illumination70

What Good Thing Happened To You Today (Continued)

It's my dad's birthday today so we had a day out in the car. 

We went to the Welsh Newport. And yes, me being me, I came home with some books :D

I also found a figure of my favourite Star Wars character Poe to add to my collection. Black Series figures are normally over £20 each - this one was reduced to less than £4! 

I just finished a huge workload where for the past couple of weeks working the Broadway musical "The Lion King"and on Monday night , the band Kiss was in town.

I went to a brilliant community cinema event this evening 🍿

One of our local community centres put on a screening of Bohemian Rhapsody and we got tickets as a birthday present for my dad as he's a big Queen fan. 

Directorial controversy aside, it's a very entertaining film - we clapped and stomped and sang along. I was still in nappies when Live Aid happened so I've only ever seen archive footage, but that section of the film was a real highlight. And yes, I spotted U2 (and the banner). 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 10:51 PM, padawanbeck84 said:

It's my dad's birthday today so we had a day out in the car. 

We went to the Welsh Newport. And yes, me being me, I came home with some books :D

I also found a figure of my favourite Star Wars character Poe to add to my collection. Black Series figures are normally over £20 each - this one was reduced to less than £4! 

Why (in the name of love) did you go to Newport?

3 minutes ago, doctornickriviera said:

Why (in the name of love) did you go to Newport?

Because Dad wanted to have a look round it. We've been to Cardiff, Swansea etc, but not Newport. So we went :)

A nice U2-oriented site gave me the gift of a lossless version of the Dublin ZooTV show. Now, that is a good thing. 😎

• Like 2

Well, the computer problems weren't a good thing - but I sorted them out all by myself. I'm not brilliantly techy, so for me, that's quite an achievement B)

• Brilliant 1

The comic book I'd been waiting for arrived in today's post. And even the opening credits page are hilarious - done in the style of the phone book Bill + Ted use to travel through time :lol:

• Like 1

Yesterday, I found the starter set for a 20-year-old Star Wars collectible card game in a charity shop. All complete, the full 160 cards plus instructions etc - for a whole £1.99 B)

I ran across this:   ( I will probably cry at one point or another )    I get to see Willie again and Dawes and the Avett Brothers and all the others and it's at Summerfest.  

Willie Nelson & Family, Phil Lesh & Friends, The Avett Brothers, Counting Crows, Alison Krauss, Dawes, and Trapper Schoepp Thursday, June 27, 2019 at the American Family Insurance Amphitheater.

• Like 1

I just realized there are three open dates before the above show.  Please, please, please...a solo Dawes show like the did in LaCrosse the day before the opened for ELO in Minneapolis.  Please!!!   

My mom is doing great.  I still have her laughing.  It's time to go home now.  One last day in the warmth and then back to Milwaukee for this Zootopian.

I was in too much head pain to go to mass but kept Ash Wednesday in perspective.  Music was a huge part.  'I reached out to the one I tried to destroy-but You, You said you'd wait until the end of the world.', made me finally feel Lent.  I love U2.  

I went to Manchester yesterday and found the CD singles of Mysterious Ways and Wild Horses in a record shop. I'm steadily catching up on these gaps in my collection :)

A Star Wars sketch card arrived in the post today so I now have a completed 2-part puzzle sketch of my favourite character. 

And the seller included some limited edition numbered parallel cards as a bonus :D

I'm home in Milwaukee after an extended stay with family out of state.  My new apartment did not get painted while I was gone.  (Oy vey)   I did not blow a fuse.  I'm not playing into the obsessive grapevine of gossip in my building.  The manager is being cool with me and that's all I care about.  I do care about others but these people are only in it to amp up negativity. My friends tell me I'm being too nice so I'm staying out of it henceforth.  We are also having a heatwave this week.  It should get close to 60 degrees.  I'm on the prowl for blooming crocuses and budding daffodils.  

Milwaukee also won the 2020 Democratic National Convention.  It's taking place a couple miles from where I live.   I'm excited.  

Posted (edited)

I made a home-made quiche which is part of my observing Lent because I'm trying new & different things atleast once a week.  In fact, I started "the journey" by making a Amish Oatmeal Pie last Thursday which was quite easy to make as a result of using simple, ingredients.

Edited by illumination70
  • Like 1

I quit smoking a long time ago.  I foolishly had 'just one', about a year ago, when I was drunk.  I quit smoking, yet again, for Lent.  It's now officially been a week.   

I also went from Atomic Bomb to Lemon a few minutes ago.

Happy Lemon to you too, Illumination 70.  ☺️

• Like 3

On 3/12/2019 at 11:17 PM, illumination70 said:

I made a home-made quiche which is part of my observing Lent because I'm trying new & different things atleast once a week.

I really like that approach to Lent, illumination70.  Home made quiche?  Yum.  Can you send some crumbs from your table in my direction?   

My good thing is that, after months of skating on thin ice, I got my best friend to admit he has feelings for someone who is unavailable.  I'm not telling him what to do but it's been killing me watching him keep in inside.  I was very nervous he would get angry at me.  He did not.  

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 5:51 AM, padawanbeck84 said:

The comic book I'd been waiting for arrived in today's post. And even the opening credits page are hilarious - done in the style of the phone book Bill + Ted use to travel through time :lol:

What is it called?   Do you build bookshelves weekly?   😊

4 hours ago, Manohlive said:

What is it called?   Do you build bookshelves weekly?   😊

This one was "Bill and Ted's Most Triumphant Return" 🎸 It's a spin-off/sort-of sequel to the films. Since I made that post, I've also found the next one in the series: "Bill and Ted go to Hell". 

I have some comics that I buy each month as individual issues - like the Star Wars titles, and then there are others that I buy in collected paperback editions as I discover them. 

And yes, I often have to rearrange my bookshelves to make space for them.

It's not my fault - people keep on writing things I want to read :lol:

• Haha 1