to, but new mgt thinking will generate new interest for them by harnessing those platforms better, in their best interest and in the process, ensuring they retain relevance.

Bono's always concerned about being relevant - and rightly so. 

I'm not too concerned about this even with McGuinness while U2 have been extremely successful touring but their presence as a band making new music has been in decline for a while now. The biggest shame was NLOTH was actually a great album but poorly marketed and promoted which like it or not comes down to not just them but their management, until they tour they are almost invisible and unheard on the TV and radio these days, Its a tough market even for U2 so new management may inject a new lease of life and better fortunes for the band in the charts.

As for ticket prices...this was only ever going to go one way wether its Live Nation or anybody else and thats tiered ticket systems and higher prices. Its an unfortunate fact of life, the bigger the band and the older and more legendary they become the more they charge its nothing new...The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, David Bowie and even other artists such as Cliff Richard, Celine Dion, Madonna and so on can just charge what they want because no matter what they charge it sells out.

Just Googled the guy...

As great as McGuinness is and has been for their career, having a younger manager might not be such a bad thing. Perhaps they might venture into embracing technology and social media and participating more with a fan site they tend to completely forget about. That would be cool.

Yep, it's certainly the way things are moving in all aspects of our lives. I'm 'Gen X' all over and in many ways I've had to rethink and adapt - but U2 where always usually ahead of curve in this sense from a perspective of music technology both in recording and live performance. They surely don't need to embrace that, but yeah, have they an opportunity to embrace/ engage their fans more directly through social media? 

Possibly.

Or possibly, at this stage in their careers they don't feel they need to, but new mgt thinking will generate new interest for them by harnessing those platforms better, in their best interest and in the process, ensuring they retain relevance.

Thats certainly one way of looking at it. But I have to say, if any artist, no matter the stage of their career,don't feel they need to engage their fans, they should consider another line of work...

• Upvote 3

Just Googled the guy...

Possibly.

Thats certainly one way of looking at it. But I have to say, if any artist, no matter the stage of their career,don't feel they need to engage their fans, they should consider another line of work...

didnt know we were bothering 'em...

U2, are we bugging you?!

Is it me or do Bono, Adam and Larry wear PINK lipstick in that photo??? Larry-a huge amount !!!

it's a pinkish hugh lol I think that top pic was snapped at the GQ photo shoot, but could be wrong.. god knows that there are fans that know those type of details lol

Edited by Jake99

Is it me or do Bono, Adam and Larry wear PINK lipstick in that photo??? Larry-a huge amount !!!

it's a pinkish hugh lol I think that top pic was snapped at the GQ photo shoot, but could be wrong.. god knows that there are fans that know those type of details lol

*cough*

I'm afraid to say...I know.

That pic was taken for their last night on Saturday Night Live a few years back...I think it was during the 360 tour...the same night Bono showed off his Lazer jacket.

Anyway, the photo was touched up by the SNL people.  I have a copy of the original before they messed with it. Will post it later.

Here's the original without the pink-purple lips...

u21_zps7603592f.jpg

Smashing !!!! They look so cool !!!

Lol we all know ,even if ticket prices do rocket upwards we will always do our best to try and attend any shows by U2 , as I said before the shows are more a spectacle , stage , lighting , sound , video walls , graphics , u just got to b there !!!! In Cardiff on the 360 the touts ( loads of them )they couldn't give the tickets away as time got nearer to the big event .i mean asking a tenner (£10) for GA tickets (bargain) but everyone who was there had their own ticket ,,,,, so suppose risking it and bargaining with the touts could b another option ,,,,, so will just have to wait & see what happens ,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,, to be continued

I am concerned if Mac was leaving because of the direction U2 were going and he was not in agreement?  Or that he is indeed tired of the whole thing and wanting to ride off into the sunset instead of worrying about tours and the like.  Either way, I will miss the guy a bit.  he helped guide U2 to be what they are….megastars.

The issue with Livenation and ticket prices is a real threat.  But to all those pining for $50 GAs….I remember going to Zoo, JT, Popmart, War shows with floor seats bought through Propaganda.  That has been going on for longer than most have been going to U2 shows or else their memory is selective.  Personally, I would prefer it and it will stop all this nonsense waiting outside forever and cliques of douchebags to get up front for the 50th time.  I don't mind paying the $ for the seat on the floor if that is how it ends up and I want to see them again.  It will keep the traveling trolls at bay as they will not be able to afford 20 shows at $300+ for an up front seat and I rather like that :)

I don't mind paying the $ for the seat on the floor if that is how it ends up and I want to see them again.  It will keep the traveling trolls at bay as they will not be able to afford 20 shows at $300+ for an up front seat and I rather like that :)

This has to be the most stupidest comment i've heard for a long time.

• Upvote 3

I don't mind paying the $ for the seat on the floor if that is how it ends up and I want to see them again.  It will keep the traveling trolls at bay as they will not be able to afford 20 shows at $300+ for an up front seat and I rather like that :)

I guess the shoe fits on the traveling troll comment…..eh Gibbo?  Don't be so butthurt over someone else's opinion.  

I guess the shoe fits on the traveling troll comment…..eh Gibbo?  Don't be so butthurt over someone else's opinion.  

A travelling troll that's a new one for me!

I meant you'd rather pay about $250 over the odds of a GA ticket on the last tour for that reason alone.

Yours a troll

TROLLS---1992-008.jpg