Sign in to follow this  
Allegra

New Album Tentatively Due In April, Possible Announcement Via Super Bowl Commercial

New Album Tentatively Due in April, Possible Announcement via Super Bowl Commercial

@U2, November 12, 2013

By: Matt McGee

7754-m.jpg

Maybe sit down before you read any further.

Paul McGuinness, the only manager U2 has had in its 30+ year history, is stepping aside and Live Nation reportedly is set to buy Principle Management. That's according to the New York Times, which quotes "several people with direct knowledge of the talks." The Times says Live Nation is also planning to buy Maverick, the company owned by Guy Oseary -- Madonna's manager since 2005. Oseary would become U2's day-to-day manager while McGuinness would have a "chairman" title.

Although the Live Nation involvement isn't official yet, McGuinness did essentially confirm his departure in this statement to the Times:

"It could be seen as slightly poor etiquette for a manager to consider retiring before his artist has split, quit or died, but U2 have never subscribed to the rock 'n' roll code of conduct. As I approach the musically relevant age of 64 I have resolved to take a less hands-on role as the band embark on the next cycle of their extraordinary career.

"I am delighted that Live Nation, who with Arthur Fogel have been our long term touring partners, have joined us in creating this powerful new force in artist management. I have long regarded Guy Oseary as the best manager of his generation, and there is no one else I would have considered to take over the day-to-day running of our business."

Billboard magazine was unable to confirm any more of the management shuffle, butin its article there's additional news about U2's musical plans. Billboard says the next album is tentatively set to be released in April, and U2 is looking for "brand partners" to help announce the album via a Super Bowl TV commercial. Billboard says Oseary is leading those discussions.

So this is obviously huge news, all but confirmed by McGuinness' statement. While you're waiting for the next bit of news to come in, feel free to join your fellow fans who are already discussing this in the @U2 forum.

http://www.atu2.com/news/mcguinness-out-as-u2-manager-live-nation-reportedly-buying-principle-management.html

not happy - looks like I'm diving back into my One Direction hole with my niece. Yep I have resorted to liking a boy band as my man band appears to sit idlely on their hands  :unsure:

Brand partners? Superbowl commercial?

Dear Bono,

That is not relevance.  That is disgusting.

Sincerely,

Your fan that is very sad today because it seems the music has been traded in for money.

• Upvote 2

:unsure:

As I've said in the other threads, I don't like this.  Gives me a bad feeling.  I feel like this is the beginning of the end of my beloved U2. 

Also, now it's April for a new album?  *sigh*  Okay, we'll see. 

Have to say I don't really give a feck how they announce it to the world - as long as it's good! March/ April release would sound about right and in line with what they usually do re plans for follow up tours etc.

We'll see.

I thought all along it would be Spring, Its a while to wait but it makes sense commercially.

Something to look forward to in 2014  :)

I thought all along it would be Spring, Its a while to wait but it makes sense commercially.

Something to look forward to in 2014  :)

Yup, the record shops get the record in a shorter period of time, when the release is in the spring because people are not on vacation and are more in to what's going on (and more are actually on the job!), at least that's what the guy who gets me U2 cds told me ! I only had to wait 2 weeks for the NOLTH box-set when it was released in march 2009, btw: it's almost five years from then !

Edited by pain_18_

Super Bowl makes sense, America is now U2's biggest market by some distance and the Super Bowl is the biggest show in America....where else could they get that knid of publicity with one 30 second commercial.

No brainer!