illumination70

What Good Thing Happened To You Today (Continued)

Went to a coffee shop today called On The Edge... I thought of him with a smile as I sipped my cuppa coffee.

:Achtung_Baby_11::Zoo_Guitar:

I went to the comic shop this morning - and the co-owner let me have some Star Wars stickers completely FREE as a gift for being a regular :D 

Now I just need to decide which notebooks to stick them on :lol:

I've just found out I've won a book! :D 

There's a book review site called Goodreads and they have competitions on there where you can win advance copies of books to review them and give feedback to authors before they go on sale.

I've won a language-learning book on Italian verbs :) Let's hope it's as useful as it looks.

Despite a high fever, I was able to help a very distraught and confused elder gentleman get his cell phone service to address his issue.  I then pulled out the battery and sim card and got it all reset for him.  I got a hundred thank yous.   It felt good because I wanted to smack him every time he put his fingers into my vision to show me where that darn sim card goes. lol   I was seeing triplicate each time, but it was a success. 

I also was very kindly assured I shall have two very good seats to see Elton John at the United Center in Chicago this coming August.  I'd have to put Elton John ahead of U2 only because he's been around longer.  I could not see my life without either.  Now I'm seeing them both this coming Summer.  woo hoo

A good friend of mine told me how I can eventually get a ticket to Hamilton in Chicago for ten bucks.  Three great things in one day.  

I just read that all 955 miners were freed from the gold mine in South Africa, where they'd been trapped, about half a mile underground, since Wednesday.  All are okay and with families.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 2

I discovered what a beautiful song Stop the Clocks by Noel Gallagher and the High Flying Birds is.  I had somehow missed it and it's an instant favorite song for the rest of my life.  I love it when that happens. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

I discovered what a beautiful song Stop the Clocks by Noel Gallagher and the High Flying Birds is.  I had somehow missed it and it's an instant favorite song for the rest of my life.  I love it when that happens. 

I love that song. He'd been demoing it while he was still in Oasis - one of their compilation albums was called "Stop the Clocks" and had lyrics from the song on the inside cover of the lyric booklet. I remember being really excited when the track was listed on his debut solo album. Thankfully it was worth the long wait to finally hear it!

Reading the sport headlines today after Ireland beat France un the 6 Nations rugby with the last kick of the game.

20 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

I love that song. He'd been demoing it while he was still in Oasis - one of their compilation albums was called "Stop the Clocks" and had lyrics from the song on the inside cover of the lyric booklet. I remember being really excited when the track was listed on his debut solo album. Thankfully it was worth the long wait to finally hear it!

I went and saw them live and they were great.  AKA What a Life sounded amazing.  I did not know a lot of their music.  I'm happy to say I now do and I'm in love with NG's HFB.  I also listened to his new solo album once today and really like it too.  He was very funny live.  He got heckled and had a comeback for every single one.  It was very funny and musical bliss.

I have friends in Philadelphia who are very buzzed right now and texting me incoherently.  I guess Philly is going ballistic.  It was a great Super Bowl.  I'm also really getting into watching Premier League on Saturday mornings. NBC started running it a while ago and I've been watching every week. They had a documentary type thing about the fans in England after the game.  It was fascinating and I'm getting hooked.  It didn't look like fun playing in that pouring rain in London for yesterday's game. match?  I don't know but I love it.  I've never had access to English Football like that here in America.  It's is a very nice and unexpected treat.

Edited by Manohlive

3 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I have friends in Philadelphia who are very buzzed right now and texting me incoherently.  I guess Philly is going ballistic.  It was a great Super Bowl.  I'm also really getting into watching Premier League on Saturday mornings. NBC started running it a while ago and I've been watching every week. They had a documentary type thing about the fans in England after the game.  It was fascinating and I'm getting hooked.  It didn't look like fun playing in that pouring rain in London for yesterday's game. match?  I don't know but I love it.  I've never had access to English Football like that here in America.  It's is a very nice and unexpected treat.

It's interesting that you mention having access to watch English football matches - over the last few years, the BBC has started showing American Football games so that people over here in the UK can see what the fuss is about.

Although to me, American Football mostly looks like rugby, just with the players in helmets and padded outfits :)

I think I'll stick with our nice round football and rules that I understand :P

19 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

It's interesting that you mention having access to watch English football matches

I just learned from padawenbeck84 that it is a match and not a game.

10 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I just learned from padawenbeck84 that it is a match and not a game.

You can call them games if you want to. We use both words pretty much equally :)

I went to a library book sale today and picked up two really good reference books for only £1 each B) 

I love library book sales. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

I love library book sales.

I do too.  It's nice to hear that others value physical books and not digital downloads.  I'm not knocking downloads.  There is something romantic to physically holding a book when it's nasty outside or one needs to withdraw from the world.  Books and cds are the first thing I hit at rummage sales.

My good thing is I'm going to go pull out a favorite anthology of poetry because of padawanbeck84.  That's two days in a row you've inspired me, pada!

Edited by Manohlive

Oh-another good thing:   Some Philadelphia Eagles are going to the White House and some are not. (Every year, the winners of our Super Bowl go and get their pic taken with the President of the United States.) Those who are not going are doing so out of protest.  Thus far, I've heard a lot of criticism for both sides from outsiders.  I've only heard Philadelphia Eagles players supporting each other from both sides.  I think that is cool as America is badly in need of finding the middle ground.  I hope the team continues to support one another no matter their own personal stance.

Edited by Manohlive