illumination70

What Good Thing Happened To You Today (Continued)

Well.  I have not watched the news for a couple of days.  I need to change, or add to, my good thing above.

I just read, and then saw the footage of my current president being booed at the World Series.  A chant calling to lock him up ensued and it was even louder than the boos.  Yay!  

AND   Giuliani butt dialed a NBC news reporter while possibly furthering his own indictment?   This is a GREAT day.  :D

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

I'm listening to the new Sterophonics cd and enjoying it very much. 

Is it me or does Don't Let The Devil Take Another Day sound like it could be a Robbie Williams song?   

Yep I can hear a bit of Guy Chambers/Robbie Williams in that track.

im absolutely loving the Album

• Like 1

I've been assigned a swap partner in a music exchange I'm taking part in. We start this year's NaNoWriMo writing challenge on Friday and someone on the NaNo forums thought it would be cool for some of us to swap mix tapes/CDs with fellow writers. I've done a postcard swap before, but this is the first time I've tried exchanging music. We've each been matched up with someone who's got roughly similar tastes, so fingers crossed. I'm really excited to see what the other person sends me as I like discovering new music. 

Now I just have to work out what to send them. I'll put some U2 on the CD of course :D

I'sm listening to,  and somewhat watching, U2 Live at The Apollo.  Pride is playing right now.   I've been very bummed about the death of Elijah Cummings.  It just dawned on me that he and Martin Luther King Jr are together, at the same table and eating from God's banguet in Heaven. I already truly miss Mr. Cummings..It's nice to have happy tears about him.  (not pushing faith)

On 10/30/2019 at 2:41 AM, Manohlive said:

I'sm listening to,  and somewhat watching, U2 Live at The Apollo.  Pride is playing right now.   I've been very bummed about the death of Elijah Cummings.  It just dawned on me that he and Martin Luther King Jr are together, at the same table and eating from God's banguet in Heaven. I already truly miss Mr. Cummings..It's nice to have happy tears about him.  (not pushing faith)

I'm not religious myself, but I do like the thought that people end up somewhere. Like when Peter Mayhew died, a lot of people posted the GIF from The Force Awakens of Chewbacca and Leia having a hug, that wherever he might be, Carrie would be there to welcome him. You like to think friends like that get reunited somewhere. And even if people didn't know each other in their lifetime, they maybe group together by what they did and have a chat with each other. I can just imagine all the musicians from throughout history hanging out together and geeking out trying all the different instruments. 

I think that's the thing about mourning someone - we get upset that person's gone, but we're thankful that they lived and that we were around to know about them and their work. And we hope that, whatever they believed or whatever we believe about what may or may not come next, they're at peace.  

1 hour ago, padawanbeck84 said:

I think that's the thing about mourning someone - we get upset that person's gone, but we're thankful that they lived and that we were around to know about them and their work

The saddest part, for me, is that racism is still so systemic almost everywhere I go.  He fought it his whole life.  We need him.

My good thing is that I had to take my car into the garage, which is not good.  It snowed six inches yesterday, which is really not good.  It's cold and that is still not good.  The girl driving me home from the garage and I were talking.  Her fiance' was brutally beaten and punched with brass knuckles.  I told her the same thing happened to me.  It was one of those synchronicities you can't deny or can but it still exists.  We had a good talk about it all.  I was able to help her and she was able to help me.  Now is my car can not cost too much...  Lol   I had to buy a  used sob, I mean Saab.  😦   I'm being goofy.  It'll all get better.  It always does. I learned that from my father. 

I found a typewriter in a charity shop today. A nice and simple manual one that I can put on my desk and use - and it has a case if I want to take it anywhere. Given that today is the first day of NaNoWriMo, it feels like perfect timing to have finally found one. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

I found a typewriter in a charity shop today

I did not know him well. Ray Bradbury always said use a typewriter. He was the keynote opener for a writer's conference I attended for about a decade or so. I know several writers who use them.  I'm trying to find one.  I like them too.

My good news is that I finally found my copy of In Southern Turkey With Duncan Grant by Paul Roche.  Paul was a very dear friend of mine. I badly miss him. Someone stole a bunch of my stuff when I was very sick.  I thought this book was gone.  I unpacked my final box of books and there it was. It's a great book. It has a special inscription he wrote for me.  I also found my copy of his translation of Prometheus Bound by Aeschylus.  He wrote out the opening, in classical Greek, for the inscription.  My phoenetic notes of how to recite the opening in classical Greek were in the book.  They go back thirty-five years.  I thought it too was stolen.. I'm smiling and thinking of all the stories Paul told me about the Bloomsbury Group. (many quite scandalous)  He was its last living member. I was just a dumb kid in MIlwaukee who was lucky enough to have him as a professor.  I'm very happy to have these books again  . 

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I did not know him well. Ray Bradbury always said use a typewriter. He was the keynote opener for a writer's conference I attended for about a decade or so. I know several writers who use them.  I'm trying to find one.  I like them too.

My good news is that I finally found my copy of In Southern Turkey With Duncan Grant by Paul Roche.  Paul was a very dear friend of mine. I badly miss him. Someone stole a bunch of my stuff when I was very sick.  I thought this book was gone.  I unpacked my final box of books and there it was. It's a great book. It has a special inscription he wrote for me.  I also found my copy of his translation of Prometheus Bound by Aeschylus.  He wrote out the opening, in classical Greek, for the inscription.  My phoenetic notes of how to recite the opening in classical Greek were in the book.  They go back thirty-five years.  I thought it too was stolen.. I'm smiling and thinking of all the stories Paul told me about the Bloomsbury Group. (many quite scandalous)  He was its last living member. I was just a dumb kid in MIlwaukee who was lucky enough to have him as a professor.  I'm very happy to have these books again  . 

Amazing... and so glad you found the books safe and sound. 

For me, part of wanting a typewriter is because so many writers still have them, despite most of the world having moved on to computers and tablets and other devices. I think there's something very satisfying about being able to see the words going on to the paper right in front of you, immediately rather than with a computer where you have to type it all in, then print it out (and my printer does sometimes chew paper). 

Also with a typewriter, you can't get distracted by the internet :lol: 

I'm going to read the instruction book and try mine out later today (once I've sorted the trading cards off my desk and into their folders).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

I think there's something very satisfying about being able to see the words going on to the paper

I agree.  It also prevents headaches. A screen is a major contributor to migraines, etc.   I like the the mechanics of typing, hearing it, changing the paper and all of it.  I was a bit overwhelmed last night. I may have written too much.  I need a filter. I'm freaking out getting ready for a new dog.  I pick her up tomorrow, after several delays on both ends.  My good thing is that we are moving my armoire (finally) into my apartment.  I badly need the storage.  As for the Ray Bradbury comment-anyone could have spoken with him.  All you had to do was go the conference.  I was very fortunate.  As for Paul and Bloomsbury-I was a very luck and dumb kid who was smart enough to pursue being intrigued.  I had no idea who he was when I introduced myself.  We became friends because i just happened. I was not trying to brag. Pardon me if it came off as such. I  miss him.  Finding those two books was very emotional.  (in a good way)   .I also found his childrens' email addresses. I thought I'd lost them.  I've been out of touch.  I am a wreck about getting another dog tomrrow.  It's finally happening.  I

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 3:02 AM, doctornickriviera said:

can you guess where I am?

Not even close, doc.  Guam?

7 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

'm going to read the instruction book

Instructions???   That's cheating!  😜

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I agree.  It also prevents headaches. A screen is a major contributor to migraines, etc.   I like the the mechanics of typing, hearing it, changing the paper and all of it.  I was a bit overwhelmed last night. I may have written too much.  I need a filter. I'm freaking out getting ready for a new dog.  I pick her up tomorrow, after several delays on both ends.  My good thing is that we are moving my armoire (finally) into my apartment.  I badly need the storage.  As for the Ray Bradbury comment-anyone could have spoken with him.  All you had to do was go the conference.  I was very fortunate.  As for Paul and Bloomsbury-I was a very luck and dumb kid who was smart enough to pursue being intrigued.  I had no idea who he was when I introduced myself.  We became friends because i just happened. I was not trying to brag. Pardon me if it came off as such. I  miss him.  Finding those two books was very emotional.  (in a good way)   .I also found his childrens' email addresses. I thought I'd lost them.  I've been out of touch.  I am a wreck about getting another dog tomrrow.  It's finally happening.  I

Nah, it's not bragging - I love that people like that were so accessible and that you got to benefit from it. 

Also, yay on finally getting your new dog! 

I've sorted through lots of trading cards today - both the US and UK editions of Journey to the Rise of Skywalker. Even if I did forget to put the parallels in with the US cards - I had to go back through and rearrange the whole lot :rolleyes: But I got there in the end and have also done a good amount of writing. I only need another half a page by midnight to meet today's word goal.

1 hour ago, padawanbeck84 said:

Rise of Skywalker

I saw Star Wars in the theater, the day it was released.  My parents dropped us off while they did other stuff. We sat in the first row. It's amazing how much has changed yet Star Wars is still going strong.  

We got the armoire moved.  It went much easier than I thought it would.  The last stage of unpacking is proving to be quite challenging.  I'm out of room.  i don't know what to do with the rest of my books.  People undervalue books now that we have the internet and wifi.  For me, nothing replaces holding a book.  I love the way they smell.  I'm going to have to get rid of some.  I don't know what to do with them.  Such problems, hey?  😉    

My other good thing is that the lady who managed my building was finally fired.  I recieve no satisfaction in this happening.  She could not handle the job.  She was intimidating fellow tenants who are older and face enormous challenges.  I was constantly defending them to her.  It was ridiculous.  The new manager is much more professional.  I very much like him.  I did go down and wish this lady good luck.  I meant it.  I feel bad for her.  She's obviously depressed and faces her own struggles.. I hope she succeeds in defeating them.  

I met my daily word goal - I'm actually about 500 words ahead of the recommended daily word goal for reaching 50,000 by the end of the month :)

Let's hope I can keep that going through the  rest of the month. Although technically, we're now into Sunday, so I need to get on and write another installment. But that can wait until a more civilised time of day :P

I'm only up this late waiting for the Formula 1 highlights - the Grand Prix is in America this weekend, so the TV coverage is on much later than usual :wacko:

On 11/2/2019 at 7:28 PM, padawanbeck84 said:

the Grand Prix is in America

Dedicated fan.  This American hopes you enjoyed it.

Riri is sleeping with her head against my right arm while I type.  It is pronounced ree ree, not rear ah,  It rolls off my tongue much sweeter  I mention out of respect because it's Gaelic. She's confused and misses her mom.  Her mom probably cried all the way home.  My heart aches for both of them. I alreday love her.. She's beautiful.  She was in the other room earlier.  I called her.  When she came running out, I saw Bruff and her at the same time.  It was transcendent.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Dedicated fan.  This American hopes you enjoyed it.

Lewis Hamilton got enough points to win his 6th world championship so I definitely enjoyed it. One more and he'll tie the all-time record :D

I got my IE cds in the mail today.   California is now playing in my home.  I was at that show. 

Hamilton you say?  My best friend since high school is getting me a single seat to Hamilton for $69 and it's up front, in the orchestra.  He manages the box office. I did not ask. I did not think I could go but he called me..  I'm very, very excited. 

Riri is starting to warm up to me.  Little shyte has been crying to work me and go outside.  I woke up to a dog nose in my face at six am.  These last two days are the first ones I've woken up and not been crabby-wanting to sue the world-in a long time..  🗽

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

My IE CD set is on the way. I'm very tempted to sit here and try and track it via the postal website :lol:

I went out early this morning and finally sent two pieces of post that I needed to send. One is the mix CD for my NaNo pen-friend in Canada. I hope they like it. And yes, it has a U2 song on there :D

17 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

My IE CD set is on the way. I'm very tempted to sit here and try and track it via the postal website 

That ring is familiar.  It's a very nice gift, pad.  Bad head pain so I couldn't listen to disc two, today, as I planned.  It'll be my warm up for Auckland's show tomorrow. 

I've been watching the Counting Down The Days clips for TJT 2010   Day 5-Unless someone slipped me something funkcy-that's Ultraviolet Edge is playing.  Think it's a tease?  I can't stand it.  Oh yeah...one other thing...Is that All Because Of You?   Sounds like the same pitch Edge is playing but it's not the riff.  Are we being teased?   The live thread is up too.  I've never been so excited for a tour I'm not going to see.

It's my good thing for today.  Almost less than twenty-four hours.  I can't stand it!  

:Streets:

7 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I've been watching the Counting Down The Days clips for TJT 2010   Day 5-Unless someone slipped me something funkcy-that's Ultraviolet Edge is playing.  Think it's a tease?  I can't stand it.  Oh yeah...one other thing...Is that All Because Of You?   Sounds like the same pitch Edge is playing but it's not the riff.  Are we being teased?   The live thread is up too.  I've never been so excited for a tour I'm not going to see.

It's my good thing for today.  Almost less than twenty-four hours.  I can't stand it!  

:Streets:

I thought that clip was All Because of You as well - that would be amazing if they played that - it's one of my favourites. On Lego Rock Band, I even called my band "Intellectual Tortoise" after a line from the song :lol:

Ultraviolet was played on all the dates of the 2017 tour, so it would make sense for that to be in there. I cried hearing it at Twickenham. And Miss Sarajevo. I don't know if they'll still do that on this tour, but i hope so. It's a beautiful song.

Anyway, my good things for today: I picked up the starter pack for the new Lego Star Wars trading card set - and got an illustrated card of my favourite character in some packs of Journey to Rise of Skywalker cards B) The next couple of months are going to have me up to my ears in Star Wars cards!

4 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

I thought that clip was All Because of You as well

I'm going nuts trying to figure out the keyboard tease.  I know but can't think of what it is.  It somewhat sounds like Red Hill Mining Town but also does not.  Hmmm...  I love it.  

I almost forgot my good thing:  We got what is called an Alberta Clipper.  (Fast moving storm from Canada that bring snow and cold)  It's winter here already.  (not my good thing)   I was caught by surprise.  I took Bruff's old boots and put them on Riri.  It was hysterical watching her try to get them off, try to walk on a few legs as possible and such.  Very, very funny.  Today's the day she is really starting to warm up to me.  Now I'm in for it.   😎

Edited by Manohlive
oops
  • Like 1
  • Brilliant 1