illumination70

What Good Thing Happened To You Today (Continued)

Still hurts but I think I managed to get a grip, put up my chin and go forth.  I managed to function today.  Irish Terrier fact correction:  There are 226 of them registered with the AKC every year-not only 226 in all of North America.  I thought that stat was weird.  I asked and was told so today when I visited M and her thee dogs.  I start housesitting and watching them on Tuesday.  I just finalized that my new dog will come home with me on Oct 19, 2019.  Kind cool.  My birthday is on a 19th, as are a lot of other syncronicities.  Bruff, died a year ago yesterday.  I'm freaking out at having another dog.  'Can I do this?'  Duh.  I had Bruff severnteen years.  It's weird but feels really good.  . 

Edited by Manohlive

From yesterday, but didn't have time to post last night. My dad and I went to an independent cinema in our county for a screening of 'Sneakers'. I'd not seen it before, but it was good. Surprisingly funny for a spy/heist-type thriller. Given that it's from 1992, the computers look rather ancient and basic now, but it's still an interesting film. And the cinema was really nice: you can have drinks and snacks and take them with you into the seating area. I tried to be as quiet as possible eating my crisps - I was practically eating them in slow motion  :lol:

The other good thing about it is that the cinema runs a library scheme where you can borrow from a range of DVDs, BluRays and film-related books. I borrowed a book on the making of Blade Runner that I've been wanting to read for ages but haven't been able to find anywhere else.

From yesterday: I was having lunch with my dad in a local community cafe when a woman came in. I looked at her and thought "I recognise her..." and then she spoke and it clicked... It was our former next-door neighbour who we hadn't seen for about 15 years!!

She recognised us and came over and sat at our table. We had a really good catch-up chat over lunch and a cuppa. I see her son around town sometimes, but hadn't seen her literally since she moved away from our street. It felt lovely to reconnect. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 7:03 PM, doctornickriviera said:

The first 14 minutes against Bayern Munich......

To be fair, Bayern wallop a lot of teams. Call it a learning experience :) 

I've been house-sitting and watching Irish Terriers.  I also watched a few movies.  I finally saw the return of the Jedi last night   it was pretty good.  I can't remember if the villain dies?  Don't ask me his name and I apologize, pad.  I thought of you a few times while I watched it.  Good movie 👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I've been house-sitting and watching Irish Terriers.  I also watched a few movies.  I finally saw the return of the Jedi last night   it was pretty good.  I can't remember if the villain dies?  Don't ask me his name and I apologize, pad.  I thought of you a few times while I watched it.  Good movie 👍

Given what we've seen and heard in the trailer for Episode 9, the Emperor might not be as dead as we thought he was :o They're definitely looking at Death Star wreckage in one scene, although it doesn't look like that wreckage is on Endor, which is a puzzle. Unless Endor underwent some radical environmental changes in the past 30 years... 

• Thanks 1

Yesterday I got up earl;y (5AM) to volunteer for  a walk for Alzheimer's where I helped with setting up  a table, cheering on the walkers and handing out shirts.  After my shift was over I went to a local Fall Fest, paid a small donation to feed a llama some mini carrots and a goat a small cup of grain.

• Like 2

On 9/26/2019 at 5:58 PM, dmway said:

I bet the process will really get going sooner rather than later. Today was a very bad day for the current administration. I wouldn’t be surprised if articles were drawn up before the end of the year. I don’t think he would be removed this year, but I think the House side of things could very well be done before Christmas.

The testimony from Fiona Hill today and Ambassador Yovanovitch last week - as well as the testimony that is yet to come as this week goes on - make me even more convinced that what I wrote on the 26th of last month is going to be the case.

Good. It needed to happen sooner, but at least it is happening now. (Let’s hope our soldiers return home from Syria safely too. Our current bungler-in-chief couldn’t have made them any more vulnerable, the Kurds as well.)

I received a parcel of trading cards in this morning's post. It means I have finally completed a huge 2-part set. It has taken 2 years to find all 400+ cards!

3 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

I’m hanging/holding on in this town today....

the lights haven’t gone down!

12E5E80B-AA43-43D8-8A27-4B7CB19A6948.jpeg

I lived there for two years for my husband’s job. 💚 He moved over a month before me and the kids. When he told me where we had a place, I thought “it must be meant to be”.

My good thing for the day....as it is early am, I’m just happy I woke up. 

2 hours ago, mich40 said:

I lived there for two years for my husband’s job. 💚 He moved over a month before me and the kids. When he told me where we had a place, I thought “it must be meant to be”.

My good thing for the day....as it is early am, I’m just happy I woke up. 

I hear that Patteson Court Landfill site is a highlight!

Edited by doctornickriviera
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

I hear that Patteson Court Landfill site is a highlight!

Hmmm...guess I never made it to the highlight then. Did think the Harlequin Theatre was lovely. And enjoyed many a pint in The Feathers in Merstham, which was technically where we lived but still part of Redhill. 

19 hours ago, mich40 said:

Hmmm...guess I never made it to the highlight then. Did think the Harlequin Theatre was lovely. And enjoyed many a pint in The Feathers in Merstham, which was technically where we lived but still part of Redhill. 

So in RedHill town you saw the pints go down on Mich........glug glug!😉

• Haha 1

A bunch of good things today: 

Grocery shopping:  $190-but after coupons and getting this much off for buying that-$89.  A lady who works for the post office is getting me great coupons. Watching the total go down over a hundred dollars was a great thing. 

I found out that not only is Dawes' new album recorded and mixed-it's pretty much ready to go (After the European tour).  They've now sold out Berlin, Cologne, London and Madrid.  New album and tour before the current one has ended.  10 or 12 shows this year-looks like another batch for 2020.  😊

I didn't melt the whole cooking spoon when I turned on the wrong burner.  It's still useable. I like that spoon. The bolognese sauce turned out very well.  

The depression of another headache cycle broke today.  The pain is still severe, however, telling myself I'm not going to jump, which I'd never do, gets very tired very quickly.  I hate it when I feel like a drama queen and the bright side of life does not matter-good riddance!!!

I found out that Pete Yornn is coming to my city.  GA tix are $30 and they are two for one,, which makes it $15 a piece.  That;s a steal.  He's a greaat songwriter.  I've been wanting to see him for a very long time.  November 17th-I get my wish.  I didn't know he was coming.  I'm going to buy the tix, tomorrow, at the box office, and avoid service fees.  I love Pete Yorn's music.  Huge surprise.   

It was a really good day. 

Edited by Manohlive

On 10/15/2019 at 2:16 AM, dmway said:

the Kurds as well.

History will judge us for ababdoning them.  It's unconscionable.  It's also unforgiveable.  I want all of us to see Trump sink and disapperar into his own muck and mire  They admitted that the Ukraine phone call did involve quid pro quo-that is my favorite good thing today-more dominos are tumbling. . I want that bi#ch thrown out of office and put in jail.  😒

big deep breath....

Edited by Manohlive
  • Upvote 1

After days of gloom, we had a nice sunny day.  The leaves are turning.  They're a bit dull this year because it rained so much.  They still look beautiful.  

I found a book in the library this morning that honestly made me do a happy dance - and I say that as the librarian :lol:

I found the Pan's Labyrinth novelisation, by Guillermo del Toro and Cornelia Funke, a lovely hardback edition with illustrations. I didn't even know our region had it in stock, so naturally I've borrowed it for myself.

I purchased a Jack o'Lantern shaped pizza today for my family and I.  Call me crazy, but I felt as if I needed to lighten up the mood in the house.

• Like 1

I counted my trading cards and I do indeed have a base set of the latest Star Wars hobby set B)

I bought a multipack of the UK version and got some nice cards in that too. 

I'm listening to the new Sterophonics cd and enjoying it very much. 

Is it me or does Don't Let The Devil Take Another Day sound like it could be a Robbie Williams song?   

Edited by Manohlive