illumination70

What Good Thing Happened To You Today (Continued)

On 8/7/2019 at 2:58 PM, padawanbeck84 said:

I use that film as a reference point so much that "Ted-level woah" is a regular measurement and part of my vocabulary

Me too only it was years before the film and started with Cheech and Chong's Up In Smoke.  😝    I hope your sister is doing better.   I've been thinking about both of you.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I hope your sister is doing better.   I've been thinking about both of you.  

Thank you. She's on holiday at the moment and I hope the relaxation will be good for her. 

My good thing was that this week, after 8 MONTHS of being scared by it, I finally filled in the referral form my doctor gave me to apply for a mental health assessment. I sent it off at the start of the week and have already received a reply from the support centre. There is a waiting list, but at least I am now *on* the list after putting it off for so long. Hopefully I will be able to find some answers and get the help I realise I need. 

And this evening, I was able to order a rare CD from Amazon for just over £3. It's a charity compilation CD from the early 90s that features a song by River Phoenix's band Aleka's Attic. I didn't think I'd be able to find it on the UK Amazon, let alone at such a low price. 

On 5/27/2019 at 5:07 PM, peterferris8 said:

44964 - I mean, with the croissant situation, those girls kinda deserved that, based on that quote it went a bit beyond just not bothering with the lingo! I work in food service and let's just say, if you're an unpleasant customer, you're gonna get some very passive-aggressive service...I saw a quote from Bono where he says "Don't p*** off the pizza guy. You're gonna depend on him!" 

Needless to say, next time I book a trip overseas I'm going to download Duolingo!

On 8/4/2019 at 4:02 PM, peterferris8 said:

Glad to hear it! To us over in the UK he's like the American version of Jeremy Corbyn. If those two could get into office the "special relationship" between to the US & UK could actually be truly special.

On 8/4/2019 at 4:02 PM, peterferris8 said:

Glad to hear it! To us over in the UK he's like the American version of Jeremy Corbyn. If those two could get into office the "special relationship" between to the US & UK could actually be truly special.

Yes, I can vouch for Bernie's authenticity. All around good guy!

Posted (edited)
On 8/11/2019 at 3:06 PM, padawanbeck84 said:

I finally filled in the referral form my doctor gave me to apply for a mental health assessment.

I get bad depressions because of my head and other trauma. I've been through mental health assessments. They told me they were surprised I was not more depressed.  I attribute that to embracing music, dancing and laughter. You seem to have your own things you love.  Props, pad. You'll be fine. It takes a lot of courage to go but you will be fine.  Props!  ☺️

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

I'm still high from Melissa Etheridge last night.  She was amazing.  I've never seen anyone play guitar like she does.  The way she strums and pics is very unique.  Her voice is better than ever.  She still screams and I think of Janis Joplin (on my way home)  The band was hot.  Tenth row center seat.  I only had to tell one lady to be quiet.  When they guy behind me said, "Bullshit", in reference to me politely asking her to pipe down, about twenty lesbians turned and put him in his place.  He was outnumbered.  I'm still laughing.  It was a great night.

Woke up today with a massive migraine and slept all day.  I just woke up again and it's gone!!!   Time for tunes. 

I managed to eat enough today.  It's been very rough because I have no appetite. Legally prescribed marijuana pills help but I get sick of being stoned all the time.  I'm taking a break from them which means eating is very challenging.  I managed to eat three times.   It's a good thing. 

• Like 1

It is important to try and eat properly when you can. I was sick once from not eating enough - it was horrible. 

On a happier note, my CD arrived today. I was surprised when I scanned it into the computer and Media Player actually had the track information - I thought I'd have to type it all in myself. Even though I'm only probably going to keep the Aleka's Attic song. The lyric book has photos, which is helpful as I've never heard of some of the other artists involved - and some of the fashions in said photos... well, let's just say they're typical late 80s/early 90s :lol: 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

and some of the fashions in said photos... well, let's just say they're typical late 80s/early 90s :lol: 

Lol    One of the banes of my existence is knowing there are photos of me from that time period.  I want to run, hide and never come out again every time I see those darn inverted, converted and perverted pleats!!!   Thanks, pad.  I'm laughing so hard.  The fashion was awful and we thought we were so cool.  Then there is the hair...       :P

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

Lol    One of the banes of my existence is knowing there are photos of me from that time period.  I want to run, hide and never come out again every time I see those darn inverted, converted and perverted pleats!!!   Thanks, pad.  I'm laughing so hard.  The fashion was awful and we thought we were so cool.  Then there is the hair...       :P

There is a photo of me and my sisters from about 1987/88 or so. It has to be around that time as I'm only about 3 or 4 in the picture. They were in their mid-late teens and their outfits and hair are hilarious. Feathers in the hair, terrible perms, outlandish make-up and all sorts. Mum used to threaten them that she was going to put it on Facebook for a laugh. They didn't believe her... so one day Mum scanned it in and shared it with everyone :lol: 

• Haha 1

This just popped up on my Facebook memories 360 @ Wembley Stadium.. This means a decade has passed since U2 360.... how the hell did that happen!? 

Oh and phone cameras have improved a lot in the intervening decade!

F2AB91A5-A2A9-4BCC-A457-E92F23F52F1F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It's Irish Fest in Milwaukee.  All the Irish Terrier breeders in North America are here and will be at the fest.  I get to go see them all and play with the dogs.  I miss Bruff, my Irish Terrier of 18 years.  I'm seeing these people for the first time since he passed.  Telling myself I'm not going to lose it but I'm already crying here on my couch.  I'm very excited.  I can feel I'm going to get another but why isn't he here now?  Lol    They are the best dogs ever.  

I also get to see a lot of accomplished Irish musicians from across the world.   I'll be eating Irish Stew with soda bread.  Yum.    God Bless Ireland.   (please find me another Irish Terrier.)    

2 hours ago, Manohlive said:

It's Irish Fest in Milwaukee.  All the Irish Terrier breeders in North America are here and will be at the fest.  I get to go see them all and play with the dogs.  I miss Bruff, my Irish Terrier of 18 years.  I'm seeing these people for the first time since he passed.  Telling myself I'm not going to lose it but I'm already crying here on my couch.  I'm very excited.  I can feel I'm going to get another but why isn't he here now?  Lol    They are the best dogs ever.  

I also get to see a lot of accomplished Irish musicians from across the world.   I'll be eating Irish Stew with soda bread.  Yum.    God Bless Ireland.   (please find me another Irish Terrier.)    

https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/welsh-terrier#/slide/1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

Love them too.  I need an Irish Terrier.  There is no going back for me.   I wonder how the two breeds get on with each other.  Aerdale and Irish Terriers pretty much want to eat each other.  Oh man.  I miss Bruff but all good.  He would look at me for permission to run after a squirrel when he was free in the backyard but he would pull my arm out of its socket to munch an Aerdale when we were on a walk.  He'd dart so quickly that he flew into the air when he hit the end of the leash.  That look he gave me: 'Why'd ya do that? I could've taken him down.'   So many good memories. 

Edited by Manohlive

I offered to help get all the Irish Terriers, and the gear required to have them at a big festival,  packed up tonight.  They gave me a participant pass to get in free today.  I was going to pay $21 I cannot afford just to see the terriers again.  I'm going down today.  It's a good thing I was wearing reflective sunglasses yesterday.  I teared up a few times but it was wonderful.  I'm still part of the pack.  Not sure if it's hope and dreams-I think she may have one picked out for me and it's a boy.  I could be wrong.

Ward Irish Music Heritage tent-It's full of U2.  Very cool.  I did not have to give up any of the IE prints to get in yesterday.  I now feel like giving the ones I'm not going to use to them so the prints can go with the other U2 stuff..  If it goes on a wall for all to see-I think that's a good place.  Milwaukee is a city of immigrants.  We celebrate it. 

Posted (edited)

Oy.  I see I gushed above.  Thanks for the tolerance.

Earlier today, at Irish Fest, I was offered a seven year old female Irish Terrier named Regina.  I accepted.  She's beautiful.  I got to the fest, was handed a dog and told to go with her because she needed time alone.  We had about 45 minutes or so together.  They set me up and were watching us.  It appears I'm getting  her once final discussions have been had among the pack elders.  I am a very fortunate human being. 

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

While I was out today, I found two very rare Funko Pops that I never thought I'd find here in the UK. The shop is one I've walked past several times and noted 'Ooh look, they do Funkos' - but I'd never actually been inside before today. There must be hundreds of Funkos in there - including Bill and Ted! I didn't have enough on me to buy both, but the lady would only sell them as a pair. I asked if she'd wait for me to go to the bank and come back - no problem.

I went and got the money I needed - it wasn't a huge amount; £30 for the pair is *very* good considering it's over £20 for one on Amazon. They are so rare, she almost didn't want to sell them as they're the only Bill and Teds she'd ever found. But I assured her they're going to a very loving home. And I did a little air guitar right there in the shop :D

Seriously. I was skipping down the street, I was so happy. Never thought I'd find one of these, let alone the pair. Made my day. 

You find U2 (and F1 drivers) in the strangest places :lol:

My good thing for today happened at the library. I was there, just doing my usual thing, tidying up the children's section. A group of 3 people came in - and one of them recognised me. I didn't immediately know who he was, then he told me his name and I realised - he'd been a classmate of mine in primary school! It's got to be nearly 25 years since we last saw each other, but somehow he still remembered and recognised me. And yes, I was just as much of a bookworm back then.  

I also found 4 T-shirts this morning while browsing round some local charity shops. I was trying to find a pair of shoes and had no luck at all with those, but the T-shirts included 2 Star Wars, 1 Lord of the Rings and a Rafa Nadal one. Couldn't let them just sit there :D 

Posted (edited)

I can barely look at any screen lately.   My good thing is that I'm using the time to think and let go of being angry.  I've withdrawn from the people who live in my building.  Some are taking offense but I've enough crap without listening to their petty drama/complaints.  I still manage to see the people I most like in my building.  It's funny because most people make fun of them.  "Toothless Bob, etc."   I see Bob constantly suffering yet plowing forward despite it all.  I never even noticed he was toothless until someone called him that.  . .  

Edited by Manohlive

On 8/21/2019 at 3:26 PM, doctornickriviera said:
I found Bono where I least expected him.... on a tin of Sardines in the Azores!

BCA731F5-F5AD-454B-9778-E2A8F22C0D9A.jpeg

WT@ is this?   Could you please explain?   Sure made me laugh. 

When I went into the library today, there was a little parcel waiting on my desk. Wrapped up in carrier bags was a copy of '101 Sci-Fi Movies to See Before You Die'. Someone had seen it in the donations box and picked it out for me. I don't know who spotted it, but that's really nice of them - and yes, it is right up my street.

I also had another nice hour or so at art group, creating a portrait.

• Like 1

I was just offered another Irish Terrier.  I'm in shock.  I'm very touched and extremely happy.  How I took care of Bruff is turning into my getting another one.  It's emotional but a beautiful transition.  

• Like 1

The above Irish Terrier, named Regina, was better off in another home.  The breeder called me and was very, very gracious in telling me this.   I will not be getting her. I told her I want what is best for the dog over me.  However, the other breeder has been calling me a lot.  She wants me to take her dog.  It sounds like a match provided this dog and I hit it off-I hit it off with all dogs so I'm very optimistically cautious.  Her name is Rira.  It is Gaelic for spitfire or something of the sort.  She told me, indirectly, that she will just give this dog to me, or we'll work out something.  I called the lady who gave me Bruff.  She is at center of all Irish Terriers in North America.  "David, the stars rarely align like this with Irish Terriers."  I rather knew and felt that truth.  There are only 226 Irish Terriers in all of North America. There were over 500 a decade ago. They are considered an endangered breed.  I had no idea.  These people are making sure they are around for a long time.  I wanna get rowdy and have my arms full of dog nips and scratches.  They are getting $2,000 and up for registered Irish Terriers.  I could never afford it.  My gosh, am I a fortunate human being. 

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Manohlive said:

The above Irish Terrier, named Regina, was better off in another home.  The breeder called me and was very, very gracious in telling me this.   I will not be getting her. I told her I want what is best for the dog over me.  However, the other breeder has been calling me a lot.  She wants me to take her dog.  It sounds like a match provided this dog and I hit it off-I hit it off with all dogs so I'm very optimistically cautious.  Her name is Rira.  It is Gaelic for spitfire or something of the sort.  She told me, indirectly, that she will just give this dog to me, or we'll work out something.  I called the lady who gave me Bruff.  She is at center of all Irish Terriers in North America.  "David, the stars rarely align like this with Irish Terriers."  I rather knew and felt that truth.  There are only 226 Irish Terriers in all of North America. There were over 500 a decade ago. They are considered an endangered breed.  I had no idea.  These people are making sure they are around for a long time.  I wanna get rowdy and have my arms full of dog nips and scratches.  They are getting $2,000 and up for registered Irish Terriers.  I could never afford it.  My gosh, am I a fortunate human being. 

I once worked with an archaeologist who owned a rare dog. I can't remember the exact breed, but I think he was some type of wolfhound or similar. There were only something like 50 of them alive having been as low as 15 at one point in the past. She had to sign all sorts of forms - being an endangered breed meant she wasn't allowed to have him neutered as they obviously would want to try and breed from him once he was old enough. He was still only a puppy but already about as big as a greyhound. She brought him to the excavation site and was teaching him how to behave, where he was or wasn't allowed on such sites. He was a bit hyperactive so she was trying to find areas where he could do his own digging without disturbing anything important :) 

I think sometimes, with there being so many different domestic dog breeds, it's easy to forget that there are rare and endangered types just as there are with wild animals.