illumination70

What Good Thing Happened To You Today (Continued)

It seems the worst of this headache cycle has ended-good riddance to it.  I will be missing no Dawes shows.

• Like 2

I made a good friend, who is down for a number or reasons, laugh several times.  

• Like 2

One from yesterday: Last night, on a music collector's website, I found a rare promo CD that I didn't even know existed. And it was very reasonably priced, so I bought it.

I was looking for the albums of the band in question, but this single will do for now :)

The albums are hard to find as they're out of print - and thus very expensive when I have found anyone that's got them - one Amazon seller wanted over £90! :o  

My dad, bless him, thinks I might find one if I look in the local charity shops etc. I'm trying to explain to him that the odds of someone in our area even *knowing* about this band are Han Solo-level for a start. But there are a couple of local independent record shops that might be able to help.

I received the CD I ordered. I'm impressed it arrived so fast. It's so rare that Media Player tried to argue the artist details and tried to tell me it's by a Korean girl band :lol:

But I have the artwork to prove it is in fact a 90s rock band. With a rather famous film-star bass player B)

I also found some rare Star Wars graphic novels while out shopping today - and am going back tomorrow for the rest. The people in said shops are nice enough to save them for me.

I know I'm obsessed...I got in touch with a very nice lady from St. Louis, who is a fellow Dawes fanatic.  She informed me that the venue for the Dawes show, in Chicago, changed.  It's a smaller venue and much better to be scoping out when to queue so we can be up front.  It's going to be 5 degrees the day of that show. I'm very happy I found out before we went to the original venue, parked and then found out it's at The Vic and not The Riviera Theatre.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I know I'm obsessed...I got in touch with a very nice lady from St. Louis, who is a fellow Dawes fanatic.  She informed me that the venue for the Dawes show, in Chicago, changed.  It's a smaller venue and much better to be scoping out when to queue so we can be up front.  It's going to be 5 degrees the day of that show. I'm very happy I found out before we went to the original venue, parked and then found out it's at The Vic and not The Riviera Theatre.

This is what I miss about living near a big city, where its convenient to see shows. I stay in too much. 

I did go out to see music last week..& I had fun.☺

11 hours ago, Manohlive said:

It's good that you were able to find out beforehand. And very kind of the lady to make sure you had the right information.

My good thing for today is that I'm sorting my comics shelf and CD collection in order to accommodate the recent new purchases.

There's something very therapeutic about arranging everything *just* right :)

9 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

I'm sorting my comics shelf and CD collection in order to accommodate the recent new purchases

i am moving the first two weeks of March.  I don't suppose you'll be in Milwaukee at that time?   If so, and you help, I'll buy you a cheesehead hat.  😜

We are getting a massive arctic blast.  The wind chill tonight is going to be -30F.  Next week, it's going to be -20F for the actual temperature.  It may get to be the coldest it's ever gotten where I live-shattering all records.  I've been trying to find something good in all of it and I did-I'm really glad Bruff (my dog) went to sleep last Fall because this weather would be absolutely brutal on him.  He was never sick and never in pain but this weather would have changed it so thanks to the powers that be for the timing.  

I also got some free pizza from a lady I really like.  I'm now going to brave the cold and start my car, while brushing off a different lady's car, before it gets really cold and the snow all turns to solid ice on her car.  We both have bad colds.  I'm a couple days ahead of her.   It's incentive for me to go outside.  

-20 F actual temp or colder?   Yikes.  This is when I need to remind myself how much I love Milwaukee cuz I want out of Dodge.  haha   Gotta laugh-tears freeze too quickly at those temps.

@Manohlive  -20 sounds horrible :o Over here, I don't think I've ever seen worse than about -5. Maybe we've got down to -8 once, but not into double figures. Stay safe (and warm!). 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

@Manohlive  -20 sounds horrible :o Over here, I don't think I've ever seen worse than about -5. Maybe we've got down to -8 once, but not into double figures. Stay safe (and warm!). 

Thanks.  We are getting a break.  Now they are saying -17 degrees.  😑   

My other good thing is that my bad cold (everyone is getting it here) seems better.  

I finally found my badly needed long underwear, which had fallen behind packed boxes. I also found the other really warm glove which had fallen behind other packed boxes.  I'm going to Dawes this evening despite sub zero temps.  Tomorrow and Monday we are going to get a foot of snow, followed by -20 F temps and -50 wind chills.  My car is starting just fine so all good.  

We had our writing group dinner today, which was a lot of fun.

It was supposed to be a pre-Christmas thing, but the 2017 one got delayed until January 2018 and we liked going when it's less crowded and easier to book, so we've made it a tradition :)

On 1/28/2019 at 6:49 PM, padawanbeck84 said:

We had our writing group dinner today, which was a lot of fun.

It was supposed to be a pre-Christmas thing, but the 2017 one got delayed until January 2018 and we liked going when it's less crowded and easier to book, so we've made it a tradition :)

Did you miss the publishing deadline for a pre Christmas get together? 😉

• Haha 1

I found out who has the other half of a two-part Star Wars trading card puzzle sketch I'm after. I've currently got the top half and need the bottom part to complete the portrait of my favourite character. I spotted it while watching a live box break in a card trading group on FB. The person was showing off their collection and I recognised the card on display. Pure dumb luck that I happened to be watching - or maybe the Force was with me :)

Now I just have to convince them to part with it for a price I can afford. Then Poe will finally be complete! 

3 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

T -5hrs TIL the end of Dry January.... not that I’m counting!

Congrats, Doc.  Reading this is my good thing for the day.

I've spent this morning getting on with my uni assignment and am making good progress :)

I put it off for several weeks out of anxiety, but now I've actually plucked up the courage to get started, it's not as difficult as I thought. I'm halfway to the word-count already and should have most of it done by the end of today.

Then tomorrow, I'll just need to check it through and send it in.

And start on the *next* assignment :lol:

Clearly the Force is with me this morning - I just found out I've won a rare Star Wars card in a draw run by our card trading group B)

I'm not keeping it permanently though - we had a gentlebeings' agreement that whoever won the "waffle" would send the card on to the artist who created it. Many of the cards in this particular set are done by artists who are members of our group and we want them to each have a rainbow of the different colour variations of their cards, plus any printing plates etc. 

I've never even *seen* a blank-back card before, so I shall admire it when it arrives, take some photos, then send it home to the artist.

I got to Florida.  It was close to one hundred actual F degrees warmer than a few day ago in Milwaukee.  I cannot hear anything outside and see all the stars-the thing I most love about central Florida.  It is dead silent.  Perhaps I'll hear a panther again or see the bear my sister recently saw.